IGNORED

Preston North End away match thread

Jerseybean

First half we played well, but failed to convert.

Second half Manning was out thought by Lowe and we were dire and a distant second best. The defensive errors of 2 years ago are back to haunt us. 

Hard to fathom, you look at the Watford game and second half against WHU and then  how they contrast with the rubbish of the last 3 league games. 

• Like 1

Just now, The Original OTIB said:

Pretty obvious, Lowe went for it, attacking subs, changed shape and intent, forced us back and into errors early 2nd half, no significant response or subs. Eventually went to 3 at back, gave extra space for 2nd.

Exactly this. It must have been clear to Lowe that we weren't doing much up front and he could go more direct and attack without trying to sit too deep and defend. They played with less fear in the second half and that was that.

• Like 1

TGH has to do better with that early chance (different game then) but it was a truly awful second half performance. No agression. Too many basic errors. No idea how we were trying to score. We couldn’t cope with a poor pitch and stubborn oppo whose changes at ht helped them grab the initiative.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Personally, I'd rather start Weimann than Bell.

This isn't about Pearson though, more that Mehmeti seems to get a disproportionate amount of criticism compared to other poorer performers. Anis has put in some very good performances since Manning has come in.

One good performance. And reverted to type in all his other games.

• Like 1

Before half the forum implodes, City aren't a bad team, just one that needs a central goal-scoring striker and a creative midfielder to maximise our good approach play. 

Yes, we fell away in the second half, but you invite pressure when you fail to score and that's 3 games now.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Jose said:

Id be surprised if we failed to score in three successive games against the shit opposition we have just played but feel free to prove me wrong. 

I don't know I just remember rubbish under Pearson as well. Certainly very poor today.

23 minutes ago, Alan Dicks said:

We’re 14th in the table, where were we the day we sacked Nige????

we had 18 points from 14 games. Manning I think is 15 from 11. But having failed to score for 3 league games in a row, especially given that it includes Rooney's Birmingham and this lot, I for one feel less optimistic than I did on 28 Oct.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, The Original OTIB said:

Pretty obvious, Lowe went for it, attacking subs, changed shape and intent, forced us back and into errors early 2nd half, no significant response or subs. Eventually went to 3 at back, gave extra space for 2nd.

I can see why he went three at the back . To get two up top as we’re chasing the game. . They were always going to come out stronger but the players need to deal with it. Through all prestons effort , they created nothing . We’ve gifted two very basic , school boy goals. That’s nothing to do with tactics that’s down to players making poor decisions AGAIN 

• Like 2

Just now, Andrew_V1 said:

How very Bristol city constantly being charitable to end other clubs crap runs .

The height of our ambition is mediocrity at this level

I am not at all sure after last three championship games we are even mediocre

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, steviestevieneville said:

I can see why he went three at the back . To get two up top as we’re chasing the game. . They were always going to come out stronger but the players need to deal with it. Through all prestons effort , they created nothing . We’ve gifted two very basic , school boy goals. That’s nothing to do with tactics that’s down to players making poor decisions AGAIN 

Errors merely compounded the lack of response. Good foundation first half, out thought for 2nd.

It feels like we’re reaching new season lows in recent weeks, despite players coming back from injury, which is worrying. 

Really disappointing. If they want this front foot/controlling football, they had better spend some money because this lot are simply not capable of it - which is probably why NP was happy for us not to have the ball!!!!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Can someone please explain the logic of two subs coming on in 89th minute when we are 2-0 down and don’t look like scoring if we played another 90 minutes?

To add an appearance to their season's stats. Sometimes contracts and/or bonuses can be tied to appearances. 

Expect us to play well against Watford next week and probably get a good result, they are the sort of team we should do ok against.

Against these lower midtable teams Pearson would try to open up the game and get them on the counter. Manning is trying to implement a more possession style without any sign of the correct players to achieve it.

Hence its so true that Lansdown and Tinnion threw our season away both in August with no AM and when sacking Pearson

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

One good performance. And reverted to type in all his other games.

No, multiple good performances. Much more than can be said for Bell, who has barely had a positive or useful touch of the football for us in months.

With Sykes injured, Mehmeti is currently the best option we have out wide - like it or loathe it. Yes, it's frustrating that he gives the ball away at times, but that's the nature of having a player of his style who tries to make things happen. If it came off every time he tried something, then he'd be playing for Real Madrid. 

The strange agenda that some of our fans appear to have against Mehmeti is frankly laughable.

Edited by Supersonic Robin
  • Like 2

That was truly terrible. The players look knackered and unfortunately we have no    squad depth. We really lack physicality all over the pitch. We need to recruit strength and pace, even if it’s just an option for us to play against sides like Preston and Birmingham.

There is no plan B at all, if I’m an opposing manager, I really don’t have to do much research to understand how we might play or how to set up against us. It’s not like I would even have to tell my players that city might change formation, because we only have one.

We also really lack gamesmanship, we don’t push or try and buy free kicks. We are never in the refs face, we just accept poor decisions and allow ourselves to get bullied. We have to learn to give as good as we get against physical teams. It’s just naive football. We see lots of effort and and work from the lads, but we need grit and fight and a win by any means attitude. 

West Ham, like previous cup runs, is just a distraction at a time we don’t need it. I wish we had the depth for a manager to be able to say, if you don’t perform in the league against Preston, you won’t have the privilege of testing yourself against Premier League opposition. Maybe that way, there would have been a little more reason to put in a good performance today. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, Supersonic Robin said:

No, multiple good performances. Much more than can be said for Bell, who has barely had a positive or useful touch of the football for us in months.

With Sykes injured, Mehmeti is currently the best option we have out wide - like it or loathe it. Yes, it's frustrating that he gives the ball away at times, but that's the nature of having a player of his style who tries to make things happen. If it came off every time he tried something, then he'd be playing for Real Madrid. 

But don't let that stop the strange agenda that you and some other fans appear to have against Mehmeti.

At this moment in time bell is simply not good enough, one of the commentators on robins tv was banging on about his lightning pace, can’t remember the last time he used it .

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Supersonic Robin said:

But don't let that stop the strange agenda that you and some other fans appear to have against Mehmeti.

It’s no agenda, he’s just not a Championship player, arguably yet, but not now. You might as well replace him with Yeboah, at least he’d scare people with pace, rather than a couple of step overs and the predictable cut inside.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

Before half the forum implodes, City aren't a bad team, just one that needs a central goal-scoring striker and a creative midfielder to maximise our good approach play. 

Yes, we fell away in the second half, but you invite pressure when you fail to score and that's 3 games now.

Have you actually watched the last 3 league games, plus Blackburn and Huddersfield away. We have looked a very very poor side.

We have a goal scorer. Creativity required from wide areas needed as much as through the middle.

• Like 2

That second half was very poor. Didn’t have any idea what to do to break them down. We just haven’t got the players that are anywhere near consistent enough. The frontline looked so naive and inexperienced. Okay, they’re decent enough individually on their but together far too light weight. Conway is a good young finisher, but he’s no way a lone striker at this stage of his career. 

After watching Coventry move the ball around (albeit against a 10 man Leicester) to break a team down, we look a mile behind them.

Top ten will be an achievement for us this season. Wouldn’t panic now about signings this window. Assess squad, then spend in summer. We need at least 4 first team starters then. Nowhere near consistent enough. On a good day (Watford, Swansea away, WHU) we look decent. On a bad day we look pretty toothless and clueless, so mid table mediocrity is where we are.  

Call out to Joe Williams. Kept going, need his attitude throughout the team. Probably on good wages still so can see him getting a chance at a decent Championship team with money if we cant keep him at the end of the season.

What’s the betting we go and beat West Ham now!!!

• Like 4
  • Flames 2

11 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

Yes. But you forgot to mention a decent keeper. What’s he doing on the edge of his box all the time. His fault for the second and should have been lobbed in the first half!

• Like 1

Preferred the high press identity under Nige. Even if we weren't the best on the ball and it was scrappy, at least we were going at teams and fighting for every ball. 

Now it's just recycling the ball if "the opportunity" doesn't open up. And we've sacrificed what made us a dangerous team earlier in the season to do so. 

Same old City, so flat against teams who don't leave gaps. Just hasn't felt fun to watch under Manning so far for me personally. Feels like the personality has been sucked out of the team. Trying to be something we're not.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 4

First half we continued to frustrate ourselves when the game's there for the taking.

Second half we were all over rhe shop and tactically a shambles.

Looked jaded as the game went on. We need a couple of First team ready players ASAP.

4 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

The strange agenda that some of our fans appear to have against Mehmeti is frankly laughable.

Agree, at least Mehmeti got involved in the game, even if some of his play was poor. Bell was just not in the game, although not helped by Tanner's negative play.

• Like 1

Just now, Sir Geoff said:

Have you actually watched the last 3 league games, plus Blackburn and Huddersfield away. We have looked a very very poor side.

We have a goal scorer. Creativity required from wide areas needed as much as through the middle.

Agreed, the odd bright spark has hidden the insipid performances. 

Just now, Sir Geoff said:

Yes, I shop at Specsavers.

We need a striker that can play with his back to goal and an attacking midfielder, and our fortunes may change.

We haven't looked a poor side, just one that keeps missing chances when on top.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Alan Dicks said:

The bloke is well out of his league in the championship.

Guardiola couldnt have prevented the Max debacle tbf although Manning does so far seem unable to respond to other managers tactical changes.

Hes here for a while so hopefully he grows into it.

Just now, Son of Fred said:

I'm sticking with my gut feeling - Manning will be gone before the year's out.

Can't see that at all.

Do think LM needs to carry the can for today's result after failing to react to the changes PNE made at HT. They were well on top from the restart and I'd say it was obvious we needed to make changes way before the clanger that gave them their first goal, he seemed to have no idea on how to change it, so did nothing until it was too late.

13 minutes ago, Whitchurch said:

Behaviours 

Well, its time they started to behave themselves.

Deserved score line for both teams. PNE by far the better team in the 2nd half after we dominated most of the first half (but not really laying a glove on them). 

Their early subs made all the difference, our very late subs had little impact.

PNE's first home game this season without conceding says it all really.

Unfortunately, with a couple of exceptions, that was a typical performance. 

Very disappointing.

14 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

You think our two wide players are at the desired standard?

I know both are young but far to lightweight for me and rarely make chances for others.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, j1974 said:

Our front line needs a complete overhaul. 

Bell, Mehmeti and Cornick not good enough. Conway not ready to be a regular starter. 

Wells Aging. 

How much money do we have???? 

Think that's harsh on Conway.

He's avergaing a goal every 170 mins this season. Not bad at all, especially for a 21 year old striker. I reckon a number of other Championship teams would be perfectly happy to have him in their starting XI.

• Like 2

If this doesn't give our recruitment plans an almighty kick up the ass I don't know what will 3 games 0 goals we Just can't score 😤  people will start saying manning this manning that the guy hasn't got one single player that's his :laugh: we have a sub par squad look at the state of our subs to change the game king and cornick :laugh: bell conway mehmeti not good enough midfield average we are where we are because of the lack of quality its now up to the board to back there man and get some quality in through recruitment 

Edited by BCFC31
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, 22A said:

Preston are something of a bogey team for us. I vaguely remember winning at Deepdale some years ago but struggle to remember the last time we beat them at AG.

Im sure someone on here will know.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1