IGNORED

Dire Mebude signed on loan - CONFIRMED

westonred

8 minutes ago, Henry said:

It really does seem pointless loaning players. I’d rather we kept going with Mehmeti, who’s actually our player.

Never pointless to loan as Tammy and Matt Smith proved in the past , never likely to sign either, also looks like he plays on the other side to Mehmeti.

Lets hope he does well , certainly has pace and had something for sure at Man City 

• Confused 1

Just now, Cov 77 said:

Never pointless to loan as Tammy and Matt Smith proved in the past , never likely to sign either, also looks like he plays on the other side to Mehmeti.

Lets hope he does well , certainly has pace and had something for sure at Man City 

I mean pointless in the context of our season going no where.

1 minute ago, petehinton said:

No option, and he has 3.5 years left on his deal, so not the most obvious of loan to perms we’ve seen

I like the look of him and look forward to watching him. 

I suppose tho that my thoughts are that Pearson used to say "no point bringing in us developing another teams player" so our strategy has now changed. 

A lot has been said about the path way etc and now by bringing this lad in on only a loan it's going to deny the likes of Bell and Mehmeti minutes and I'm not sure I like that strategy. 

• Facepalm 3

:laugh:. We get on loan players from a low rated Belgium team. We are a stronger team, richer and doesn't look good. But who knows, maybe Gurdiola fked up and he is a great talent which doesn't feel good in Belgium and wants back.

1 minute ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Just out of interest.... what new signing in this transfer window would put the "academy first"?

Signing no-one, which everyone would also moan about.

Strange that some people aren't happy with us signing exciting young talent.

• Like 14

4 minutes ago, petehinton said:

No option, and he has 3.5 years left on his deal, so not the most obvious of loan to perms we’ve seen

Westerlo suggest we have an option to sign him.

https://kvcwesterlo.be/2024/02/01/adedire-mebude-on-loan-to-bristol-city-fc/

Adedire Mebude on loan to Bristol City FC

Adedire Mebude will finish the season in the Championship. The Scottish youth international has reached an agreement with Bristol City FC, which has signed him on loan until the end of the season. The English second-tier club has also secured an option to purchase the Scottish winger. Bristol City is currently positioned 13th in the Championship.

Best of luck, Adedire!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dynamite Red said:

Hopefully an already agreed permanent deal if successful. 

If it works out, let's hope so. He signed for the Belgian mob for €1.65M, should be within our budget.

Let's see I suppose. Looking strong, if a bit young, for next season already and if this guy is decent and available, boom!

Probably the type of business we need to be doing. Has all the good upbringing. So you know the ability is there just needs the right environment. We can’t buy proven for the same money we’d sign this lad for. We have a try before buy and a coach that likes to develop. It is an ambitious move for us which makes me think we are moving in the right direction as a club.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Mihai said:

:laugh:. We get on loan players from a low rated Belgium team. We are a stronger team, richer and doesn't look good. But who knows, maybe Gurdiola fked up and he is a great talent which doesn't feel good in Belgium and wants back.

To be fair, some very good players haven't made it at Man City, they're a bit good!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Just out of interest.... what new signing in this transfer window would put the "academy first"?

One rhat doesnt “block the pathway” for those involved in the periphery of the first team, potentially ready for first team exposure, for want of a non wanky phrase. Becoming overloaded in positions where we have good enough talent in the 21s to blood through. 

If he does have an option as the parent club suggests, that changes things a bit vs just having someone else’s player take Nelson/Yeboahs wide player ‘spot’ for example.  However not exactly sure how he’d fit with how we’ve played here the last month or so, unless they see him becoming a central striker. 

I love out of the blue (Sky Blue?) signings that no one including Ian knew about...............Out of left field, young, fast and with a Premier League background.   I like it?    Anyway next summer is when our real business will be done, with Tommy leaving a new striker coming in, so enjoy?

Does this mean we may not be sticking with a back 3/5 after all? 

Anyway, young with point to prove and sounds like we have an option to buy, so got to be pleased haven’t we?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mihai said:

He doesn’t have to be Guardiola level good to be a star here. He was good enough to go for 2m euros without a senior game player. I think it is safe to assume the talent is there and up to Manning to get his confidence going

• Like 2

Looks a potentially exciting signing. Good to see we are also casting our net wide in the search for new players. Other clubs sign players not well known that turn out to be good signings. Hopefully it's our turn now. Well done Brian and the recruitment team who I have been moaning about. Hopefully more humble pie to come.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

To be fair, some very good players haven't made it at Man City, they're a bit good!

I saw the option to buy so can be good. Nothing to loose for trying but we needed some experience at this level also. Be played in Belgium league and oh my god I watched some games recently and not Westerlo games, games of the top teams and they don't look like playing football. I mean... look what Anderlecht and Gent did today. We need that experience also, some proven players.

So many moany gits on here. This club won't sign anyone.. we need pace, power blah blah. Omg can't believe we're signing this player. Waste of time.

Typical OTIB

Edited by RedRoss
  • Like 12
  • Hmmm 1

Positives: Man City Youth Record

Negatives: Couldn’t get in mediocre Belgian team.

This is one where if we signed him directly from Man City I think there would be universal acclaim, potential pathway blocker or not. Westerlo being happy to get rid after six months does raise an unwanted question though. Could easily be that he didn’t settle.

With the option in place to allow us to assess if it was just that, or as others have been he’s a bully in a top prem academy but not as hot in the real world, it seems an overall sensible deal. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, petehinton said:

One rhat doesnt “block the pathway” for those involved in the periphery of the first team, potentially ready for first team exposure, for want of a non wanky phrase. Becoming overloaded in positions where we have good enough talent in the 21s to blood through. 

If he does have an option as the parent club suggests, that changes things a bit vs just having someone else’s player take Nelson/Yeboahs wide player ‘spot’ for example.  However not exactly sure how he’d fit with how we’ve played here the last month or so, unless they see him becoming a central striker. 

So, in your opinion, do you feel that we shouldn't have signed this player  and who do you think should have been promoted to the first team from the academy whose pathway is now blocked?

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I don’t want to stereotype, but across the course of my history supporting Bristol City, pacey afrocaribbean wingers are my absolute favourite. 😍 

Other than that, I have nothing of value to add to this conversation. 

Jah Murray: I agree. 

Just now, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

So, in your opinion, do you feel that we shouldn't have signed this player  and who do you think should have been promoted to the first team from the academy whose pathway is now blocked?

Presumably it'll mean even fewer minutes for people like Sam Bell, who could do with as much exposure as possible with our season going nowhere?

I'm all for loan signings with a purpose - the additions of people like Matt Smith and George Saville were huge when we were promoted - but there's got to be a longer-term vision than just seeing us through to a mid-table finish.

All opinions, though, innit.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

Positives: Man City Youth Record

Negatives: Couldn’t get in mediocre Belgian team.

This is one where if we signed him directly from Man City I think there would be universal acclaim, potential pathway blocker or not. Westerlo being happy to get rid after six months does raise an unwanted question though. Could easily be that he didn’t settle.

With the option in place to allow us to assess if it was just that, or as others have been he’s a bully in a top prem academy but not as hot in the real world, it seems an overall sensible deal. 

Pretty sure he’s been Injured.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Hamdon Mart said:

Ah right, I looked on Twitter and he's named him and listed his attributes but about 20 minutes after City announced it. 

This? 

https://twitter.com/RealBristolBoy/status/1753168926668624173?t=BtK39TljUFYeIOxBJc4rSQ&s=19

Makes me laugh how he posts things like this as if he knows all about him and has personally watched him 100 times. This is why people think he is in the know. Because he posts things that make it look like he knows something. 

When the reality is after we signed him he went on Wiki. 

Edited by W-S-M Seagull

2 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Totally agree

From transfer blog….

Dire Mebude (W) - [KVC Westerlo - Bristol City] - Loan

I didn’t expect to be picking up Romaine Mundle vibes so soon after writing about him, yet here we are. Scotland youth international Dire Mebude is another who after an elite academy upbringing left the UK to start their senior career in Belgium.

Leggy and powerful, Mebude is direct and attacks his full-back inside and out. But where does a direct wideman fit into Manning’s Bristol City? Where?

Just now, The Journalist said:

Presumably it'll mean even fewer minutes for people like Sam Bell, who could do with as much exposure as possible with our season going nowhere?

I'm all for loan signings with a purpose - the additions of people like Matt Smith and George Saville were huge when we were promoted - but there's got to be a longer-term vision than just seeing us through to a mid-table finish.

Maybe Sam Bell just isn't good enough ? Maybe the season isn't over ffs

• Like 2

It will be interesting to see what type of player this lad is. and where he will play The signing a club like ours should be making. Yes there is risk, but we cannot afford the finished article. 

Let's see what he can do. 

Edited by RollsRoyce
  • Like 3

Just now, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

If there’s an option (still seems tbc on that, city not mentioning, Belgian club say so) it makes more sense then just we have him for 4 months. Raekwan Nelson has been in squads and done extremely well in 21s, would’ve been absolutely comfortable and excited to see him blooded more between now and season end. Likewise the same with Yeboah to get more minutes like he did earlier in the season. Especially as the season could well be fizzling out. Very unlikely they are seen again this season, as an example. 

Option changes things, as I say, and he hopefully ends up being a worldie, but I personally get more joy out of seeing the gradual blooding and development of our own youngsters vs having them ‘signed over’ for more short term reasoning. 

Not a complain or any of this “moan if we sign someone moan if we don’t” tosh that gets thrown around. That’s just me. 

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 2

Just now, Top Robin said:

Why don't we just give him the courtesy of 2 or 3 games to show us what he can do before we write him off.

Thinking more 8-10 games, ah, it’s OTIB, Give him a 20 min sub. appearance then the pitchforks.

• Haha 2

I’m interested to see how he fits in. We’ve shifted from a back 4 to back 3 with McCrorie as a wingback. The internet appears to suggest this guys is a winger. We haven’t set up with wingers in any of Mannings games. The right side is probably our strongest area of the pitch with Tanner, McCrorie and Sykes (to a degree Knight also). Unless we plan to mould him into the next Henry?

If there’s an option (still seems tbc on that, city not mentioning, Belgian club say so) it makes more sense then just we have him for 4 months. Raekwan Nelson has been in squads and done extremely well in 21s, would’ve been absolutely comfortable and excited to see him blooded more between now and season end. Likewise the same with Yeboah to get more minutes like he did earlier in the season. Especially as the season could well be fizzling out. Very unlikely they are seen again this season, as an example. 

Option changes things, as I say, and he hopefully ends up being a worldie, but I personally get more joy out of seeing the gradual blooding and development of our own youngsters vs having them ‘signed over’ for more short term reasoning. 

Not a complain or any of this “moan if we sign someone moan if we don’t” tosh that gets thrown around. That’s just me. 

What if a professional coach sees the likes of yeboah to just not have what it takes to have a place at this club ? 

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 1

4 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

This? 

https://twitter.com/RealBristolBoy/status/1753168926668624173?t=BtK39TljUFYeIOxBJc4rSQ&s=19

Makes me laugh how he posts things like this as if he knows all about him and has personally watched him 100 times. This is why people think he is in the know. Because he posts things that make it look like he knows something. 

When the reality is after we signed him he went on Wiki. 

Yes, that's the badger! I saw a couple people praise him earlier on this thread for getting the name right, guess my sarcasm meter is currently broken. 

7 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

Agreed. The season is done (has been for a while now tbh, and was never likely to be anything other than a mid-table finish). It is therefore a bit odd on the face of it to sign a young lad on loan like this.

I guess we have to assume that the Club are fully expecting to exercise that option to buy, and either move Bell on at the end of the season or keep both young right sided attackers here in order to strengthen the depth next season.

As for Dire himself, I'd not heard of him nor KVC Westerlo until a few minutes ago so I have absolutely nothing to add as to how likely he is to beat success.

Edited by ExiledAjax

6 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Majority will ignore the good points you make & just go along & yap exactly what your last paragraph states.

Edit: or hit you with the 🤦🏻‍♂️emoji!

Edited by Mr Hankey
  • Facepalm 1

People got their backs up about the Twine deal for the reasons you’ve said, myself included. He’s probably out our reach financially to buy and he would be going back to a league rival at the end of it.

I can get behind this one though.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

Why don't we just give him the courtesy of 2 or 3 games to show us what he can do before we write him off.

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 , this is otib forum ffs , you obviously don’t follow this forum on a Saturday when the game is in progress , we’re the titanic one minute and Concorde the next 

• Haha 1