IGNORED

Southampton away match thread

Jerseybean

Just now, Silvio Dante said:

Dons fans - read a fair bit from them post his appointment. As ever, you can’t be 100% as there is always bias but it is the case that he went from feast to famine there. Losing Twine etc didn’t help but it is a worrying sign in view of its recency - and it was always going to be harder at a higher level

Fair enough. Can't say I've ever met one, nor would I visit their online following. 

I mean they were very, very good in his first season there tho, before getting shithoused by Ainsworths dour Wycombe in the play off semi. 

• Like 1

Just now, Kid in the Riot said:

Fair enough. Can't say I've ever met one, nor would I visit their online following. 

I mean they were very, very good in his first season there tho, before getting shithoused by Ainsworths dour Wycombe in the play off semi. 

Yeah agree - and if you can get a team playing like that Dons side with Darling, Twine, O’Reilly then nobody’s complaining. But I don’t think it’s unfair to give the question mark considering what happened post their departure.

Just now, Silvio Dante said:

Yeah agree - and if you can get a team playing like that Dons side with Darling, Twine, O’Reilly then nobody’s complaining. But I don’t think it’s unfair to give the question mark considering what happened post their departure.

No, I've just never heard the specific about in-game management. At Oxford it seems to have been a strength. Let's see how it unfolds here.

Immediate thoughts after that performance are generally positive.

We looked far more composed and comfortable with the ball throughout, although failing to be very creative with possession. we certainly look to be trying to play the ball forward at every opportunity and much quicker than in the past and it was a solid team performance. We didn’t seem to be under any massive threat from Southampton.

The two pivotal moments were a world class strike at the start of the second half and a marvelous save from their keeper when we looked like scoring towards the end of the first half.

Hopefully Naismith’s injury is nothing too serious, although I suspect it’s a reoccurrence of his recent hamstring issue.

On balance a draw tonight would’ve been the right result, but we were undone by a truly excellent strike.

Overall a tidy performance, which reinforced our weaknesses upfront in my opinion.  Bell and Conway both worked hard, but never really troubled Southampton. We didn’t create a chance in the second half as far as I can remember.

Great noise from the traveling fans who were a credit to the club.

• Like 5

Massively missed opportunity for points that. We looked totally out of ideas after they scored, which doesn’t make any sense after playing so well first half. We looked happy to just lose it 1-0. 

Given we were playing a side who would shag the ball if they could, the amount of times we needlessly turned the ball over was absolutely staggering.  

Second half was truly, truly horrific and was a borderline copy and paste of QPR. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1

Bit of a curates egg. Some good stuff, some clearly work in progress.

Southampton clearly the better side in the second half but still only managed one. We had more than enough chances to put the ball in their bloody net. Not scoring away is becoming a thing.

Ho hum. Frustrated more than anything.

• Like 2

Kinda difficult to post my opinions without being accused of having an agenda by those that do have an agenda. 

BUT that 2nd half was painful. Came out and conceded and we had no plan B. We had no plan at all. We went from being well coached to not being able to string two passes together. 

Really disappointed as the 1st half was a positive half .

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

'ere we go, the ******* fake injury

Time wasting was Preston like, kicked the ball away, deliberately took every restart from the wrong place & as you say pretend injuries.

Better side but some embarrassing stuff towards the end.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Mehmeti 🤣🤣🤣

I’ve had a guts full of Mehmeti now. Offers absolutely f all for me. Cornick is ok coming on when we are defending a lead but he is woeful when we need a goal and a spark.

what a dreadful second half performance against a Southampton side who have good players but are underperforming due to their crap manager

Edited by milo1111
  • Like 3

Got to take your chances. Should have been leading half time. Got a bit ragged after the goal & injury . Good finish but how about closing him down lads . Very good first half though. Decision making poor in the final third. Plenty more to come though 🤞🏻

Edited by steviestevieneville
  • Like 4

Saints one class above for most of the second half, but in the last 10-15 minutes we did better: shame we lacked something in accuracy/decision making (ex: Cornick's counter attack).

Anyway, more positives than negatives IMO.

Edited by Dan Robin
  • Like 2

Very annoying result against one of the weaker parachute teams in recent years. Very normal for us to go away to these teams and lose by one though. In fact you might say nothing has changed.

Too many players out of position for my liking so hopefully not Manning trying to be too clever, especially in the second half when the defence changed about five times.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jerseybean said:

We looked far more composed and comfortable with the ball throughout

First half yes, second half definitely not. Composure entirely lacking. Admittedly against a very good side at this level, so no shame in the overall performance. Composure in the final third has been a challenge for a long time, hope it can be coached, but think we need a bit more quality to push on. 

• Like 2

The fish rots from the head. Unless we can get our forwards firing my fear is sub-par performances will start to spread through the team. Sykes’s (my mom) frustration was clearly to see.

We’ve got to have buried at least two of those chances. 

First half looked great - disciplined, high energy, dangerous on the break. On another day could have been 2 or 3 up. Conway needs one to go in.

Second half about as big a contrast as you can possibly get, could barely string 3 passes together. Very sloppy.

They're a good side and we gave a very good account of ourselves for 45 minutes. I think if we hadn't been fed Crayola boy's nonsense about having a top six squad, we'd all be fairly content. 

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

Just now, W-S-M Seagull said:

Kinda difficult to post my opinions without being accused of having an agenda by those that do have an agenda. 

BUT that 2nd half was painful. Came out and conceded and we had no plan B. We had no plan at all. We went from being well coached to not being able to string two passes together. 

Really disappointed as the 1st half was a positive half .

Whether we rate the coach or not, if Knight. Gardner-Hickman & then Williams when he came on are going to repeatedly give the ball away I don’t know what he can do about that.

The squad is too small (he knows that, he isn’t filling the subs bench) & we ended the game with a back four all of whom are right footed.

Conway’s miss was a killer, best chance of the game.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

It was always going to be tough tonight, but this was a City team that we haven’t seen the likes of for some time

Well done the lads and the coaches, but especially LM who has now given us hope again.

In what way? Please explain. 

• Like 1