IGNORED

Frank Lampard

BCFC1512

1 minute ago, City_USA said:

In the mold of the Holden appt

Holden was a rookie, apart from a few months as a caretaker manager at Oldham, but Wade crashed and burned in his first job at Cheltenham. They were under him and still are truly woeful, but at least dog botherer has won a couple of matches since taking over. 

3 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Holden was a rookie, apart from a few months as a caretaker manager at Oldham, but Wade crashed and burned in his first job at Cheltenham. They were under him and still are truly woeful, but at least dog botherer has won a couple of matches since taking over. 

To be clear, I'm in no way advocating for Wade. Far from it. It's just that I've lost so much faith in SL and Jon that I see this as another F.U to us fans. 

Sincerely hope I'm wrong 🤞

Frank will be announced in a press conference tomorrow. We will become Frank Lampard's Bristol City. Steve L will be gurning like a simpleton. Frank will describe us as 'sleeping giants' and a Premier League club in waiting.

Frank will be paraded on the pitch before Saturday's  game with the family Lansdown sitting in the stand basking in their new found notoriety. Jon will get a new set of crayons. 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Selred said:

Whose the options:

Paul Simpson (Carlisle Manager)

Keith Downing (Available post Birmingham)

Jamie McAllister (Available post Hibs)

John Pemberton (Available post Chesterfield)

Tony Docherty (Dundee Manager)

We've tried and failed with:

Dean Holden

Keith Millen

Anyone else?

Terry Connor.

13 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

I gave up on this when the story was that Frank had cancelled golf today to be interviewed. Golf. In 80 mph winds. Right.

It's lovely today here in Norn Iron. Blue sky, 12 degrees and no wind at all on our golf course which is on the coast. His wife Christine (from Northern Ireland if people didn't know/care) might have suggested to play here today. If only I was close enough to Belfast International, I could tell you if they had been spotted...and had nothing else to do!

3 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

We cannot afford them - what do you think a Prem loan costs? Millions, that's what.

These days we're shopping for players in Carlisle, Oxford and Luton - with wages to match. So that's where the next manager will come from too - cos he knows that market and is used to budget constraints. Unlike Lampard.

Jon never mentioned any of that, did he? It was all front-foot, reverse-sweep, ramp-shot, doosra baz-ball high-temp pressing or summat, nothing about "shopping," as I recall? 

As a bit of a digression, regarding the Wade Elliott question, of course no sensible supporter would actively canvass his appointment to this particular job at this precise moment: minimal experience in the role, and that was pretty disastrous, but BCFC aside, it actually wouldn't surprise me if he made a go of it somewhere else eventually. Cheltenham is and was a basket case and probably already beyond salvation when he took it on. I doubt anyone else would have fared any better and if you wanted to criticise him, it would probably be for his decision making in agreeing to accept the job in the first place. From what I've seen of him, which admittedly is not a huge amount, he is quite an impressive bloke. Intelligent, articulate, seems to be good with people, successful career as a player behind him, none of which guarantees anything, of course, but I have a hunch he'll resurface somewhere at some point*, if he hasn't already, and with a better outcome. (*Anyone actually know what he's up to these days?)

34 minutes ago, Dolman Block B said:

From the same publication;

Frank Lampard not currently under consideration

Just on the Frank Lampard links, we understand there’s been no contact with the former Chelsea manager and it’s another case of the betting markets being spooked.

As it stands, he’s not under consideration to take over at Ashton Gate and, if you’re being honest with it, he probably doesn’t quite conform to the idea of the sort of head coach City want.

The Robins want an on-the-grass style, detailed coach to work directly with the players and while Lampard in a reputational sense may seem exciting, he’s more of a managerial-type figure.

1 minute ago, bcfc01 said:

From the same publication;

Frank Lampard not currently under consideration

Just on the Frank Lampard links, we understand there’s been no contact with the former Chelsea manager and it’s another case of the betting markets being spooked.

As it stands, he’s not under consideration to take over at Ashton Gate and, if you’re being honest with it, he probably doesn’t quite conform to the idea of the sort of head coach City want.

The Robins want an on-the-grass style, detailed coach to work directly with the players and while Lampard in a reputational sense may seem exciting, he’s more of a managerial-type figure.

Both statements can be true.

Lampard can be the bookies' favourite and also be out of contention and have made no approach.

Misleading for the same publication to run both stories? Probably. A blatant attempt to farm clicks? Undoubtedly. But they're not mutually exclusive pieces.

3 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Both statements can be true.

Lampard can be the bookies' favourite and also be out of contention and have made no approach.

Misleading for the same publication to run both stories? Probably. A blatant attempt to farm clicks? Undoubtedly. But they're not mutually exclusive pieces.

image.jpeg.7e2e58e2e8983175d7246aa9f5f68dfb.jpeg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gratz260689 said:

Bristol post know nothing 😂

The Post, ie James Piercy, knows quite a lot. He clearly has a good relationship with the club and is briefed by club PRs regularly.

A bit of clickbait about Frank Lampard doesn't change that.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Harry R said:

The Post, ie James Piercy, knows quite a lot. He clearly has a good relationship with the club and is briefed by club PRs regularly.

A bit of clickbait about Frank Lampard doesn't change that.

He knows very little I can assure you of that, and the club don’t tell the post anything, since before mcgregor days!! 

52 minutes ago, Harry said:

Given Tinnion referred to the new manager as “He” about 25 times in his 4 minute interview, I am definitely ruling out a female appointment. 

Ah, but you don't know what pronoun she/he/it/them/they use!

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Ah, but you don't know what pronoun she/he/it/them/they use!

Very true. 
Although I’ve heard Dylan Mulvaney has ruled himself/herself out. 

Maybe we do go for a manager with ‘They’ pronouns. I mean, 2 heads are better than one, right. 
Could play the good cop/bad cop role all by themselves. 

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

Very true. 
Although I’ve heard Dylan Mulvaney has ruled himself/herself out. 

Maybe we do go for a manager with ‘They’ pronouns. I mean, 2 heads are better than one, right. 
Could play the good cop/bad cop role all by themselves. 

Thankfully we're not sponsored by Bud Light team america vomit GIF

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, italian dave said:

‘Wouldn’t choose him’ I get (whether I agree or not)

’Won’t back him’ sorry but I just don’t get. Supporting Bristol City means supporting the team, the players, the manager whoever, 

I mean by that logic I should support the Lansdowns too... I'll pass, every one has their limits. 

3 minutes ago, Spike said:

I mean by that logic I should support the Lansdowns too... I'll pass, every one has their limits. 

Not quite the same though, is it. You’re not ‘supporting’ in quite the same way there - I think the expression you used was ‘cheering on’. Not really something you do for owners - even when they have a modicum of popularity!!

10 hours ago, Selred said:

Whose the options:

Paul Simpson (Carlisle Manager)

Keith Downing (Available post Birmingham)

Jamie McAllister (Available post Hibs)

John Pemberton (Available post Chesterfield)

Tony Docherty (Dundee Manager)

We've tried and failed with:

Dean Holden

Keith Millen

Anyone else?

Keith Curle? No, I am not at all serious.

I wouldn't mind Liam Rosenior, though, if I thought there was just the slightest chance that he might be a realistic option.

Edited by PHILINFRANCE
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, italian dave said:

Not quite the same though, is it. You’re not ‘supporting’ in quite the same way there - I think the expression you used was ‘cheering on’. Not really something you do for owners - even when they have a modicum of popularity!!

Support and blind support sums up the situation imo. Some will support the club by refusing to tow the line when the club is lying to them and taking them for granted, that's blind support. Of my boss is running the business into the ground it's not a great stance to say "well done boss, I'm right behind you" when you could say "I don't agree with this, I think it's not helping". The bloke support will see the business fail, the support of standing against the bad decision gives the business a fighting chance and therefore is still supporting it. 

I'm not going to be a blind supporter, Jon Lansdown and this board are the only constant in our failure to achieve what they say they're trying to achieve. 

Pearson set out to keep us competetive despite being tasked to cut costs and have key assets sold out from underneath him, he did that and still got sacked, essentially the board got impatient of him trying to do a heart impossible task of getting Premiership football whilst selling all of our Premier League quality players and then being expected to find replacements for pennies. 

I support this club, you call it what you like, I've been assaulted more times than I care to discuss for wearing my City shirt as I live in Cardiff, I've gone to work and taken endless amounts of abuse when Cardiff were in the Premier League and I don't regret it. I've put more money than I care to admit into this club and I'll continue to support it. What I don't support is a board that demands we turn up and support the team whilst they hamstring it and then lie about it. 

There have been so many statements such as "Pearson is not bigger than the club, we should support the players" etc but does this mean the board are bigger than the club because our fans seem happy for them to remain, or at least complicent enough to keep doing what the board want of them by turning up and cheering the lads on whilst they put out crap interviews that are pre planned and full of shit. 

You can call my support into question all you like, but sometimes you have to take a stand and as I've said before, the only consistent in our failure at this point is the board, everyone else has come and gone with the result staying the same. 

• Like 6
  • Robin 1

52 minutes ago, Spike said:

Support and blind support sums up the situation imo. Some will support the club by refusing to tow the line when the club is lying to them and taking them for granted, that's blind support. Of my boss is running the business into the ground it's not a great stance to say "well done boss, I'm right behind you" when you could say "I don't agree with this, I think it's not helping". The bloke support will see the business fail, the support of standing against the bad decision gives the business a fighting chance and therefore is still supporting it. 

I'm not going to be a blind supporter, Jon Lansdown and this board are the only constant in our failure to achieve what they say they're trying to achieve. 

Pearson set out to keep us competetive despite being tasked to cut costs and have key assets sold out from underneath him, he did that and still got sacked, essentially the board got impatient of him trying to do a heart impossible task of getting Premiership football whilst selling all of our Premier League quality players and then being expected to find replacements for pennies. 

I support this club, you call it what you like, I've been assaulted more times than I care to discuss for wearing my City shirt as I live in Cardiff, I've gone to work and taken endless amounts of abuse when Cardiff were in the Premier League and I don't regret it. I've put more money than I care to admit into this club and I'll continue to support it. What I don't support is a board that demands we turn up and support the team whilst they hamstring it and then lie about it. 

There have been so many statements such as "Pearson is not bigger than the club, we should support the players" etc but does this mean the board are bigger than the club because our fans seem happy for them to remain, or at least complicent enough to keep doing what the board want of them by turning up and cheering the lads on whilst they put out crap interviews that are pre planned and full of shit. 

You can call my support into question all you like, but sometimes you have to take a stand and as I've said before, the only consistent in our failure at this point is the board, everyone else has come and gone with the result staying the same. 

I'm not talking about blind support. I think I've been very clear about that. The first line of my first reply to you said exactly what you say above - that disagreement is fine, and I get. Indeed, as you suggest, I think that positive disagreement - explaining why and putting forward alternatives - is a good thing.

But, by its nature, football is all about judgements and opinions and you've only got to read the threads on here to see how many different options there are about the various options for new managers. And having different views, putting them forward, explaining why - all good. But someone (in this case, whether we like it or not the Lansdowns) have to make that call, and I just think that in the interests of the club we all then have to get behind that decision.

The reasons for my initial reply to you was your statement about not cheering on Lampard if he's appointed. Well a) that felt a little bit like you were saying you'd cheer on the appointment you agreed with but not the one you didn't- which is a bit different to what you're saying above; and b) I'm not really sure what it achieves to take it out on the new manager who's had nothing to do with what's happened in the past.

Ultimately, yes, you can take the view that you feel so strongly that things are so bad, so much in conflict with what you think is right that you can decide to leave the company (to use your work analogy) or stop turning up to cheer on the team. The difference is that. you can move on to another job - but we all know that you're stuck with your football team! For that reason I'm not questioning your support, I'm just wondering how refusing to support a particular manager is going to help.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

We can't afford them.

We've slashed our wage bill, put a cap on it, and now pay less than some of the bigger League 1 teams I shouldn't wonder. 

What's Frankie going to make of that?

I imagine he'd just sit down on the penalty spot and repeat "nest egg" until Raheem Sterling appeared on loan.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MC RISK77 said:

I may have got this wrong but wasn’t robinsforlife outed as a gas troll a couple of years back

They'll be disappointed if so, tried to get our hopes up on Lampard and most City fans were like 'na don't want him, hope this falls through'. Waste of a few of his afternoons 🤣