IGNORED

West Ham United at home FA Cup replay match thread

Jerseybean

3 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

West Ham were shite over 180 mins. Very weird performances from them.

Only good on the counter?

Can see why Ward Prowse can't get in the England squad. Doesn't stand out at all

One bit of Prem quality all night and Max made a great save.

Just now, Numero Uno said:

Aggression won that tonight. These Prem sides don’t like it when sides like us compete against them. 

One thing I really like, since probably the LJ run, is that we don’t compromise how we play because we are up against a prem side. And except from Man City last season, who are in a class of their own, it’s worked brilliantly for us. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Gimme Shelton said:

Because championship teams give you far less space. I didn't think we passed well at all,I found myself groaning so many times

Thought I was the only one , thought we played well but also thought we give the ball away very cheaply a lot especially first half 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, One Team said:

Lots of facts from JP already go on son!

When he mentioned that SL started his business in his bedroom, I thought he would go on to describe the wallpaper, carpet, pictures on the wall and the larva lamp on the bedside table!

• Haha 10

The best thing about that is it was deserved. Sometimes you get upsets and they’re grubby, but it wasn’t. The period 25-40 we looked in a bit of trouble but were the better side for the remainder - clearly a red card helps but you’ve still got to play against it. And the subs were the right ones at the right times so credit to the bench as well as the players. Great stuff and now need to carry it to Watford.

• Like 6

Great result, City, and thoroughly deserved over the course of the 180 minutes. We didn’t even play that well tonight but Weet Ham were utterly gutless. Nice to see us set about them a bit and that tit Benrahma took the bait. Great backing from the Red Army.

It was screened on ESPN+ here and Stewart Robson was on co-commentary. He was practically crying.

Now, hopefully we can kick on in the league. I saw someone say they’d rather three points than win this but I strongly, strongly disagree - these types of evenings live long in the memory.

Now over to Norwich at the Stadium of Quiet and hope they can deny the Slags a trip up to Anfield and not have me in the awkward position of having to cheer on the Bin Dippers.

Well done 👍

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Son of Fred said:

Oh no...Cornick 😆😬

Am I seriously the only one here that doesn't rate him? Comes in with so much promise and has his own song in the corner, but is slower than just about everyone, takes very few chances and creates even less than a holding striker like Diedhiou?

I despise being negative on this glorious night but in this team of hungry, capable and ambitious youngsters that are causing serious problems, he juts out like a sore thumb.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

Haha, I didn't see the Williams-Benrahma incident because I lost some minutes of the second half: I discovered it here at the end of the game. 🤣 I just saw the episode in the cup's FB page and...I agree, Williams was lucky 😅 : anyway, after all the damages we had from Championship referees in recent seasons, we deserve a lot more of these pro-City errors, right?!? 😇

Just now, redkev said:

Thought I was the only one , thought we played well but also thought we give the ball away very cheaply a lot especially first half 

Think we've played better and lost! But trying to put the last few months to one and just enjoy seeing a team in red and white, 100% committed, out fight a Premier league side and get a result to be proud of. Well done lads

W

6 minutes ago, Maxex1979 said:

I thought, why can we not play like this in the league! 

We can......but only against teams above us in the table who will want possession and will attack us.

Weirdly, tonight's result isn't that shocking - another good result against a team above us in the table (or English football pyramid).

It's when we win 3 in a row against teams 16th, 18th, and 22nd in the Championship that I'll be shocked 😅

1 minute ago, cellist said:

Think we've played better and lost! But trying to put the last few months to one and just enjoy seeing a team in red and white, 100% committed, out fight a Premier league side and get a result to be proud of. Well done lads

W

With a bit of quality here or there and a bit of development for the youngsters there deffo a team in there somewhere

3 minutes ago, Dan Robin said:

Haha, I didn't see the Williams-Benrahma incident because I lost some minutes of the second half: I discovered it here at the end of the game. 🤣 I just saw the episode in the cup's FB page and...I agree, Williams was lucky 😅 : anyway, after all the damages we had from Championship referees in recent seasons, we deserve a lot more of these pro-City errors, right?!? 😇

I love how Williams is getting in faces a lot lately, but won’t get away with it forever..

new contract please

• Like 1

Just now, Banjo Island said:

What a contrast in performance the preston game was awful and tonight we were just incredible now if we could just bring that level of intensity commitment and passion who knows where it could take us

My thoughts exactly. Play some tidy football with some edge, what’s not to like

19 minutes ago, Leabrook said:

@Dan Robin is the only fan left who likes var. there’s always one 

How many penalties would have been awarded to City in the last seasons with VAR? How about red cards to opponents and other decisions?

Having better refereeings should be enough to want VAR, even if in England often it's not used properly (so more an English limit, I guess). Then the utility can be different depending on the context: I follow Italian football too, and even if dirty things will continue to  happen (sad but true 😑  ), at least VAR helps to reduce suspicious episodes. 

Edited by Dan Robin
  • Confused 1

39 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

I have expressed concerns before about relying on a raw striker in Conway

I am delighted to say tonight that that opinion must change.  Conway’s goal was of Atyeo quality.  I can give no greater praise.

Well done the young man

Big John would've gone down though, wouldn't he? When the keeper took a swipe?

3 hours ago, Red Exile said:

I'm watching from Venice. Saw a very entertaining match at the weekend where the locals beat Andrea Pirlo's Sampdoria 5-3 in Serie B...standard not always the highest but the most entertaining game of football I have seen in years.

Hoping for something similar. It's freezing here too.

COYR!

I was there last week and went to the "Arsenale" to look at their ground, gutted i couldn't get a game in

• Robin 1

Can’t lie that actually felt like we were playing a mid table championship side for the majority of the game. 

Really solid performance, wasteful at times but got the job done. Need to follow it up Saturday now!!

• Like 5

Loved the formation, TGH and Anis were superb in that midfield four. Going to have plenty of depth for that midfield box to keep things fresh. Plenty of interchangeable players. Can see why LM been waiting for Mccrorie to switch formations, looks like he’s gonna be a machine going forward and backwards. Brilliant from the whole 11.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dan Robin said:

How many penalties would have been awarded to City in the last seasons with VAR? How about red cards to opponents and other decisions?

Having better refereeings should be enough to want VAR, even if in England often it's not used properly (so more an English limit, I guess). Then the utility can be different depending on the context: I follow Italian football too, and even if dirty things will continue to  happen (sad but true 😑  ), at least VAR helps to reduce suspicious episodes. 

Couldn’t care less. I go to football to celebrate goals and passionately support my team. Not wait for correct decisions to be made 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Can’t lie that actually felt like we were playing a mid table championship side for the majority of the game. 

Really solid performance, wasteful at times but got the job done. Need to follow it up Saturday now!!

Most mid table Championship sides would probably have given us more butterflies defending a slender lead heading into four minutes of additional time.

Even a man down and with a severely weakened squad, it looked like West Ham felt as of going out of the FA Cup was actually a good thing. Sad if true but take nothing away from City, who as I said weren’t exactly superb but gave 100% all night and were worthy victors.

• Like 1

Superb night. We really battled tonight and defensively superb. Obvious we are still lacking that quality going forward but hopefully Twine will help with this. 

3 hours ago, B1ackbird said:

"I'm forever blowing bubbles, pretty bubbles in the air,

They fly so high, they reach the sky, 

just like West Ham, they fade and die..."

One for the East Ender's...

Tottenham's always running 

Arsenal's running too

We are the East End boot boys

Running after you.............City....City !

• Like 2

Really enjoyed that. Loved the commitment from City and a fully deserved win. West Ham players seemed to lose their heads. 

Missed the goal after getting to the ground slightly late (we scored just as we got through the turnstiles) - unfortunately someone on the bus from the Bris park and ride was taken ill, so the bus stopped on the Hartcliffe way and we walked from there. I really, really hope he/she is ok. Credit to the fans on the bus who stayed to help out.

Really good win. Great to see us being feisty and playing with controlled aggression 😉

Pleased we upset the Scammers and the Fewers at the same time.

Only downside was Jonathon Pierce’s failure to mention anything about our club’s esteemed history, any of our former players and managers, anything about our local schools, towns and villages, and any of his childhood memories.

However, I suppose he was simply being a consumate professional, and keen to demonstrate his impartiality.

Looking forward to tomorrow night and singing

“Don’t cry Irene,

Don’t cry Irene,

The Liverpool trip was just a dream.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Flames 2

2 hours ago, bexhill reds said:

Great game, VAR would have killed it. Love the little edge, need to bottle that nastiness for the league.

Yep, we would have one, maybe 2 red cards ourselves. But it is great to see the WHU players rattled. None of it was really nasty stuff, just a bit edgy. 

32 minutes ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

Didn’t think Zak or Max were particularly comfortable this evening. 

Impressed with Tanner who stuck to his task well and thought TGH was superb. 

Harsh on Zak and Max I think, Zak defensively was very sound. Misplaced a few passes but was trying to do the right thing and I don’t mind that. Max didn’t do anything wrong and made a fantastic save. Thought that was one of Tanners best performances so far for us and was definitely my MOTM. COYR!!

• Like 1

Great night - we were excellent.

Now to back it up on Saturday in what is, an important league game.

Can we get the consistency we need, to put a strong a run together in the league? Play like that and we will cause a lot of teams, huge problems.

Very positive signs…….

COYRs 🙌

Incredible evening at Ashton Gate.

Historic.

That's what it is all about! 

As City fans we have to put up with a lot of crap, but evenings like this make it all worth while! 

Special mention to Ross McCrorie on his debut after an incredibly tough time for him. 

• Like 7

44 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Tottenham's always running 

Arsenal's running too

We are the East End boot boys

Running after you.............City....City !

After “running after you” it was often Boris-tol (clap, clap, clap), Boris-tol

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

Didn’t think Zak or Max were particularly comfortable this evening. 

Impressed with Tanner who stuck to his task well and thought TGH was superb. 

Both Vyner and Max were a bit dodgy tonight and agree that Tanner was excellent.

MoM for me was Williams, closely followed by Tanner.

Just had a quick scan of their forum, jeez they're a salty bunch - apparently our boys are thugs especially Williams (Max got a few mentions for being dodgy), but its like we're not supposed to touch them. They were a soft bunch of prima donnas and didn't like it up 'em.

We simply fancied it more than them and I was quite surprised at just how ordinary they were, like another Championship team.

Great atmosphere, the fans were up for it as well, completely outsung the West Ham lot who seem to have a very limited repetoire cosisting of come on you irons and that dreadful bubbles dirge.

Great night.

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, alexukhc said:

Watched with my lad on the box, his 3rd game watching a full 90 with us  and we’ve won 3, Tommy Conway has scored in each and at the end of the game he declared his love for him 🥰❤️ 

Rather we smashed the league but I’ll take beating West Ham any day.

I hate this club at times, disliked football but not tonight, lost a lot of love for it the last couple years but it’s creeping back and soz mentioning my lad again, him asking him to wear his City kit over his Chelsea kit(in laws, don’t ask) I remember being a young lad again, falling asleep in my City Kit, loving Junior Bent. I never gave it up but the hearts coming back.

anyway can’t wait to lose against Watford on Saturday, party on ❤️

Your lad’s record is watched 3, won 3! You know the answer - get him, and you, a season ticket 

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Only downside was Jonathon Pierce’s failure to mention anything about our club’s esteemed history, any of our former players and managers, anything about our local schools, towns and villages, and any of his childhood memories.

I think I need to reset my irony filters. 🤣

• Flames 1

9 minutes ago, TommyD68 said:

Harsh on Zak and Max I think, Zak defensively was very sound. Misplaced a few passes but was trying to do the right thing and I don’t mind that. Max didn’t do anything wrong and made a fantastic save. Thought that was one of Tanners best performances so far for us and was definitely my MOTM. COYR!!

Too many "Heart in your mouth" moments from Zak for anything higher than a 7

• Like 2

We set about them, but it wasn’t OTT. It may be a league of exceptionally skilled players but they are also a bunch of shandy-drinking Pewseys who roll in the clover more than Adge Cutler’s milkmaids.

Grown accustomed to being bailed out by manipulating the officials into awarding them non-existent fouls or calling play back about eigh hours after an incident due to VAR. None of that namby pamby bollards tonight - sorry if we were too rough for you, St Winifrid’s School Choir. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Flames 3

Smashing night at the gate.

Very good team performance.  Manning appeared to get it spot on with the selection and shape.  Of course West Ham had a couple of good chances, but they didn’t put us under untold pressure m even in the first half when they had good control of the game.

Wasnt quite a 343 nor a 3421box, something in between.  Not that it matters.

Managed to rest Knight too (even if he was ill), so he’ll be ready for Saturday hopefully.

Bit lucky with some of our challenges, but I thought the referee managed it fairly.

I don’t care what anyone says, Tommy Conway is the real deal.

IMG_9613.thumb.jpeg.3dbddd3353aa468d6cfff0beda5b0cdb.jpeg

This is the moment Tommy decides to close down the keeper, he didn’t pick up on a bad pass, he anticipated it yards before it happened.

I said before the game I hoped we could win to get some momentum going into Saturday. Fingers crossed.

It’s late, but I’m gonna start watching the bbc coverage now!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 4

34 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Smashing night at the gate.

Very good team performance.  Manning appeared to get it spot on with the selection and shape.  Of course West Ham had a couple of good chances, but they didn’t put us under untold pressure m even in the first half when they had good control of the game.

Wasnt quite a 343 nor a 3421box, something in between.  Not that it matters.

Managed to rest Knight too (even if he was ill), so he’ll be ready for Saturday hopefully.

Bit lucky with some of our challenges, but I thought the referee managed it fairly.

I don’t care what anyone says, Tommy Conway is the real deal.

IMG_9613.thumb.jpeg.3dbddd3353aa468d6cfff0beda5b0cdb.jpeg

This is the moment Tommy decides to close down the keeper, he didn’t pick up on a bad pass, he anticipated it yards before it happened.

I said before the game I hoped we could win to get some momentum going into Saturday. Fingers crossed.

It’s late, but I’m gonna start watching the bbc coverage now!

I'm about to start watching it too. 

My son watched the BBC coverage on iplayer, during the game whilst sat in his seat! Kids of today hey! 😄 

It was 45 seconds behind real time so it was handy to look over and watch the replays! 

Edited by W-S-M Seagull