IGNORED

It’s not just Bristol

redkev

Went over to Cardiff today with Mrs Kev for some retail therapy ( always prefer Cardiff shopping ) and a couple of ??, I always look out for the sheepshaggers whilst I’m wandering around behind her laden with Primark ( I mean Armani bags ) but today no sign of them . 3 Man Utd shirts /  6 Chelsea shirts ( near station so probably on way to game ) 2 Liverpool Shirts ( sat in boozer I was in so not going to game ) 1 Newcastle shirt 1 Arsenal shirt 2 qpr shirts again near station so probably heading back to London 1 wales shirt but pride of place goes to bloke walking loud & proud around shopping centre with England shirt on ?  , also a lad with a Swansea track suit top 

so as the title says it’s not just Bristol where you see the plastic prem fans 

Edited by redkev
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, RUSSEL85 said:

Dare I say it but would like to see Cardiff shirts in Cardiff and Bristol City and Rovers shirts in Bristol opposed to Chelsea, Man C, Man U etc. Respect  folk who follow their local team (yes, including Gas) rather than Premier League. 

Two cases in point - Plymouth and Exeter. You are much more likely to see folks in Argyle or Grecian shirts round the town than PL ones. I find it refreshing.

• Like 14

1 hour ago, redkev said:

Went over to Cardiff today with Mrs Kev for some retail therapy ( always prefer Cardiff shopping ) and a couple of ??, I always look out for the sheepshaggers whilst I’m wandering around behind her laden with Primark ( I mean Armani bags ) but today no sign of them . 3 Man Utd shirts /  6 Chelsea shirts ( near station so probably on way to game ) 2 Liverpool Shirts ( sat in boozer I was in so not going to game ) 1 Newcastle shirt 1 Arsenal shirt 2 qpr shirts again near station so probably heading back to London 1 wales shirt but pride of place goes to bloke walking loud & proud around shopping centre with England shirt on ?  , also a lad with a Swansea track suit top 

I picked my grandson up from a pro. football training camp at Newton Abbot and not one single City , Plymouth , Exeter or other local club shirts in view. Young master Isewater was wearing his England kit. 

• Robin 3

Can remember a couple of years back driving down Queen Street, Newton Abbot as the schools came out and a youngster was wearing a City shirt alongside his mates. Good lad. 

Torquay has good representation, shirt wise, around South Devon, more Exeter east of the Exe.  Certainly seems with the youngsters down here a greater affinity with the local sides.

The very few Gas clown shirts I’ve spotted down here are associated with old fossils on coach day trips from their Bristol care homes.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

my son is a Bristol City fan as he’s been brought up properly. The less said about most of his friends parents the better 

Absolutely. Everyone knows they don’t have a choice. And nothing annoys me more when they do a stupid “Sui” chant that Ronaldo does. My word it boils my piss!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 1

I took my grand daughter to the inflatables park which is visiting Portishead again this year. I must have seen 6 -10 City shirts on both boys and girls, I saw one in his jesters outfit too. I was tempted to say something to the parents of the lad in a Barca shirt, but then they started talking to eachother in Spanish, so I thought that was fair enough. :)

I Don't know where in Spain they were from though obviously!

Generally I expect to see more out of town teams represented here because there are a lot of people who are here on contract from all over the country.

Recently had 10 nights in Italy, lakes and mountains.

Saw only 1 football shirt the whole time, a Man U shirt on a young girl.

Was also in Italy for the World Cup 2006 around when they beat Germany in the semi. No flags on houses or cars, no shirts being worn. Mind you when they won the semi the town went nuts, all the locals from nearby villages came into town in farm trucks and tractors and spent the night driving around sounding horns and waving flags.

My father in law wanted an Italian football shirt brought back but I had to wait until the airport duty free before I could find on on sale.

Football shirts seems to be a British thing apart from Germany or do I have that wrong?

4 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I took my grand daughter to the inflatables park which is visiting Portishead again this year. I must have seen 6 -10 City shirts on both boys and girls, I saw one in his jesters outfit too. I was tempted to say something to the parents of the lad in a Barca shirt, but then they started talking to eachother in Spanish, so I thought that was fair enough. :)

I Don't know where in Spain they were from though obviously!

Generally I expect to see more out of town teams represented here because there are a lot of people who are here on contract from all over the country.

What were you “tempted” to say to the kids parents in a Barca top?

It’s none of your business what football tops kids wear. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

Was also in Italy for the World Cup 2006 around when they beat Germany in the semi. No flags on houses or cars, no shirts being worn. Mind you when they won the semi the town went nuts, all the locals from nearby villages came into town in farm trucks and tractors and spent the night driving around sounding horns and waving flags.

My father in law wanted an Italian football shirt brought back but I had to wait until the airport duty free before I could find on on sale.

Football shirts seems to be a British thing apart from Germany or do I have that wrong?

Italians have too much style to wear sweat shop made football shirts!  Their football scarves are great though and the big accessory for Italian fans 

2 hours ago, Lewisdabaron said:

I could be wrong but I think they were making a joke

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

No it’s pretty much universal. It used to be scarves and hats but now people are brainwashed into buying a shirt to show how good a supporter they are. 

• Like 2

When I was a kid I loved all sorts of football shirts, and I’m still somewhat of a collector.

My grandparents in particular would often bring me back a shirt when they went on holiday.

I remember having Dundee, Newcastle, Arsenal, Ajax, Olympiakos, Panathinaikos, AEK Athens, Parma to name a few plus a USA shirt. Doesn’t necessarily mean anything if kids wear different shirts, especially young lads while they are trying to fit in.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

24 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

When I was a kid I loved all sorts of football shirts, and I’m still somewhat of a collector.

My grandparents in particular would often bring me back a shirt when they went on holiday.

I remember having Dundee, Newcastle, Arsenal, Ajax, Olympiakos, Panathinaikos, AEK Athens, Parma to name a few plus a USA shirt. Doesn’t necessarily mean anything if kids wear different shirts, especially young lads while they are trying to fit in.

It’s called having some culture ?

1 hour ago, CyderInACan said:

This is one thing that City have got spot on - the free shirt with the U12s season ticket. 

Perhaps, no doubt there is a big uptake as tickets are so cheap. But when my two were small I bought them their ST's and shirts anyway. So I think the club got more money out of me.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, redkev said:

Odd thing about Cardiff is that for a capital city (didn't become one until 1950), it is very provincial. However, this doesn't even give it a redeeming sense of place - you really could be anywhere.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Lewisdabaron said:

On the Rovers thread you are literally backing the bloke who said he hurled Dogs abuse at a bloke at Paddington who was with his kids wearing Rovers shirts & claiming that those who are shooting him down for it are "grown men crying about it"..!!

• Thanks 1

Growing up replica football shirts were unheard of so it’s not something that I ever got into. However since the introduction of the PL and high level of TV coverage we’re are exposed to masses of live football.

The more successful clubs, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea both Manchester clubs have largely youngsters see it as prestigious to wear that clubs shirt. The fact many have never been to actual match is neither here or there

In Nailsea it’s the same - lots of kids wearing PL club shirts and very few Bristol City ones. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, redkev said:

In Cardiff's defence, I live in Cardiff and don't frequent the town centre and that's when you see all the Cardiff shirts, most of the people in the town centre are visiting from the valleys, tourists etc In my day-to-day life out and about around Cardiff I see way more Cardiff City shirts than Premier League shirts. I think it'd be the same for Bristol, if you go to the centre you're bound to see more Prem teams because you'll have people visiting, you'll have fans who don't go to any games etc

5 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Italians have too much style to wear sweat shop made football shirts!  

I think the 'made in a sweat shop' part is a myth.

Pretty much all of the clothing worn in Italy is made in sweat shops. In fact, there is a town near Florence, Prato, which is full of Chinese owned sweatshops. That's probably repeated all over Italy **

Clothes sold in shops in Italy with 'made in Italy' labels are absurdly expensive and not especially high quality.  A huge proportion of the populating are really struggling, especially in the south.

I will say though that Italians are very image conscious, as the saying goes, an Italian woman would go without food to buy a new handbag.  

Specifically about club shirts - in my experience, it's common to see young people wearing the Italian shirt.  During Internationals, there are flags everywhere!

** OFF TOPIC: .  Two reasons for this I think: 1. they have sold off a lot of their industries to China, Germany etc. 2. They can't compete head-to-head due to having to price their goods in the over-valued Euro, rather than the Lira.

Actually, all of my post is probably off topic.

Edited by Elmore James
I went off topic.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, MarcusX said:

I do the same now for my lad. He no longer wears them but it’s like a tradition, wherever I’ve been for work or pleasure, I’ll always bring him back the local shirt. I’ve got boxes full of random teams in the loft.

• Like 3

Proof of plasticity comes in the shape of Man U tops dominating 20 years ago. Saw kids all over the place proudly wearing their kit. Now it's Man City. They're the big boys now. So naturally saw a kid outside the chippy the other night decked out in full Man City colours, shorts and socks included. I see those sky-blues colours frequently now.

As Russel85 said, I'd rather see a Rovers top than Man City, Arsenal, or Chelsea.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

But what if they are not from this locality or have allegiances based on where their parents grew up? Migration is often a factor.

Obviously thats different - but 9 times out of 10, thats not the case.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, OneCity said:

Proof of plasticity comes in the shape of Man U tops dominating 20 years ago. Saw kids all over the place proudly wearing their kit. Now it's Man City. They're the big boys now. So naturally saw a kid outside the chippy the other night decked out in full Man City colours, shorts and socks included. I see those sky-blues colours frequently now.

As Russel85 said, I'd rather see a Rovers top than Man City, Arsenal, or Chelsea.

Easy mistake to make.

The sky blue colour is ours now.  Jon Lansdown told me. 

It was probably Lee Johnson in the training kit. 

5 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Blimey when i was at school if you wore a different teams shirt for everyday of the week, you wouldn't have fitted in, intact it was a miracle if our parents could afford one replica top, 

My parents couldn't afford to buy replica shirts, the only shirts I had were the season befores Blackhorse Boys Club ones as my Gramps used to help run it, and I used to help him do the pitch lines and put up the goal nets every Saturday morning!

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, SBB said:

I do the same now for my lad. He no longer wears them but it’s like a tradition, wherever I’ve been for work or pleasure, I’ll always bring him back the local shirt. I’ve got boxes full of random teams in the loft.

I’m kind of the same, but countries not clubs. 
Wherever we go in the world I bring back a replica shirt of that country’s national team. One for my son and another for myself. He does the same when he goes abroad. 
I used to wear them when playing 5-a-side. 
The ones from the far east (China, Vietnam, Thailand and Malaysia), although XL size, don’t fit our enormous western bulks though - they are VERY snug ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Also this has just reminded me

Someone in the away end saturday looked like they were wearing a Man United shirt, the new Green and White striped monstrosity

I thought that was odd, to actually go to a City game in a different team's top

Seen it before at AG on occasion. Don't get away that often but definitely seen it before- shirt of neither the home or away side.

Groundhopper maybe.

A family member of mine used to work in metals, and if I turned up at Ashton park school in a Scunthorpe shirt, I wouldn't have made the second subway, if the little city nursery firm, the tippex sniffers or member's of the tip mob, pulled me up, and I said it was a holiday gift, you can guess the rest

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

This is one thing that City have got spot on - the free shirt with the U12s season ticket. 

On this very subject, (and sorry if this has been discussed) any idea how to claim them this season? Both Children will want to get theirs when we head to the Gate this weekend (stock depending) but not sure if I have missed on how to claim for the shirts like previous seasons. Thanks. 

2 hours ago, SBB said:

I can understand someone spending a fortune on shirts to display but if they end up in boxes in the loft, clearly not valued, one step from the tip

19 minutes ago, The turtle said:

In malaga at the mo.

Seen malaga shirts everywhere (more than normal. (Having at least 3 club shops probably helps a lot)

But also lots of bilbao, lots of sociaded.

And of course, the international shirts from most of europe

I’m still hoping to move out there in retirement (well, Marbella actually, but I know that part of the Costa very well), if I can find a way around the post-Brexit 90 day rule. 
If this happens then I’d definitely make the effort to go to a few Malaga games - and probably make them my ‘second’ team. 
I’ve never had one to-date. 

19 hours ago, redkev said:

I’ve got quite a few friends from Cardiff, all of them either Liverpool, Man U or Arsenal fans none really follow Cardiff..

They are the first to slag the England National team off though or support whoever we are playing yet adore our English Premier league clubs. A confused bunch.

I’m in Buckinghamshire and playing for the work football team tonight.

We all generally wear a football teams shirt so we have;

1 Bristol City

1 Derby

2 Spurs

1 West Ham

1 Man U

1 Shrewsbury

1 Rugby top of I don’t know who

1 Celtic

3 Watford

3 Arsenal

and 1 guy wears a different knock off shirt each week. He had Chinas shirt last time I saw him!

• Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Im thinking about this now, boxes of shirts that could imply thousands, im thinking at least 500? Thats not unreasonable when you do the maths, is it?

Probably have 250-300 shirts, including all city kits. The money was never important, the excitement on my lads face not knowing which kit he was going to get and then watching him wear it to training/kick abouts, was more than worth it. They are in boxes for my memories more than anything, picking up a shirt the size of a car air freshener now and remembering how much he loved them at the time. 

27 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Me, too, the more I read the crassness of this thread, I honestly don't think some people got a clue, how bad they sound  glad im from a different generation tbh, to say spoilt I think many would agree

Next time I’m away with work, I’ll try and think twice before buying anymore and keep in mind you and your Nans scarf, if it makes you feel any better?

29 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Me, too, the more I read the crassness of this thread, I honestly don't think some people got a clue, how bad they sound  glad im from a different generation tbh, to say spoilt I think many would agree

You've posted a few times in this thead that I've no idea what you're getting at, but this has baffled me the most.

What do you mean by "the crassness of this thread"?

"behaviour that is stupid and does not consider how other people might feel"

I've not seen anything of the sort, it's been an interesting discussion about different shirts spotted and collections.

No idea what you're on about being spoilt

2 minutes ago, SBB said:

Next time I’m away with work, I’ll try and think twice before buying anymore and keep in mind you and your Nans scarf, if it makes you feel any better?

I think someone's still on the celebratory cides from Saturday!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, David Brent said:

We should do What Atalanta do and give a shirt to every newborn in the city. Bristol is a bit bigger than Bergamo though granted

Not hijacking the thread but had to acknowledge your new profile pic! Had me in almost as many stitches as the new collar! 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Yes Marcus I've told you how naive you are in the past, you might be able to wander around your village in a different shirt daily and expect not to be pulled up, love to see you do that on west street,  and as for sbb buying his son 300, shirts no not crass at all, we can all relate to that right

I think you've taken people owning different shirts bizarely personally

Where have I said I wander around my "village" in a different shirt every day?

Why would West Street be a problem? Rules on what shirts you can wear?

It's 2023, who the hell is "pulling people up" on football shirts?

Keep it a secret from the puller uppers in Bermondsey, but I wore my City shirt to Millwall on Saturday ? a lovely 1994 classic from my collection, shame you didn't spot me!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

I’m still hoping to move out there in retirement (well, Marbella actually, but I know that part of the Costa very well), if I can find a way around the post-Brexit 90 day rule. 
If this happens then I’d definitely make the effort to go to a few Malaga games - and probably make them my ‘second’ team. 
I’ve never had one to-date. 

Be warned, and I speak from personal experience, you will be letting yourself in for even more misery than City give you.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

I think you've taken people owning different shirts bizarely personally

Where have I said I wander around my "village" in a different shirt every day?

Why would West Street be a problem? Rules on what shirts you can wear?

It's 2023, who the hell is "pulling people up" on football shirts?

Keep it a secret from the puller uppers in Bermondsey, but I wore my City shirt to Millwall on Saturday ? a lovely 1994 classic from my collection, shame you didn't spot me!

You at Millwall who you trying to kid, did you turn up in full dundee kit?

7 hours ago, Spike said:

In Cardiff's defence, I live in Cardiff and don't frequent the town centre and that's when you see all the Cardiff shirts, most of the people in the town centre are visiting from the valleys, tourists etc In my day-to-day life out and about around Cardiff I see way more Cardiff City shirts than Premier League shirts. I think it'd be the same for Bristol, if you go to the centre you're bound to see more Prem teams because you'll have people visiting, you'll have fans who don't go to any games etc

On Cardiff , I must admit I do like it , very decent at night city centre & Cardiff bay , also prefer it to Bristol for shops .

I spend a fair bit of time there working and tbf most are a decent bunch all know I’m city and have good banter with them , they seem very similar type to city fans .

Also enjoy the roath area ( students ) for a night out some decent bars there also 

8 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

On the Rovers thread you are literally backing the bloke who said he hurled Dogs abuse at a bloke at Paddington who was with his kids wearing Rovers shirts & claiming that those who are shooting him down for it are "grown men crying about it"..!!

“Literally backing” ??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️

Maybe read my posts again 

51 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Incidentally I don't want to think im being unfair but did anyone here get bought 300 football shirts from I dunno 9 to 16? If so I bet your washing line was big as the Chinese wall? Mathmatics tells me thats at least one every other week, 

Should see the size of my washing machine. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, East Yorkshire CideRed said:

Funnily enough, I was on a rare visit to Bristol this weekend. Spotted 5 x City shirts, 1 x Rovers and the odd PL club, as I was out and about in the city centre. I was pleasantly surprised.

I do tend to see a fair few city shirts in central Bristol , not many clown outfits the odd 1 or 2 but far too many prem shirts I’m afraid