IGNORED

Middlesborough at home match thread

Jerseybean

Summary of the game from comments on Boro forum.

Gotta get more possesion.

Bristol having too much possession for my liking. Not threatening hugely but we're letting them dictate the game.

Holy *** that was some strike! Just a shame it was Bristol. ☹️ It was coming though - we were letting them control the game too much.

I know the defending is poor and is probably related but we have to concede the highest % of worldies right? I swear every team just bangs in worldies Vs us ever week almost.

could easily have beena  red card that. So clumsy

Fry a very luck boy there!

Pen to Bristol 😞 its falling apart

Bang average BC team are battering up.

FFS Fry. absolutely awful couple of mins from him. Madness

Bummer. 2-0

Clumsy Fry! What was he thinking?

Decent penalty - Dieng needed to guess right to stop that.

Shambolic from Jones initially. Repeatedly poor from Fry. Thrown it away.

Suppose we also need to bear i mind Bristol are benefitting from a new manager bounce...but even so we have been way below par and honestly IMO the scoreline doesn't flatter City at all.

No changes, unbelievable from Carrick unless we witness a complete turnaround.

I get the whole all our defenders are *** cos we conceded thing but didn't we just keep 5 clean sheets in our past 7 league games? 

Hahaha what an og

Hahahahahahahahahaha

Wtf was that?!?!

YES! Exactly the start Boro needed! We're a second half team... 😁

Was that Crooks with the shot off the bar?

Then Owen Goal comes to Boro's aid with a hilarious defensive header that loops gently over their keeper.

2-2 croooksy!

What a come back! Great stuff from crooks for both goals. Guess we woke up

Now what a disappointment this will be if we do not go on and win this blooming game or lose it. Never have we been in a better position to win a game

Getting sloppy again we are not taking it to them or causing problems Carrick needs to make changes

Bloody hell! Another set piece not defended. 

Unbelievable.

We made no effort to take the lead after equalising and have paid the penalty

Bristol City really are a poor side. If we lose this game we cannot have any complaints. 

Our attitude since equalising has been criminal what a time to take it to BC and yet zip all!

Oh well... Onwards and upwards. Utb

Well, we can't complain about the result. Boro haven't deserved to get anything from this. Also, if not for Dieng the scoreline could have looked a lot worse. Boro were far too casual first half. Looking for all the world like England under Southgate in "game management mode". Defensively awful - no complaints about going 2-0 down. 10 or 15 minutes of hope in the second half as Boro got themselves back into the game, but we quickly went flat again after that and failed to exert any meaningful pressure or control on the game. We failed to cut out Bristol's attacks and paid the price by conceding a third. Most annoyingly Boro didn't really try to apply any serious pressure until the last 5-10 minutes, but even then our play was sloppy and disjointed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 12

18 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Losing a two goal lead, very City like

To then win the game, incredibly unlike City. Pearson threatened it against Stoke but I don't remember that happening for years? 

Fair play Manning

I was thinking about this earlier. 3rd  Dec 2002 (21 years ago!) v Notts Co. Have there been any similar City games in between?

27 minutes ago, Ian M said:

Anis grew in confidence the longer he was on today. Hopefully Manning is the man to get him firing as he has the raw ingredients to be a superstar for us.

Agreed, glimpses of what we want to see from him and of confidence coming back. I have to say there were a couple of times I was shouting at him to stay in the corner!! But as it all worked out anyway -  I'm glad he took the players on as it should hopefully help him find some form, although if we had conceded last minute I would have been annoyed that he hadn't shown better game management. 

• Like 1

Well as usual go 2 up and then concede to quick goals, still the boy's showed great spirit in keeping them out after going ahead again with a great goal from Sykes, he could so easily have put the ball into the side netting. With the 7 minutes added, it was touch and go, but the boy's did it. Well done.

Odd game. Midfield was absent for the first 25 minutes. We created a few chances and scored two very good goals. Middlesbrough were pretty dissapointing aside from both the restarts. One thing, should it have been a red? In real time I didn't think so but glancing at the replay at half time it seemed worse than I thought. 

What do you say about a game like that?!!

Firstly, Boro are clearly a decent team and have the potential to reach the playoffs, so a win is a great result.

I'll get the negatives out the way... I've got issues with Bell at the moment, and Pring and Tanner looked tentative amd reluctant to push up. But Vyner was the big problem. It's not just the calamitous own goal, it was also a couple of sloppy errors early on that put us under pressure, and I thought he really fortunate to get away with a studs up sliding tackle in our area which just missed the attacker but could easily have been a pen and / or a red. It's no good being steady for the majority of the game if you're prone to mishaps. 

I was delighted that we were able to regain the initiative in the first half, culminating in Boro making their own mistakes at the back, and likewise in the second half, we were pegged back in no time, but still wrestled control of the game again, and prior to that great finish from Sykes, City had regained the edge.

It was dire game for half an hour, but the last hour was great entertainment, and I think we've just got to enjoy the 3 points.

• Hmmm 1

A deserved win overall. I get what people are saying about the football, It wasn't entertaining, but we controlled possession first half and took our chance well + they could (maybe should) have been down to 10 men too. Awful first 10/15mins in the second half, but then we settled back in and defended really well. 

In short, I thought we were good, not that exciting, but solid except that 10/15 min phase. Some people said we were nervous defensively after that - but I don't think we were, we were pretty organised and solid, particularly on crosses and corners. Don't get me wrong I was nervous watching, but that's different from the players being nervous. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, 1team said:

My only observation is that the keystone cops defending reappeared which had been eradicated by the previous management. Can't say I enjoyed the watch, particularly  first half, but loved the result. 

Let's be honest most of us feared the worst at 2-2 but fair play they showed some real guts to win that game.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MelksRed said:

So you have no concerns whatsoever? All is good?

Bit of a difference between having concerns and believing we will drop like a stone. The other thing I won’t do, as much as I disagree with the way Pearson was treated, is dismiss Manning simply because he’s not Pearson.

Too many clowns on here wanting to hound the new Manager out then completely forgetting in their rage which pair of ***** will be selecting the next one if we do that. Nige ain’t coming back, it’s over whether we like it or not.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

The most negative first half since Pulis. 

Delighted to be 2 in front at the break, and all the more delighted with the 3 points, but if this is 'playing football on the front foot' then I have clearly misunderstood the term.

This might shock a few people but Snakey and the Crayon Whisperer were talking complete and utter shit when they fired Nige out of it. Manning will do what he can with that squad of players until he can bring some in and gung ho front foot football it won’t be, doesn’t matter what the two clowns running it said.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Bit of a difference between having concerns and believing we will drop like a stone. The other thing I won’t do, as much as I disagree with the way Pearson was treated, is dismiss Manning simply because he’s not Pearson.

Too many clowns on here wanting to hound the new Manager out then completely forgetting in their rage which pair of ***** will be selecting the next one if we do that. Nige ain’t coming back, it’s over whether we like it or not.

Fair comment.

I am currently underwhelmed by the type of football we are playing, not the results.

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

Elements of the sublime, the ridiculous and the entirely mediocre were all on show today. We're a spectacular example of a textbook Championship team and we've just won a textbook Championship football match.

Spot on , and if we keep selling talent as if it arises we will never be anything better. Great result today.

6 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Delighted to be 2 in front at the break, and all the more delighted with the 3 points, but if this is 'playing football on the front foot' then I have clearly misunderstood the term.

Perhaps you would prefer to see us conceding defeat in the last 5 mins , 

small steps and all that , I do know what you say but I can also see the other side , the more you keep possession and have the ball hopefully reduces the % of time you are likely to concede 

Not many of us predicted a City win today against a flying Boro side so all in all a very good result . Two points off the play offs . :blink:
It will take time for the new coaching staff to get their ideas across and the players adapting but as of now L.M unbeaten in two. 
Well done to all, a gutsy performance. 
As for TGH. , foot like a traction engine.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, 1team said:

My only observation is that the keystone cops defending reappeared which had been eradicated by the previous management. Can't say I enjoyed the watch, particularly  first half, but loved the result. 

You are joking. NP defences were some of the worst I have seen at City. The amount of games we threw away in the last few minutes should have cost home his job on its own. 

• Flames 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 minute ago, Bristol Rob said:

Fair comment.

I am currently underwhelmed by the type of football we are playing, not the results.

There’s only one fix imo. Investment. You may question why LM will be given the nest egg and not Nige but we all know the craic with Nige’s dismissal. Once the owner decides you aren’t his cup of tea you are toast.

• Like 3

That was an interesting game.

Penalty! Wow.

Gardner-Hickman? Pick that one out!

Slow burner to say the least, started so slowly didn't we. Whole game first half hour or so, felt not that eventful.

Teams can go under when shipping a 2 goal lead in no time at all after HT, to wrest it back showed initiative. Plus reap character.

Pre game I'd have taken a point provided the performance was decent, have to be satisfied, decent start for Manning this.

Nice to see Williams back on and latterly off the bench too.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, BS3_RED said:

You are joking. NP defences were some of the worst I have seen at City. The amount of games we threw away in the last few minutes should have cost home his job on its own. 

Joint second best defensive record before today. It takes time to get your back four right then you move to other areas of the team. Manning has done the same in his short time here albeit Vyner was back to the player of two years ago today. People who want managers to lose their job every six months really don’t have a clue.

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

That is rubbish. Hell the first game of the season was worse than that. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Joint second best defensive record before today. It takes time to get your back four right then you move to other areas of the team. Manning has done the same in his short time here albeit Vyner was back to the player of two years ago today. People who want managers to lose their job every six months really don’t have a clue.

Never said that I wanted him sacked, I said all along they should have let him.see out his contract and then moved on. Just pointing out over his time at City his defence and games thrown away late in the game was horrendous. 

Rose tinted glasses me thinks from some people. As JL pointed out a large proportion of the fan base would probably not have had a problem before this season if City had let him go.

2 minutes ago, BS3_RED said:

Never said that I wanted him sacked, I said all along they should have let him.see out his contract and then moved on. Just pointing out over his time at City his defence and games thrown away late in the game was horrendous. 

Rose tinted glasses me thinks from some people. As JL pointed out a large proportion of the fan base would probably not have had a problem before this season if City had let him go.

I’ve only used facts on our defensive record before today. I judged Pearson favourably on the resources he was given, I don’t give a **** what Snakey and Captain Crayon say and think, and I’ll treat Liam Manning the same…….in other words ignore the complete and utter shit that dribbled out of the upstairs mob when Nige was fired and judge Manning on the players of generally average ability at the level that he’s got.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

On 24/11/2023 at 17:13, bcfc01 said:

Sensible post.

Boro are in great form, one defeat in ten and 18 scored.

Can't see us getting anything from the game - and would say the same if Pearson was still here.

Oops :laughcont:

Really good first half performance and great defending second half (apart from the first 10 minutes).

Matched them which, after all the turmoil etc, is testament to the players.

Glad LM got off to a very good first home match.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Wanderingred said:

A coach that has given us a great reason to feel optimistic. Well done city!!!!

I'm not sure what game you were watching but for the 1st 40 mins pretty much everyone inside Ashron Gate had fallen asleep from Vyner and Dickie just passing between themselves. If that's front foot football then I don't like front foot football. 

Absolutely delighted with the win. I did have a feeling we may do what we did against Stoke so delighted that we did the opposite and went on to win.

1 hour ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Excellent to see a new young coach making the most of his squad and winning at home . Makes a refreshing change.

We won at home against Coventry and people were very critical of our performance. Lets have some balance. We won again today despite not playing well. So I'm not sure where the change is? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Nige was sacked. I just think you need to get over it and support the new Coach. Perhaps even give him 1 transfer window (as opposed to six) and more than 1 home game (which we won) AND had  8 shots on target which is unusual in most matches over the past 2 1/2 years.

Just now, W-S-M Seagull said:

I

We won at home against Coventry and people were very critical of our performance. Lets have some balance. We won again today despite not playing well. So I'm not sure where the change is? 

The change is that I no longer have to listen to your bleating on about Nige the Messiah. 

Works for me.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Flames 3
  • Facepalm 1

1 minute ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

I didn't see the game but this cat and mouse approach early on, were we just trying to draw them out and create some space? Quite normal if so, though not entertaining, I get that.

I think it was basically keeping possession over playing a percentage ball over the top and waiting for a good opportunity. We had more movement than against QPR, but still not enough - if we play with the kind of possession we had 1st half and improve the movement and passing options I think we'll do well. 

2nd half we were sleeping 1st 10/15. OG didn't help and the atmosphere was flat when it could really have helped + lifted the players. But once we were back in front we defended well, went a little more direct (to me a bit more like we were under NP), and looked comfortable. 

• Like 1