IGNORED

George Tanner

Davefevs

I posted earlier that he was excellent in every part of the pitch today, he has become a very valuable member of the squad. We always seem to struggle with right backs, in comparison to left backs but he is becoming an exception.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Thought he was excellent WITH the ball today.  Seemed to want to attack his man and with success too.  Has developed into a very tidy Championship performer.

On the money this time Dave,probably his best performance and he’s had a few,forget about he might not be able to cross a ball this lad can defend 

Incredibly happy for George Tanner, on the pitch for a chunk of the season has been hard for him but recently he has looked incredible and I really hope this continues for him. I think right now Atkinson will find it hard to come into the back 3 and will have to work very hard to get there.

25 minutes ago, petehinton said:

My MOTM today by far. Having McCrorie back is probably the safety net, and also competition for him to step up, he so greatly needed. 

McCrorie has made a massive impact on George’s performance the competition he needed and has risen too with aplomb 

So much of what he does is unnoticed because it isn’t eye catching but he has developed massively this season for me

His confidence moving forward is improving but defensively whether one on one, breaking up play or sometimes just knocking it out rather than over play in a dangerous position is outstanding so his decision making gets better month on month

I remember his screamer of a shot against Sheff Utd a few years ago that hit the post so hopefully he’ll have a pop again soon!

• Like 1

Just to put it in context, Tanner cost around the same as a Tilson. Mental how good he's been for that price.

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’m shocked, I tell thee, I’m shocked. 🤣

shocked philip j fry GIF

2 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

Delighted for him - something very likeable about him 

Quiet , unassuming , zero ego , and gets his head down and gets on with it - has settled and improved bit by bit

Good on him and an excellent piece of recruitment 

That goes for a lot of our lads tbf,the big Bertie bollox don’t last down here now 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Thought he was excellent WITH the ball today.  Seemed to want to attack his man and with success too.  Has developed into a very tidy Championship performer.

Where has the real George Tanner gone? Up until around 2 months ago, he was hesitant andnegative going forward. Since then, and certainly since McCrorie returned he has , without doubt been our most improved player. Well done that man.

Edited by A Horse With No Name

9 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Where has the real George Tanner gone? Up until around 2 months ago, he was hesitant andnegative going forward. Since then, and certainly since McCrorie returned he has , without doubt been our most improved player. Well done that man.

You've answered your own question.

Tanner so much better with McCrorie. He can get forward knowing the pass (forward) is on, or the space will open up with the run.

Was particularly depressing seeing him trying to get forward with Weimann constantly drifting infield away from him, no pass, no space. 

4 hours ago, Loosey Boy said:

Getting better and better - defends well…..just need him to continue improving his attacking part of his game 👍

What a snip at £300k

Nigel worked with a budget and delivered so well in the market. Would have loved him to have had the LJ money, I’m convinced he would have got us to the play offs. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

14 hours ago, Davefevs said:

He has come on alot since Manning come in! Maybe he just needed the proper on the grass 1 to 1 coaching I have been his biggest critic but love what I'm seeing from him now looks a totally different player 

Edited by BCFC31
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, BCFC31 said:

He has come on alot since Manning come in! Maybe he just needed the proper on the grass 1 to 1 coaching I have been his biggest critic but love what I'm seeing from him now looks a totally different player 

I’ve argued he’s been steady with the ball all season.  Yesterday was nice to see him take on his man, that gives his opposing defender something different to think about.

• Like 1

Whilst I agree with the praise Tanner is getting for his overall performance, I do think he could've prevented their goal. It looked to me like he was poised to intercept the cross but for some reason pulls out. Perhaps he had a poor call from his teammates or a dodgy unsportsmanlike call to leave it from the Boro player who took the shot.

Another solid performance from George tonight.

Took stick earlier in the season for the passing backward which I thought at the time was harsh as I think his options were often limited.

But tonight he was solid defensively but also made some driving runs forward and attacked more than normal.

Didn’t do a bad job at left back either when he moved over.

A really good guy to have in the squad I think

42 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

Took stick earlier in the season for the passing backward which I thought at the time was harsh as I think his options were often limited.

I was highly critical of Tanner and backward play (albeit noting that his options in front were often non-existent). Just wished then, that he would take it and run with it. 

This is now emerging as part of his game. Solid performance from a young man I am beginning to trust to do the right thing. Some credit to Vyner too....he often prompts and keeps him right! 

I love George Tanner. If I was the type to get a player's name on the back of the shirt, then he'd be in the reckoning. Wholehearted commitment, brilliant one on one defending, getting better going forwards and you can guarantee he's giving absolutely everything. Improving game by game, didn't cost much, no ego. The kind of player you want at your club when you want everyone to be giving their all for the badge. Forza George Tanner. Forza East Enders (might have had an ale or 6). 

Edited by dazza247
  • Like 1

He’s one of those consistent 7/10 players who never lets you down. Very unlucky with the Pen against him yesterday but did everything well especially when put under pressure. Bit of an unsung hero and goes under the radar but he’s developed into a very good RB and another tick in the box for the analyst’s & recruitment team who saw his potential 

• Like 9

I thought he was excellent yesterday. Sykes, although not really achieving much, was able to play with more freedom because of how good George was. I've if his best games for us I thought. Really coming into his own 

• Like 4

If he could somehow develop a killer long ball/diag, the confidence and/or the licence to play them teams will not be able to give him as much space as they do and our build-up play would get stronger. It's the only thing stopping him from going from a good player to a great player. 

Edited by MythikRobins

I only manage to get to a handful of games a season, guaranteed someone sat next to me will be moaning about Tanner’s lack of forward passing when I do go, Saturday was no exception.

Never understood it, he’s always been a solid and reliable performer. In fact I took my brother in law with me who’s an Arsenal fan and he was full of praise for GT.

• Like 2

I remember when we signed him a Carlisle fan I know was shocked, he was surprised a team like us in the Championship were interested in signing him. He didn't think he was a bad player or anything, he liked him, just didn't think he would have been signed by a Championship club.

So even in League Two GT's quality went a bit unnoticed!

1 hour ago, Jazzy said:

I only manage to get to a handful of games a season, guaranteed someone sat next to me will be moaning about Tanner’s lack of forward passing when I do go, Saturday was no exception.

Never understood it, he’s always been a solid and reliable performer. In fact I took my brother in law with me who’s an Arsenal fan and he was full of praise for GT.

He needs options ahead of him, was getting pelters last season when the winger in front of him would be hiding behind a full back.

Very solid defender, I really like him. Got time on our side regarding his contract too.

McCrorie is a wingback, Tanner is a fuuback. George has been playing very well of late. He is really good in one on one situations and his positional sense has seen him make any number of last ditch tackles and clearances. Unlike when he first arrived he's not easily knocked off the ball now. On Saturday though I noticed that his forward passing had significantly improved and when he's fit Ross could have a job getting a game. 

• Like 1

I think he had a bit of a stinker v Millwall, his normal good tackles & clearances were not quite as effective or went as far or gave possession away too close to our box.

But I do like him, Mr dependable and as others have said, 1v1 is probably the best in the club.

The two mistakes from the Millwall game that spring to mind were him cutting in off the wing halfway inside the opposition half and running into trouble, leading to a breakaway.

He also gave away a free kick in a dangerous area outside our box with a bit of a Joe Williams tackle.

The pen was never a pen, although you could argue he wasn't in control of the situation (harsh). 

Besides that, solid as usual. 

• Confused 1

On 10/02/2024 at 18:38, petehinton said:

My MOTM today by far. Having McCrorie back is probably the safety net, and also competition for him to step up, he so greatly needed. 

Here is an odd thing I learned recently: someone owns the trademark to "Man of the Match" and wanted to bill the likes of Sky for royalties, so Sky has started to use "Player of the Match" as a phrase.   Match of the Day still uses "Man of the Match", so does that mean the BBC is paying the royalties?

Doesn't really have any right to be as good as he is at this level. Wasn't he viewed as a steady League 2 player at Carlisle, with no real fanfare? I certainly don't remember any competition for his signature. And in no time, he's a perfectly established performer two levels higher. Good on him.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, grifty said:

I think he had a bit of a stinker v Millwall, his normal good tackles & clearances were not quite as effective or went as far or gave possession away too close to our box.

But I do like him, Mr dependable and as others have said, 1v1 is probably the best in the club.

I'm amazed at the praise levelled here when he had an OK game but was nowhere near his best.  The penalty was unfortunate but Watmore wasn't marked and had a free shot when GT was our nearest player.

1 hour ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

McCrorie is a wingback, Tanner is a fuuback. George has been playing very well of late. He is really good in one on one situations and his positional sense has seen him make any number of last ditch tackles and clearances. Unlike when he first arrived he's not easily knocked off the ball now. On Saturday though I noticed that his forward passing had significantly improved and when he's fit Ross could have a job getting a game. 

His forward passing seems to be improving quickly, there was one occasion on saturday where he played a sharp inside forward pass that he wouldn't have attempted before, it would have gone side or back.  I think he could be a very valuable player by the end of this season.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

Here is an odd thing I learned recently: someone owns the trademark to "Man of the Match" and wanted to bill the likes of Sky for royalties, so Sky has started to use "Player of the Match" as a phrase.   Match of the Day still uses "Man of the Match", so does that mean the BBC is paying the royalties?

If the BBC changed from “man of the match” to “player of the match” they’d probably be called woke by some. It would be bonkers if that was a reason but you never know in this country at the moment.

Back on topic I like Tanner he has become a very reliable solid fullback, will be interesting to see how he can further develop his offensive play.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Toffee dog said:

If the BBC changed from “man of the match” to “player of the match” they’d probably be called woke by some. It would be bonkers if that was a reason but you never know in this country at the moment.

Back on topic I like Tanner he has become a very reliable solid fullback, will be interesting to see how he can further develop his offensive play.

Someone really does own the rights, they paid good money for it.  Good to know MOTD doesn't pay for a phrase. 

Tanner is a tidy player though he does have bad games, but then so did Ayling and he's has done ok to be fair.  As long as the bad games are few and good game many jobs a gooden.

1 hour ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

I own the trademark 'man of the match ' ! You've used it twice therefore you owe me 20 quid. I'll meet you behind the falafel stall at the next home game,cash or cheque are acceptable.

• Haha 3

27 minutes ago, Kibs said:

Wasn’t it Tanner who played the ball into Bird for the third goal? 

A great ball that I’d not normally associate with Tanner. 

Yes it was - Bird stepped over it and Fally then played the one two with Bird. 

1 hour ago, Kibs said:

Wasn’t it Tanner who played the ball into Bird for the third goal? 

A great ball that I’d not normally associate with Tanner. 

His header to Mayulu last week too…ok their defender had a hand in it too! 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gimme Shelton said:

I own the trademark 'man of the match ' ! You've used it twice therefore you owe me 20 quid. I'll meet you behind the falafel stall at the next home game,cash or cheque are acceptable.

I own the trademark for 'you owe me 20 quid', so I'll have half of that 20 (or 2 pints of cider).

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

Partially correct. Man of the match is indeed trademarked, but it's highly unlikely that's why sky use "player of the match", given that MOTM Ltd also own a trademark on that phrase as well. 

• Like 1

Jury is still out for me! Guess used to exciting wing backs over the years and a lot of his good work goes unnoticed. Does tend to panic once breaching the half way line and was a massive source of frustration for me last year in the midst of our sideways and backwards rut. Will be good backup once mcrorie is back or in a 5.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Lee Trundles LeftTit said:

Jury is still out for me! Guess used to exciting wing backs over the years and a lot of his good work goes unnoticed. Does tend to panic once breaching the half way line and was a massive source of frustration for me last year in the midst of our sideways and backwards rut. Will be good backup once mcrorie is back or in a 5.

Weird thing about McCroie is he seems to get better in people’s minds every time he’s injured 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, East Londoner said:

Weird thing about McCroie is he seems to get better in people’s minds every time he’s injured 

I think that applies to a lot of players to be fair.  However, in Ross's case I think we need to view last season as extended rehabilitation from a horrendous injury & see how he does this time around.

I'm more than happy with GT, his primary job is to defend & he's v accomplished at that. Hopefully with better movement ahead of them, a lot of our team will look better passers this season.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Lee Trundles LeftTit said:

At least GT can defend. I'll take him every day of the week over McCrorie. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, robin_unreliant said:

At least GT can defend. I'll take him every day of the week over McCrorie. 

Agreed, McCrorie has high energy levels, good athlete, but to me often caught out of position defensively and when attacking has a bit of a history of slamming the ball into the side netting when he should be squaring it to a team mate. If we continue with a back 4, then it's Tanner over McCrorie every time for me. 

• Like 2

On 19/08/2024 at 11:03, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

McCrorie is a wingback, Tanner is a fullback.

This is roughly my view too.

Tanner is a bit better defensively and generally a "safer" option. Probably the better option on the right hand side of a back 3.

McCrorie is a better athlete and offers a bit more going forward. Probably the better option as a RWB.

If playing a back 4, I suppose which of the 2 you pick at RB depends on how conservative/aggressive you want to be. Tanner at RB also gives you the option to switch to a back 3 mid-game slightly more easily (as he can slot in a CB).