IGNORED

Sammie Szmodics

29 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

The fee reported for Szmodics merely goes to prove that Ipswich paid too much for Delap. 

Not sure a 28 year old AM is comparable to a 21 year old striker? Very different type of purchase...

• Facepalm 1

41 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Yep, been covered a million times before.

Already had Paterson, bought Szmodics, then Palmer, didn’t need them all, so Paterson was shipped off on loan to Detby.

Szmodics got minimal opportunity then was sold to (League One) Peterborough.

Palmer did nothing & Paterson came back from his loan & got back in the team.

Muddled thinking par excellence.

Paterson on his day had proven he could score goals,  Palmer at 4 million had to play also so Szmodics was unproven in the Championship when he came to BC... such a shame we let him go.

I thought it was a mistake at the time to let him go after just 3/4 games as was not given a proper chance, however, i don’t think we have made too many mistakes like this in the past have we? 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

One is a proven goalscorer despite being in a poor team and the other is a second rate Conway. 

Let's see how his career goes... I'm confident he will play more in the prem and have a better career than Conway despite being '2nd rate'.

In fairness to Palmer when he was behind Weimann and Afobe that precise combination kind of worked.

When Afobe got injured however..and we all know how it declined from there for Palmer.

There was a duplication though and Palmer was the bigger name which was unfortunate and shouldn't be a way to pick sides- Szmodics never got a proper chance but players can also develop at different speeds.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nugget said:

Wasn’t he here around the time of Palmer? Maybe we were obliged to play him a certain number of times from Chelsea if it was the loan 

Yep, we had SS , KP45 AND Pato. Absurd.

8 minutes ago, RedEyez said:

Yep, we had SS , KP45 AND Pato. Absurd.

Yes, szmodics wasn’t given a chance . Seemed like (guessing )a mark Ashton signing . We already had pato then palmer & Sami but funnily enough didn’t play with a no10 . Bizarre. 
while most of us climbed into Ashton , blaming him for everything & giving some of the blame to Lansdown for just signing off on everything. He actually needs to take the majority of the blame . Ashton has proved at Ipswich to be a good at his job. If he’d had a better structure to work to & had a director of football to work with then it might have worked out differently . However as SL has proved time & again , on the football side of things he gets it massively wrong . 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

If he’d had a better structure to work to & had a director of football to work with then it might have worked out differently

Agree, or a suitable go-between between LJ and CEO / Board.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

Yes, szmodics wasn’t given a chance . Seemed like (guessing )a mark Ashton signing . We already had pato then palmer & Sami but funnily enough didn’t play with a no10 . Bizarre. 
while most of us climbed into Ashton , blaming him for everything & giving some of the blame to Lansdown for just signing off on everything. He actually needs to take the majority of the blame . Ashton has proved at Ipswich to be a good at his job. If he’d had a better structure to work to & had a director of football to work with then it might have worked out differently . However as SL has proved time & again , on the football side of things he gets it massively wrong . 

From what I recall, Szmodics was a data driven signing. LJ said he wanted a particular set of characteristics and his name kept matching it.

I can’t remember the exact LJ comment but it was almost along the lines of ‘I didn’t really want to sign him, but he kept ticking the boxes so I had to’.