IGNORED

Unpopular City Strikers

Oh Louie louie

1 hour ago, Oh Louie louie said:

I think the most unpopular striker in my time was Scott mcgarvey, he got terrible stick from the dolman, even when he scored he was called a flash fing such and such, his scoring record for us was decent 

I heard a story that after being kicked up in the air against the squatters , he said , this isn't the Manchester Derby !
Shows he thought it would be an easy ride down here. I never took to him I must admit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oh Louie louie said:

I think the most unpopular striker in my time was Scott mcgarvey, he got terrible stick from the dolman, even when he scored he was called a flash fing such and such, his scoring record for us was decent 

Before my time - why was he unpopular? Decent record on wiki. Goal every other game pretty much. 

Edited by Engvall’s Splinter

28 minutes ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

Before my time - why was he unpopular? Decent record on wiki. Goal every other game pretty much. 

Along with Gary Stanley, Scott had a "very lovely" hair cut and the swagger of a star player...alas on the pitch they were bang average and not that hard working- McGarvey did put a few away, but he was not a team player....and the Fans could see that!

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, adamski said:

Along with Gary Stanley, Scott had a "very lovely" hair cut and the swagger of a star player...alas on the pitch they were bang average and not that hard working- McGarvey did put a few away, but he was not a team player....and the Fans could see that!

Ah! The man who reminded me of the entry for Earth in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy....  "Mostly Harmless". 

He never really did anything to upset me, he just did nothing really. For someone of his pedigree he was the least effective player I have ever seen.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

According to Burning Spear, "no-one remember old Scott McGarvey".

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

Ah! The man who reminded me of the entry for Earth in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy....  "Mostly Harmless". 

He never really did anything to upset me, he just did nothing really. For someone of his pedigree he was the least effective player I have ever seen.

For some reason, whenever I think of GS (which TBF isn't often) I just see him strolling around in that "mini series"   The Aldershot Cup Tie  !

1 hour ago, adamski said:

The thing I remember most about Gary Stanley, apart from him being virtually pointless. Was during one game ,which so so memorable that I've forgotten who it was against, he was on the bench and stood to warm up. Big shout from the crowd of "sit down Stanley" , in my memory he actually sat back down, though it was a long time ago.

In my opinion "Bang average" is being too kind.

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

The thing I remember most about Gary Stanley, apart from him being virtually pointless. Was during one game ,which so so memorable that I've forgotten who it was against, he was on the bench and stood to warm up. Big shout from the crowd of "sit down Stanley" , in my memory he actually sat back down, though it was a long time ago.

I think you're right, I was far too generous regarding "Gary Stanley and his lovely hair cut"...he could easily been replaced by a life size cardboard cut out....Our group's chant..previously referenced... was the only positive we could think of, by the same token, we downgraded Bob Taylor's chant as he became less effective to "Bob, Bob average Bob, average Bobby Taylor".... the joyous humour of the Park End are much missed, as is the small change collected during certain games!!!

• Like 1

On 19/11/2023 at 10:44, 1960maaan said:

Ray Attaveld wasn’t any better either. 

16 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

I do believe I was , very little memory of the day though.

As a reminder.

The 3 'A's sent off. As I seem to remember, one more and the game was abandoned.....it was tense (to say the least!) on the terraces that day!

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Unpopular City Strikers
16 minutes ago, Ben1980 said:

Kevin Nugent was always unpopular. Remember him getting booed every time they ran through the teams on the tannoy. 

Tbf he was slow - made my Nan look quick. 

Not fair !!  He always showed a turn of speed when pulling the helicopter on Weston sands. Steve Torpey was another.

1 minute ago, BigTone said:

Not fair !!  He always showed a turn of speed when pulling the helicopter on Weston sands. Steve Torpey was another.

Steve Torpey was dreadful. He scored 13 goals in three seasons and Phil Jevons bagged 11 in two seasons……pretty crap for strikers. Jevons had the nickname ‘turbo’ as he was so slow………:laugh:

• Like 1

On 19/11/2023 at 10:36, slartibartfast said:

For some reason, whenever I think of GS (which TBF isn't often) I just see him strolling around in that "mini series"   The Aldershot Cup Tie  !

One of those replays was one of the best games I ever saw at AG. I think we won 1-0 in the end 

As a youngster and just started watching city couldn’t work out why fans were booing Scott McGarvey and still can’t really - I thought we were sitting with the away fans 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Steve Torpey was dreadful. He scored 13 goals in three seasons and Phil Jevons bagged 11 in two seasons……pretty crap for strikers. Jevons had the nickname ‘turbo’ as he was so slow………:laugh:

Wasn't Jevons a Gas cast off ?

6 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Jevons was fine. 11 in 41 in L1 which included numerous sub appearances. Then he was binned off once we reached the Champ quite rightly.

• Hmmm 1

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Came from Yeovil.

Anyone remember Steve Johnson? Terry Cooper paid about £30k for him I think which was a lot for us back in the 80’s. My one memory of him was ballooning the ball over the bar when he was put through at Eastville. We lost 1-0 to a Holloway goal and can’t remember him playing for us again?! 

55 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Jevons was only here for one full season (2006/07), in which he scored 17 goals.

He was gone by November 2007. Did a job for us in League One. Definitely better than crap. 

Edited by David Brent
  • Like 7

On 19/11/2023 at 10:44, 1960maaan said:

I remember reading about this incident in a Chelsea fanzine of the time.  The author was quite upset and staggered that Stanley- who was apparently a bit of a hero in those parts- was so unpopular at Ashton.

Ralph Milne. Remember being chastised by a fellow city fan for shouting encouragement rather than abuse away at Walsall. Alex Ferguson fancied him after having him at Aberdeen and signed him for Man U. Ralph scored one absolute cracker in front of the East End but struggled being accused of being lazy.

39 minutes ago, Cidre Monita said:

Anyone remember Steve Johnson? Terry Cooper paid about £30k for him I think which was a lot for us back in the 80’s. My one memory of him was ballooning the ball over the bar when he was put through at Eastville. We lost 1-0 to a Holloway goal and can’t remember him playing for us again?! 

'Rambo'

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

I think your Jevons opinion may be negatively influenced by the fact that he was a Gary Johnson favourite RR, he wasn't that bad. Somewhere in the middle ranking over the years for me.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

29 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I remember reading about this incident in a Chelsea fanzine of the time.  The author was quite upset and staggered that Stanley- who was apparently a bit of a hero in those parts- was so unpopular at Ashton.

It was nothing personal Miah, it was just he was crap.

• Admin
1 hour ago, Malago said:

Steve Jones.

1 hour ago, DaveF said:

Was he unpopular? He had a lovely tan.

First season he was awful, literally nothing dropped for him

Fair play though, he went away the following summer and worked really hard on his fitness and tan, and came back a half decent striker

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

I think your Jevons opinion may be negatively influenced by the fact that he was a Gary Johnson favourite RR, he wasn't that bad. Somewhere in the middle ranking over the years for me.

Yep, top scorer in his only full season with us, (17, not 11 in two seasons) we also got promoted.

You’re right, so it’s absolute horseshit to suggest that he was either unpopular or poor.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

Yep, top scorer in his only season with us, we also got promoted.

You’re right, so it’s absolute horseshit to suggest that he was either unpopular or poor.

He was both Graham.  Everyone around me in the Dolman back then thought he was crap. One wit once remarked ‘Jevons is slower than he looks’……………...:laugh:

58 minutes ago, David Brent said:

Jevons was only here for one full season (2006/07), in which he scored 17 goals.

He was gone by November 2007. Did a job for us in League One. Definitely better than crap. 

Yeah but apart from it being 17 goals in 1 season rather than 11 goals in 2 seasons you have to say it’s wonderfully accurate analysis that we’ve all come to know and love.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

19 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

Not just my opinion Rich - loads of fans in the Dolman around me thought the same. 

I should think there are hundreds of anonymous City strikers who are unpopular, mostly because they didn’t score enough goals or because they didn’t try hard enough.

I think Stevie Neville went fifteen games without scoring but we were all behind him because he tried his best .

We have signed our fair share of show ponies just here for an easy life. 

Just now, Northern Red said:

Tony Thorpe wasn't particularly popular by the end, once he'd announced he wasn't going to sign a contract.

I saved a lot of time by disliking him very early on.

Lazy flat track bully, who was out of his depth at Championship level (2 goals there in his entire career) who Lennartsson said was one of the worst professionals he ever worked with. Brilliant if we were already 3-0 up against the likes of Cambridge though..

If you listen to him on commentary (as I had the misfortune of doing v QPR) he still thinks he was Robbie Fowler standard or something.

2 minutes ago, Rossi the Robin said:

Patrick Agyemang 6ft 2. Fans from previous teams said he couldn’t head a ball. They were right

7 appearances 0 goals 

We certainly cornered the market with journeymen strikers during our fall to the bottom of L1. Turned up, played about 5 games and left again

Agyemang

Tyrone Barnett

Stern John

Marlon Harewood

Martin Paterson

Any others?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cidre Monita said:

He was Cooper's most expensive signing at the time. The big front man we needed, given that we played with two wingers.

He could head the ball, but...

Bu99er went to Chester and scored against us.

• Haha 1