IGNORED

Pearson and Tanner Pre Hull.

petehinton

Hopefully that will be closer to a bluff than fact. Somewhere between 2-4 needed still IMO, accepting that Murphy is somewhat of a development player.

Gardner-Hickman and Murphy are welcome but we very much need to reduce the absentees and keep then well reduced moving forward.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Hopefully that will be closer to a bluff than fact. Somewhere between 2-4 needed still IMO, accepting that Murphy is somewhat of a development player.

Gardner-Hickman and Murphy are welcome but we very much need to reduce the absentees and keep then well reduced moving forward.

Really surprised that someone of your posting record is falling into this trap Mr P. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Including the 4 already signed earlier that's 6 this transfer window you can't just keep on signing players unless you think there should be 70 players in the 1st team squad.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Really surprised that someone of your posting record is falling into this trap Mr P. 

I mean, Port tbh the squad does look thin with the current potential and nailed on absentees. When that list eases things do look better.

Is Murphy for the here and now. If so that alleviates over a long season. I don't want us to risk FFP but is there a happy medium?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ORANGE500 said:

Including the 4 already signed earlier that's 6 this transfer window you can't just keep on signing players unless you think there should be 70 players in the 1st team squad.

This is fair, I've always thought an optimum squad size is about 25. 24, 25.

O'Leary, Bajic, Wiles-Richards

Tanner, McCrorie, Vyner, Dickie, Atkinson, Pring, Roberts

Naismith, James, Williams, King, Knight, Gardner-Hickman

Sykes, Cornick, Bell, Mehmeti, Benarous

Conyway, Wells, Weimann

Okay maybe then. If we add Murphy as well.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

May as well give up to be honest. What a joke if this is true. The current squad will not finish in the top half, if anything I struggle to see three worse sides with our lack of goal threat. Big worry, starting to envy Birmingham and their new era. 

Bye then.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

May as well give up to be honest. What a joke if this is true. The current squad will not finish in the top half, if anything I struggle to see three worse sides with our lack of goal threat. Big worry, starting to envy Birmingham and their new era. 

Yes given your negative outlook you should give up there must be something in life that makes you happy because it sure isn't following Bristol City.

• Like 7
  • Flames 1

Just now, And Its Smith said:

My prediction is there will be consensus around November that we should’ve signed a striker.  Lots who can play there but nobody good enough apart from injured Conway 

I mean I’d question if there wasn’t a consensus now……..

2 minutes ago, ORANGE500 said:

Yes given your negative outlook you should give up there must be something in life that makes you happy because it sure isn't following Bristol City.

Why can’t I show disappointment as a season ticket holder of over 30 years that we are not investing and maximising an opportunity whilst other clubs are. I don’t think we are a great side to watch, early days but with Conway out and Scott gone, the squad is lacking creativity and goals. We needed a striker before Conway was injured.  

Edited by Shauntaylor85
  • Like 12
  • Flames 2

56 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

My prediction is there will be consensus around November that we should’ve signed a striker.  Lots who can play there but nobody good enough apart from injured Conway 

Weimann through the middle has been rather effective in the past. More so than out wide certainly!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Either a bluff, or further confirmation that Pearson won’t be backed despite all the work done to clear the decks over the last 2.5 years, and losing Scott as the season started…. Kick in the nads. 

Discussed this on another thread with @Davefevs, believe the club will not be extending Pearson’s contract and decision made to offer any funds the new manager. Let’s hope it doesn’t backfire 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

25 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Consider we signed someone yesterday and about to sign another, how can you even say he hasn't been backed,

That would make 6 players through the door, they didn't come free and the club is still losing 300k a week,

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

You have much more faith in that than I do! 

Let's check his record shall we. Seem to recall back in 2018 he was excellent early on and the hattrick at Sheffield United in March 2019 said same season. He has been shunted all over the place positionally for a lot of his time here.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Either a bluff, or further confirmation that Pearson won’t be backed despite all the work done to clear the decks over the last 2.5 years, and losing Scott as the season started…. Kick in the nads. 

IF that were the case I wouldn't blame NP for telling Lansdown to shove his job !

• Like 6
  • Flames 3

1 minute ago, Monkeh said:

Consider we signed someone yesterday and about to sign another, how can you even say he hasn't been backed,

That would make 6 players through the door, they didn't come free and the club is still losing 300k a week,

I didn't say he hasn't been backed, just wondering if the squad looks a bit thin in some positions. Again finance means that is a risk but might NP look at a few other clubs (non Parachute) and wonder a bit.

2 minutes ago, daored said:

Discussed this on another thread with @Davefevs, believe the club will not be extending Pearson’s contract and decision made to offer any funds the new manager. Let’s hope it doesn’t backfire 

Why back him at all if that’s the case. When we improve our final position on last year I fully expect another contract to be offered 

• Robin 1

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Let's check his record shall we. Seem to recall back in 2018 he was excellent early on and the hattrick at Sheffield United in March 2019 said same season. He has been shunted all over the place positionally for a lot of his time here.

You can  check from 5 years ago all you want.  I don’t even think Pearson will play him there which tells you everything you need to know. 

4 minutes ago, daored said:

So if a decision has been made to not extend his contract, why not get rid now? Of what benefit is it to keep a manager here that is going to be leaving? Seems counter productive. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Eddie Notgetinya said:

Why back him at all if that’s the case. When we improve our final position on last year I fully expect another contract to be offered 

2 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

So if a decision has been made to not extend his contract, why not get rid now? Of what benefit is it to keep a manager here that is going to be leaving? Seems counter productive. 

Personally I would be offering Pearson a new contract , with the mess he inherited I believe he deserves the opportunity to build a team.

However, I don’t get the impression all is well in the relationship between owner, chairman & manager and I’d be surprised if Pearson is in charge of Bristol city next season. As for why not do it now , cost I guess if the board believe we have the squad that will be in no danger of relegation why go through the expense of replacing Pearson & coaching staff? 

• Like 7
  • Flames 1

30 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Conyway, Wells, Weimann

Christ there really isn't a lot to get excited about there 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, daored said:

Well that will be me done with the Lansdowns. 

And I will not respond to the obvious posts of "Bye then". It will be more "au revoir". 

In that event, I shall return when 'we' get 'our' club back.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Flames 2

27 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Because at the end of the season his contract is up. Far easier to dress it up as a mutual parting of ways. Which the majority will lap up 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Didn't Nige say the same last week about being up to the budget on wages, he has already signed one since and another in Murphy is due in imminently.

I'm hoping too that it's more bluff than fact.

• Like 1

Just now, Port Red said:

Didn't Nige say the same last week about being up to the budget on wages, he has already signed one since and another in Murphy is due in imminently.

I'm hoping too that it's more bluff than fact.

I think you will be disappointed.

Just now, Davefevs said:

Listened to both.

Tanner’s fairly standard

Nige a bit subdued, tetchy.  Think media knew this was one to tread a bit lightly!!!

I honestly wouldn't be able to believe that what we fear is going on actually is...

...if we hadn't seen it all before. 

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Listened to both.

Tanner’s fairly standard

Nige a bit subdued, tetchy.  Think media knew this was one to tread a bit lightly!!!

Nige probably had a hangover from his birthday celebrations.

5 minutes ago, Taunton_BCFC said:

No more signings :(

no ambition SL strikes again!! SELL UP NOW!!

Where’s the 25 mil for Scott going 

It's not actually a lack of ambition.

It's putting himself in the best position to get out, while simultaneously freezing out the best manager we have had in a long time because he doesn't like his style. 

(Allegedly) ?

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

Conyway, Wells, Weimann

Given that squad, if Nige can get us into the top half of the table that would be quite an achievement. We are kidding ourselves if we think that lots of our players are covered by other Championship teams. The goalkeeping choices are unbelievably thin, while goalscoring without Conway looks a problem. We only need a few more particular injuries and we are in bing trouble. As for reaching the Playoffs that would be a miracle nearly akin to Leicester winning the Premier League!

Conyway, Wells, Weimann

Given that squad, if Nige can get us into the top half of the table that would be quite an achievement. We are kidding ourselves if we think that lots of our players are covered by other Championship teams. The goalkeeping choices are unbelievably thin, while goalscoring without Conway looks a problem. We only need a few more particular injuries and we are in bing trouble. As for reaching the Playoffs that would be a miracle nearly akin to Leicester winning the Premier League!

• Like 1

Conyway, Wells, Weimann

That’s fine & you should work on premise of 2 players for every position so at face value we look fine. The reality is that at GK we have 2 understudy’s who have never played a league game & have Atkinson, Conway out until November & Benarous out again after 2 ACL injuries & unfortunately we have McCrorie out for an unspecified period.  That’s before you add in other injuries that will happen on top of the above & suspensions.  I think we all know we are light & even if we have numbers in certain positions the jury is still out regarding quality. Just seems we are taking an avoidable risk. Nobody is expecting multiple signings but to stop at TGH is crazy although I know you agree.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Superjack said:

??????

Just a reminder this is all speculation from fans on the potential lack of contract extension for Nige so I wouldn't get that wound up. If so perhaps it's his decision more than ours? We will find out sooner rather than later and that will be the time to get annoyed..

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

The journalists are so thick. If someone has already asked him about budget then what is the point of the second guy asking if he’d gonna sign a centre back?!

They're not as thick as me because I still don't understand what Nige referring to when he says there's no budget for wages and why 25m of pure profit doesn't increase that budget.

Edited by mozo
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

That’s fine & you should work on premise of 2 players for every position so at face value we look fine. The reality is that at GK we have 2 understudy’s who have never played a league game & have Atkinson, Conway out until November & Benarous out again after 2 ACL injuries & unfortunately we have McCrorie out for an unspecified period.  That’s before you add in other injuries that will happen on top of the above & suspensions.  I think we all know we are light & even if we have numbers in certain positions the jury is still out regarding quality. Just seems we are taking an avoidable risk. Nobody is expecting multiple signings but to stop at TGH is crazy although I know you agree.

I think that we are indeed short of quality in the GK department, but not necessarily because of the understudies. 

I have never rated Max O'Leary. But the argument always used to be that he never had a run in the team. Well, now he has. And I still don't rate him. I don't think that he is awful, but I still believe that he is a League One keeper at best. 

Both of the understudies are unknown to most. But at least there are two of them.

Edited by Superjack
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, mozo said:

They're not as thick as me because I still don't understand what Nige referring to when he says there's no budget for wages and why 25m of pure profit doesn't increase that budget.

Yes but how many times can he say the same thing and how many times do the journalists need to hear it?  The Lansdowns aren’t giving anymore money to spend for reasons only they know. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

Just a reminder this is all speculation from fans on the potential lack of contract extension for Nige so I wouldn't get that wound up. If so perhaps it's his decision more than ours? We will find out sooner rather than later and that will be the time to get annoyed..

Wise words and indeed true. 

But I would suggest that if it is his decision, it would be down to more than his 'bucket list'.

2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Thanks Robbo, it didn't need correcting, especially with bollocks. Do you really think any win at Millwall is lucky?

We're short of attacking threat and have zero presence in midfield. I wasn't at 'Wall but the stats tell a story. I did watch the Preston game and can say we were very lucky to get a draw - the traffic was almost entirely one way. We were poor. 

Just now, Red-Robbo said:

We're short of attacking threat and have zero presence in midfield. I wasn't at 'Wall but the stats tell a story. I did watch the Preston game and can say we were very lucky to get a draw - the traffic was almost entirely one way. We were poor. 

Everyone (those who's judgement I trust) said we controlled the game well and deserved the win. The stats mean nothing at the end of the season. We went to Millwall and won and even the Millwall fans admitted we deserved it. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, mozo said:

And they're also thick because, when told there's no headroom left in the wage budget, they can't think to ask whether that's because 1) we've chosen not to pay any more, or 2) we can't pay any more (cos we're at our ffp max)

I can't believe it's 2, so if it's 1 that opens up endless possible questions - instead of "when will injured player x be fit again?"

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Port Said Red said:

Everyone (those who's judgement I trust) said we controlled the game well and deserved the win. The stats mean nothing at the end of the season. We went to Millwall and won and even the Millwall fans admitted we deserved it. 

So, the bad games were our two home games then, which is what I wrote.