IGNORED

City are live on national television this Tuesday - its cliché time!

Curr Avon

Choose your own tired clichés that'll be trotted out endlessly by BBC commentators, when our backwater team address the populace against West Ham.

I'll start with...

They've only spent 2 periods in the top division in their entire history!

15 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

Choose your own tired clichés that'll be trotted out endlessly by BBC commentators, when our backwater team address the populace against West Ham.

I'll start with...

They've only spent 2 periods in the top division in their entire history!

That's one more than Arsenal.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

...versus Manning, who once worked at West Ham.

…and was instrumental in the development of Declan Rice

(note: DR has mentioned LM once that I can trace, in amongst numerous coaches on his goodbye statement to West Ham. However it seems to be a regular fixture on LMs profiles)

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, patchway ciderred said:

Arsenal were relegated in 1913 and dubiously elected to the First Division after WW1 when the divisions were reconstituted 

Thanks. The story I heard was they got elected to first division over Spurs, who'd finished above them, and have been there ever since. I didn't appreciate they'd been relegated previously :)

Just now, Open End Numb Legs said:

'.....and the roof has just come off at Ashton Gate...'

Well, we can hope.

Not sure this team is as good yet as that one was.

Agreed, not likely to happen. At the mem mind, anything over a breeze on Wednesday ...

• Haha 2

It’s a city and club with facilities that surely deserves to have premiership football…. And I’ll have a couple of quid on a least one reference to Hull and Dean Windass.

I’ll take any cliche so long as they don’t use “plucky” in front of our name, more patronising than anything else.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Sleepy1968 said:

That's one more than Arsenal.

No; Arsenal had been in the top flight and relegated. They got back up  after WW1 since when they've not been relegated.

36 minutes ago, Sir Colby-Tit said:

Dunno how to do multi quote, but why do so many posters use the term Premiership, when referring to the Premier League?

I think we all know what they mean, which is the main thing.

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, REDOXO said:

Jonathan Pierce once told me he didn’t do City games. I’m hoping he’s doing the commentary for the US audience! 

In the past he’s said he wouldn’t do City if they got to the Premier League but may consider doing an FA cup tie.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Not just posters, you hear players, managers and pundits call it that too. 

It was the Premiership until 2007, wasn't it?

Changed in 2001 I believe, changed from Carling Premiership to Barclays Premier League.

(Jonathan Pearce. Not a cliche, but probably true)

When my team Bristol City last beat West Ham on 11th February 1978 at Upton Park, with goals from Joe Royle and Jimmy Mann, I was at the game with my Dad filming the action.

• Like 3

" Welcome to the home of "Front Foot Football."

We'll be meeting Chairman Jon Lansdown whose colourful sketches art connoisseurs have considered to be as good as those of primary school children.

And a bit later we'll be talking to football supremo Brian Tinnion, about the way he sneakily attained a position way above his level of competence, and his latest controversial publication "Oven-Ready Top Six Squad."

But let's begin by asking self-professed billionaire, don't care, Steve Lansdown, this question

"Mr Lansdown, can you tell the viewers how you have managed to foster such a close bond and relationship with the club's incredible supporters, and the way that your much-heralded communications strategy has led to such unprecedented levels of trust, openness and transparency"

"But before you, the sprog or Bunion say anything. let's welcome our surprise special guest into the studio . . . .

a man much-loved and admired by fans of this club . . .

your friend and mine,

Mr Nigel Pearson !"

• Haha 2
  • Robin 1

On 14/01/2024 at 12:46, Sir Colby-Tit said:

Dunno how to do multi quote, but why do so many posters use the term Premiership, when referring to the Premier League?

I bet you're the sort of person who still refers to "assistant referees" because they told you to say that.

“The Lansdowns are hugely popular figures here at Ashton Gate for all they’ve done for the club, with the development of first class facilities and stadium and for establishing them as a second tier outfit. Before they arrived the fans had been mostly served third and fourth rate football since 1980. Some of manager and administrative recruitment hasn’t always been as successful as they would have liked but the supporters are mature enough to know that the wisdom of hindsight is a wonderful thing. The mood is positive here in the red part of Bristol with the whole community looking forward to the next stage of club development, and with a bit of luck, promotion to the PL (promised land) with the godlike Lansdowns at the helm.”

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, TedsHeadIs Red said:

“The Lansdowns are hugely popular figures here at Ashton Gate for all they’ve done for the club, with the development of first class facilities and stadium and for establishing them as a second tier outfit. Before they arrived the fans had been mostly served third and fourth rate football since 1980. Some of manager and administrative recruitment hasn’t always been as successful as they would have liked but the supporters are mature enough to know that the wisdom of hindsight is a wonderful thing. The mood is positive here in the red part of Bristol with the whole community looking forward to the next stage of club development, and with a bit of luck, promotion to the PL (promised land) with the godlike Lansdowns at the helm.”

I don't reckon the commentator will say all that.

On 14/01/2024 at 14:40, ralphindevon said:

In the past he’s said he wouldn’t do City if they got to the Premier League but may consider doing an FA cup tie.

I think he said if City go to the Premier League, he'd go to watch all the games and wouldn't want to work at them.

16 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Pearce lets down SOTC tonight!!!!  Reckon he’s been kidnapped!

Working on his notes for the game apparently.  Desperately trimming 200 Bristol City references down to a paltry 50. 

I'm not sure about him doing tonight's game.  I get more enjoyment when he manages to drop a Bristol City reference into a commentary on a France v USA women's international. Much more of a challenge. 

• Like 5

"Consistently inconsistent"

"A side that at times appear to be making progress and then somehow seem to shoot themselves in the foot and end up taking two steps backwards"

"Constantly struggling to find their own identity"

"A decent Championship outfit but ultimately lacking in the star quality needed to propel them to the promised land"