IGNORED

Coventry City away match thread

Jerseybean

I really enjoyed watching that. Thought our performance was very good, despite giving away two soft goals.

Considering Coventry’s form and them being at home, that is a very good point in my opinion.

When we analyse the match, we can learn much about taking a quick throw in. We allowed them to do just that and 10 seconds later they equalised!  I know I bang on about it lots of times but please, please, please, can we get better at taking throw ins, as illustrated this evening, they are a critical part of the game.

Anyway, let’s finish on a positive… a good overall performance and an excellent point, well play Bristol City and the traveling fans.

• Like 5

• Admin
5 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Great seeing us go for the win, seems to be surprising the Coventry commentary team

Wish I'd managed to watch on a Cov stream. I'm fed up with hearing from Robins TV that we are basically prime Real Madrid (with our only handicap being competition winner Mehmeti) whilst Manning is the next Pep.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BCFC31 said:

Absolute shambles cov were having a mare aswell they looked very below par for them we are cursed we just can't win games

Nothing to do with us playing well and making them look below par, like we did with West Ham and Forest?

1 minute ago, One Team said:

Ordinarily a point away is good but if we have any remote chance of the play off we should be winning games like that especially having taken the lead so late in the game. Feels like two points dropped to me. 

Some good performances though amongst all that but Max, dear oh dear. 

Why are you mentioning the playoffs? There is zero chance just forget it.

• Like 7

The win was there, but too often the final pass through to a forward fell short. Just like the Forest game, it made interesting viewing for  neutral.

Some Coventry fans are not happy; https://www.skybluestalk.co.uk/threads/coventry-city-bristol-city-fc-match-thread-tuesday-30th-jan.156447/page-23

Take the point, but that wasn't great from us. At least we managed not to lose.

Shitty game and no one put in a performance. Take it and move on.

Need to be winning those sort of games if we're serious about playoffs. Bristol City are bang average.

What a bloody awful game of football.

• Flames 1

5 minutes ago, Finley_Smith10 said:

Take a point away from home. Hopefully a signing by deadline day 

This must be a joke surely 😂 anyone who thinks we are signing anyone tomorrow is living on a different planet 

A point away at in form Coventry is no bad result.

Unfortunately, we are out of form, 3 points from the last 5 games puts us at second bottom of the current form table. We need points from somewhere to match the hard work and aim of getting top 6. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Top Robin said:

Nothing to do with us playing well and making them look below par, like we did with West Ham and Forest?

We were shite mate. Stop making excuses for it we raised our game for the cup games our leauge form is shocking 

• Confused 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 minute ago, Ian M said:

Wish I'd managed to watch on a Cov stream. I'm fed up with hearing from Robins TV that we are basically prime Real Madrid (with our only handicap being competition winner Mehmeti) whilst Manning is the next Pep.

It’s a bit of a superstitious thing, I have much better record watching the home commentary when we play away. 

Just now, Northern Red said:

I think it's interesting that the posters who are most annoyed at that are the ones who were expecting nothing from the game beforehand.

Exactly. In the cold light of day that’s a good point albeit frustrating the way it materialised.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Point about right, can’t argue with that too much. Just a shame to have such a poor error cost us, especially going into such a tough run. 

A bit of quality, relentless hard work and endeavour cancelled out by a really poor error by someone who many fans would replace with better quality if we were allowed the funds to. Probably sums up where we are as a club at the minute.  

Should have won imo. Both of their goals were far too easy . 

Just now, Jerseybean said:

I really enjoyed watching that. Thought our performance was very good, despite giving away two soft goals.

Considering Coventry’s form and them being at home, that is a very good point in my opinion.

When we analyse the match, we can learn much about taking a quick throw in. We allowed them to do just that and 10 seconds later they equalised!  I know I bang on about it lots of times but please, please, please, can we get better at taking throw ins, as illustrated this evening, they are a critical part of the game.

Anyway, let’s finish on a positive… a good overall performance and an excellent point, well play Bristol City and the traveling fans.

All about opinions! Can't say I enjoyed it at all! Hiding behind the sofa after they equalised and then had that cross that flashed across the box!

We worked hard, had a good game plan, forced them into a lot of errors...but I thought we were so sloppy with the ball. 5 yard passes not finding their man, poor quality into the box (we always have difficulty breaking teams down, but tonight it seemed that we didn't look after the ball as well)

Still, a year or two ago you could argue we would have lost the game. Gutted to not win after taking the lead, but if you'd have offered me a point before or even on 60 mins with how we were playing I'd have taken it. Draw away at a decent side when the passes aren't sticking is a good point.

Form is not good - and the next 3 are tough, so important to pick up a point. COYR

1 minute ago, RedRoss said:

I thought we looked knackered. Going to be a tough set of games coming up.

Max had a bad night but all the fans slagging him off have very short memories.

Re Max.  No we are not.  Many of us have felt from the beginning he was far too error prone.  Worse than Gibson imo on that score.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

I think it's interesting that the posters who are most annoyed at that are the ones who were expecting nothing from the game beforehand.

Err, we’ve just seen the first mistake by a Championship keeper this season (maybe this decade?), posters have every right to be livid. Max out, entirely faultless (but cheap) keeper in. 

• Confused 1
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, Jerseybean said:

About throw ins, short ones anyway. I think a good throw gets to the receiving player on the volley so the ball travels down to the players feet as its first movement or they can clear it on the volley if close to their own goal area.

A bad throw hits the grass first so its first movement is to naturally roll up the receiving player and is hard to control, giving a chance to the oppo player to nip in.

Surprising how many players struggle with that.

2 hours ago, RedRoss said:

You can't play your best available players every game. It doesn't work like that. There has to be rotation. That's why you have squads and not just 11 players. Sorry to break it to you but you can't just refill their stamina like you would on Fifa or Football Manager.

I’m not asking for the same 11 every game.  I’m sure if you watched you’ll admit to me that we looked much more dangerous once both Bell and Mehmeti were replaced. 

So frustrating. What makes it worse is this was the season to make the play offs if we ever were going too.

A win tonight would have somehow seen us 3 points off them despite being in awful form. 

There are patterns of play building and at times we actually look quite neat. But overall it’s inconsistent, we are nailed on to finish around 14th sadly once again.

Demoralising it really is 😩

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Sorry but O’Leary is too accident prone.  We have needed a goalie for more than a season now. Good goal from Wells but still think he is finished at this level.  So back to start of transfer window when many of us wanted a play maker, which we now have in Twine, altho on loan and injured, another goalie, and a striker.

Still missing two signings in my opinion

How can anyone seriously say that about Wells after tonight?

Horseshit about Max, as well.

• Like 18
  • Flames 1

We’re too slow at doing what we do. By the time we get in front of goal the opposition have men in the box and all our good work is undone.

It’s a whole new sense of frustration, layered on top of all the usual frustrations of being a City fan.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ian M said:

First half they (Cov) had constant audio issues and were switching back and forth between 2 different set ups with wildly different audio levels while also praising us.

8 minutes ago, Ian M said:

It is a little bit North Korean state TV isn't it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

I thought we looked knackered. Going to be a tough set of games coming up.

Max had a bad night but all the fans slagging him off have very short memories.

No we don’t - some of us have been saying for a long time we need better than him to progress. He makes too many mistakes to be a top end championship keeper. He makes a few good saves but I’d argue they are no better than what a standard champ keeper makes week in week out

• Like 6

Just now, Numero Uno said:

So you expected more than a point tonight?

Yep, he was one of many expecting a comfortable 3-0 win beforehand.

Go back to the start of this thread, absolutely full of people delighted Bell started & expecting us to piss the game.

Coventry unbeaten in 12 but what does that mean?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Coventry weren't up to their usual standards, pleased with the point. 

Need to play Conway and Wells together from now on, don't want to see Knight play in that forward position anymore. Give Cornick more minutes on that right side until Sykes is back. We actually had a bit about us physically higher up with those three. 

It got McCrorie and Tanner higher up the pitch too.

The last 10-15 minutes felt a bit more front-foot football and the only time during the game we looked remotely dangerous.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

100%.. Nahki’s work rate was exceptional tonight, well taken goal and my MoM. Opposition defence and keeper under threat all night.

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

Well Manning has his work cut out with players like Bell and Mehmeti who have very low footballing IQs, playing Conway off the left shows me he’s losing patience with Anis. Need Twine back ASAP because we’re lacking a clever creative player without him and it’s hard to watch at times. O’Hare or Sakamoto exactly what we need clever dribblers and passers with the football brain to match.

• Like 2

Just now, GrahamC said:

Everyone is welcome to their opinion but play those two next season and we certainly won’t advance beyond mid table.  It is not that O’Leary is accident prone but the nature of his mistakes snd his failure to improve.  I stand by my comment on Wells.  He has had one good striker’s season in his career, quite away back now, and he simply isn’t the player we bought.  Time for realism over both players if we really are serious about top six next season.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Positives tonight - Nahki and Tommy showing they are good together.  Cornick did well when he came on, as did Mcrorie.  Williams battled well.  The back 3 were decent again.

negatives tonight - Set Piece delivery.  O Leary 🤦‍♂️, and as all too often Sam Bell.

• Like 4

I’m so envious of the people that can already take the positives - I’m honestly bereft of positive emotion after that equaliser. Our season is over isn’t it ☹️ playoffs feel about as likely as winning the FA Cup at this point.

• Like 3

State of some on here. The “only” creative player we had missing and we go away to a bang in form team and draw 2-2 and had the better of the game for the most part and could have been a win bar an individual error.

Yet people on here, the same ones who expected us to get obliterated at 7.45pm this evening, are in tears, have had enough, running the team down blah blah.

• Like 9
  • Flames 2
  • Robin 1

2 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

It is a little bit North Korean state TV isn't it. 

I just use it to watch the football from that perspective it does a good job for what you pay as an overseas subscriber.

I get it’s fashionable to have a dig at anything the club does on a official level, but it’s essentially an internal TV feed and not a public tv channel.

Good point at a form team , but....

Sloppy passing costs us so much possession.
Wasted so many crossing opportunities , if we got points for hitting the first man we'd be top.
I've defended Max before now , but that was shocking. First day at keeper school stuff, push the ball away ffs.
Mehmeti is the most frustrating player I've watched for years.
Sam Bell, never more than ok and never imposes himself on the game.
Could easily have won that, just not tidy enough in possession or clinical enough in the last 3rd.

A word for Leigh Doughty, thought he was great for Cov tonight . Broke up lots of our attacks , and helped them onto the front foot by making them take a free kick every time they fell over. 
Ellis wasn't off side though, so can't blame him for that.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Yep, he was one of many expecting a comfortable 3-0 win beforehand.

Go back to the start of this thread, absolutely full of people delighted Bell started & expecting us to piss the game.

Coventry unbeaten in 12 but what does that mean?

It was a good solid draw but having got infront 2 points dropped.  I wasn’t impressed with Bell again, and thought we looked much better once Mcrorie came on the right and Bell was replaced by Cornick.  Bell got into promising positions a few times but his touch and delivery all too often are letting him down.

• Like 1

Just now, BCFCGav said:

I’m so envious of the people that can already take the positives - I’m honestly bereft of positive emotion after that equaliser. Our season is over isn’t it ☹️ playoffs feel about as likely as winning the FA Cup at this point.

Apparently we are not allowed to even think about the Play offs. Good job Luton didn’t have that attitude. 

• Like 1

Frustrating that was. Coventry were there for the taking. It's 2 points dropped as we gifted them two goals and we simply switched off after our 2nd goal. 

Good performance but we've managed to score twice which is a positive but then we've conceded two very poor goals. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BCFCGav said:

We simply don’t have the squad strength to make top 6. Nowhere near good enough if the final third for starters, and most people have always known it. 

I can’t believe lansdown jnr really believes it either.

• Like 3

On the face of it a decent performance. Enjoyed what I saw of it. Two great finishes for our goals...

...but seriously, if you are Steve Lansdown you've got to be asking how Coventry - a financial and logistical basket case in very recent memory  - look a more accomplished side than the one he's put together.

Hey ho. 13th beckons again!

• Like 3

Good result 

Cov only lost 1 at home

Played pretty well - Fair result

Max let us down tonight I think both goals.

Mehmeti and Bell not going to score enough goals in a front three.

Corners and crossing poor

Twine would have made a diff tonight

Wells Conway Sykes best front 3 by miles. 

Need maybe a winger/striker to come in tomorrow.