IGNORED

Frank Lampard

BCFC1512

2 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

To any of the moderators on here. It seems there is a poster replying to my posts that I’ve put on ignore. Is it possible for them not to see my posts as I don’t want contact from him. I’ve tried to DM him but he’s too cowardly to receive them . Thank you 

I suspect that must be me.

I also suspect that if you put someone on ignore - you probably can't then DM them.

If it is me- I can give you every assurance that I would respond to you. As for being cowardly- in my entire time on OTIB , I've never put someone on ignore. 

If it all gets too much then as Tom F recommended: Take a break.

PS ( Edit) I have just seen @phantom's response.

Until such time as that facility is available to you, I agree I will not respond, comment or give a reaction to any of your posts so long as you do likewise.It's a "gentleman's mutual ignore". If you DM me I will respond as I would with anyone- good or bad.

Edited by Marina's Rolls Royce

1 hour ago, Ghost Rider said:

In light of these developments, it seems prudent to consider the idea of transitioning the ownership of our club. Perhaps it’s time to seek new custodians who possess the enthusiasm and energy needed to rekindle our club’s ambitions and drive it to new heights. The future of Bristol City deserves a fresh and invigorating perspective, one that matches the dedication of the fans who hold it dear."

Firstly, good post overall explaining your view of the situation.

I only quoted your final para to ask what options you see by using the word “transition”.

49 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

I suspect that must be me.

I also suspect that if you put someone on ignore - you probably can't then DM them.

If it is me- I can give you every assurance that I would respond to you. As for being cowardly- in my entire time on OTIB , I've never put someone on ignore. 

If it all gets too much then as Tom F recommended: Take a break.

PS ( Edit) I have just seen @phantom's response.

Until such time as that facility is available to you, I agree I will not respond, comment or give a reaction to any of your posts so long as you do likewise.It's a "gentleman's mutual ignore". If you DM me I will respond as I would with anyone- good or bad.

In all honesty, having seen your posts over the last few days I think it is you that needs a break.

My stance on recent events at the club is different to yours although that is not why I am saying this. You are a respected poster on this forum and you have started to lapse from those standards into an approach that could be politely described as catty.

Online debates by their very nature end up like this when issues close to people are discussed. I'm no angel and have had a couple of angry posts over the last week myself! It's totally up to you on whether you wish to take this on board or not but I would at least suggest taking a step back and wondering if you yourself are overreacting and coarsening the debate further.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Superjack said:

Thanks, and yes, this is true.

In fact, the main mantra that I endeavour to live my life by, which is not so much to do with 'anger' (because that always subsides eventually), but more to do 'worry' (which is a far greater threat to wellbeing), is that I always try not to fret about things that I can't do anything about. 

Of course, in this instance, the one thing that I can control is whether I give the Lansdowns another penny of my money.

And I will not.

Ever again.

Aaahhh, worry: now that’s an emotion that’s far more insidious and dangerous when you’re talking about Bristol City 😂

I’ve learnt that I can’t even enjoy being 3-0 up until the 90th minute at the earliest! And that it’s more of a worry being 3 up than 1 up because you look all the more stupid when you throw it away!

I got angry when the club - or Osman anyway - sent Jacki packing. I’m not sure whether your forum name might mean you’d sympathise with that view. I cancelled my City Society membership - and although Ive got over the anger I’ve never got round to rejoining it or any of its successors.

It won’t have made a blind bit of difference to the club, even less so to Osman! So it’s really about what the impact has been on me! Harder to say in this case: it might have saved me a lot of money, it might have cost me a house or a £1000 prize!

And I suppose that’s what you have to consider. You not giving the club your money won’t affect what Lansdown does one iota. It’s about what it does for you.

Makes you feel better in the short term I’m sure. Possibly the longer term too. It’s not likely Lansdown will disappear anytime very soon. Even if he finds a buyer it will all take time. That’s maybe not welcome but it’s reality.

But it will presumably mean you no longer go to Ashton Gate to watch the City. If the balance is that that won’t worry you as much as the way you feel about not giving them money then it’s the right call. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Nest Egg said:

In all honesty, having seen your posts over the last few days I think it is you that needs a break.

My stance on recent events at the club is different to yours although that is not why I am saying this. You are a respected poster on this forum and you have started to lapse from those standards into an approach that could be politely described as catty.

Online debates by their very nature end up like this when issues close to people are discussed. I'm no angel and have had a couple of angry posts over the last week myself! It's totally up to you on whether you wish to take this on board or not but I would at least suggest taking a step back and wondering if you yourself are overreacting and coarsening the debate further.

Thanks but no .

I have some  views which are held by no more than about 20% of posters on here which some find entirely unacceptable to their own polarised position. I will continue to post as and when the urge takes me. However, I will make an effort not to tap the ball the net in every time someone tees up an inviting open goal. If, with hindsight, I've been wrong then I will apologise as I've always done both on here and in the real world.

I think that The Lansdowns have done more good than harm despite some obvious mistakes. I think that we have, on balance, a very well run club with an amazing stadium and associated training facilities. For some this is akin to supporting a psychopathic dictator and my view is unacceptable to them.

You may also find that there are those that have over a number of seasons  sniped or been extremely rude and sometimes I'll bite back as I don't place people on ignore and some don't like a taste of their own medicine. I'm prepared to read their misguided opinion even when it's wrong....(imo of course!).

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Antman said:

wow. if you honestly think this is an accurate reflection of the invaluable job James has done these past 2 seasons, 

are you Le petomane reincarnated?

Think if we are to progress the team we need to upgrade on james I think hes got lots of experience but lacks the engine 

2 hours ago, italian dave said:

Aaahhh, worry: now that’s an emotion that’s far more insidious and dangerous when you’re talking about Bristol City 😂

I’ve learnt that I can’t even enjoy being 3-0 up until the 90th minute at the earliest! And that it’s more of a worry being 3 up than 1 up because you look all the more stupid when you throw it away!

I got angry when the club - or Osman anyway - sent Jacki packing. I’m not sure whether your forum name might mean you’d sympathise with that view. I cancelled my City Society membership - and although Ive got over the anger I’ve never got round to rejoining it or any of its successors.

It won’t have made a blind bit of difference to the club, even less so to Osman! So it’s really about what the impact has been on me! Harder to say in this case: it might have saved me a lot of money, it might have cost me a house or a £1000 prize!

And I suppose that’s what you have to consider. You not giving the club your money won’t affect what Lansdown does one iota. It’s about what it does for you.

Makes you feel better in the short term I’m sure. Possibly the longer term too. It’s not likely Lansdown will disappear anytime very soon. Even if he finds a buyer it will all take time. That’s maybe not welcome but it’s reality.

But it will presumably mean you no longer go to Ashton Gate to watch the City. If the balance is that that won’t worry you as much as the way you feel about not giving them money then it’s the right call. 

Cheers. 

Yes, I am only too aware that it won't make any difference to the  Lansdowns, just as the views of the supporters don't, whichever side of any debate they are on, but this week is the final straw for me, and I will not line the pockets of people that I no longer respect and sadly now actively dislike. 

It is the right call for me. And yes, my username does indeed refer to the 'polish George Best', and not to me being a Swansea fan as I was accused of all those years ago when I started on here. 😂

• Robin 1

3 hours ago, Ghost Rider said:

That's an excellent question. I used the term "transiting," but what I really meant was making changes. However, my perspective has evolved in recent days, especially after watching the recent interviews. It's fair to say that things had grown somewhat stagnant. I believe a shake-up in various aspects of the football club is necessary. Is the timing ideal? Certainly not, but it seemed that they had their backs against the wall due to the contract's expiration and NP's health issues. Additionally, I concur that the strained relationship between NP and the owners played a part in this decision.

Upon deeper reflection, I think we might have been looking at the style of football being played and the signings through rose-tinted glasses, primarily because of our deep admiration for NP as a person. We may have been overly lenient in evaluating other aspects of his performance. Let's objectively assess the hard facts, setting aside our affection for Nigel as a person.

His football tactics were often uninspiring, characterized by aimless punts. The team's home form was disappointing. Regarding the signings, here's a breakdown (off the top of my head, please correct me if I've missed any etc):

- Danny Simpson: Underperformed
- Kane Wilson: Underperformed and struggled with fitness
- Ross McCrorie: Hasn't played a single minute (not NP's fault)
- Haydon Roberts: Underwhelming
- Rob Dickie: A solid signing
- (TGH): Showed potential recently in midfield
- Andy King: Underwhelming 
- Mark Sykes: Decent
- Stefan Bajic: Not played
- Harry Cornick: No significant improvement on what we've got, perhaps even worse
- Anis Mehmeti: Failed to make an impact so far
- Timm Klose: Failed to impress
- Matty James: Performed decently in patches
- George Tanner: Displays potential
- Rob Atkinson: A solid addition
- Kal Naismith - Decent 
- Jason Knight - Decent 

I may have omitted a few, but you get the idea. NP himself said he would only bring in someone better than what we already had, well, you can make your own mind up. The argument that he hasn't been backed, well, he clearly was. Although not as well as he could have been after the AS sale, although I think the Lansdowns minds were made up and didn't want to give him that money. 

I want to make it clear that I'm not claiming to be an expert, and I'm open to hearing other opinions in a constructive manner. While I initially viewed this decision as shocking, I now see that NP's football style was far from exciting, and the quality of his signings was, at best, mediocre, although I understand there may have been limitations. Please feel free to offer your perspective without resorting to abuse, as I'm open to considering differing viewpoints. In this instance, I tend to side with the Lansdowns and don't believe NP was as exceptional as some may perceive.

sorry @DavefevsI went a bit off course there. 

Ta.

To start with the “transition” - I can’t see how SL is gonna get investment without full control, so for me it’s SL as owner or new owners, no in-between.  Without going over lots of old ground I suspect that involves selling the whole lot, rather than just “Football” (club, training ground and stadium), because I don’t think he’ll see any benefit in retaining the remainder.  That all comes down to setting the right price.  I don’t think he’s got that right, but it’s his choice, and therefore interest has cooled.

Tactics:

I try to look beyond my “love” of Nige the football manager, and I think there are pluses / minuses. WSM for example, getting the best out of Weimann, creating a £10m player out of Semenyo because he found a way to get end product (Holden didn’t) that attracted PL clubs.  But it was very dependent on those 3 players, in effect we attacked with 3 players on the counter plus Pring pretty much.  It wasn’t how he wanted to play.

The transition to a back 4 was step 1 of moving towards his desired style.  A good unbeaten run / cup run, then injuries.

Step 2 was the more controlling tactic, losing Scott didn’t help.

I think there are flaws in the front three system with the players we have, but I wonder if he would’ve tweaked it had Conway and Wells both been fit.

I don’t believe he wanted to play long, but I also think us fans would be having kittens if we tried to play like Southampton.  I think he tried to compromise by making us harder to beat.

Recruitment:

The biggest subjective area re the players themselves.  I’m not gonna go into budgets, circumstances, etc.  But it is a collective process.  And in Nige’s case he’s probably the least involved manager in the game (subjective) in the middle part of that process.  He will set the needs, and do the final player check.  All the in-between is other people.  He will openly admit he doesn’t scout, although he does go to watch other games, just in the latter stage to get his own eyes on a player.  He empowers Tinnion and Gilhespy for talent Id / agent conversations and the finance stuff to the CEO.

So just like I saw recruitment as a collective under SL/MA/SG/LJ, it’s no different now…apart from involvement through the lifecycle.

So, whilst I think it has improved, if you want to have a view it’s far from optimal, you might want to look at who WAS involved in those signings you list and who are STILL here.  The only change to recruitment personnel is Nige being replaced by new head-coach.  The same people who crunched the data, scouted those players (physically and video) and decided who to put in front of Nige are still here.

I guess my final point is, the new set-up (assuming Curtis has gone / is going) is all JL and Tinnion’s men now.  The only 3/4 people who were involved but won’t be going forward are Nige, Jason, Dave and Phlegm.  I get the impression JL and BT have forgotten their own roles in the past 2.5 years!!! 😉

We can judge the next regime in 100% clarity.

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

What's happened that some are suddenly convinced it's Manning?

No idea, but hope they are wrong.

Underwhelming, uninspiring, and certainly not exciting imo.

If it is him, he'll get my support, but to go from Nigel Pearson to Liam Manning is very disappointing.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

What's happened that some are suddenly convinced it's Manning?

Someone came on and said that it's definitely going to be Manning and provided a time frame for when it would be announced. That's all it seems to take.

Thank goodness social media wasn't around in the blitz. There'd be constant ITKs telling us when the next air raid was due. We would never emerge from our shelters. Although, thinking about it that wouldn't happen because if an ITK got it right about the next raid they'd be promptly arrested, tortured in the Tower of London and hung as a spy within a week. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

Someone came on and said that it's definitely going to be Manning and provided a time frame for when it would be announced. That's all it seems to take.

Thank goodness social media wasn't around in the blitz. There'd be constant ITKs telling us when the next air raid was due. We would never emerge from our shelters. Although, thinking about it that wouldn't happen because if an ITK got it right about the next raid they'd be promptly arrested, tortured in the Tower of London and hung as a spy within a week. 

I've simply provided info that someone I trust has given me, from an outside club source

I'll take all pelters if it's wrong. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sandhurst Red said:

I've simply provided info that someone I trust has given me, from an outside club source

No need to take any pelters.

If people want to believe what you wrote or pile on to what you wrote in a negative or positive way, thats down to them.

Edited by bcfc01

2 minutes ago, Sandhurst Red said:

Fair enough, nothing against you personally and if it proves to be correct more power to your elbow and thanks for informing us. But there have been several ITKs dropping hints for instance that the new head coach has German connections and cannot find any German connections with Manning. (It will probably be revealed later that his house was wired using material made in Berlin.)

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

Don’t you remember the ITKers during the pandemic? I reckon a good 10 times I was promised by people whose friends brother was in the army and were going to be deployed on the streets to keep people indoors. Alas. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

Fair enough, nothing against you personally and if it proves to be correct more power to your elbow and thanks for informing us. But there have been several ITKs dropping hints for instance that the new head coach has German connections and cannot find any German connections with Manning. (It will probably be revealed later that his house was wired using material made in Berlin.)

How about "Don't panic Mr. Manning"

• Haha 2
  • Flames 1

30 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Don’t you remember the ITKers during the pandemic? I reckon a good 10 times I was promised by people whose friends brother was in the army and were going to be deployed on the streets to keep people indoors. Alas. 

We were all good sheep 🐑 

On 04/11/2023 at 09:11, CliftonCliff said:

Read this on waking this morning. I trust you felt better after posting this quite unnecessarily abusive rant. I doubtless have many faults, but being a halfwitted idiot isn’t one of them.

For the record, and for a bit of balance, I have on a fair few occasions in the past posted in defence of Lansdown when he’s been the subject of disproportionate or unwarranted criticism and, like the vast majority of supporters, I remain enormously grateful for what he’s contributed to the club, not least the stadium rebuild and the hugely improved training facilities.

None of which renders him immune to negative comment if and when he gets things wrong, which he plainly has, numerous times. There is a pretty stark contrast between his business acumen and his ability to judge and manage people, as has been pointed out countless times by many others besides me.

It isn’t just a question of money. Anyone who hasn’t detected a decline in the stewardship of the club over the last few years simply hasn’t been paying attention. What’s happened this week is fundamentally wrongheaded on so many levels it’s hard to know where to start. There’s a reason why there’s such an overwhelming consensus on a forum that is usually deeply divided on such issues. You are very much in a tiny minority in trying to defend the indefensible and your arguments are not made any more credible by personal attacks on individual posters.

This club now has a serious problem with a deeply dysfunctional ownership and you appear to be one of a very small number of people who don’t recognise that. 

Missed this post. 

Absolutely bang on the money. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, phantom said:

Very unlikely now 

Certainly not in a local radio interview 

At best he'll be gone after QPR 

Was a very tell interview on Thursday 

For anyone having Sunday lunch in a Bristol hotel today, keep your eyes open 

How was the lunch?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Recruitment:

The biggest subjective area re the players themselves.  I’m not gonna go into budgets, circumstances, etc.  But it is a collective process.  And in Nige’s case he’s probably the least involved manager in the game (subjective) in the middle part of that process.  He will set the needs, and do the final player check.  All the in-between is other people.  He will openly admit he doesn’t scout, although he does go to watch other games, just in the latter stage to get his own eyes on a player.  He empowers Tinnion and Gilhespy for talent Id / agent conversations and the finance stuff to the CEO.

So just like I saw recruitment as a collective under SL/MA/SG/LJ, it’s no different now…apart from involvement through the lifecycle.

So, whilst I think it has improved, if you want to have a view it’s far from optimal, you might want to look at who WAS involved in those signings you list and who are STILL here.  The only change to recruitment personnel is Nige being replaced by new head-coach.  The same people who crunched the data, scouted those players (physically and video) and decided who to put in front of Nige are still here.

I guess my final point is, the new set-up (assuming Curtis has gone / is going) is all JL and Tinnion’s men now.  The only 3/4 people who were involved but won’t be going forward are Nige, Jason, Dave and Phlegm.  I get the impression JL and BT have forgotten their own roles in the past 2.5 years!!! 😉

We can judge the next regime in 100% clarity.

⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️

THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT INFORMATION ANY OF US SHOULD EVER READ TO UNDERSTAND EXACTLY HOW OUR CLUB OPERATES

Whomever the next manager is, do not judge them solely on the results. The judgement should be made at the collective. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

In the Post today:

Everyone really needs to stop talking about Frank Lampard. It's never been a thing and is even less of a thing now that Joe Edwards is taking the Millwall job.

I don't think the intel shared on here has been correct.

Just now, mozo said:

In the Post today:

Everyone really needs to stop talking about Frank Lampard. It's never been a thing and is even less of a thing now that Joe Edwards is taking the Millwall job.

I don't think the intel shared on here has been correct.

What am I missing here so far as understanding why Joe Edwards to Millwall impacts anything to do with Lampard and us? Not that I think for a second that FL is coming here!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, phantom said:

Shows how the power of social media can influence these things

I think next time we have a manager go around, we all choose a niche name that we are ITK about.. see if we can hilariously get mentioned

IE this time we should of kept saying Warnock

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hartleysbeard said:

What am I missing here so far as understanding why Joe Edwards to Millwall impacts anything to do with Lampard and us? Not that I think for a second that FL is coming here!

He was on Lampard's coaching team at Everton, doesn't necessarily mean anything unless he was rumoured to be coming with FL

5 minutes ago, Hartleysbeard said:

He and Frank Lampard usually come as a pair.  He's been his assistant in various FL managerial stints.  Not advocating him at all but I am sure why FL couldn't find someone else, he might do better than he has in previous appointments.

9 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

Sorry for the late reply, I’ve been all over the place. As always, a great, respectful and intelligent reply. So do feel that (or even know) that recruitment was away from NP? 

If that is the case, do you think that would be the model for whoever is coming in, and do you think that it would affect who would want the position? 

Yes, recruitment model / process is firmly in place, regardless of the head-coach.  Only difference might be how active they are in the day-to-day of it (Nige not overly, new-man might be heavy).  It shouldn’t put anyone off, if the new “head-coach” brief is as they’ve told us.  Nobody should be applying if they want to rip up what is already in place.

The kind of thing that I think will affect who applies is:

• their view of the squad versus aspirations of hierarchy
  • money available in January
  • what scope there is to bring in their own staff if they desire
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Hartleysbeard said:

Maybe because one of the other two candidates short listed for Millwall are now coming to us. Beale or Nathan Jones. Hope I'm wrong. 

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yes, recruitment model / process is firmly in place, regardless of the head-coach.  Only difference might be how active they are in the day-to-day of it (Nige not overly, new-man might be heavy).  It shouldn’t put anyone off, if the new “head-coach” brief is as they’ve told us.  Nobody should be applying if they want to rip up what is already in place.

I think any candidate with any sense would do a bit of research on the club such as looking at social media and the interviews by JL/BT.

That would put anyone off !

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, bcfcnick said:

He and Frank Lampard usually come as a pair.  He's been his assistant in various FL managerial stints.  Not advocating him at all but I am sure why FL couldn't find someone else, he might do better than he has in previous appointments.

This would surely have no bearing on what Lampard does next, other than him not being able to call on Edwards as his assistant. It’s just more BS ‘journalism’ from the Bristol Post. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

They could do worse than go for NP if a vacancy arises.

A fit NP might be an option.

Not sure any team is going to even think about Nige until all his health problems are sorted out though

Edited by NcnsBcfc
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Interference from the board? That would be on my list...

1 hour ago, Ghost Rider said:

I don’t know about you, but reading between the lines I think this “nest egg” was meant for the new HC and they didn’t want NP to touch it. I think the new HC might be given a hammer to crack the piggy bank open. 

From listening to Gavin Marshall’s ITV West interview, I got the impression the Alex Scott money is going to used to spread over the coming years, to reduce SL’s funding reliance each year.

To use a crude example, if SL was gonna fund £20m per year, he’d “keep-back” £5m a year (from the Scott money) to virtually reduce his funding requirement to £15m per year.

Of course the club still expect to sell players (that’s the model) so that gives him a bit of security to allow some player investment.

So, I honestly don’t think the piggy-bank gets cracked open, but the new head-coach will be using a screwdriver to extract some of it.  Which full-circle surprises me why Nige wasn’t allowed some too!

Happy if others saw it different, but GM is SL’s money-man, so I think he is the one to follow on this issue.  Of course I may have misinterpreted it.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

From listening to Gavin Marshall’s ITV West interview, I got the impression the Alex Scott money is going to used to spread over the coming years, to reduce SL’s funding reliance each year.

To use a crude example, if SL was gonna fund £20m per year, he’d “keep-back” £5m a year (from the Scott money) to virtually reduce his funding requirement to £15m per year.

Of course the club still expect to sell players (that’s the model) so that gives him a bit of security to allow some player investment.

So, I honestly don’t think the piggy-bank gets cracked open, but the new head-coach will be using a screwdriver to extract some of it.  Which full-circle surprises me why Nige wasn’t allowed some too!

Happy if others saw it different, but GM is SL’s money-man, so I think he is the one to follow on this issue.  Of course I may have misinterpreted it.

That is his choice and one that fans of every club obsess over, however if we can't fill a subs bench that suggests that things are being run a bit too tight.

• Like 1

On 06/11/2023 at 13:38, Spreadsheet Boy said:

Know this is from Monday but has struck a chord. Imagine sinking that much of your own money into something each year, although all relative to wealth and getting such a poisonous and obnoxious set of fans in return. ouch 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Fjmcity said:

Know this is from Monday but has struck a chord. Imagine sinking that much of your own money into something each year, although all relative to wealth and getting such a poisonous and obnoxious set of fans in return. ouch 

I think one of the problems for SL, well there are a range if issues but specifically for this.

A lot of owners are 5-10 years or get into the PL relatively quickly or yoyo.

We have had one near miss in his 20-25 years. Lots of support, without a great deal of tangible reward.

There is a frustration among fans..as we often seem to hit a glass ceiling and then stall or regress and in addition it feels like his tenure may have run it's course. Bit of stasis and stagnation.

Especially with JL not properly taking on the mantle and grasping the nettle to run the club overall. He is only in the role because of who he is.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

47 minutes ago, Fjmcity said:

Any reason to tag that on the end of my post about GM’s interview and interpretation of what he was saying to the fans?