IGNORED

Name a worse city game than that…

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We had a dejavu the following year, 3-0 loss at home v Ipswich but the Millwall game had a lot of hope and anticipation iirc which made it all the worse..

So much anticipation that season, signed the England keeper, Coppell in charge…seemed a formality that we’d be challenging for promotion but Millwall brought us right back down to Earth.

Think Sam Vokes got taken off injured and never saw him again (scored against the slags today I notice).

There was a rumour posted on here after the game that a Millwall fan had been killed and it turned out in the end that all that happened was fighting near the Pump House in Hotwells.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Millwall.

Coppells first league game in charge.

Another stinker I had to misfortune to catch. 2-5 vs SO’D’s Doncaster and 0-6 vs Cardiff are other notable lowlights 😁

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

I think we can count ourselves lucky that the 2020-21 season was played behind closed doors. Surely one of our 13 home defeats would have featured in this list, but I doubt many of us can remember much about those games from Robins TV. What a truly miserable season that was.

The home game against Millwall that season made our performance today look like that of a title winning side.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Manning has been winning me round in recent weeks, which is natural given the results. Still find the football a bit boring, but everyone will have their own opinion.

So this isn’t a dig at him, but can you name a worse city game than what we witnessed today? Everything from performance to atmosphere and even the weather was just completely not there today. It has to be the one of, if it the worse, days at football for a long long time.

Considering the league that we are in, the playing staff and recent performances, I consider this match is one of the worst that I've seen in decades.

Tiredness due to a high number of games in a very short time?  Nonsense because all clubs have the same number of matches. Long distance travelling? Nowhere near the trips to the north.

Utterly terrible performance. Absolutely pathetic attacking. Defensive clangers yet again.

To sum it up, the negative performance of one player who shall be unnamed, highlights how weak we are at playing passes forward through the central territory.

Add to this match, the pathetic Bears performance last Friday, and the inept one today, what a waste of time following City and Bears.

• Hmmm 1

12 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

7?

Chopra scored a hat trick. Our manager at the time tried to trip Chopra up as he ran past the dug outs in celebration. Luckily for all concerned our manager only had short legs…….a local photographer actually caught the moment.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

3-3 2018?

Going 3 up and a strong first half outs it a bit ahead of this IMO..less said the better lost HT. One, maybe two own goals. Diony for Reid was a strategic error.

Yes, your memory is better than mine! 

18 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

The home game against Millwall that season made our performance today look like that of a title winning side.

Barnsley was pretty special too.

Think that was the game after Holden had been sacked & Paul Simpson came out afterwards & basically admitted it was as bad as he’d seen & Kalas gave an interview where he said we had to defend all game because we kept giving the ball back to the opposition.

There were loads that pandemic season that were pitiful.

• Like 3

I always remember Lennartson's first game in charge at home to Wolves.

Went 1-0 up through Hutchings, before going on to lose 6-1. All the players looked lost, without a clue what they were supposed to be doing.

A season that had started with such optimism after the promotion, went disasterously wrong and we ended up going straight back down. 

Awful times, when you consider our ambition (Akinbiyi, Thorpe and Anderson signings).

1 minute ago, NcnsBcfc said:

I always remember Lennartson's first game in charge at home to Wolves.

Went 1-0 up through Hutchings, before going on to lose 6-1. All the players looked lost, without a clue what they were supposed to be doing.

A season that had started with such optimism after the promotion, went disasterously wrong and we ended up going straight back down. 

Awful times, when you consider our ambition (Akinbiyi, Thorpe and Anderson signings).

That was Benny's first home game.

His first actual game we lost 5-0 at Bradford.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

When memorably the coach got lost on the way to the game.

There’s definitely a metaphor there, though I actually liked Benny & don’t think for a minute he expected to be Head Coach, but there was some seriously confused thinking going on from the outset that season.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

We were promoted with Watford, and we spent millions in the summer on those signings.

We finished bottom of the table.

Watford spent £300k, finished second, and were promoted to the Prem. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

@Mr Popodopolous

Apologies that's what I meant to say in the opening paragraph. First home game in charge.

Forgot about the Bradford game beforehand. Yes 11 goals conceded in 2 games. 

1 hour ago, kit said:

I also remeber a couple of back to back beatings under Wilson, maybe colchester and Bournemouth, 4 nils or similar, I also remember a big loss at peterborough in the same season.

Blackpool away where we needed to win to make the play offs and promptly got spanked by 5 or so.

The more I think about it wilson did serve up some absolute garbage at times that was way worse than today as bad as it was.

Our resident know-it-all won’t agree with that

2 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

We were promoted with Watford, and we spent millions in the summer on those signings.

Awful wasn't it.

Actually felt sorry for Scott Davidson. He started the season with real ambition at least.

When Ward walked, it all went downhill. 

Just now, Kid in the Riot said:

There’s ambition & there’s complete confusion.

We paid a million on Thorpe, a third division striker that we didn’t remotely need (we already had Akinbiyi, Andersen, Cramb & Torpey).

Our only defensive acquisition was Julian Watts, a terrible CB who made Jamie McCombe look like Franco Baresi on the ball.

John Ward’s idea of a Championship midfield was to pair Matt Hewlett with Carl Hutchings a third division defender who ran around a lot to no effect trying to control the ball, he made Carlton Palmer look like Glenn Hoddle.

Ward never managed at Championship level again after we sacked him (can’t think why).

Lennartsson who expected to be Director of Football then was asked to become Head Coach & added a random assortment of foreign players seemingly without a plan, Bo Anderson was the shortest Dane I have ever seen, unfortunately he was a goalkeeper, Vilmos Sebok was good on the ball but seemed not to like defending, unfortunately we played him at CB (he was sweeper for Hungary) & Testimitanu who was the only one with any guts, got badly injured soon after signing.

A absolute shambles of a season where we finished 24th, the season after going up neck & neck with Watford.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ZiderEyed said:

3-0 at home to Sheffield Wednesday or Millwall, can’t recall which, only that it was David James’ first game for the club. Direeeeee.

Millwall. I remember it well

Last word on the game tonight (as it was rubbish). Why does LM always do the same subs in essence.

Wells/Cornick or Conway or vice versa. Bell for Mehmeti or vice versa. Williams/James/TGH rotating. We never seem to change the formation up top. Conway is not a line leader. But maybe play Wells alongside him for once, do something different.

I know we've gone to a back 5 at times recently (Bell at Rwb). But jees, 30 goals on 26 games (take away the 7 of Hull & Watford and that's 23 in 25 games). We have to do things differently at times. All for the players being "brave", but that applies to the management as well.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

There’s ambition & there’s complete confusion.

We paid a million on Thorpe, a third division striker that we didn’t remotely need (we already had Akinbiyi, Andersen, Cramb & Torpey).

Our only defensive acquisition was Julian Watts, a terrible CB who made Jamie McCombe look like Franco Baresi on the ball.

John Ward’s idea of a Championship midfield was to pair Matt Hewlett with Carl Hutchings a third division defender who ran around a lot to no effect trying to control the ball, he made Carlton Palmer look like Glenn Hoddle.

Ward never managed at Championship level again after we sacked him (can’t think why).

Lennartsson who expected to be Director of Football then was asked to become Head Coach & added a random assortment of foreign players seemingly without a plan, Bo Anderson was the shortest Dane I have ever seen, unfortunately he was a goalkeeper, Vilmos Sebok was good on the ball but seemed not to like defending, unfortunately we played him at CB (he was sweeper for Hungary) & Testimitanu who was the only one with any guts, got badly injured soon after signing.

A absolute shambles of a season where we finished 24th, the season after going up neck & neck with Watford.

Yep. Bit of a sliding doors moment with Watford who went on to enjoy plenty of Prem football and cup finals over the next 20 years, whilst we have pissed around in L1 / Championship. Bearing in mind they don't really have more resources than us, and their ownership is generally considered batshit. 

Similar to the 2004 play off final with Brighton too. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Last word on the game tonight (as it was rubbish). Why does LM always do the same subs in essence.

Wells/Cornick or Conway or vice versa. Bell for Mehmeti or vice versa. Williams/James/TGH rotating. We never seem to change the formation up top. Conway is not a line leader. But maybe play Wells alongside him for once, do something different.

I know we've gone to a back 5 at times recently (Bell at Rwb). But jees, 30 goals on 26 games (take away the 7 of Hull & Watford and that's 23 in 25 games). We have to do things differently at times. All for the players being "brave", but that applies to the management as well.

Suppose he would argue he basically only has 15 players.

Clearly not having Cornick (didn’t get on at Brum, only did so today because Sykes was injured).

Effectively means it is 2 from 3 of Williams, James, TGH.

Wells or Conway & then one of Weimann, Bell or Mehmeti (he’s sticking with the latter).

Look at the rest of the subs Knight-Lebel (appeared once in 17) Nelson (never come on), King 35 & no way is he on the bench in February unless we have injuries. Bajic.

His options are limited, no idea where Yeboah was today but he’s raw & incredibly erratic & I’m not sure Manning (who has only brought him on once) thinks he’s anywhere near ready.

You would have to think a couple of returners & 2 signings will see a different bench by the end of the month.

Just now, Kid in the Riot said:

Yep. Bit of a sliding doors moment with Watford who went on to enjoy plenty of Prem football and cup finals over the next 20 years, whilst we have pissed around in L1 / Championship. Bearing in mind they don't really have more resources than us, and their ownership is generally considered batshit. 

Think this predated the Italians, still Elton wasn’t it?

• Like 1

Dosen't have to be a 4/0 hammering to be disappointing.

Can remember a News year Eve when i talked a load of lads to come up to the City from South Devon for the New years day game.

About 4 car loads of us came up ,it was in the third tier late 90s.

Cant even remember who we played but we were in the Atyeo  and it was a ****** boring 0/0 .

As you can imagine the stick i got on the way back was off the scale.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

We must be the only side in the country getting 22,000 fans in every other week yet not played in the Premier League

• Hmmm 1

Title says name any worse game than that 

Any time we lost to the gas ( remember them ) to all you younger city fans yes there was a time when they had the upper hand , Devon white , penrice , Holloway years ( bastards ) 3-0 at twerton ffs 

1 hour ago, pongo88 said:

When I watched it live, I thought it was all Williams and could be even in trouble after the game if they review it, but watching again it looks like Williams just carries on going with the player up to the barrier, but the Millwall players tries to kick joe and that's when he kicks off

22 minutes ago, luke_bristol said:

We must be the only side in the country getting 22,000 fans in every other week yet not played in the Premier League

Depends on timeframe, depends on how long, depends on attendances at time of non promotion- bit of a broad brush but know what you mean though.

Anyone remember Wolves beating us 0-5 at AG? - Tony Fawthrop was in charge and played a diamond in midfield which Wolves just ran thru………that was another embarrassing performance………:facepalm:

• Facepalm 1

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Anyone remember Wolves beating us 0-5 at AG? - Tony Fawthrop was in charge and played a diamond in midfield which Wolves just ran thru………that was another embarrassing performance………:facepalm:

Tony Fawthrop literally never managed a game against Wolves, so no, I don’t remember that champ.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Yep. Bit of a sliding doors moment with Watford who went on to enjoy plenty of Prem football and cup finals over the next 20 years

What ‘plenty’ cup finals are you highlighting here for Watford FC in the 20 year period from 1998 to 2018?

10 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Are you sure you don’t mean the 1-6 Wolves debacle under Benny?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Are you sure you don’t mean the 1-6 Wolves debacle under Benny?

Could be - it was around 30 years ago. 1993/4 iirc.

I struggle to remember individual seasons so I’m guessing a bit. 

• Like 1

Quite a few home games under LJ were a carbon copy of the Millwall game. (Usually Preston home matches). 

Losing 2-0 at home to Charlton on a Sunday in late 2012 I can recall also being truly terrible, along with the 6-0 vs Cardiff and many many other home matches between 2010 - 2013 in particular.

7 hours ago, Robbored said:

Could be - it was around 30 years ago. 1993/4 iirc.

I struggle to remember individual seasons so I’m guessing a bit. 

1994/95 we lost 5-1 at home to Wolves under Russell Osman.

• Thanks 1

Think a few of you misunderstood the question. I was saying it was the worse performance in a while, that clearly wasn’t the case. I was saying it was the worse all round experience for a long time.

Even some of the games mentioned, 6-0 home loss to Cardiff for example, at least there was an atmosphere, albeit hostile. People showed they cared.

Yesterday there was nothing, absolutely nothing. Performance was shocking, the atmosphere was nonexistent. I don’t remember one chant being sung. It was a chore for everyone that was there, players included.

If you had gone down for the first time ever yesterday, I don’t you’d be in any rush to return at any point!

• Thanks 1

it may not have been the worst game, but it's the first time since the Lincoln game that I have walked out of AG actually shocked at what I have just witnessed. At least against Lincoln we scored, won the second half iirc, and Semenyo missed a couple of 'sitters' from inside the 6 yard box that may have changed the course of the game. Yesterday there was absolutely nothing. 

If anyone here has seen a worse performance than the first ten minutes of the Swindon game under ward id be amazed, pretty sure we were three down by then, second half we should have won! Recall going to Torquay and getting a embarrassing chasing, think we were 3 1 down and one point and got a very lucky draw

37 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Think a few of you misunderstood the question. I was saying it was the worse performance in a while, that clearly wasn’t the case. I was saying it was the worse all round experience for a long time.

Even some of the games mentioned, 6-0 home loss to Cardiff for example, at least there was an atmosphere, albeit hostile. People showed they cared.

Yesterday there was nothing, absolutely nothing. Performance was shocking, the atmosphere was nonexistent. I don’t remember one chant being sung. It was a chore for everyone that was there, players included.

If you had gone down for the first time ever yesterday, I don’t you’d be in any rush to return at any point!

I joined in with several chants, S82 did try. 

What a question! I mean, finding examples of great success are pretty hard to find, but on the other end of the scale, crap rubbish has been our speciality. Surprisingly so these last 2 decades when we have had "unprecedented backing" by a multi-billionaire. 

34 minutes ago, TV Tom said:

I give you watching us let in 7 at Northampton in the early '80s, travelling up to Tranmere on a Friday night in '89 to watch us lose 6-0 and every game against Rovers in the 1980's

I don't think *every* game against them though. Not "One nil down, two-one up, we knocked Rovers out the cup". There may have been others.

1 hour ago, formerly known as ivan said:

I raise you a cold wet New Year’s Day against Reading, a few years ago under Lee Johnson. Zero atmosphere, everybody hung over and downbeat after a poor run. Our only game plan was to stifle Reading, and it totally killed the game as a spectacle but a fortunate penalty and scrappy Tammy goal somehow saw us 2-0 up.

Despite the score line, it was clear that nobody believed in us and expected us to throw it away. As soon as they scored their first, everyone was resigned to defeat which happened in the most spineless gutless fashion to lose 3-2. Awful. I took a friend, he hated it. I’d never felt so close to packing in football as I did that day. Perhaps not the dullest game or most inept performance ever but certainly the worst experience overall, especially given that I really can’t stand Reading.

Edited by Wanderingred
  • Like 1

Not only was yesterday a bad game, but I didn't even manage to get my West Ham away tickets because I didn't fancy waiting another hour in the rain to get them 😂 Rounded off a poor day at City.

I think the fact that people going for a piss got me off my seat far more than anything on the pitch says it all.  As does the fact that it took us 96 minutes to show any sort of fight, and that was a scuffle off the pitch!

Yesterday was an utter disgrace. Williams and to a much lesser extent Pring the only ones who came out of that match with any credit at all.  I agree with the OP - I don't recall a duller afternoon watching City.  Yes, we've had worse results, but even in most of those we've had flashes of entertainment.  Yesterday there was nothing. The only game that sticks out to me was a 3-1(?) home defeat to QPR.  Only the second (and the last) match I've walked out early from.  I took the view then that if City couldn't be bothered to try I couldn't be bothered to stay, but even then we had something to cheer when we took the lead in that one.  If my boy had wanted to leave early yesterday I wouldn't have put up a fight.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

I raise you a cold wet New Year’s Day against Reading, a few years ago under Lee Johnson. Zero atmosphere, everybody hung over and downbeat after a poor run. Our only game plan was to stifle Reading, and it totally killed the game as a spectacle but a fortunate penalty and scrappy Tammy goal somehow saw us 2-0 up.

Despite the score line, it was clear that nobody believed in us and expected us to throw it away. As soon as they scored their first, everyone was resigned to defeat which happened in the most spineless gutless fashion to lose 3-2. Awful. I took a friend, he hated it. I’d never felt so close to packing in football as I did that day. Perhaps not the dullest game or most inept performance ever but certainly the worst experience overall, especially given that I really can’t stand Reading.

Liam “effing” Kelly….what is it with the name Kelly!

1 hour ago, Sleepy1968 said:

I don't think *every* game against them though. Not "One nil down, two-one up, we knocked Rovers out the cup". There may have been others.

It was a figure of speech, of course that cup win there was very special but i think we paid for that for the rest of the decade !!!

I don't even think that yesterday was the worst in Mannings run , I'd say 3rd.

QPR was awful , Birmingham just as bad , but yesterday I thought we were ok for the first 45 and their keeper had to make a save , so there's that.

3 games , 3 shots on target and virtually no excitement , though TBH I'm not massively surprised though I am disappointed. They are trying to move to possession based football and I think we sometimes become risk adverse . Several times a ball is on but it could mean we may lose the ball, Pring apologised a couple of times as he spotted a run but didn't play the ball. I'm hoping as they settle into the way Manning wants us to play, we will spot and feed those runs.
But as we progress, and until we either add players or learn how to play with more threat I think we could get these games. Add that Championship learn quickly, so more teams will set up the same as Birmingham did. 
Next step for LM is to find a way to win as we are or be able to change things in game.

1 hour ago, johnbytheriver said:

I am prepared to put it down to fatigue,most players had nothing left in their legs,after 4 games in such a short space of time, nowhere near the worst  game and we still passed the ball around well at times.

Passed it around  sideways & backwards. 

1 hour ago, TV Tom said:

It was a figure of speech, of course that cup win there was very special but i think we paid for that for the rest of the decade !!!

We certainly did with *that* new years day game at Ashton Gate. Same score as yesterday, but still more peed off about it than I could ever be about yesterday!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Wanderingred said:

Yeah 2-0 up with 20 to go you’d usually be confident of at least a point but during that run of defeats it just felt like we were going to lose every game.

Around the 70th minute I put money on Reading to win as insurance, I thought that if these useless bastards are going to throw it away my kids might as well have a nice holiday somewhere sunny.

My kids were begging to leave it was that bad. Such a disgraceful performance and Manning and his players need to understand the impact that sort of pathetic display has on people. No excuse for it, can handle losing like v Norwich where we were decent in spells, but yesterday was a shocking performance all around. Poor. 

Just thought I'd provide a little balance with regards to the City vs Rovers comments.

For perspective, in the 1980's we were unbeaten in 11 matches, compared to Rovers being unbeaten in 15 matches. 

However, moving into the more recent 1990's, City were unbeaten in 12 matches, compared to Rovers being unbeaten in 9 matches.

We did however win MORE matches against Rovers in the 1990's compared to how many times they beat us in the 1980's

image.thumb.png.2ef43537e20955674fb9f14fff874dd5.png

There have been hundreds of worse games. But walking back in the soaking rain on the first day of a year I'm not particularly relishing did make it seem more miserable than most. Late goals always sicken you more than if we'd conceded in the first half - but you drop the same points either way. 

To add to the gloom most of the boozers I frequent were closed. Had to stop in the Temple Inn to get some consolation pints.