IGNORED

Liam Manning - CONFIRMED NEW HEAD COACH

Lydered

4 minutes ago, mozo said:

If Manning likes two at the base then I guess that would be James and Knight, with Knight given a tad more licence to maraud?

Knight is wasted there, if we're insisting on "front foot football". But he's no number 10 either, so where does that leave manning's preference for 2 deep lying CMs?

We're getting ahead of ourselves - let's see if he gets the job first!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, soultrader said:

@Davefevs I wouldn't read that much into it.

She most likely just fancies you

⬇️⬇️⬇️

4 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

To be fair, Craig Short was a big, ugly, uncompromising centre half so she has a type…

You beat me to it, although I was only gonna go as far as the centre-half bit!  You took it too far! 😉

2 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Has Mark Carter looked at his win % yet? He’s going to get a right hard on!!!

His mum has already broken up the sheets with a lump hammer twice this week!

• Haha 9

16 minutes ago, Harry said:

James won’t have his contract renewed and I think he’ll replace him - and won’t be surprised if he asks for Brannigan. 
Knight, for me, doesn’t have the creativity to play the AM role that Twine & Rodrigues do in Manning’s teams. 
Knight has a role to play, absolutely, but I think LM will want a more creative player in that AM role. 

I wouldn’t be against James signing a one year deal with a to get replacement being bought it to share the load/take over. James plays ever game when fit which can’t be helpful in keeping him fit.

With Williams probably going, we need to learn lessons from when we tried to replace Pack and Smith in the last few days of a window at once! That ultimately cost LJ his job IMO.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Harry said:

Sorry chaps. I just wanted to chip in on the 3 at the back debate. 

When at MK Dons, I watched a lot of their games that season (as I was watching Scott Twine as much as I could). 
They played 3 CB’s. Darling central, O’Hora right and Lewington left. 
It can be easy to think that Lewington can be listed as a left back but that season he was playing as the left CB in a 3. 

At Oxford, he started out with 4 at the back. But has recently changed to 3 after the signing of Greg Leigh late in August. 

At the start of the season he was generally playing Ciaron Brown LB, Sam Long RB, with Elliot Moore plus one of either Stephan Negru or Jordan Thornily as the 2 CB’s. 

After Leigh was signed (as well as Fin Stevens on loan from Brentford) he’s generally played 3 (5 of the last 7 games). 
Elliot Moore has been the central CB, with Sam Long RCB and Ciaron Brown LCB. 
He’s then had Fin Stevens at RWB and Greg Leigh at LWB. 

Again, if you look at some of the formations listed on various websites, a lot of the time it’s a bit of a guess by the person who input that team onto the site. The 5 names listed above only has 1 true CB in Moore. The other 4 are traditionally full backs. So it’s easy to think that he’s playing a 4 and some sites seem to show Leigh as playing as a left winger. 
From what I’ve seen that’s not the case. Leigh is definitely playing as a wing back. But the way Manning played at MK and from what I can see so far at Oxford is that he likes the wing backs to play very high and the 2 outside CB’s to split very wide. 

So yes, you are both technically correct. He’s played both a 4 and a 3 this season. But given he’s recruited Stevens and Leigh (and given he played it at MK) my inkling is that his preference is a 3. 

Much like McKenna, he will avoid all talk about formations and instead talk about 'principles' and moving players about within games and in/out of possession. At MK, he was very fluid between 4-2-3-1, 3-5-2, 3-4-3.

I've flicked through this thread with interest and surprised by the negativity! He would be a great appointment for you. Us Ipswich fans were worried he might end up at Norwich. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Dan11 said:

Much like McKenna, he will avoid all talk about formations and instead talk about 'principles' and moving players about within games and in/out of possession. At MK, he was very fluid between 4-2-3-1, 3-5-2, 3-4-3.

I've flicked through this thread with interest and surprised by the negativity! He would be a great appointment for you. Us Ipswich fans were worried he might end up at Norwich. 

Very few are negative about Manning.

We are negative, and angry, about the way our owners treated Pearson. We'll need a while to get over that (3 points by 5o'clock on Saturday should do it).

And I'll be surprised if Manning doesn't do well for us but whether that will be good enough for our deluded owners is another thing entirely.

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 2
  • Flames 4

3 minutes ago, Dan11 said:

Good to hear matey and certainly hoping he can do the business.  

I think much of the negativity stems from our recent poll on here prior to the Pearson sacking, when 95% of the votes were for wanting Nige to stay.

So more pro NP, rather than anti Manning.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Henry said:

I wouldn’t be against James signing a one year deal with a to get replacement being bought it to share the load/take over. James plays ever game when fit which can’t be helpful in keeping him fit.

With Williams probably going, we need to learn lessons from when we tried to replace Pack and Smith in the last few days of a window at once! That ultimately cost LJ his job IMO.

Agreed. Though tbh I'm not sure he'll want to stick around even if we were to offer him something.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Henry said:

3 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Agreed. Though tbh I'm not sure he'll want to stick around even if we were to offer him something.

From what I understand, I very much don’t expect us to offer him a new deal. 
But…Manning may see something in him and convince the club to keep him. 
I think Pearson would’ve offered him an extension but I don’t believe “the club” thought the same. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, 22A said:

According to this morning's TV, the clubs still have to decide the compensation package. Then LM will be ours.

The Post reported yesterday that there was a 6 figure release clause so no compensation issue?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Harry said:

From what I understand, I very much don’t expect us to offer him a new deal. 
But…Manning may see something in him and convince the club to keep him. 
I think Pearson would’ve offered him an extension but I don’t believe “the club” thought the same. 

Matty James has been one of our best players in recent years in my humble opinion. And clearly a good character.

• Like 12
  • Flames 2
  • Robin 1

19 minutes ago, Dan11 said:

As others have alluded, the negativity is more due to Pearson’s dismissal. 

Personally, I’m not as bothered as others about Pearson leaving and am actually quite enthused at Manning’s appointment. 
As I said earlier, I watched the MK team a number of times under his tenure and I really enjoyed the way they played. 
Similarly, I saw Oxford a couple of times last year (before he arrived) and they were dog-awful and I thought they’d go down, but since his arrival he’s turned around the results but also the performances. 

I’m probably in a minority on here but I’m actually happy with his arrival. 

• Like 10
  • Robin 1

1 minute ago, Harry said:

Personally, I’m not as bothered as others about Pearson leaving and am actually quite enthused at Manning’s appointment. 
As I said earlier, I watched the MK team a number of times under his tenure and I really enjoyed the way they played. 
Similarly, I saw Oxford a couple of times last year (before he arrived) and they were dog-awful and I thought they’d go down, but since his arrival he’s turned around the results but also the performances. 

Is there anyone who featured in the betting who you’d have preferred? Doesn’t matter whether a credible link or not - just theoretically 

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

When I met Rennie - which of course makes me biased - he talked about the improvements in fitness, the change they’d introduced, how the players bought into it, started to take ownership for monitoring themselves.  He talked about other managers noticing their fitness levels, Kompany being one.  We’ve heard from more than one manager this season about our relentless running this season.

And then you hear Jon Effing Lansdown coming out with words like “deconditioned”.

I can’t go into some of the things he talked about, as that would be wrong.  But based on that there is no reason for a slur / discredit of the way the players were kept fit.

Really very poor comments from JL “clutching at straws comes to mind”.
 Think there’s something About Bristol Bears watching on during some fitness tests and admitted they were so much less fit than Bristol City boys, that they wouldn’t keep up with it. 

Seems like there might have been a hold up last minute.  If a poster on here is to be beileved that Chris hogg mannings assistant at both mk dons and oxford doesn't want to leave Oxford then they may be looking at other assistant head coaches they can employ along side manning.

Edited by BCFC31

3 minutes ago, Harry said:

Moving from Pearson to a younger "modern" coach not "manager" was transparently the plan. 

And it's a good one.

But the ham-fisted manner in which the transition has been handled leaves a lot to be desired.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, BCFC31 said:

Seems like they might have been a hold up last minute if a poster on here is to be beileve that Chris hogg manning assistant at both mk dons and oxford doesn't want yo leave Oxford then they may be looking at other assistant head coaches they can employ along side manning.

Who’s said on here that he doesn’t want to leave Oxford? Someone said that he lives in Ipswich (and so commuting to Bristol will be tricky) but not that he doesn’t want to leave Oxford that I’ve seen?

Edited by lenred
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, BCFC31 said:

Seems like they might have been a hold up last minute if a poster on here is to be beileve that Chris hogg manning assistant at both mk dons and oxford doesn't want yo leave Oxford then they may be looking at other assistant head coaches they can employ along side manning.

Is there a perfectly good Assistant at the club already? Curtis…..

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BCFC31 said:

Seems like there might have been a hold up last minute.  If a poster on here is to be beileved that Chris hogg mannings assistant at both mk dons and oxford doesn't want to leave Oxford then they may be looking at other assistant head coaches they can employ along side manning.

In fairness if true, he might be first in line to get the job there so I wouldn't blame him. His not coming shouldn't hold up our announcement, we can announce an assistant anytime down the line.

4 minutes ago, lenred said:

Who’s said on here that he doesn’t want to leave Oxford? Someone said that he lives in Ipswich but not that he doesn’t want to leave Oxford that I’ve seen?

I'm not sure,  I saw a post mentioning hogg doesn't want to follow manning to bristol city, I'd imagen that would be abit of a hurdle given how well they have worked  together in the past

Edited by BCFC31

7 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Is there anyone who featured in the betting who you’d have preferred? Doesn’t matter whether a credible link or not - just theoretically 

From those names that were in the betting - no. 
Manning or Mousinho were always the main plan. 

4 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Moving from Pearson to a younger "modern" coach not "manager" was transparently the plan. 

And it's a good one.

But the ham-fisted manner in which the transition has been handled leaves a lot to be desired.

Agreed. 

4 minutes ago, lenred said:

Who’s said on here that he doesn’t want to leave Oxford? Someone said that he lives in Ipswich (and so commuting to Bristol will be tricky) but not that he doesn’t want to leave Oxford that I’ve seen?

They didn't. He made it up.

• Hmmm 1

6 minutes ago, BCFC31 said:

Listened to the interview/podcast in question last night, and I personally couldn’t see anything more clearly than he’s going to leave Oxford too to work with him here. 

I believe the phrase he used was “I really couldn’t imagine working with anyone other than Liam”

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Loosey Boy said:

Is there a perfectly good Assistant at the club already? Curtis…..

Think it’s just that coaches/managers just work better with assistants that they know and can rub off of in terms of suggestions/plans

12 minutes ago, Harry said:

You are definitely in a minority.

However, more on here now seem to be falling in to the 'it could be worse' bracket. Others have just resigned themselves to just getting on with it bracket.

(not having a dig by the way).

5 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Listened to the interview/podcast in question last night, and I personally couldn’t see anything more clearly than he’s going to leave Oxford too to work with him here. 

I believe the phrase he used was “I really couldn’t imagine working with anyone other than Liam”

Which podcast is this ? 

22 minutes ago, Harry said:

There's enough of us who feel the same as you.

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

2 minutes ago, supercidered said:

However, more on here now seem to be falling in to the 'it could be worse' bracket. Others have just resigned themselves to just getting on with it bracket.

Yeah I can appreciate that. 
My take on it is that I was always of the opinion that Pearson wouldn’t get extended after his 3 years was up. So at some point, whether the end of this season or at some point during this season, he was going to leave. 
It came earlier than I expected and in circumstances that are unfavourable. But I always felt it was going to happen at some point this season. 
And the plan, even going back 3 years (and in Pearson’s own admission) was that someone else would come in and take forward what Pearson had stabilised. 

I’ve always felt that Pearson was simply the ‘stability’ manager and after the 3 years was up someone like a Manning would inherit the stability that Pearson created. 

I don’t like the circumstances as to how this has come about, but I’m happy with the appointment of Manning, having seen his teams a fair bit, I like his style of football. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Zuni said:

We will be recruiting and developing for a default formation (could be 3 at the back and wing backs). The Academy will play the same way to bring continuity.

Don't expect many (if any) James, King and Simpson type signings.

Bloody hope not. We’ve finally moved away from it and begun to press and play front foot football.

The academy have been matching the first team’s style of football for some time too.

• Like 3

Just now, NewquayRed said:

Agreed don’t like how it’s happened but the timing feels right to me 

Yep. I don't like the sacking, but have always advocated that a manager transition from Pearson to someone who could take us forward based on his foundation was the way to go.

I thought it would happen closer to the end of his contract, and might be more mutual, but the trigger got pulled earlier. Fine.

I am quite excited to see what Manning can do, whether he will change or the squad will change, and where we go from here.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, supercidered said:

A "vocal" minority maybe, but there are plenty, such as myself, who share Harry's view.

• Flames 3

1 minute ago, Zuni said:

You can play front football in a 3-5-2 formation !! - The League 1 promotion team ?

I am aware the plan was to mirror the first team but I have seen a few Academy games and am not so sure that was happening (certainly not all of the time), perhaps it just looked that way.

I agree I'm not sure why playing three at the back is so criticised by some posters. It's a perfectly good formation if used right and has been by loads of teams of the past including us. It's not even set in stone we'll use it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spud21 said:

Potentially, but I'd think Roberts is more likely to be the wing back if there is one, as from what I've seen he looks far better going forward than defending. 

Whereas Pring I think is much more balanced but way better at defending so as a full back I would say there is no contest but think Roberts does a job at wing back. 

He was catastrophic at wing back v Coventry.

Lucky to last 38 minutes 

12 minutes ago, KegCity said:

Bloody hope not. We’ve finally moved away from it and begun to press and play front foot football.

The academy have been matching the first team’s style of football for some time too.

3 at the back with wingback and front foot football are absolutely not mutually exclusive.

Arguably can be more suited to it

2 minutes ago, The Bard said:

He was catastrophic at wing back v Coventry.

Lucky to last 38 minutes 

He wasn't a great deal worse then the other 10 that were out there, they were all an absolute shambles, pulling him off made the most sense to accommodate the change in system but realistically could have been any of a number of players to accommodate the switch back to 4 at the back. 

My concerns about a back 3 are far more rooted in the midfield that we have than the defenders we have on the whole. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Harry said:

Yeah I can appreciate that. 
My take on it is that I was always of the opinion that Pearson wouldn’t get extended after his 3 years was up. So at some point, whether the end of this season or at some point during this season, he was going to leave. 
It came earlier than I expected and in circumstances that are unfavourable. But I always felt it was going to happen at some point this season. 
And the plan, even going back 3 years (and in Pearson’s own admission) was that someone else would come in and take forward what Pearson had stabilised. 

I’ve always felt that Pearson was simply the ‘stability’ manager and after the 3 years was up someone like a Manning would inherit the stability that Pearson created. 

I don’t like the circumstances as to how this has come about, but I’m happy with the appointment of Manning, having seen his teams a fair bit, I like his style of football. 

Largely agree Harry.

As others have said, the way this has been done speaks of incompetency elsewhere. Nige had to manage up more than any other manager I can think of.  Manning has clear coaching credentials. Can he deal with interference? With attempts to get under 21s involved when he isn't convinced by them? Who is his sounding board within the club? 

The current set up is a power vacuum.

• Like 8

16 hours ago, RedRoss said:

Has this place turned into Gaschat where every new user who shows any sign of negativity is a secret Ted? Any new user is automatically dismissed as a Lansdown sympathiser on here currently.

Think people are suspect as when NP was appointed we didn't see the on rush of new users, all of whom were critical of NP and praising the owners that we're seeing now.

What was more suspect was the fact a lot of the new posters joined literally the day before he was ultimately sacked.

Could be circumstantial but I can see others PoV.

Edited by Fuber
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Regarding compensation, will Manning want Chris Hogg, the goal keeping coach and data analyst?  Do they come as a package or will he have to work with the current staff?

if he brings in his own people then more people are going to be sacked and compensation is going to be very expensive.

1 hour ago, Dan11 said:

The way Norwich are performing, there's still time!😂

1 minute ago, Fuber said:

Think people are suspect as when NP was appointed we didn't see the on rush of new users, all of whom were critical of NP and praising the owners that we're seeing now.

What was more suspect was the fact a lot of the new posters joined literally the day before he was ulrimately sacked.

Could be circumstantial but I can see others PoV.

I understand the thought process but they can't be certain can they.

Without proof it's abit unfair for potentially new users who are just regular city fans getting abuse for their perspective and accused of being BS employees. It couldn't equally be feasible that a huge change i.e the sack of Nige could attract new sign ups for discussion?

We have regular browsers of the forum who haven't signed up already. We don't have to automatically attach a conspiracy of foul play and potentially put off new users. Again just seems a very gas like way of dealing with posters on here.

1 hour ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Very few are negative about Manning.

We are negative, and angry, about the way our owners treated Pearson.

And a good chunk on here completely understand that.  But there are some that continue to say otherwise despite you, me and plenty of other explaining as such.  But they just want to argue for the sake of arguing.

43 minutes ago, BCFC31 said:

My gut feel, if Liam Manning sees this as the right club for his next step, he’ll come regardless of Hogg.  As you say, there could be a time delay, but he still comes.  Personally I don’t think there will even be that, but that is just my logic, or lack of it! 😄

26 minutes ago, Zuni said:

We will be recruiting and developing for a default formation (could be 3 at the back and wing backs). The Academy will play the same way to bring continuity.

Don't expect many (if any) James, King and Simpson type signings.

Well, I just hope it follows what we’ve been recruiting towards for 18-24 months, because that’s what Tins said last week.  The criticism of Nige wasn’t the “plan” but the “performance” (according to JL and Tins) whether I agree or not with the decision.

I’d hope that you’d agree that if we are going heavily away from what we have been, that you’d question what the “hell” (polite version) the Tech Director and Head of Technical Director have been doing.  But from my point of view I’d be surprised if Manning looked at the likes of:

• Knight
  • McCrorie
  • Roberts
  • TGH
  • Sykes (last summer)

and thought they weren’t of the profile type a “young, front foot, forward thinking, high pressing” would want to bring into the club.  Tins was obviously very happy with the recruitment.

This quite simply should be a continuation of the plan, not a rip it up and start again.

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

Without proof it's abit unfair for potentially new users who are just regular city fans getting abuse for their perspective and accused of being BS employees. It couldn't equally be feasible that a huge change i.e the sack of Nige could attract new sign ups for discussion?

We have regular browsers of the forum who haven't signed up already. We don't have to automatically attach a conspiracy of foul play and potentially put off new users. Again just seems a very gas like way of dealing with posters on here.

The clue was they (some of the new users) signed up initially with their real names and / or email addresses that linked them back to Bristol Sport.  How effing dumb is that?

Hence why you’re seeing stuff about BS employees joining.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Flames 1
  • Facepalm 3

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

And a good chunk on here completely understand that.  But there are some that continue to say otherwise despite you, me and plenty of other explaining as such.  But they just want to argue for the sake of arguing.

My gut feel, if Liam Manning sees this as the right club for his next step, he’ll come regardless of Hogg.  As you say, there could be a time delay, but he still comes.  Personally I don’t think there will even be that, but that is just my logic, or lack of it! 😄

Well, I just hope it follows what we’ve been recruiting towards for 18-24 months, because that’s what Tins said last week.  The criticism of Nige wasn’t the “plan” but the “performance” (according to JL and Tins) whether I agree or not with the decision.

I’d hope that you’d agree that if we are going heavily away from what we have been, that you’d question what the “hell” (polite version) the Tech Director and Head of Technical Director have been doing.  But from my point of view I’d be surprised if Manning looked at the likes of:

• Knight
  • McCrorie
  • Roberts
  • TGH
  • Sykes (last summer)

and thought they weren’t of the profile type a “young, front foot, forward thinking, high pressing” would want to bring into the club.  Tins was obviously very happy with the recruitment.

This quite simply should be a continuation of the plan, not a rip it up and start again.

Chris Hogg still lives in the Ipswich area and commutes to Oxford. If his family don’t want to move to Oxfordshire, would they move to Bristol?  Manning might be good but is that because he has Hogg.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

The clue was they (some of the new users) signed up initially with their real names and / or email addresses that linked them back to Bristol Sport.  How effing dumb is that?

Very dumb but not surprising if they are linked to Bristol Sport.

3 hours ago, petehinton said:

Not a chance in hell it’s £600k buyout. It’s reported to be one years salary, no way he’s on £600k a year!

Just passing on a rumour I saw from 2 places, of course they could both be from the same ill informed source.
What I will say, I heard from a source I trust that he had a buy out clause in his Contract, which seems unusual. 
Again my source could be mistaken, but just passing on things I've heard.

3 hours ago, petehinton said:

Mid afternoon announcement apparently 

Did they say what day ? :thumbsup:

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I did see that said but didn't actually see any examples. If that's the case its just bizarre and outright stupid.

Also as you highlight it may just be some. Why does it matter either way. They'll likely say something positive in respect of JL or Manning or something else club related and multiple other posters will say the opposite.

I'd rather encourage debate rather than destroy it.

16 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

A number of new posters have been posting prodigiously since Nige was sacked, all saying much the same thing. If they're genuine City fans their posting rate indicates they enjoy being on the forum so let's see if they're still posting regularly in a few months time, or whether they just quietly disappear completely over the next few weeks.

• Like 5
  • Flames 1
  • Facepalm 1

39 minutes ago, Zuni said:

You can play front football in a 3-5-2 formation !! - The League 1 promotion team ?

I am aware the plan was to mirror the first team but I have seen a few Academy games and am not so sure that was happening (certainly not all of the time), perhaps it just looked that way.

36 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

I agree I'm not sure why playing three at the back is so criticised by some posters. It's a perfectly good formation if used right and has been by loads of teams of the past including us. It's not even set in stone we'll use it.

31 minutes ago, transfer reader said:

3 at the back with wingback and front foot football are absolutely not mutually exclusive.

Arguably can be more suited to it

Because you need elite wingbacks for the level in order for it to be successful. We had them in league one, we don’t have them now.

It’s hard to play pressing football with wingbacks. It’s not impossible but difficult.