IGNORED

Southampton away match thread

Jerseybean

They didn't even look that good, disappointing to lose like that.

Some top players for this division in their squad but thought a few other teams have been better than them against us this year. 

Second half, didn't even look like we could pass a ball, what does he say at half time?

First half showed some real good signs, they made some tactical tweaks at the break and we just crumbled.

I don't mind getting beat by better teams but that second half is so deflating.

• Confused 1

Remember when this is supposed to be a team capable of being at the top end of the Championship?

The quality just isn’t there. They run their bollocks off, just as they did for the previous manager, but the genuine consistent quality… it’s not there.

And, ultimately, also just like the previous manager Liam Manning won’t be able to fix that without signing better players.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 5

8 minutes ago, tin said:

Decent first half; dross after the break. Got to take our chances when we’re on top. Top six still on, JL? 

I wouldn't say dross second half, but they stepped up a gear.

Two great chances for Conway gone begging first half, stick them in and we are away.

Small margins, but the better team won as expected.

Lots of positives in that performance - but also a lot to work on (we can't keep spurning good chancees)

On to Norwich..

Edited by bcfc01
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

We looked far more composed and comfortable 

Overall a tidy performance, which reinforced our weaknesses upfront in my opinion.  Bell and Conway both worked hard, but never really troubled Southampton. 

The weakness upfront is the reason we'll probably finish bottom half. Get a decent striker in (buy/loan) and we could be good for top 10. We had some great scoreable chances 1st half and didn't capitalise on it. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Robin101 said:

Anyone see what the extent of Naismith and Sykes’ injuries were? It’s just impossible for us to build a team with so many bloody injuries.

Naismith was a hamstring, Sykes was just a tactical switch I thought.

• Thanks 1

Just now, robin_unreliant said:

We've been like this for years and years. Incapable of playing well for a whole game. If we have one good half you can bet the next one will be crap.

We’ve been told by the Leadership that the change was made to ensure we got better though, so hopefully this happens soon….. 

3 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Very annoying result against one of the weaker parachute teams in recent years. Very normal for us to go away to these teams and lose by one though. In fact you might say nothing has changed.

Too many players out of position for my liking so hopefully not Manning trying to be too clever, especially in the second half when the defence changed about five times.

Thin squad, injuries including in game- what can we do.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, milo1111 said:

I’ve had a guts full of Mehmeti now. Offers absolutely f all for me. Cornick is ok coming on when we are defending a lead but he is woeful when we need a goal and a spark.

what a dreadful second half performance against a Southampton side who have good players but are underperforming due to their crap manager

Yeh reluctantly agree. I thought he would come good with a bit of time. Every time he gets the ball, you want him to do something meaningful but it never happens. Very frustrating player to watch and I doubt he's going to make it unfortunately 

• Like 1

Familiar story....have two clear chances in the first half and fail to capitalise.....then lose 1-0 due to a moment of individual brilliance / ruthlessness.

Played well first half....contained them. Went to crap post thier goal, unable to get the ball back and when we did gave it away cheaply. 

Onwards and upwards! COYRs!

Despite a disjointed second half performance we should of got something out of that game. For all of Southampton's possession they didn't create much and it took a near worldy to beat us. We paid the price for not taking our chances first half with TC the chief culprit and both Cornick and Mehmeti wasted good opportunities late in the game. Frustrating night again. 

• Like 2

If Tommy keeps getting into goal scoring positions the goals will come.  However, the hard truth is you can’t spurn the two chances he missed tonight and expect to win, or even draw, at places like St Mary’s.

That the squad lacks depth is obvious to everyone.  The owner needs to support his new coach in January, and in the summer, if real progress is to be made.

2 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Kinda difficult to post my opinions without being accused of having an agenda by those that do have an agenda. 

BUT that 2nd half was painful. Came out and conceded and we had no plan B. We had no plan at all. We went from being well coached to not being able to string two passes together. 

Really disappointed as the 1st half was a positive half .

I agree with your analysis of the game.

The only thing I would suggest is that if you're concerned that people will accuse you of having an agenda, maybe have a think about why that is.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

Remember when this is supposed to be a team capable of being at the top end of the Championship?

The quality just isn’t there. They run their bollocks off, just as they did for the previous manager, but the genuine consistent quality… it’s not there.

And, ultimately, also just like the previous manager Liam Manning won’t be able to fix that without signing better players.

Injuries? Could push us a bit further with less.

Had Conway taken that chance..

At least 3 decent chances in a very dominant half. We take one or two of those in what was some extremely impressive stuff, would have been an interesting finish. But we didn’t & 2nd half we looked exhausted! Saints managed the game well, but some encouraging play in first 45. 

Conceding so early 2nd half killed any momentum, we went back to where we were a couple of seasons back.
But that first half showed some real promise. The injury to Naismith meant we were even more unbalanced and although I would have started with Sykes on the left, he looked uncomfortable. 
Hopefully there will be more games like the first half as Manning gets his ideas over. The 2 halves were like chalk & cheese and when we were creating chances we didn't take them . TC's free header, 1 on 1 and Sykes chance we should have been ahead.  
We play like we did first half , on Sunday and I fancy us.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bas's perfect hattrick said:

Yeh reluctantly agree. I thought he would come good with a bit of time. Every time he gets the ball, you want him to do something meaningful but it never happens. Very frustrating player to watch and I doubt he's going to make it unfortunately 

He was decent on Saturday I thought.  

Good first half.

Second awful. Absolutely awful.

Bar doing well to keep it down to 1, that was the only positive - that was as devoid of ideas and quality a half of football from City I can remember for a while. Never looked like scoring. Barely get the ball at times. 

2 breaks ending in complete lack of composure and quality - and one penalty shout (seen them given, not by Keith f ing Stroud though)

Didn’t expect much from that game but that second half has left me very deflated - especially as for the first time with this squad there was a sense of tension between the players, little agro’s, a lot of frustration coming through IMO…maybe it was just the game but the morale didn’t seem quite right somehow…

• Like 1

Just now, Northern Red said:

I agree with your analysis of the game.

The only thing I would suggest is that if you're concerned that people will accuse you of having an agenda, maybe have a think about why that is.

Yes I have and I concluded its because they themselves have an agenda so therefore have to accuse others of the same. 

If anyone thinks anyone is happy to lose, they need to give their head a wobble. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Kinda difficult to post my opinions without being accused of having an agenda by those that do have an agenda. 

BUT that 2nd half was painful. Came out and conceded and we had no plan B. We had no plan at all. We went from being well coached to not being able to string two passes together. 

Really disappointed as the 1st half was a positive half .

Wow, have i read that right... i think we played pretty well tonight and after just 3 games i can already see what Manning wants us to do which after nearly 3 years i couldn't see under Nige.

We have just competed very well against a Prem team from last season who scored a worldie goal by an England international.

Yes, we were better in the first half but i thought we looked organised throughout and tried to pass the ball as much as we could.

We clearly need a couple of new attacking options but i am very optimistic with Mannings start.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

Totally agree, defensively feels about right but not enough quality in front 4. Needs 2 more decent players in those front 4 positions 

3 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Sykes pulled up a few mins before coming off. Looked like cramp but he could hardly move whatever it was. 

Tinnion will appoint himself head of medical before long. 

I thought these things were over now that Pearson and his clueless mob have left the club.

I bet they aint then, Jon.

Edited by AppyDAZE

Just now, Edgy Red said:

Wow, have i read that right... i think we played pretty well tonight and after just 3 games i can already see what Manning wants us to do which after nearly 3 years i couldn't see under Nige.

We have just competed very well against a Prem team from last season who scored a worldie goal by an England international.

Yes, we were better in the first half but i thought we looked organised throughout and tried to pass the ball as much as we could.

We clearly need a couple of new attacking options but i am very optimistic with Mannings start.

I'm sorry but that's not how I saw the game. 

1st half good and positive. Second half we were woeful. 1st half I could see what we were trying to do but after the goal we were clueless. Couldn't keep posession, couldn't string anything together. 

QPR we were woeful, first half V Boro it was dull. Second half we conceded 2 goals but thankfully had enough in us to get the win. 

• Like 1

I missed the 2nd half unfortunately, so can't comment on that. Everytime I see him play, his standard stuff is to get the ball, run directly into a defender and then lose the ball

He looked good.  The best I’d seen.  Definitely a player there for me still, hopefully Manning can get it out of him as his output so far has been below what we could’ve all expected.   

3 minutes ago, Edgy Red said:

Random question, but when does a player who played for England twice a while ago stop being an england international? I would imagine he isn't going to get any more caps for a good few years

Just now, W-S-M Seagull said:

1st half good and positive. Second half we were woeful. 1st half I could see what we were trying to do but after the goal we were clueless. Couldn't keep posession, couldn't string anything together. 

QPR we were woeful, first half V Boro it was dull. Second half we conceded 2 goals but thankfully had enough in us to get the win. 

Manning has had THREE games. Give him a chance and lets see how things pan out. If in 3 years time we are still an average Champ team then he will have done no better or worse than the previous manager

• Like 3

As we know, teams like Southampton and Leicester are bitches to play against when a goal down. Much the better side the second half, but did not create huge chances. Across the 90 arguably we created the better chances.

Need to find an attacking player who hits a bit of form.

2 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Body language doesn’t look great either.

I thought it was just me. He looks a little lost , but doesn't lack commitment as staying with City instead of going with the National side shows. Wonder if he's missing his BFF. 
The sooner he shakes himself out of it the better.  But for now, I'd be tempted to play Weimann instead . 3 excellent chances missed in 2 games , got away with it Saturday but it always comes back to bite you, missing those chances. 

• Like 1

Random question, but when does a player who played for England twice a while ago stop being an england international? I would imagine he isn't going to get any more caps for a good few years

How many players have we got who will ever play for the full England side. Walker-Peters is a very good player

Disappointed with some of the comments on here after such a good performance.

We all know we need reinforcements to move above mid table, and that we need more numbers - Nige recognised this, as clearly does LM too, with his references to a striker in January window, and the fact he only put 7 on the bench (perhaps that is the old Cotts messaging to the owners re numbers).

I am more than content with tonight 

CTID

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Edgy Red said:

Manning has had THREE games. Give him a chance and lets see how things pan out. If in 3 years time we are still an average Champ team then he will have done no better or worse than the previous manager

That’s not true though is it?  
He’s been given the platform to perform here - and top 6 is expected this season and with these players.  Maybe he will do it.  Too early to tell so far.   But you cannot give him the same target as NP. We’ve been categorically told that’s not the case.   

• Like 3

The writing has been on the wall and the goals for column, Cornick was never going to be the answer, Tommy is all over the shop and needs Wells back, we are strong at the back, no one have dicked us thus far but how the Hell a City side has powder puff strikers that in previous years at least we had a goal scorer....even more frustrating when we have a solid defence and should be winning these games. 

What a cluster **** of a way to run a club? A succession of inept owners going back to '76, we have at long last netted a good young coach, of that I am sure, but he needs support financially the squad is bereft of quality and needs probably four good players however I won't hold my breath that he will be given the funds.

Edited by cotswoldred2
  • Like 1
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Disappointed with some of the comments on here after such a good performance.

We all know we need reinforcements to move above mid table, and that we need more numbers - Nige recognised this, as clearly does LM too, with his references to a striker in January window, and the fact he only put 7 on the bench (perhaps that is the old Cotts messaging to the owners re numbers).

I am more than content with tonight 

CTID

Blimey your easily  pleased 

10 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Maybe it would seem a little better if you used some of the excuses you used to use under Nige:

We've got loads of injuries

Can't even name a full bench

Haven't spent any of the Scott money on new players

Squad too small

Opposition have parachute payments

Opposition have former England players

We're playing a bunch of kids 

No CEO

Board is incompetent 

Etc

Manning is still working under all of the above constraints.

Hope this helps. 

Edited by Kid in the Riot
  • Like 8
  • Confused 1
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Listening to BBC Radio Bristol, my stream was up and down but could/we should have had a penalty??

I didn't see one. If there was, it would have been for handball, but I saw nothing.

What I did see was City wasteful in the final third, same old thing I'm afraid.

Overall, i didn't think we did that badly, and I'm certainly onboard for Manning now.

Pissed right off about Nigel, but you have to move on.

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Like 2

Great 1st half but missed chances cost us, reading saints forum, all thought we should be winning.

James stood off a bit for the goal, but Great strike.

Seem to forget the pasing and retain possession instructions 2nd half and went back to hitting aimless balls forward and gifting the ball back 

Overall encouraging performance against a ex prem parachute payments team

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I thought it was just me. He looks a little lost , but doesn't lack commitment as staying with City instead of going with the National side shows. Wonder if he's missing his BFF. 
The sooner he shakes himself out of it the better.  But for now, I'd be tempted to play Weimann instead . 3 excellent chances missed in 2 games , got away with it Saturday but it always comes back to bite you, missing those chances. 

I think he massively misses Nakki up front with him

• Like 2

Just now, lenred said:

That’s not true though is it?  
He’s been given the platform to perform here - and top 6 is expected this season and with these players.  Maybe he will do it.  Too early to tell so far.   But you cannot give him the same target as NP. We’ve been categorically told that’s not the case.   

Top 6 with these players😂😂😂. All that statement does is put it in block capitals how ******* stupid Snakey and Crayon Whisperer are………..

Whenever we play a good side at the level it’s a narrow defeat with little goal threat…..facts that is. The way we go about it might change, the result doesn’t. We ain’t good enough.

• Like 3