IGNORED

Bristol Gigs & Festivals

RedM

On 19/06/2024 at 11:29, Sir Geoff said:

Hope you enjoyed Taylor last night, in Cardiff. I went with one of my daughters and thought it was one of the most amazing concerts I have ever been too. I am a veteren of over 300 concerts worldwide including Zeppelin, Queen, Rod, Bruce, Rolling Stones all at their peak. Last night was up there in my top 5. 3 1/2 hours of pure entertainment.

On 19/06/2024 at 13:42, RedM said:

I felt the same. It's an amazing show considering it's pretty much only her for a lot of the time. Yes she has dancers and musicians but there really isn't any hiding place for her, and she was flawless. 

So yes I CAN see what all the hype is about!

I took my daughter to the Taylor Swift concert in Cardiff. She certainly knows how to put on a show. Some of the mid-tempo songs I didn’t know dragged a little, but songs I do know (like Love Story) she did brilliantly. The crowd were captivated throughout and sang along to every word of every song - the atmosphere was amazing. 

Getting out of Cardiff on the train was straightforward - queues at the station were really well-organised. 

• Like 1

On 19/06/2024 at 20:33, DolmanGaz said:

hoping they play a few songs off the first 2 albums, in a 2 hour set... but bracing myself for the worst. They only played 1 song from the first 2 albums in their last gig, be interesting to see what they play at Leeds this evening! Should still be a top gig though...

27 songs they played. 

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/kings-of-leon/2024/first-direct-arena-leeds-england-3ab89f7.html

On 19/06/2024 at 23:06, zombie said:

They've been offering them to NHS for well over a week for free, they only have to pay booking. My partner is a nurse, we live local, they couldn't pay us to go 😁

Sold around 8k I heard.

KOL around 12k

Wrong artists, wrong time and misjudged the price.

Think they ballsed up with KOL, only selling on one site when rest of the tour on ticketmaster. They did put them on there but too late. 

People seem to be having a great time though. I don't think much of the music so far, but people are loving it, surprisingly. 

The concourses are a mess though, floors so sticky everywhere. Shame to see it like this, rubbish everywhere. Staff have been brilliant though, working very hard but concerts are tough with the sheer volume of people.

Nice chill vibe though which I didn't expect. Maybe we didn't hit the numbers, but I don't think it has been unsuccessful as such.

Oh, and yes I've used the men's toilets today 😆

IMG_20240622_211838.jpg

IMG_20240622_211834.jpg

IMG_20240622_211830.jpg

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

What pictures have you been looking at? The place was empty. 

I'd like to have gone but it was far too expensive. 

It wasn’t empty however it’s probably fallen short of the organisers expectation. 

They need to address the female toilet situation at these events. Saw two young girls using the male urinals at one point — some skills I must say. 

Music was good. Can’t beat a bit of old school RnB/Garage. 

Partner and I went yesterday. Although we enjoyed most of the music. We didn’t enjoy the environment.

As @RedM pointed out. Horrible sticky floors everywhere. People pushing past you constantly, throwing drinks on the floor, a lot of screaming from young girls, cigarettes, vapes and even cannabis being smoked everywhere. 

Perhaps it’s just me getting older. But the generation coming through seem to lack a lot of respect and don’t know how to behave in public. We’ve agreed that for future music events to choose the seating area option if possible. 

• Like 3

I enjoyed it, I didn’t get there until just before Jess Glynne was on, but was there until the end. Quite a mix of people, I felt very old and very overdressed looking around some of the time! The amount of drunk people was quite shocking, I never get why you pay all that money, and then you’re so off your face you won’t remember it! I lost count of the amount of people we saw falling down the stairs! Food and drink prices were off the scale, but that’s to be expected. The performances themselves were good, sound and staging were great. On the whole I’m very glad I went as I wanted to see the artists I got there for, and wasn’t let down in that aspect.  The stands looked a bit empty because people were just being allowed access to the pitch, rather than staying in the seats they had paid for. 

IMG_4347.jpeg

• Like 2

I really don't like Craig David at all, but to be fair he did lift the crowd after the awful DJ Spoony orchestra thing. I thought much of the crowd would be here for him and would disappear.

Tbf Ne yo was really good and the crowd stayed and loved him. As I said everyone was having a great time.

I did see lots of drunkenness and vaping and stuff too. We had pitch standing but moved (legally) to the Lansdown and away from all that which I agree spoils the experience. 

IMG_20240622_225009.jpg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RedM said:

I really don't like Craig David at all, but to be fair he did lift the crowd after the awful DJ Spoony orchestra thing. I thought much of the crowd would be here for him and would disappear.

Tbf Ne yo was really good and the crowd stayed and loved him. As I said everyone was having a great time.

I did see lots of drunkenness and vaping and stuff too. We had pitch standing but moved (legally) to the Lansdown and away from all that which I agree spoils the experience. 

IMG_20240622_225009.jpg

Different tastes I suppose, as I thought DJ spoony was very good. 

• Like 1

Traffic seemed okay after too, but we are used to bigger football match attendances I think.

Got to say though, for anyone who hasn't been (unlikely I know on a football forum) that Wembley is a right pain in the ass to get away from, on the tube at least. Over 2 hours after the concert we were still in the queue.

All I wanted to do was get back to the hotel. There were frequent tubes but just the sheer volume of people being funnelled into one station is ridiculous. The crowd is managed until you get to the steps and into the station and then it's a mad squash crush and free for all. 

Just a warning for anyone who has never been, or has kids with them etc. We hung about the stadium after, went to get something to eat and allowed 2 hours, at it was still manic. I was glad at least to be staying in London and not stressing about catching transport back to Bristol. 

14 minutes ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

Different tastes I suppose, as I thought DJ spoony was very good. 

I remember shouting “it’s ACTUAL Shola Ama!” when she came on! I thought he was alright as well, although it was quite a dip in energy after Dizzee Rascal made the stadium literally shake! :D 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, The Coach said:

Partner and I went yesterday. Although we enjoyed most of the music. We didn’t enjoy the environment.

As @RedM pointed out. Horrible sticky floors everywhere. People pushing past you constantly, throwing drinks on the floor, a lot of screaming from young girls, cigarettes, vapes and even cannabis being smoked everywhere. 

Perhaps it’s just me getting older. But the generation coming through seem to lack a lot of respect and don’t know how to behave in public. We’ve agreed that for future music events to choose the seating area option if possible. 

I doubt very much this generation is any different to your generation 

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, RedM said:

Traffic seemed okay after too, but we are used to bigger football match attendances I think.

Got to say though, for anyone who hasn't been (unlikely I know on a football forum) that Wembley is a right pain in the ass to get away from, on the tube at least. Over 2 hours after the concert we were still in the queue.

All I wanted to do was get back to the hotel. There were frequent tubes but just the sheer volume of people being funnelled into one station is ridiculous. The crowd is managed until you get to the steps and into the station and then it's a mad squash crush and free for all. 

Just a warning for anyone who has never been, or has kids with them etc. We hung about the stadium after, went to get something to eat and allowed 2 hours, at it was still manic. I was glad at least to be staying in London and not stressing about catching transport back to Bristol. 

Last concert at Wembley, someone told me to stay in Higher Wycombe. Catch the train and it’s a few stops to Wembley. And short queue of about 20-30 minutes out. 

One thing to watch out for though. I was in charge of booking . Com and found what I thought was a bargain. When we got there it was the sort of hotel that also charges per hour. Let’s just say my wife, wasn’t too happy and  didn’t want to stay longer than a few minutes till she found a travel lodge. So I’m now banned from booking places now 😉

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, The Coach said:

Maybe live music events aren't for you gramps. Only joking, perhaps a classical music performance would work for you because they are seated events and it is highly unlikely anyone will be smoking there, especially not cannabis. I'm guessing you are a bit older so it might be time to get in to gardening and crosswords. Take it easy old timer, I ain't cutting my hair or wearing no suit. And I'll dance how I goddamn want to. 

All the best, with warm regards to you and a blanket for your lap. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, The Coach said:

It's subjective I guess really isn't it! Definitely does sound like seated would be for you.

Most of what you've listed is to be expected though and always has been, at least no one was moshing at yours! And to be fair I can't remember the last time I went to a gig and didn't smell weed but can't say it really bothers me. Looking at the lineup, it seems pretty par for the course, from both the crowd and most likely the artists.

• Admin
5 hours ago, RedM said:

The key to Wembley is to arrive via the tube at Wembley Park and leave via the train at Wembley Stadium Station 

Never any hassle getting back to Central London afterwards 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, phantom said:

The key to Wembley is to arrive via the tube at Wembley Park and leave via the train at Wembley Stadium Station 

Never any hassle getting back to Central London afterwards 

I thought there had to be a better way but didn't get round to working it out. We were a bit pushed for time but got there early enough to avoid the rush, and late enough to avoid all the people who wanted to queue early. All the transport type Apps suggested taking the tube to Wembley Park. I didn't consider looking at an ordinary train if I'm honest, but thank you I certainly will look into it if I go there again.

I guess almost 89,000 people leaving the stadium pretty much at once is a strain. 

37 minutes ago, DolmanGaz said:

just back from KOL, superb gig. really nice atmosphere in the crowd too...

dolman and SS fairly full, lansdown rather empty, but was told standing sold out? Lots of space at the back if true... 

Yep, enjoyed it. Sound somewhat distorted though.

14 hours ago, Frankie_Red said:

About half the tickets sold for KOL tonight according to the steward on the gate as I arrived. So I’m guessing around 13,000 

Less people than the previous day?

25 minutes ago, phantom said:

Thought it said earlier in thread midweek sales last week were 8k for BS3 and 12k for KOL

Neither seemed that high what was it for take that?

18 hours ago, The dastardly red said:

Maybe live music events aren't for you gramps. Only joking, perhaps a classical music performance would work for you because they are seated events and it is highly unlikely anyone will be smoking there, especially not cannabis. I'm guessing you are a bit older so it might be time to get in to gardening and crosswords. Take it easy old timer, I ain't cutting my hair or wearing no suit. And I'll dance how I goddamn want to. 

All the best, with warm regards to you and a blanket for your lap. 

Enjoyed the day , not my thing really but Mrs loved it , orchestra set was a lowlight for me , has I have seen the Pete tong Ibiza at the O2 , that is brilliant , DJ spoony should of been one of the first acts , but besides that brilliant day .

• Like 2