IGNORED

County Cricket 2024 Season

phantom

17 hours ago, City Rocker said:

If that goes through, I might be having to look for a new cricket club (and indeed a new gym, after almost 20 years working out at BS7). Banks and his cohorts are so *NOT* welcome in what we, locally, are proud to say was one of the most emphatic REMAIN constituencies in the UK. 

I agree that he’s certainly a divisive and controversial figure, but a lot of what he has to say on how Gloucestershire has been run over the last decade is spot on. Like it or not, the place needs a huge shake up.

I’m not advocating for that shake up to come from Banks in particular, one of his main points being that the club needs to relocate away from Neville Road is already being worked on by the current administration, so it looks like you’ll need to find a new gym sooner or later anyway!

The important thing here for me is that first class cricket is maintained in the greater Bristol area for generations to come, and aside from his political views, he’s a successful businessman, and with the club having lost £1.2m last year, it would be churlish not to at least listen to his proposals.

• Like 1

On 26/06/2024 at 16:38, BS15_RED said:

I agree that he’s certainly a divisive and controversial figure, but a lot of what he has to say on how Gloucestershire has been run over the last decade is spot on. Like it or not, the place needs a huge shake up.

I’m not advocating for that shake up to come from Banks in particular, one of his main points being that the club needs to relocate away from Neville Road is already being worked on by the current administration, so it looks like you’ll need to find a new gym sooner or later anyway!

The important thing here for me is that first class cricket is maintained in the greater Bristol area for generations to come, and aside from his political views, he’s a successful businessman, and with the club having lost £1.2m last year, it would be churlish not to at least listen to his proposals.

You make some good points, and the club does need a new direction and probably new backers if it is to survive and thrive in the future. I don't mind the idea of a new out-of-town ground, and if the Hundred is here to stay then I guess we need to be a part of it.

Nonetheless I'm not sure it would be the wisest idea for the club to involve itself with a man with such a murky background, has had alleged involvement with Putin and Trump, and invested a lot of money in supporting the Brexit campaign (which was presumably in his own financial interests, whilst obviously being ruinous for ordinary Brits).

Is there a fit-and-proper persons test for cricket club owners? 

• Like 1

On 27/06/2024 at 20:39, City Rocker said:

You make some good points, and the club does need a new direction and probably new backers if it is to survive and thrive in the future. I don't mind the idea of a new out-of-town ground, and if the Hundred is here to stay then I guess we need to be a part of it.

Nonetheless I'm not sure it would be the wisest idea for the club to involve itself with a man with such a murky background, has had alleged involvement with Putin and Trump, and invested a lot of money in supporting the Brexit campaign (which was presumably in his own financial interests, whilst obviously being ruinous for ordinary Brits).

Is there a fit-and-proper persons test for cricket club owners? 

I agree with a lot of what you say, the fact he’s already taken aim at the ECB is a cause for concern as they’ll be invaluable in the building of the new ground, both in terms of grants and technical support.

• Like 1

Glamor

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

This could be an absolute humiliation for Gloucestershire.

99 runs, 4 wickets..What time does it finish these days, 6pm?

Screenshot_20240703-165228_Chrome.thumb.jpg.0c178468c00f4204a94d3b67426c2717.jpg

What is the record 4th innings a) Successful chase and b) Total.

25 overs left apparently

• Thanks 1