IGNORED

The Injured List

BCFCGav

11 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Do you not think our availability has improved out of all recognition since Dave Rennie arrived? Weimann returned under him & then didn’t miss a single game the following season.

Hardly “so many” injuries, is it?

I would expect we are pretty much in the middle of the table regarding player availability & would be interested to know for instance how we could have stopped Atkinson & Benarous doing their ACLs.

It did for a bit but bare in mind we brought new players in so we couldn't do that without them being fit. I would call 6 injuries before the season even kicks off pretty heavy, especially when one is your lead striker and another is your brand new signing who's longest injury prior to this was 3 games missed due to corona virus and now he's out for "59 days".

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Bit more of an interview with Fleming. Mentions a few others. Naismith seems be the one that will be out the longest 

The key bit:

Kal Naismith is yet to play in pre-season and once again wasn’t in either squad for Tuesday’s matches against Exeter City and Cheltenham. New signing Ross McCrorie played last week against Swindon Town but was missing for the weekend double-header against Newport County and Oxford United and again on Tuesday.

Andi Weimann, meanwhile, played and scored in the 4-1 win over the Us on Saturday but has since been suffering with a bruised foot.

Fleming wouldn’t go into extensive detail over Naismith but accepted he has been dealing with several niggles, while raising the fact the whole season needs to be taken into consideration rather than just the first game, indicating the Scot is a doubt for the start of the campaign. McCrorie’s problem seems minor but unless the right-back is involved against Portsmouth on Saturday it seems unlikely he’ll be in consideration to face Preston.

“Kal’s not far away, we’re just being a little bit careful because he’s had a couple of niggles as we’ve gone on,” Fleming added. “The season isn’t August 5, we average 54 games in a season, so it’s important to have everything right.

“It’s the same with Ross, it’s a little niggle. And Andi has bruised the bottom of his foot, so it’s not a bad injury, it’s just every time he plants his foot it’s like being on glass. He’s grand, we’re just getting the ice on it. They’re not major, they’re not months away, they’re days and weeks, so that for us is very good.

“If you're a player now, at this time of the season, you’re trying to calm them down. They say two days’ rest saves you two weeks. Sometimes three days' rest will save you two months. So it’s just calming them down. They’re all working hard but at the moment we’re just being careful.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

As per @GrahamC re Rennie, the amount of games lost to muscle injuries has dropped drastically.  Compare that to the muscle injuries and subsequent re-occurrences we saw.

Contact injuries, whether in training or in matches there ain’t a lot you can do about.

ACLs are often freak in how they happen…but I do think the speed of the game, the hard-pitches (underneath) they play on have an impact.  They are becoming almost as regular as the cartilage injuries of the 70s and 80s.

Essentially we’ve been playing two mixed up 11s through pre-season, not having Naismith for game 1 is not as important as having him for more games when he’s properly back.  Rushing now may lead to re-occurrence later.

We are still in good shape.

• Like 3

That’s disappointing to read, though the general point about having players available for the majority of games & not simply the start is spot on.

We’ll know more after the Pompey game & maybe McCrorie could still be back by Preston, but on this basis it looks like Tanner, Vyner, Dickie & either Pring or Roberts will start the first one.

We should have clarity on Kalas by then so if it is confirmed that he’s gone & then depending on the prognosis for Naismith maybe we will look to add another?

• Admin
1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

We should have clarity on Kalas by then so if it is confirmed that he’s gone & then depending on the prognosis for Naismith maybe we will look to add another?

Surely if he is unattached he can sign at any time as he is exempt from the transfer window

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Surely if he is unattached he can sign at any time as he is exempt from the transfer window

Yep but surely he would want to sort his future out as soon as we stop paying him?

Just expect us to clarify the situation then, we don’t even know if our offer is still on the table.

Plus if he is coming off the wage bill that’s another saving.

• Like 1

• Admin
19 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Yep but surely he would want to sort his future out as soon as we stop paying him?

Just expect us to clarify the situation then, we don’t even know if our offer is still on the table.

Plus if he is coming off the wage bill that’s another saving.

I might be wrong and I'm sure someone will correct me, but I was under the impression that Kalas had bought land in Long Ashton and was building new property? 

Maybe I got the wrong player 

3 minutes ago, phantom said:

I might be wrong and I'm sure someone will correct me, but I was under the impression that Kalas had bought land in Long Ashton and was building new property? 

Maybe I got the wrong player 

Nope, that’s definitely the case.

Could well be that is his long term plan whatever happens to his career in the next few years though, especially as his partner is from here.

Let’s say a Coventry or Cardiff offer him something, he could commute or live there part of the week whilst this gets built.

21 hours ago, Just8 said:

Hate that term. It usually implies they're faking it or making a meal of it and shows a complete lack of empathy for a player who may be going through a difficult period and who we're meant to support.

Fair enough. Don’t mean it in a derogatory way against Naismith himself at all. Shall I try again?…

Seems like Naismith is quite injury prone at the moment which is a frustrating one for him and us. We need him available more than he was last year, especially with Atkinson out for another few months. 

• Robin 1

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Nope, that’s definitely the case.

Could well be that is his long term plan whatever happens to his career in the next few years though, especially as his partner is from here.

Let’s say a Coventry or Cardiff offer him something, he could commute or live there part of the week whilst this gets built.

He could live with the future in-laws! ???

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, B-Rizzle said:

Fair enough. Don’t mean it in a derogatory way against Naismith himself at all. Shall I try again?…

Seems like Naismith is quite injury prone at the moment which is a frustrating one for him and us. We need him available more than he was last year, especially with Atkinson out for another few months. 

You're not wrong about him being dissappointingly absent. We were notably better with him in the squad with both our purple patches last season coinciding with his presence in the team. Fingers crossed they're being cautious and he'll be back soon after the season starts.

Some welcome returns to the squad for our final pre-season game. 1 week til the real stuff. The boredom is almost over!

Injured:

McCrorie

Atkinson

Naismith

Benarous

Take a 3-0 loss today with a clean bill of health!

And with that, pre-season is done and dusted (barring an away kit I’m convinced the club are too scared to release!).

Assuming no new injuries or returns, we should have all available to start against PNE barring:

Injured:

McCrorie

Atkinson

Naismith

Benarous

I think the keeper and back 4 picks itself, and the midfield may well be Scott, James, Knight. Front three harder to call with all the forwards staking a good claim this pre-season.

I’m so happy football is back next weekend ? COYR! ?⚪?⚪

3 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

And with that, pre-season is done and dusted (barring an away kit I’m convinced the club are too scared to release!).

Assuming no new injuries or returns, we should have all available to start against PNE barring:

Injured:

McCrorie

Atkinson

Naismith

Benarous

I think the keeper and back 4 picks itself, and the midfield may well be Scott, James, Knight. Front three harder to call with all the forwards staking a good claim this pre-season.

I’m so happy football is back next weekend ? COYR! ?⚪?⚪

So with Atkinson (February) & Benarous (last December) being injured a long time ago, the only 2 potentially missing as a result of pre season are McCrorie & Naismith.

As for the side I would be very surprised if the front three isn’t Sykes, Conway & Bell, which is slightly harsh on Nakhi & provided Scott is still here next weekend the rest literally does pick itself.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

So with Atkinson (February) & Benarous (last December) being injured a long time ago, the only 2 potentially missing as a result of pre season are McCrorie & Naismith.

As for the side I would be very surprised if the front three isn’t Sykes, Conway & Bell, which is slightly harsh on Nakhi & provided Scott is still here next weekend the rest literally does pick itself.

I wouldn’t be amazed if Cornick or Mehmeti got the nod to start to be honest. More Cornick than Mehmeti actually - I think Bell starts. But it’s a good discussion to be having - competition for places and all that! 

Edited by BCFCGav
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

I wouldn’t be amazed if Cornick or Mehmeti got the nod to start to be honest. More Cornick than Mehmeti actually - I think Bell starts. But it’s a good discussion to be having - competition for places and all that! 

Don’t think Mehmeti has done much to earn a start pre season & Bell has been prolific.

Sykes is such an underrated player, with another goal today too, take your point about Cornick but expect him to start.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Think it's a toss up between Wells and Conway.  are you thinking Pring over Roberts?

Just now, stephenkibby. said:

Think it's a toss up between Wells and Conway.  are you thinking Pring over Roberts?

Definitely.

Those are the only two questions, but provided TC is 100%, he’s our main striker.

Roberts has been really impressive but Cam has done nothing that means he should be left out.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Cornick’s bit of physicality earns him the gig in my eyes.  He was pretty good today too.

But would I be surprised if Sykes started?  Nope.

Wells and Conway have both been excellent, harsh on whoever misses out.

Against a ‘nasty’ PNE, I’d go with the experience of Wells over TC

Bring TC on to cause havoc with his pace in 2nd half…..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Cornick’s bit of physicality earns him the gig in my eyes.  He was pretty good today too.

I enjoyed last season when Wells & TC seemed to have that natural partnership together 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

For the first time in a long time, we have almost a squad where we mostly have two fairly equal members for each position and even a few who can also cover other positions.

In fact, I cannot remember such a situation before in my time and that includes promotion sides in 1955, 1965, 1975, 1990 and 2015.

I smell that a very good season is coming. This is where Nigel will really earn his pay cheque by keeping all squad members happy and doing their best to be first choice.

2 hours ago, E.G.Red said:

I enjoyed last season when Wells & TC seemed to have that natural partnership together 

I wish Nige would find a way to pair them.

Nige-luvver that I am, I wish he didn’t play 3 forwards across the pitch.  They are often too far part imho.

However our press in the first 45 was near-perfect today and with Knight (especially)and Scott breaking from midfield it looked really good.

So, what we might gain by me playing “Football Manager” and devising some kind of diamond or 4312 or whatever has to work with AND without the ball, in controlled possession AND in transition, etc, etc.

So, I’ll let Nige off! ?

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Listening to SOTC.

Apparently we may not, as per NP- see Atkinson until approaching the New Year??

ACL’s are a nightmare pop. Hopefully Nige is talking worst case there but with the nature of the injury, it’s always a long road back ? 

1 minute ago, BCFCGav said:

ACL’s are a nightmare pop. Hopefully Nige is talking worst case there but with the nature of the injury, it’s always a long road back ? 

Yeah an element of expectation management I hope.

Reaffirms my view though that one more natural CB would be very welcome- finances permitting of course.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Reaffirms my view though that one more natural CB would be very welcome- finances permitting of course.

Absolutely, we’re one light. Whatmough would fit the bill!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BCFCGav said:

I`d much sooner he said that than tell us he`ll be back in October and it doesn`t happen. It`ll be a nice surprise then when we see a teamsheet before Christmas and he`s on it.

We've got a strong squad so with Benarous and Atkinson I'm looking at them as being 2 out-of-window strong new squad additions to look forward to, hopefully in October and December respectively.

Fingers firmly crossed for them both when they make their comebacks; I think we'll all be holding our breath whenever Ayman, in particular, goes down.

• Like 1

On 31/07/2023 at 18:58, Mr Popodopolous said:

I think Nige is holding back on the last signing.  He wants to see if Naismith and McRorie are okay and the other defenders okay come the end of August.  If they are the money left will go on a keeper. If he thinks we need an extra CB, the money will be spent on that. There's also the advantage of saving on wages until then.  Expect a signing 2 to 3 days before the deadline.

When you think about it, it is about risk management.  There's a risk Max might get seriously injured, If he does then we need another keeper without question.  If Vyner or Dickie get injured we need a CB without question. 

• Flames 1

Personally can’t see Naismith getting a start before September even if he is fit and back training this week ,

done nothing since the Austria trip ( minutes wise ) that will put him a fair way behind the other players .

starting to become a bit of an injury problem ,  hopefully can put this one behind him and get fit .

as I have said before he does have a mistake in him but I generally feel we’re a better side with him on the pitch 

‘Knock’ for Scott. Deal imminent? Throw off Preston? Or he actually has a knock. Who knows. I’ll keep him off the list for now.

Injured:

Atkinson

McCrorie

Naismith

Benarous

Any chance we can pin this mods?

• Like 1

Alex Scott’s injury has the BCFC Shags confirmation - good enough for me. Nothing like you’re best player getting injured on the eve of the new season ❤️

Injured:

Atkinson

McCrorie

Naismith

Scott

Benarous

Tomorrow just got tougher!

On 03/08/2023 at 14:02, Lew-T said:

It was Tanner’s shirt to lose anyway imo.

Totally agree , not that Tanner needs someone breathing down his neck to keep him on his toes ( he’s not that sort of player ) but mcrorie on the bench will just give you that 1% extra drive . 
agree though Tanner starts for me 

No spot in the squad for the injured 5, as expected. Bajic misses out through competition, with HWR taking the bench keeper spot.

Injured:

Atkinson

McCrorie

Naismith

Scott

Benarous

5 out. One or two too many given our small squad size, but the quality we now have throughout the squad means a strong starting XI and bench today.

Here we go again then. Nervous, excited, desperate for three points. COYR. ?⚪

A point on the board is ok, albeit we showed some old traits - poor after taking the lead and poor late in the game. But it’s Matchday 1 - nothing won or lost today! Onto the Cup and a nice home win.

Weimann joins a growing injury list.

Injured:

Atkinson

McCrorie

Naismith

Scott

Benarous

Weimann 

Edited by BCFCGav

Certainly not excessively fretting and all sides will get injuries but I wonder, is the balance in training right?

Do we work them too hard or maybe do we do little with the ball and too much without.

5 injuries going into the Season and a 6th on Day One isn't desirable- okay McCrorie has the infection thing but the point remains.

Conway has torn his hamstring. This may be an injury crisis at this point, 7 injured in a squad of 26 is over 1/4 of the players. Of the players we gave squad numbers too, we have 19 left, not enough for a full Matchday squad. When will we become a club that gets some luck? Or just less bad luck? Hopefully it turns soon, let’s get behind the boys we still have until then ?⚪

Injured:

Atkinson

McCrorie

Naismith

Scott

Benarous

Weimann

Conway

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

Conway has torn his hamstring. This may be an injury crisis at this point, 7 injured in a squad of 26 is over 1/4 of the players. Of the players we gave squad numbers too, we have 19 left, not enough for a full Matchday squad. When will we become a club that gets some luck? Or just less bad luck? Hopefully it turns soon, let’s get behind the boys we still have until then ?⚪

Injured:

Atkinson

McCrorie

Naismith

Scott

Benarous

Weimann

Conway

Seeing as Benarous played for the 21s today & Naismith is apparently back in training they’re not injured, are they?

• Like 1

Just now, GrahamC said:

Seeing as Benarous played for the 21s today & Naismith is apparently back in training they’re not injured, are they?

I basically include any players who aren’t match-fit for the first team, so we know who we can expect to be picking from for any upcoming games. Great news about them both though, hoping we may even see Naismith tomorrow (in which instance he’ll leave the list - and save our season ?).

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Ever since this thread has started, we have been dropping like flies…

These threads were born out of the injury crisis a few years ago when we had circa 15 out. I would love nothing more than to support a club where this ain’t necessary ??

53 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

These threads were born out of the injury crisis a few years ago when we had circa 15 out. I would love nothing more than to support a club where this ain’t necessary ??

Like the Squad Updates thread I think it would have been better if last season's Injured List thread had just continued in to this season.

The Injured List has been going for a few seasons now and it would be fascinating (to me anyway) to see it all on one continuous thread from the start to show just how consistently bad our injury situation has been over the last few years.

Perhaps the mods could link them all together?

Is this possible @phantom ?

• Robin 1

40 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Like the Squad Updates thread I think it would have been better if last season's Injured List thread had just continued in to this season.

The Injured List has been going for a few seasons now and it would be fascinating (to me anyway) to see it all on one continuous thread from the start to show just how consistently bad our injury situation has been over the last few years.

Open to this ? would be interesting.

30 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

How are we conpared to other clubs in this league though? 

Don’t keep a close eye on others but I would guess the last two seasons we’ve been about average/slightly better than average. The season before that, and this season thus far, I think one of the worst.

• Thanks 1
  • Robin 1

25 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

Open to this ? would be interesting.

Don’t keep a close eye on others but I would guess the last two seasons we’ve been about average/slightly better than average. The season before that, and this season thus far, I think one of the worst.

I've possibly overreacted a tad then.

2020-21 was unbelievable. You're saying we were about average in 2021-22 and 2022-23? Or indeed slightly better.

So frustrating though, we have to be aiming at doing a bit better. Not as if we habe large resources and a deep squad, it is starting to look a bit dangerously thin.

Tanner, Vyner, Dickie, Pring, Roberts

James, Williams, King, Knight

Sykes, Cornick, Bell, Mehmeti

Wells

Who am I missing, seniorish or regularish outfield wise. No I am not including Leeson, Knight-Lebel or Araoye for these purposes.

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I only started this last season:

image.thumb.png.ea1eac91f24864e1a39e5771eee78308.png

Muscle injuries are a fraction of what they were.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Muscle injuries are a fraction of what they were

I was going to say the same yesterday, but couldn't remember who the interview was with that mentioned that. I think it was Nige, but possibly CF , stated that they had built up hamstrings and so reduced the problem along with a graph I believe.
Most of the recent injuries have been knocks or contact injuries haven't they ?

16 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I've possibly overreacted a tad then.

2020-21 was unbelievable. You're saying we were about average in 2021-22 and 2022-23? Or indeed slightly better.

So frustrating though, we have to be aiming at doing a bit better. Not as if we habe large resources and a deep squad, it is starting to look a bit dangerously thin.

Tanner, Vyner, Dickie, Pring, Roberts

James, Williams, King, Knight

Sykes, Cornick, Bell, Mehmeti

Wells

Who am I missing, seniorish or regularish outfield wise. No I am not including Leeson, Knight-Lebel or Araoye for these purposes.

Easy to be frustrated, I wouldn’t call it an overreaction. It’s certainly very frustrating. Law of averages says we’ll have a season soon where it all clicks, and it’ll be penalties and availability galore ?

• Like 1

Naismith back on the bench is a massive boon. Smart as well not to throw him straight in, more likely to need him against Millwall. Yebaoh on the bench due to dwindling numbers, be cool to see him get a run out. 

Injured:

Atkinson

McCrorie

Scott

Benarous

Weimann

Conway

Edited by BCFCGav
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BCFCGav said:

Naismith back on the bench is a massive boon. Smart as well not to throw him straight in, more likely to need him against Millwall. Yebaoh on the bench due to dwindling numbers, be cool to see him get a run out. 

Injured:

Atkinson

McCrorie

Scott  (not our player) ???

Benarous

Weimann

Conway

• Sad 1

Hopefully a clean bill of health from a dominant win tonight, no sign of any injuries. In a week where our two star-boys are tearing hamstrings and chasing premier league dreams, battering Oxford and silencing that away end helped a little.

He stays on the list til it’s confirmed ??

Injured:

Atkinson

McCrorie

Scott

Benarous

Weimann

Conway

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BCFCGav said:

Hopefully a clean bill of health from a dominant win tonight, no sign of any injuries. In a week where our two star-boys are tearing hamstrings and chasing premier league dreams, battering Oxford and silencing that away end helped a little.

He stays on the list til it’s confirmed ??

Injured:

Atkinson

McCrorie

Scott

Benarous

Weimann

Conway

Atkinson    - New Year(ish)

McCrorie   - Who knows ?

Benarous   - Fit, played for U-21s this week

Weimann   - Possibly ok for Saturday

Conway     - End of October(ish)

So, two out long term and one that is a mystery.

42 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Atkinson    - New Year(ish)

McCrorie   - Who knows ?

Benarous   - Fit, played for U-21s this week

Weimann   - Possibly ok for Saturday

Conway     - End of October(ish)

So, two out long term and one that is a mystery.

The McCrorie one is certainly new ground for me, 'bacterial infection'. Sounds more ill than injured. Looking forward to seeing him play.

• The topic was pinned