IGNORED

The importance of a partisan crowd

Major Isewater

On 21/05/2023 at 10:36, BCFCGav said:

We’re a horrid home crowd at times. Turn so negative so quickly - it really doesn’t help the team.

I have to disagree with that. I think our support is, in the main, positive especially when the chips are down. LJ benefitted from a positive crowd on many occasions here. I recall early in Nige's reign looking for that elusive first three points at home and the crowd noise ramped up to help get that win.

Equally I recall playing Cov at home during the McWinless reign when we had Bolasie, Albert & Jon Stead where the crowd played its part.

I've been to many away games where the home crowd turn on their team very quickly.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Swede said:

I have to disagree with that. I think our support is, in the main, positive especially when the chips are down. LJ benefitted from a positive crowd on many occasions here. I recall early in Nige's reign looking for that elusive first three points at home and the crowd noise ramped up to help get that win.

Equally I recall playing Cov at home during the McWinless reign when we had Bolasie, Albert & Jon Stead where the crowd played its part.

I've been to many away games where the home crowd turn on their team very quickly.

I'm honestly just thinking of the most recent season. Many times I can recall where we'd concede a goal (a horrid feeling of course) and then right away the fans got restless to the point we were moaning and groaning and shouting at every small mistake. It's no wonder our attack then looks out of sorts, the players may see a pass that's difficult but could put us in a really strong position but think 'no, if I try that and it goes wrong I'm in the shit'. The crowd is too quick to turn support into just waiting to criticise. It's an area we can improve imo.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Packman said:

People keep going on about that Leeds game like the crowd definitely made a difference to the outcome of the game, we'll never know. There's been countless occasions where teams have turned results around when the atmosphere has been terrible perhaps even toxic but nobody mentions them. Maybe it was just one of those things.

One of the best and most passionate crowd noise I've ever seen was before the world cup semi in Brazil, Brazil got battered 7-1, didn't help them much.

They were - as LJ would have it - over(ly) aroused. Too emotional. Sometimes a coach needs to bring a team down a notch or two. Even LJ, mind, with all his emotional intelligence would've struggled to get Brasil's arousal at the optimum level that day.

On 21/05/2023 at 10:36, BCFCGav said:

We’re a horrid home crowd at times. Turn so negative so quickly - it really doesn’t help the team.

So agree with this. I only get to get to few games with my grandsons at home these days. But I always much prefer going away where the traveling refs really do get behind the team. Looking forward to my grandsons being old enough to do away trips.

• Like 1

On 21/05/2023 at 13:56, Midred said:

Does having a home support on 4 sides rather than 3 sides of the pitch help as well. Squashing the away support into a corner or up away from the pitch is desirable. 

That's something to be considered with any future ground development as AG.

Exactly. Been whinging on since the ground redevelopment. City fans in Atyeo. Away lot top tier Lansdown corner next to Atyeo. I know needs lot of fan division and access points work. But come on SL hand in pocket and really help the boys on the pitch. We can make the gate a hell hole for away teams. Lets  make the gate a horrible experience for away teams.

• Like 1