IGNORED

JET, JET will tear you apart

CiderJar

10 years to the day since we last played them in any form of competitive football.

Over 22 years since we last played them in a league game.

We went from 1963 to 1981 without losing to them.

I can never make my mind up if I miss the derby games or happy we’re always above them.

My favourite games, at Eastville for the one nil down two one up cup match, when we were in a division below.

The Louie Donowa one nil victory at AG , the first time we’d beaten them for what seemed like ages, about 8 games I think.

• Like 5
  • Robin 1

His inconsistency was his strength one game unplayable the next game you didn’t know he was on the pitch 

but god I loved the unplayable jet , great times hopefully to return really wish Scott would have give us one more season think he could have been our modern day jet but with more consistency.

Loved him, had genius level skills.

When it was dire under O’Driscoll (which frankly was most of the time) he was often the only thing worth watching.

Took the slowest penalties ever & this goal is arguably the best I have seen in a game against the blue few in 50 years.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

JET didn't often move fast - but that was because he didn't have to. His vision and close-control was astounding. He could sprint when he wanted to, but he was happiest with the ball tight to his feet, weaving it past defenders and into the box. 

I remember one home game under Cotts (won 4-0) where I thought the full back that was supposedly marking him was going to cry.

He was beating him for skill time after time so he tried to get physical & put his shoulder into him & JET knocked him somewhere almost into North Somerset.

We had the best of him & even when we as a team were crap, he was outrageously good.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Loved him, had genius level skills.

When it was dire under O’Driscoll (which frankly was most of the time) he was often the only thing worth watching.

Took the slowest penalties ever & this goal is arguably the best I have seen in a game against the blue few in 50 years.

And Bryan's goal probably the second best!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ralphindevon said:

10 years to the day since we last played them in any form of competitive football.

Over 22 years since we last played them in a league game.

We went from 1963 to 1981 without losing to them.

I can never make my mind up if I miss the derby games or happy we’re always above them.

My favourite games, at Eastville for the one nil down two one up cup match, when we were in a division below.

The Louie Donowa one nil victory at AG , the first time we’d beaten them for what seemed like ages, about 8 games I think.

Were we not two divisions below them?

9 minutes ago, pillred said:

Were we not two divisions below them?

No. Infamously there was only ever, at most, one division between us until they went non league. But that FA Cup victory is the best I have ever felt at a football match. We were City. We were back. It was good.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, eardun said:

Just one division below them (they were Div 3, we were Div 4.). That match (Dec 1983) is one of my favourite ever City memories - was rammed in the away end at Eastville that day. 

One of those I was there moments if you are a city fan, I bet there was quite the celebration.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, pillred said:

One of those I was there moments if you are a city fan, I bet there was quite the celebration.

Limbs the like you will never see again. I ended up in a different postcode to one of my shoes when what turned out to be the winner went in. I even got my shoe back. What a night. 16 year old me me. 10 years ago Jet & Bryan. 40 years ago Ritchie & Hirst.

Edited by CiderJar
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I remember one home game under Cotts (won 4-0) where I thought the full back that was supposedly marking him was going to cry.

He was beating him for skill time after time so he tried to get physical & put his shoulder into him & JET knocked him somewhere almost into North Somerset.

We had the best of him & even when we as a team were crap, he was outrageously good.

I forgot how good he was 

I remember him spanking one in away at Shrewsbury when we won while trying to avoid the drop from L1 under Cotts (believe it was Cotts anyway). 

Think I recall it because I was right behind it & it would have probably hit me if the net wasn’t there ⚽

• Like 1

Obviously the goal against the Gas felt better from a fans perspective but the goal against Tamworth is one of my favourite goals ever, I could watch it over and over again.

As depressing as that first season back in L1 was, he was great to watch. He seemed to score all our goals before Christmas with Baldock scoring more after Christmas.

28 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

The night game v Port Vale sticks in my memory. We won 5-0 I think and JET scored a free kick at EastEnd, I just remember the keeper looking helpless on the deck when it went in.

He was some player!

He did, 4-0 up at half time and that free kick was not long before the break. Mickey Adams was getting some grief and I think he may have actually been “sacked in the morning”. Martin Patterson played a blinder.

Edited by Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan

1 minute ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

He did, 4-0 up at half time and that free kick was not long before the break. Mickey Adams was getting some grief and I think he may have actually been “sacked in the morning”. Martin Patterson played a blinder.

That was it. If I remember correctly we weren’t playing that particularly well either!

I do miss those night games in the EastEnd. Even if it was Port Vale!

1 hour ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Both wasters with the talent we all dreamed of having let’s be honest,between the skills was far to often lazy BS that cost us more points than they won,Jackie the same 

Wasn't lazy, JET just made it look easy. Felt it was us to some degree  who wasted his talent.  Given a run of games covering injury, did well and then immediately dropped when they were fit without the returning players  seemingly having to fight to regain their place.

• Flames 1
  • Robin 1

1 hour ago, Lew-T said:

That was it. If I remember correctly we weren’t playing that particularly well either!

We were all over them mate. Port Vale were woeful.

Most of the play in that 1st half was down at our end (East End). 2nd half was more even but the damage had been done by then. 

• Like 1

JET was one of a kind and imo can be considered a City legend. He wasn’t lazy on the pitch (although fair to say he could’ve achieved more in the game given his talent).

When we were at our lowest ebb in recent history, under SOD, it was JET and Baldock that scored most of our goals to keep us out of League 2. 

22 hours ago, Lew-T said:

The night game v Port Vale sticks in my memory. We won 5-0 I think and JET scored a free kick at EastEnd, I just remember the keeper looking helpless on the deck when it went in.

He was some player!

I can remember that one

The cheer from the Dolman was a bit delayed, at least where I was because it looked like the ball had landed on the roof of the net

It was the East End cheering that confirmed it went in 

23 hours ago, Nickybee said:

I remember him spanking one in away at Shrewsbury when we won while trying to avoid the drop from L1 under Cotts (believe it was Cotts anyway). 

Think I recall it because I was right behind it & it would have probably hit me if the net wasn’t there ⚽

He was terrible that game, just strolled around like he couldn’t be arsed. I remember saying to my mate, “ what a ******* lazy bastard”! As I said it , he picked the ball up and smashed it into the top corner from 30 yards!!!

11 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Absolute class act, what I would give for us to have some Xfactor right now like JET! He made a big mistake leaving us for QPR. Silly all around. 

He was allegedly on a gurt big contract at Ipswich and they subsidised his wages when he signed for us.  So for us to to sign him in the Champ he’d have wanted too much.

From my point of view, I agree, he made a mistake.

That season in League 1 under SO’D there was only one thing that kept me coming back each home game and that was JET. Worth the ticket price alone, and so many games before Christmas 2013 where he saved us with a goal out of nothing. Yes he could seem “lazy” at times but he was carrying that team until Cotterill arrived. And then Baldock suddenly found his scoring touch after Christmas and got 20 goals in the rest of the season.

Met JET. at work when he did a Christmas visit to the hospital in 2013, along with some of the youngsters including Bobby Reid. Really nice guy, and really not built like a footballer, but more a back row rugby player, whereas on the pitch he had the footwork of a professional dancer.

What’s amazing is that JET didn’t really make it a higher level because he had so much talent, and back in 2013 I don’t think anyone would have guessed that of all those there that day that Bobby was the one who would become a Premier League regular.

• Like 2

On 04/09/2023 at 21:00, Nickybee said:

That was the game in late March when we were dangerously close to the drop zone and Flint picked up a season ending injury but it sparked us into life. We didn't lose again that season and finished comfortably mid table. 

19 minutes ago, Barry Sheene said:

That was the game in late March when we were dangerously close to the drop zone and Flint picked up a season ending injury but it sparked us into life. We didn't lose again that season and finished comfortably mid table. 

First away game I took Joe too.  Jet on the right, cut back into his left and rifled it in.  Steven Pearson scored a scruffy one, and Joe Bryan headed in at the far post…playing against their talented RB Ryan Woods.  Their steward in the wheelchair area had banged on about him all game, how good he was in the air…but he’d not reckoned on Joe Bryan’s salmon-like ability in the air.

• Like 2