IGNORED

Steve Lansdown……..

BCFC1512

14 hours ago, RedRock said:

I think his interest waned during the latter years of LJ. Sure the idea was to pass responsibility for the running of the Club to Jon, assisted by MA with (relatively) small cash injections as necessary. He was planning to going off to enjoy a leisurely retirement watching City from afar.

Jon though went awol and MA seemed to just take control for his own benefit.

Steve has been lumbered with the overseeing the running of the Club, which over the last few Seasons has cost him £10 millions annually. I suspect he derives little enjoyment from his involvement. Frankly, probably views it as a right pain in the ar$e. Think he has had more than enough. Think most of us in his position would be of a similar mind.

Clearly bad judgements were made on appointments, when to invest and when not, the lack of building a decent scouting network and a plan to build a cohesive team. However, on the upside we now have a decent stadium, training facility and an Academy the envy of many. I think the Bristol Sport concept is sound too and IF the sporting quarter is delivered, a unique sporting complex and one to be proud of. 

The Holy Grail has not been delivered though and, ultimately, he will be judged on that by many. However, solid foundations are in place to push on to the next stage. Vital now he passes the baton on to someone who has the means and ability to realise our dream. Fear is if it’s a Glazer-type enterprise then everything he’s invested in the Club is likely to be rendered worthless. I’ll judge Steve’s involvement in our Club based on who takes over. 

If you are Steve, just how well do you want your successor to do, though? You wouldn't want them doing too well, would you?

Imagine you're Steve, and you sell up to whoever, and they move in and swiftly make some strategic changes, new CEO, new Head Coach and so on, and then, in their first full season, Bristol City fly, finish in the top six, fail heroically, make a small fortune/nest egg, and second full season, the new owner takes us to promotion.

If you're Steve, you're thinking: Ffs!

Imagine you're Steve, and you sell up, and we go up (and stay up), and nobody misses you. Not even those that defended you to the end. That's got to hurt?

If you’re Steve, and you sell the City, you don't want the owners doing that well, do you? Not really, deep down. That's got to be a quiet thought he has to himself, once in a while?

You want to be missed, a bit. Or more than a bit. You want the gobby ****ers that told you you knew nothing about football to eat their words. And they won't be doing that if the new bloke/owner is too successful, too quickly.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

7 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

If you are Steve, just how well do you want your successor to do, though? You wouldn't want them doing too well, would you?

Imagine you're Steve, and you sell up to whoever, and they move in and swiftly make some strategic changes, new CEO, new Head Coach and so on, and then, in their first full season, Bristol City fly, finish in the top six, fail heroically, make a small fortune/nest egg, and second full season, the new owner takes us to promotion.

Imagine you're Steve, and you sell up, and we go up (and stay up), and nobody misses you. Not even those that defended you to the end. That's got to hurt?

If you’re Steve, and you sell the City, you don't want the owners doing that well, do you? Not really, deep down. That's got to be a quiet thought he has to himself, once in a while?

You want to be missed, a bit. Or more than a bit. You want the gobby ****ers that told you you knew nothing about football to eat their words. And they won't be doing that if the new bloke/owner is too successful, too quickly.

Pearson should just walk. I would. An absolute farce from the owners and board. Disgusting way to treat the management and fans. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

6 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Pearson should just walk. I would. An absolute farce from the owners and board. Disgusting way to treat the management and fans. 

Thankfully Nige is made of sterner stuff (he fights wolves you know)

He’ll stay the course, for the players and staff he’s brought in as much as anything. 

• Like 1

On 30/08/2023 at 21:08, RedRoss said:

Oh no.. think we're heading for a new cringey period of painted bedsheet banners outside Ashton Gate but now with SL.

All after a few flat performances and we've only lost once in the league and its not even September.

It's not cringey whatsoever. Only way to get noticed. What do you expect? Request of an appointment with our glorious owner?

Unfortunately with us it would never work because our fan base has a fair number of apathetic people who are just happy enough to sit back and not give a toss

Edited by Keepers Ball
  • Like 2

On 30/08/2023 at 20:08, RedRoss said:

Oh no.. think we're heading for a new cringey period of painted bedsheet banners outside Ashton Gate but now with SL.

All after a few flat performances and we've only lost once in the league and its not even September.

I don't think it is results, I don't even think it's a couple of flat home performances.

It is more like a culmination of factors:

1) 1.5-2 years of wholly necessary austerity as we worked through some major losses to avoid failing FFP.

2) The star player who went inevitably, despite best hopes netted us a record fee.

3) Our squad is reasonably balanced but thin. Maybe when all fit a creator light, a CB light and a keeper light- loan out the least likely to challenge out of Bajic and Wiles-Richards.

4) NP has played a pivotal role to set up these stronger foundations. Once the Scott money arrived it was now the time to back him in these key areas of the pitch.

Some of this, even if we take a more cautious path financially that is disappointing but not impossible to believe.

What really disappoints me is the void at the top. All that strong work by NP yet he is having to explain it all away.

There was no pre season interview with either SL or the CEO. The bits by SL were on a Guernsey platform about the whole nest egg.

From all the optimism of 6 weeks ago we are in quite a different place. The silence of the top brass is making it significantly worse.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I don't think it is results, I don't even think it's a couple of flat home performances.

It is more like a culmination of factors:

1) 1.5-2 years of wholly necessary austerity as we worked through some major losses to avoid failing FFP.

2) The star player who went inevitably, despite best hopes netted us a record fee.

3) Our squad is reasonably balanced but thin. Maybe when all fit a creator light, a CB light and a keeper light- loan out the least likely to challenge out of Bajic and Wiles-Richards.

4) NP has played a pivotal role to set up these stronger foundations. Once the Scott money arrived it was now the time to back him in these key areas of the pitch.

Some of this, even if we take a more cautious path financially thst is disappointing but not impossible to believe.

What really disappoints me is the void at the top. All that strong work by NP yet he is having to explain it all away.

There was no pre season interview with either SL or the CEO. The bits by SL were on a Guernsey platform about the whole nest egg.

From all the optimism of 6 weeks ago we are in quite a different place. The silence of the top brass is making it significantly worse.

Fully understand each point independently. I actually agree we've had years of austerity and we thought we're finally seeing the wood through the trees and this created excitement however football doesn't work like that.

We thought we'd start seeing some investment after the heavy lifting especially since Scott leaving (which was always inevitable) we have invested much more than recent years but we've also been very unlucky with our top scorer getting injured and arguably our most expensive signing gone until the new year plus other first team players unavailable.Yes I also accept perhaps now we should adapt and bring in more depth and loosen the wages slightly to accommodate this issue.

Nige hasn't been offered a contract but I don't buy this SL hates him conspiracy because at this moment that's all it is. I fully accept its fine to criticise the club about not addressing the depth currently, the lack of honest intentions from our owner but not the rest. We can't moan because Alex was sold, his desire would of always been to play in the Premier League, we shouldn't be moaning yet about the lack of contract from Nige (there could be so many reasons why that hasnt happened) I'm just sensing from certain fans they are chucking all there toys out the pram because they aren't getting a new flashy signing through the door and generating conspiracy after conspiracy.

All this moaning and berating of the club and SL is exaggerated and brought up constantly when we have a loss or a flat performances. The fans who say they do this for the betterment of the club are the same fans that boo our players off at half time. If they are so unified with Nige and the players they have a very strange way of showing it.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Yes Dear. Now go and read the OP again as to the threads subject

Already did. You are telling someone to stump up the money or shut up. Refusing an opinion because of their inability to buy the club. Therefore in future you should shut up when you have nothing to back up your opinion. 

• Confused 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

Genuine concern of mine too.

Lansdown’s stubbornness and ego has always led his decision making.

When a man wipes out a predecessor’s memory and legacy by renaming a stand after themselves whilst still in situ, it should tell you all you need to know about the man. 

How confident are we that he’ll pick a buyer who will quickly overshadow his regime? 

11 minutes ago, Red DNA said:

When this season was about to start I wondered who was to be this years scapegoat now that Zach’s improved so much. 
Now I know - it’s Steve Lansdown’s turn in the barrel ?

You might want to look up the meaning of "scapegoat" because he's not being asked to shoulder the blame for someone else's mistakes, he's being asked to front up for his own. 

And if he continues to hide the criticism will only get louder. 

We've been here before, remember? 

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Isn't the main point here that neither the Owner, Chairman or CEO have given an interview in the pre-season at any stage to either the club's PR department or the local press.

NP is having to do his obligatory press rounds answering questions which are not for him to be answering. He's saying to all and sundry that he isn't the person to be asking these questions of.

Cue in any reasonable organisation, the powers at be recognising that fact and doing something about the lack of communication over the apparent change in the club's direction since NP discussed the Plan A (with Scott), Plan B (without Scott) recruitment plans over the summer.

For me, it's not really about the results, it's the fact that budgets post Scott have obviously changed. Ok, well if that's the case and the club has to deal with supporter's expectations then just do an interview and let NP get on with managing the 1st team.

I'm a DOF of a non league club with 4 men's teams in County and district football. I say to all of my managers that if a player wants paying more money, has issues, or there is anything that needs doing with regard to the side other than playing than those league and cup games then let me deal with it. I'm the public face of the club, as is the Chairman on all forms of Social Media.

At the moment, we just come across as a rudderless ship ploughing through the stormy waters of Championship football. There seems to be no 3 or 5 year plan, or even a future direction as NP enters the final year of his three year plan. What is the club's vision for next season, can anyone actually answer that?

This has gone on for years now of course, but for the first time in NP's tenure he's got rid of the expensive gambles of 2019 and has generated through selling our 2 best players a substantial amount of money, now what?

Over to the club and the Lansdowns on this one. We are only a few further injuries away from being up the proverbial in my opinion.

I think the club as a whole does need to explain the position to the fanbase and at the same time show their support for NP. Silence is not really an option anymore.

• Like 18

4 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Isn't the main point here that neither the Owner, Chairman or CEO have given an interview in the pre-season at any stage to either the club's PR department or the local press.

NP is having to do his obligatory press rounds answering questions which are not for him to be answering. He's saying to all and sundry that he isn't the person to be asking these questions of.

Cue in any reasonable organisation, the powers at be recognising that fact and doing something about the lack of communication over the apparent change in the club's direction since NP discussed the Plan A (with Scott), Plan B (without Scott) recruitment plans over the summer.

For me, it's not really about the results, it's the fact that budgets post Scott have obviously changed. Ok, well if that's the case and the club has to deal with supporter's expectations then just do an interview and let NP get on with managing the 1st team.

I'm a DOF of a non league club with 4 men's teams in County and district football. I say to all of my managers that if a player wants paying more money, has issues, or there is anything that needs doing with regard to the side other than playing than those league and cup games then let me deal with it. I'm the public face of the club, as is the Chairman on all forms of Social Media.

At the moment, we just come across as a rudderless ship ploughing through the stormy waters of Championship football. There seems to be no 3 or 5 year plan, or even a future direction as NP enters the final year of his three year plan. What is the club's vision for next season, can anyone actually answer that?

This has gone on for years now of course, but for the first time in NP's tenure he's got rid of the expensive gambles of 2019 and has generated through selling our 2 best players a substantial amount of money, now what?

Over to the club and the Lansdowns on this one. We are only a few further injuries away from being up the proverbial in my opinion.

I think the club as a whole does need to explain the position to the fanbase and at the same time show their support for NP. Silence is not really an option anymore.

Yes it’s often indicative of a club that is close to a sale getting its financials in order while the buyer is conducting due diligence. 

Not sayin , just sayin!

1 minute ago, REDOXO said:

Yes it’s often indicative of a club that is close to a sale getting its financials in order while the buyer is conducting due diligence. 

Not sayin , just sayin!

I get you there, but I can't see us progressing through with the whole Sports Village development whilst at the same time selling what is in the essence the crown jewel.

I can though see the Lansdown's looking for a way out after the development is completed as the final part of their "legacy".

4 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

I get you there, but I can't see us progressing through with the whole Sports Village development whilst at the same time selling what is in the essence the crown jewel.

I can though see the Lansdown's looking for a way out after the development is completed as the final part of their "legacy".

Have we got to wait THAT long ?  

edit           BTW we're not the only rudderless ship..........RB without GT. This would have been right up his alley, calling them all out to speak on the radio to let the fans know what the H is going on !

Edited by slartibartfast
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

The money in the nice little nest egg would go toward the future costs of building. Bristol Sport is not that complex I would be amazed if he would sell just The Football Club. Despite what some believe. 

we will see!

3 hours ago, Riaz said:

Cant see it.

Another season of mid table boringness? Probably. But not a relegation battle IMO

Yeah I think the positives we can look to take from this season now is another year of development of our young players to set us up for a stronger, more experienced campaign next season. Another transition year. Maybe an FA Cup run? It's not what we wanted. 

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Next 5:

image.png.e47460cdf39bc9c8be83ea2977819d39.png

A mix of teams.

Or did you mean the 5 after the break?

image.png.aba72ae8e72cf9321e32e23f7366ebbb.png

A mix of teams.

??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️

Yeah, I'd look at the next three and say that if we're on form we could take 5-7 points from those games. Any less than that and Nige and the players will probably be in for some flak. You'd also home we could get some points from Stoke and Rotherham too. It's only the Leicester game where you just go in with no expectations but to try our best.

So a few years ago when Ashton would appear at the start and the end of each transfer window he got pelters for being in the media so often.

Now with a transfer window ending the CEO is getting pelters for not doing this and SL is making no more or less noise than he has usually done (disregarding exceptions around new stadium/rebuild)

And now the conspiracies are out that SL wants whoever follows on from him fails, because he obviously wants the stadium he had redeveloped to sit half empty in League 1 or something.

25 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Excellent post Sir ?

29 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Yes. And that is somewhat a departure of the norm. 

Normally the CEO gives an interview during pre season and Lansdown is on Radio Bristol for the 1st game of the season. 

The only possible explanation for this complete silence has to be that a takeover is close.

• Admin
4 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

@exAtyeoMax on timing of a sale.

I don't know if this is what you were getting at but I'd say also that I don't buy the line/argument that SL might be holding back transfer profit in order to boost the accounts and make the club look more attractive. Every football club loses money, it's a loss-making industry and by any sane and ordinary valuation assessment all clubs are essentially worthless (bar any land they may own).

To any new owner/investor making an investment the value of this football club doesn't lie in its accounts, it's EBITDA, it's turnover. The value lies in potential. 

Buy this club in the Championship for £80m, get it promoted, and sell it for £400m. That's the primary ROI that any new owner will look at. If they don't, then they don't understand the industry and we don't want them as owners.

In my opinion that attractiveness does exist and comes from a profitable year giving any prospective new owners more room to spend as they see fit over the remaining two years of an FFP reporting period.

Unfortunately we provide balance by asking any new owner to additionally buy a rugby club, a basketball club and two building plots. ??‍♂️

• Like 2

Just now, Ian M said:

In my opinion that attractiveness does exist and comes from a profitable year giving any prospective new owners more room to spend as they see fit over the remaining two years of an FFP reporting period.

Unfortunately we provide balance by asking any new owner to additionally buy a rugby club, a basketball club and two building plots. ??‍♂️

Your second point will be far more of a turnoff than the first. And it's maddening as he's literally set the corporate structure up so that it's perfectly possible to sell the football club separately, without all the baggage. If it's true he's looking for a sale of the whole package then it's mad.

• Flames 1

59 minutes ago, transfer reader said:

So a few years ago when Ashton would appear at the start and the end of each transfer window he got pelters for being in the media so often.

Now with a transfer window ending the CEO is getting pelters for not doing this and SL is making no more or less noise than he has usually done (disregarding exceptions around new stadium/rebuild)

Because the strategy has obviously changed - and radically so - but no one's had the decency to explain what it is and why.

It's not difficult to work that out - you're not comparing like with like. 

59 minutes ago, transfer reader said:

And now the conspiracies are out that SL wants whoever follows on from him fails, because he obviously wants the stadium he had redeveloped to sit half empty in League 1 or something.

People aren’t expecting Mark Ashton style exposure from our CEO. At a time when the Manager is fielding questions that aren’t his remit a single interview which Nige and the punters can refer to would suffice.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mozo said:

Yeah I think the positives we can look to take from this season now is another year of development of our young players to set us up for a stronger, more experienced campaign next season. Another transition year. Maybe an FA Cup run? It's not what we wanted. 

That's not what we were sold though. Never mind any of the players we've signed recently!

1 hour ago, redordead1 said:

Genuine concern of mine too.

Lansdown’s stubbornness and ego has always led his decision making.

When a man wipes out a predecessor’s memory and legacy by renaming a stand after themselves whilst still in situ, it should tell you all you need to know about the man. 

How confident are we that he’ll pick a buyer who will quickly overshadow his regime? 

You mean the stand he paid for to be built?

Edited by Greyrobbo

2 minutes ago, Banjo Red said:

At the end of the day our super kids from the 21s need to step up and be counted if that's what we are relying on.

None of the current lot are ready. 

That's what happens when you rely heavily on your Youth set up - there's never going to be a constant supply of kids who are good enough, it's always going to be hit and miss. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Banjo Red said:

At the end of the day our super kids from the 21s need to step up and be counted if that's what we are relying on.

and then look at the next private plane to Bournemouth?

1 hour ago, NcnsBcfc said:

?

1 hour ago, NcnsBcfc said:

?

1 hour ago, slartibartfast said:

edit           BTW we're not the only rudderless ship..........RB without GT. This would have been right up his alley, calling them all out to speak on the radio to let the fans know what the H is going on !

Yes he would have had them on the Radio by now .

17 minutes ago, Greyrobbo said:

You mean the stand he paid to build?

did he really? or was it one of his business`s ?

I always believed the man/woman or whoever is not the business, the business is the business?

We are talking about someone here who started in his bedroom and made many, many millions probably not by paying for football stands to be built though.

Apart from very dubious manager selections he is no fool, as the saying goes "fools and money are soon parted"

Edited by wtf

21 minutes ago, wtf said:

I always believed the man/woman or whoever is not the business, the business is the business?

We are talking about someone here who started in his bedroom and made many, many millions probably not by paying for football stands to be built though.

Apart from very dubious manager selections he is no fool, as the saying goes "fools and money are soon parted"

He made money from his business and invested in Stadium (not BCFC) simples!!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, slartibartfast said:

I was thinking this earlier. 

Geoff would be asking the questions of them. 

I hope in time that Geoff maybe gets the itch again and does some sort of podcast where he can interview people. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, wtf said:

I'm no expert on this, but doesn't the debt for the stadium redevelopment appear on the accounts? 

@Mr Popodopolous ??

For all the SL bashing and theorising on what he's planning to do with the club, despite his wealth it must be totally gutting for him to have spent the amounts he has on infrastructure and covering the debts every season that all he has achieved is to have got us out of league 1. 

A billionaire running a reasonably sized club in a big city has only managed to get us from League 1 to the Champ and even there we've only been in the playoffs once and that was a season when nobody was expecting us to even get in the playoffs.

Edited by Show Me The Money!
  • Like 4
  • Flames 1

4 minutes ago, Show Me The Money! said:

For all the SL bashing and theorising on what he's planning to do with the club despite his wealth of must be totally gutting for him to have spent the amounts he has on infrastructure and covering the debts every season that all he has achieved is to have got us out of league 1. 

A billionaire running a reasonably sized club in a big city has only managed to get us from League 1 to the Champ and even there we've only been in the playoffs once and that was a season when nobody was expecting us to even get in the playoffs.

He became involved with the club when we were in the championship. Great owner for the infrastructure, the rest has frankly been a failure mainly due to his own decisions.

Happy to thank him for his time at thr club but it is clearly time for someone with fresh impetus and ambition to come in, if they are available.

Edited by Dynamite Red
  • Like 7
  • Robin 1

Someone will probably be able to work this out properly, but looking at the reported SLs net worth and what he's spent on the club, it works out at approx 3.5% of his net worth. 

Back of the fag packet type working out, but approx. 

Put that into context to what the average fan spends every year by comparison. 

Edited by spudski
  • Like 5
  • Flames 2

17 minutes ago, Show Me The Money! said:

For all the SL bashing and theorising on what he's planning to do with the club, despite his wealth it must be totally gutting for him to have spent the amounts he has on infrastructure and covering the debts every season that all he has achieved is to have got us out of league 1. 

It will be because I doubt he can accept or even realise he is completely  to blame for the failure of our club to progress on the pitch. His affect is we are not even standing still. Our squad is weakened yearly by the selling of our best players and less and less money is being given to the Manager to strengthen. In the end the only result of this will be relegation. Let us hope he has sold up and cleared off before that becomes a reality.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, spudski said:

Someone will probably be able to work this out properly, but looking at the reported SLs net worth and what he's spent on the club, it works out at approx 3.5% of his net worth. 

Is that purely on City? Or on BS? Also does it include any rough workings on what he will get back once he sells? 

10 minutes ago, spudski said:

That feels like one where the teacher would ask you to show your workings... 

4 minutes ago, lenred said:

Is that purely on City? Or on BS? Also does it include any rough workings on what he will get back once he sells? 

1 minute ago, View from the Dolman said:

That feels like one where the teacher would ask you to show your workings... 

1.72 billion net worth

240 million spent on City

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/bristol-city-bears-steve-lansdown-8458397

35 minutes ago, Show Me The Money! said:

From a business it has been a failure. SL wanted PL football and that dream has died. The quicker we accept the club will never achieve top flight football and will bounce between champ and league 1 the happier and care free we can be. 

On 30/08/2023 at 21:12, pjg11 said:

Not sure what SLs agenda is but I've been feeling this all summer and in the last weeks been proved right. The squad is considerably weaker than the start of last season yes wage bill cut and money made on transfers . But replacements nowhere near the quality of what we lost some not even replaced We lost CM ,JD, TK,,HNM, ASe, ASc .Replaced by HC ,AM, JK,,RD , HR.. Lessons to be learned by clubs who asset strip year on year you run out of hidden gems . Southampton have just found out to their cost . Wimbledon did it  Coventry many others over the years in football now you stand still you go backwards . We are going backwards to try and stand still will not work in the long run . Can't help but feel we the fans have had our pants pulled down this summer with incomings and outgoings . We were told plan a no need to sell Scott , plan b for life after Scott targets identified money to be spent on strengthening . Plan c was announced as a wage limit which we have reached . Funny this wasn't mentioned start of the summer when season tickets went on sale . Only after the season started . I have every respect for what SL has done for this club . But really don't like what is being done and policy the club is following

I Definitely recall NP stating that...rather than the scatter gun approach of previous years....that he intended to only bring in players who were/are an upgrade on players who are already here.  A rather broad statement, which i have, with the odd exception, seen very little evidence of?   Then again,   probably he had, had no previous notice of our wonderful wage restraints....which has created an untenable  situation for the chance for him  to markedly improve our squad?