IGNORED

Nottingham Forest away fourth round FA Cup replay match thread

Jerseybean

Just now, nickolas said:

Noone has to concur with anyone. Its a forum for opinion and discussion, not agreement. 

Ok, I have the same opinion as the OP. I’m not sure the view he has needs a huge amount of discussion or even argument to align my thinking to his.

You’re free to express whatever you want, but forums are not echo chambers.

5 minutes ago, stortfordred said:

Poster renamed. Nicolarse

4 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

And also pointing out that Sam Bell:

- Set up our goal

- Set up the chance for Wells

- Made a goal saving tackle in extra-time 

"Weak mentality" tho apparently... 

One criticises the poster ❌and one the post✅

31 minutes ago, petehinton said:

I’m not being OTT in saying that Wells miss might be the worst I’ve ever seen in a city game. 

Almost a bit relieved it happened to him and not Cornick. 

Not wanting to kick a man whilst he's down, but surely that accolade had to go to Sam Bell for this season.

Recall Bell had a near identical miss to Wells' at QPR this season (1 min 33 secs in 1st video), as well as missing an open goal with all the time in the world (2nd video)

Edited by Supersonic Robin

1 minute ago, BUTOR said:

4 games and 390 minutes of raised performance levels is not a one off crack at better opposition in the cup. The championship is relentless and doesn't often work in straight lines, I know, but it's still frustrating. Under Manning we've certainly had some games where there's been a questionable drop in levels. It makes the 'it's just where we are' argument lose a little bit of credibility when we've shown what we are truly capable of now, even with a depleted squad. I'm sure LM feels the same. Not expecting top 6, but neither am I happy to accept 14th and a dead end to the season in February either. 

We've also had some solid league performances along the lines of tonight, such as Watford and Coventry away, but we obviously would like to see consistency. It's not bloody easy though!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Sturny said:

I'm tired of our seasons being over 5-6 months in.

I'm aware that's dramatic, but it's how it's felt for so long. 

Well we haven’t won a league game since Boxing Day. Keep that up for another month and the season might just get interesting… in a bad way.

• Facepalm 1

16 minutes ago, Harry said:

Maybe James was down as the 5th penalty taker. Which more often than not is the real pressure one

We had Cornick, Bell, Wells & Mehmeti take pens. 
We don’t know who the 5th was. 
But only James & Williams were likely, as I doubt Tanner, Vyner, Dickie or Lebel were up for it? 

That’s all we had. If James had taken it and missed I’d imagine you’d be saying “why didn’t Bell take one - he’s a striker” 

Would prefer to put the pressure taker at 4 usually, you don't want to gamble on 5 not taking a penalty, it happened to Salah before being stuck at 5. a 3-0 rarely happens so you don't need to worry about number 3 as much. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Not wanting to kick a man whilst he's down, but surely that accolade had to go to Sam Bell for this season.

Recall Bell had a near identical miss to Wells' at QPR this season (1 min 33 secs in 1st video), before missing an open goal with all the time in the world (2nd video)

Near identical 🤣

One a bouncing ball eight yards out with the keeper to beat

The other a smooth square ball 2 yards out, open goal

Yeah 

Edit: Sorry I'm wrong to be fair, I was watching the wrong part of the highlights

Edited by cidercity1987

9 minutes ago, BUTOR said:

4 games and 390 minutes of raised performance levels is not a one off crack at better opposition in the cup. The championship is relentless and doesn't often work in straight lines, I know, but it's still frustrating. Under Manning we've certainly had some games where there's been a questionable drop in levels. It makes the 'it's just where we are' argument lose a little bit of credibility when we've shown what we are truly capable of now, even with a depleted squad. I'm sure LM feels the same. Not expecting top 6, but neither am I happy to accept 14th and a dead end to the season in February either. 

I would think that most fans expectations at the start of the season would be that our season would be pretty much over by now. Not that as a player or a coach you’d see it that way. It’s all about the next game and improving performances week on week and striving for the consistency that you need to have a chance of getting out of this very tough league.

i say tough, unless you’ve just come down from the prem that is.

As fans we need to do the same. Dust ourselves down and go again for the next game.

Edited by Show Me The Money!

6 minutes ago, Randy Marsh II said:

I'm just stunned Mehmeti scored his pen tbh

But why are you stunned for, you've never seen him take a penalty in training 🤣

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Is a back 4 or some variation of now the way forward?

We seem, right now anyway more comfortable and confident with it. In a word, cohesive.

We are ******* miles better with a back 4. The 3 at the back only worked vs West Ham at home.

Edited by 2015
  • Like 1

No one can argue that our FA Cup run has produced some very impressive displays.

We now need points. That's our bread and butter. The league run since Boxing Day has been very poor, if not relegation form. 

Fingers crossed...

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

That was a very decent FA Cup run to give a bit of excitement to another mid-table season.

I really enjoyed listening all the way through a radio commentary, this was a classic game and there is no shame in losing on penalties against a Premiership club.

• Like 3

Just now, Randy Marsh II said:

Because watching him week after week I don't really see the composure that I was confident he'd score. Thought that would be obvious.

I was being tongue in cheek mate, after seeing all the comments from the 'ITKs' on here for having a go at other fans for having their opinions on who they'd think could be good at pens..

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Have watched the Wells effort lots of times to try and work out what happens, from the best I can tell Nakki totally misses it, goes past his feet and it hits the defenders heel and goes backwards

image.png.4643bebe65ba291293eb995abae81b55.pngimage.png.479279a8db46a2b85602740586fa1ef9.png

9 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

That was a very decent FA Cup run to give a bit of excitement to another mid-table season.

I really enjoyed listening all the way through a radio commentary, this was a classic game and there is no shame in losing on penalties against a Premiership club.

We all do it. Including me previously...'Premier League Club'

Definition: Formed in February 20, 1992, the English Premier League was created by clubs in the Football League First Division. From 1993 to 2001, the league was called as the FA Carling Premiership. Barclaycard took over in 2001 and since then it is known as the Premier League.

Edited by Tomo

This is not about a penalty miss or the performance.  We had a chance to progress in the home tie and didn't have a single shot on target. Pens are a lottery, if Naki takes his chance then we may have gone through. We are a mid table championship team going nowhere due to poor decision making at the top. As someone who has supported City for 53 years I cannot see us in the top flight in the next 10. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 2
  • Facepalm 4

Well done lads . Listened on Talk Sport and enjoyed what I heard . On another day it could’ve gone our way . 
We are a decent side at times . Hopefully we can kick on until the end of the season. 

1 minute ago, Pippintogg said:

This is not about a penalty miss or the performance.  We had a chance to progress in the home tie and didn't have a single shot on target. Pens are a lottery, if Naki takes his chance then we may have gone through. We are a mid table championship team going nowhere due to poor decision making at the top. As someone who has supported City for 53 years I cannot see us in the top flight in the next 10. 

I think we'll have all popped our clogs by the time we see City in the top flight to be fair.

• Like 1

Unlucky lads, better team lost on the night but can be proud of the performances throughout the tournament. Might even be a blessing in disguise, if we’re to have the tiniest chance of edging close to the top 6 we’re going to need a fully fit squad and time to recover. A cup run might not allow that.. not that I think we’re really in the mix for top 6 but trying to look at the positives ey 😅 win 3 or 4 on the bounce and who knows! (I do know deep down we’re nailed on for no higher than 12th) 😂

Edited by TommyD68

1 hour ago, ollywhyte said:

The worst key moments video I think I have ever watched

1 hour ago, Frenchay Red said:

Makes you wonder what they were getting so excited about on RB

Yep that’s awful. Hasn’t even got their best chances let alone ours. I can think of at least 8/9 moments missing from there across both teams

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FNQ said:

Heartbreaking.. Chin up Sam, you played well and there’ll be better days ahead..

Shame they had their music belting out as the City were singing his name after the final whistle. Hopefully he could hear it, great performance tonight, he didn’t deserve that

• Like 1

Well played Bristol, that was a great showing, your team gave us a good go.

Your fans were great tonight, better than most of the Premier League rabble we get.

We lacked quality and nearly paid the price.

I had perfect view of the goal line attempt, heart definitely in my mouth.

Another time, that tie would have been yours.

Our goalie pulled out a banger of a game. 

Best of luck for the rest of the season. Definitely on my list of "must do" away days.

Edited by Gimpymoo
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4

10 minutes ago, MattWSM said:

yep kind of, season is never over for me until 53 reached and cant finish 6th.

Joking aside no more than 3 wins or a combination of wins and a few draws to get to 47 points should see us safe, surely even we can't f it up, can we?

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Gimpymoo said:

Well played Bristol, that was a great showing, your team gave us a good go.

Your fans were great tonight, better than most of the Premier League rabble we get.

We lacked quality and nearly paid the price.

I had perfect view of the goal line attempt, heart definitely in my mouth.

Another time, that tie would have been yours.

Our goalie pulled out a banger of a game. 

Best of luck for the rest of the season. Definitely on my list of "must do" away days.

It's Bristol City, but thank you for your kind words, we have heard what you say too many times though.

Sounds like we gave it a real go, and could have, maybe should have won that one. Well done to all the players and Manning and his staff. 

Now let's see some of that cup form in the league.

Why have we played so well in the cup? 

• Like 1

I have just watched the highlights on a bigger screen and it seems to me that the defender does just enough to shepherd Wells beyond the ball so that he is ahead of it when it comes across. 

Should really have still scored though.

• Hmmm 1

12 hours ago, The Journalist said:

Shades of the team we put out in an FA Cup replay against Middlesbrough when we were in League One and they were in the Premier League. Injuries and suspensions galore, even David Patridge got a game, and we took them to penalties!

So, you just never know…

I wasn’t that far off in the end.

Watched it on a stream and thought we gave it a really good crack.

Good performance against a complacent Forest side, and we had enough chances to have won that without it going to pens. How Wells doesn’t score, I don’t know. Cornick was reaching a bit for his chance, but if James gets his knee over the ball for his chance that bursts the net - like it did at Millwall earlier this season. 

It’s done and dusted now and we need to transfer this type of performance into the league. Only Blackburn have got fewer points than us in the last six games. That must change. 

Edited by tin
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, DaveF said:

I think we'll have all popped our clogs by the time we see City in the top flight to be fair.

I certainly will have gone, I'm 79 in August and can't see any hope of seeing them in the Prem. At least I saw them in the old First Division, so have those memories.

• Like 5
  • Robin 4

9 hours ago, Gazred said:

From the beeb...

"Sam Bell, who missed the penalty for Bristol City, was a top performer for them throughout and he is very unfortunate to be on the losing side."

Leave him alone eh.

From The Guardian:-

"Sam Bell, other­wise outstanding, saw his penalty saved by the goalkeeper Matt Turner"

"Bell’s penalty proved his only misstep on a night when he and his teammates made a striking impression."

Edited by Bizyer
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

And also pointing out that Sam Bell:

- Set up our goal

- Set up the chance for Wells

- Made a goal saving tackle in extra-time 

"Weak mentality" tho apparently... 

yeah amazing how one failure makes certain people on here forget all this!

25 minutes ago, Bizyer said:

From The Guardian:-

"Sam Bell, other­wise outstanding, saw his penalty saved by the goalkeeper Matt Turner"

"Bell’s penalty proved his only misstep on a night when he and his teammates made a striking impression."

People started to write him off recently so I’m glad he had a good game. Shame about the penalty, hopefully he uses it as motivation 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hinsleburg said:

Apologies if it's been done to death on this thread but was VAR in use last night?

Be interested in seeing the Forest goal from another angle and what part of the body it came off...

It looked like the arm to me the ball changed direction after hitting his arm