IGNORED

Leicester City at home match thread

1 hour ago, Genghis Khan's pants said:

I'm no football tactician - there are folks on here far better placed to talk of such things than me but nairy a pass sideways across the back today in comparison to how it's been alot in recent (especially home games) times - seemed to be more positive movement to receive balls and push forwards - thought Pring and Roberts worked well and dare I say I really enjoyed today's game - just need to "back it up" in the next few games and who knows - I'm not convinced by Manning but fair play today.

I think you're right.

Been saying on here before that the passing round the back isn't what Manning had asked the players to do. He's confirmed it himself numerous times and you can see that it's a problem with the individuals not backing themselves to pass forwards. Tanner still had a major issue with it. Vyner's confidence on the ball is erratic. But the a-game instruction is clearly to believe in yourself and pass forwards and has been for a while. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, cellist said:

Be very worried if I was a Leicester fan. Showing every sign of bottling it

I’ve just read their forum and from before our goal, they were demanding manager be sacked and a complete overhaul of their board. 2nd in the table, probably will go up…puts Otib into perspective when we gain an L. Modern day football fans eh ffs! 

4 hours ago, George Rs said:

Saw a post on twitter saying the cost of their current squad is £241million. 

Absolutely bonkers! 

Completely agree it's bonkers that they didn't round it down to £240m.

5 minutes ago, San Fran City said:

I’ve just read their forum and from before our goal, they were demanding manager be sacked and a complete overhaul of their board. 2nd in the table, probably will go up…puts Otib into perspective when we gain an L. Modern day football fans eh ffs! 

It’s all relative though - with their league position and wage budget - you’d expect automatic promotion fairly stress free.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, San Fran City said:

Not really . They’ve won the prem & FA  cup in the last ten years , it’s all relative . They should never of got relegated with the squad they had. They were pissing the league a few weeks ago & now could be heading for the play offs & the knock on from that if they don’t go up 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

I hope all those prior to the match shouting about they can't be bothered watching it or doing something else instead enjoyed what they did instead.

Because they missed an excellent game and very good performance, to those who said yes but we were lucky, yes luck plays a part, but you chose to ignore the chances we also missed and a terrible ref who denied us possible 3 penalties.

Not pretending everything is rosy, but encouraging after the recent drose.

Agree no way we were lucky , had as many chances as them and 2 out of 3 were deffo pens 

• Like 3

Thought James made a massive difference today.

To be fair Leicester should have been two or three ahead before we scored, but it’s about taking your chances.

Pleased with the win but whatever the result I would have clapped them off, all we ask if that they put a shift in and do their best, and they did just that.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, LocoPal said:

Good to hear Nigel Pearson in a good mood, having a laugh & punditrying🤔, very nicely. Shame we never experienced him in this looser, well humoured mood. He looks well!👍 

Someone on the Leicester forum wants him back. One of the comments was “mass clear out required, total rebuild”. I’ve heard that before somewhere 

IMG_5710.jpeg

2 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Someone on the Leicester forum wants him back. One of the comments was “mass clear out required, total rebuild”. I’ve heard that before somewhere 

IMG_5710.jpeg

I'd like to see it

What did Sky commentators say about us out of interest, fwiw?

I see Nixon said "If Vardy across his chance, Leicester win". We were quite dominant first half though and should have had one of not 2 penalties.

Of course Leicester fans or some are praising the call not to award a penalty but they should know about soft stuff given they have won 12 in the League this season which must be approaching modern record territory at this level.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 2

What I do find interesting is that we've had a couple of tricky patches with a back 3 laready this season and everyone (most of OTIB) was screaming for a return to a back 4. 

Now what do we want?!

6 hours ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Which do we believe?

The propaganda or the evidence of our own eyes?

Thought the attendance was alright today even accounting for the usual non attendees, certainly better than vs Swansea but Leicester at Home isn't the best benchmark really.

At every ground for every side, for a while now it has always been total tickets sold as to the actual attendance inclusive of ST Holders.

7 hours ago, Pip King said:

Apologies if it's been discussed on the thread already but is TGH injured? Or suspended maybe 

After an intense week of physical training (Liam Manning said this) he then picked up a calf injury on Tuesday. 

Forget about the injury however. Jon will be delighted that he's not become deconditioned.

Edited by W-S-M Seagull
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, pillred said:

On the day I thought that was the best they could be because of the way we played, all this they are just strolling, I don't buy.

I thought at the time I posted that it looked like Leicester could step up another gear. That opinion might have been swayed by how slow we’ve been to start the second half recently. There were definitely signs of it in the first half with Vardy twice going close. 

But Liam was proactive in his changes and we took the game to them more. Definitely more down to our good performance than Leicester simply being poor. Credit to Liam and the team for that. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mozo said:

What I do find interesting is that we've had a couple of tricky patches with a back 3 laready this season and everyone (most of OTIB) was screaming for a return to a back 4. 

Now what do we want?!

I’m happy with a back 5, as I am with a back 4. It’s more about what’s in front of the defence. Twine, whilst not at his best, did add some creativity and meant Knight could play alongside James in the centre. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, David Brent said:

I thought at the time I posted that it looked like Leicester could step up another gear. That opinion might have been swayed by how slow we’ve been to start the second half recently. There were definitely signs of it in the first half with Vardy twice going close. 

But Liam was proactive in his changes and we took the game to them more. Definitely more down to our good performance than Leicester simply being poor. Credit to Liam and the team for that. 

It was noticeable that his substitutions had a positive effect yesterday. The fact it's noticeable is concerning BUT they did work yesterday. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, David Brent said:

The thing that did impress me yesterday is that unlike Leeds we weren’t to total awe of them and when given the opportunity we did actually have a proper go at them even when 1 up , I thought we saw the game out pretty well and looked the more likely to get a second goal than them get an equaliser 

• Like 3

I look back at yesterday, had to do some difficult DIY at home, a bit out of my comfort zone TBH.

Watched the City win and afterwards the feel good factor carried over into my DIY, holes were patiently drilled and levels carefully checked. Thanks City, your win and general performance lifted my spirits and contributed to a decent job.

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, redkev said:

The thing that did impress me yesterday is that unlike Leeds we weren’t to total awe of them and when given the opportunity we did actually have a proper go at them even when 1 up , I thought we saw the game out pretty well and looked the more likely to get a second goal than them get an equaliser 

We started with intent too.

Just checked, first 20 we had 8 shots. Last Home game v Swansea we didn't have one in the entire first hour.

We pressed high, we used the ball well when we had it..tactically excellent too.

Of course Maresca says they'd have win if not got missed chances, he presumably neglects to mention the double save by Hermansen, the 2 penalties we should've had at 0-0, the McCrorie side netting.

Didn't Mehmeti have a good chance at 0-0 too or a near miss.

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Just checked, first 20 we had 8 shots. Last Home game v Swansea we didn't have one in the entire first hour.

We pressed high, we used the ball well when we had it..tactically excellent too.

Of course Maresca says they'd have win if not got missed chances, he presumably neglects to mention the double save by Hermansen, the 2 penalties we should've had at 0-0, the McCrorie side netting.

In fairness Maresca and his more detailed comments gave us more credit than the headline ones I read..

https://www.bristolworld.com/sport/football/bristol-city/bristol-city-v-leicester-city-enzo-marseca-liam-manning-jamie-vardy-anis-mehmeti-4574593

12 hours ago, mozo said:

Now what do we want?!

What does that tell you?

(apart from OTIB is fickle)

Formations aren’t the be-all or end-all.  We’ve won and lost with each.

Yesterday was won through intent, purpose, physicality, speed.

1 hour ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

I look back at yesterday, had to do some difficult DIY at home, a bit out of my comfort zone TBH.

Watched the City win and afterwards the feel good factor carried over into my DIY, holes were patiently drilled and levels carefully checked. Thanks City, your win and general performance lifted my spirits and contributed to a decent job.

Did your round pegs fit into your round holes?

57 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Incredible the chalk and cheese of those 2 games, especially the ability level of both opponents.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

13 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Of course Leicester fans or some are praising the call not to award a penalty but they should know about soft stuff given they have won 12 in the League this season which must be approaching modern record territory at this level.

Unsurpriding really as their number 10 and 18 threw themselves to the turf as soon as they felt the slightest contact.

The ref wasn't great but at least he waved away their theatrics. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, spudski said:

If you think we've got problems on this forum re reactions...then read the post match comments on the Foxes forum. 😂

https://www.foxestalk.co.uk/topic/134410-bristol-city-1-0-lcfc-post-match-thread/#comments

Oh dear, I would mind having their problems. Typical overreaction from a Premier league spoilt entitled fan base. ORIB would be in meltdown if the roles were reversed and Conway missed the numerous sitters Vardy missed yesterday.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

18 minutes ago, phantom said:

Still unbelievable that Vardy didn't score here 

20240330_120704.jpg

20240330_120721.jpg

Watching at the time, I was so shocked he didn't score it took me several seconds to appreciate the quality of the save.

I know Max isn't perfect but some of his shot stops this season have been world class. If that save was made by a top PL keeper it would have been talked about a lot more.

• Like 7

Reading those Leicester comments, from fans who's team is 2nd in the league, has a recent Premier League Title win, FA Cup win and Champions League football makes you realise that as City fans we are fully entitled to be fed up with our lot. I'd snap their hands off for what they've experienced the past 10 years.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

Unsurpriding really as their number 10 and 18 threw themselves to the turf as soon as they felt the slightest contact.

The ref wasn't great but at least he waved away their theatrics. 

Some neutral on Twitter and I'd forgotten a bit said both their wide men should have been booked for diving. I don't think either were.

He didn't give us a great amount.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Some neutral on Twitter and I'd forgotten a bit said both their wide men should have been booed for diving. I don't think either were.

He didn't give us a great amount.

I definitely booed them!

• Like 1

On 29/03/2024 at 12:59, OneTeamInBristol said:

Choudhury one of those players you hope gets a career ender. 

I remember him at AG last season, for Watford. I think it was Choudhury anyway forget what exactly he did but he got quite the send-off from the Dolman especially.

My mistake it was Gosling, but Choudhury definitely played a role.

Some of the match reports are a bit one eyed. A lot in respect of Leicester in the Times.

Double save by Hermansen not mentioned.

McCrorie hitting side netting at 0-0 not mentioned.

Penalty shout was mentioned, the Report said the one on Conway should have been.

It also mentioned us in the sense of:

"It was a result which will have gone some way to winning over the localswho are struggling to forgive Bristol City for sacking the former Leicester manager Nigel Pearson and bringing in Liam Manning, who hailed a "thoroughly deserved win".

Guardian report is a bit better although an interesting snippet.

Screenshot_20240330-220521_Chrome.thumb.jpg.dcdeb573064bcf05bf93f22c136296df.jpg

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Some of the match reports are a bit one eyed. A lot in respect of Leicester in the Times.

Double save by Hermansen not mentioned.

McCrorie hitting side netting at 0-0 not mentioned.

Penalty shout was mentioned, the Report said the one on Conway should have been.

It also mentioned us in the sense of:

"It was a result which will have gone some way to winning over the localswho are struggling to forgive Bristol City for sacking the former Leicester manager Nigel Pearson and bringing in Liam Manning, who hailed a "thoroughly deserved win".

Guardian report is a bit better although an interesting snippet.

Screenshot_20240330-220521_Chrome.thumb.jpg.dcdeb573064bcf05bf93f22c136296df.jpg

'An win' doesn't allay any of my doubts about the Guardian.

• Haha 1

Just now, Superjack said:

'An win' doesn't allay any of my doubts about the Guardian.

Ah yes good spot! 'An win', very sloppy of them!

Think both papers made a valid point about the pressure on Manning and the unhappiness about the actions of late October to early November.

• Like 1

On another forum the suggestion has been made that Leicester are deliberately now trying NOT to go up this season.

If they did, the points deduction would send them straight back down. By staying in the Championship, they'd still have the points deduction, but would be strong enough to get promoted and have some parachute payment still.

• Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1

50 minutes ago, 22A said:

On another forum the suggestion has been made that Leicester are deliberately now trying NOT to go up this season.

If they did, the points deduction would send them straight back down. By staying in the Championship, they'd still have the points deduction, but would be strong enough to get promoted and have some parachute payment still.

They would also be under a Business Plan or Embargo, maybe both in the Championship. Perhaps even a pre-emptive plan.

This in practice might mean..as well as points.

*Limits on wages offered to new signings.

*A cap on wages to those out of contract.

*A cap on or a block on fees for new signings.

*A cap on or a block in loan fees for new signings.

The Business Plan is designed to see q club fall within FFP moving forward and a club can either work with the League or there are more restrictive powers.

Fighting it can mean Embargo as default if failed as a holding Pattern while a Business Plan thrashed out between Club and League.

The wider FFP position is £83m in capped losses to tbis season and £61m to next.. Parachute Payments drop by £10m in the 2nd year.

If their losses for 2022-23 post FFP adjustments are or exceed £35m tbis drops to £35m, if they are below it remains that. If they are £13m or above for this year post adjustments it drops to £13m, if below it remains at that.

Those two feed into the position for 2024-25. Business Plan means put right by March or Transfer Profit post that date or RPTs removed from calculations up to that point (did for Reading) but it doesn't exempt a club from need to comply. ie you can get docked for the breach and the Business Plan fail.

ie just taking the points isn't an option as if you fail Business Plan and decline to sell by 30th June you would also be charged with breaching FFP in those circs hut that's post June 30th.

Watching the Sky highlights, that rugby tackle on Dickie is ridiculous. Made worse by the woman on Co Coms saying 6 of one half a dozen of the other ffs. Defender never once looks for the ball , and where is Dickie supposed to put his arms. He try’s to shake him off, I have a feeling that’s given if it’s Dickie on Vardy.

IMG_9547.thumb.jpeg.7a720e5fa2bb018faa395491828a3af9.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Hmmm 1

1 minute ago, 1960maaan said:

Watching the Sky highlights, that rugby tackle on Dickie is ridiculous. Made worse by the woman on Co Coms saying 6 of one half a dozen of the other ffs. Defender never once looks for the ball , and where is Dickie supposed to put his arms. He try’s to shake him off, I have a feeling that’s given if it’s Dickie on Vardy.

This type of ‘blocking’ happens at set plays pretty much every time when defending a set play. There’s very likely that the Dickie example wasn’t the only blocking going on and the referee either not seeing it or simply ignoring it is no surprise as it happens so frequently.

The Conway incident when having his shirt tugged before getting tripped was a stonewall penalty. The referee just a few yards away not awarding was a very poor decision.

Anyway - we still won the match despite the ref having a dreadful game.

10 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Agreed although one Leicester match report (fans page) think Dickie dark arts but that has to be a penalty to us.

None of the match reports elsewhere I've seen so far mentioned the Dickie one. Conway one for sure 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

That firms up in my mind it wasn’t a pen.  

The referee agreed with you Dave. Unfortunately he didn’t have benefit of VaR or a close up replay as we did on TV.

I never even noticed it as the ball went over. I just saw lots of players jostling as we do at every corner.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

This type of ‘blocking’ happens at set plays pretty much every time when defending a set play. There’s very likely that the Dickie example wasn’t the only blocking going on and the referee either not seeing it or simply ignoring it is no surprise as it happens so frequently.

The Conway incident when having his shirt tugged before getting tripped was a stonewall penalty. The referee just a few yards away not awarding was a very poor decision.

Anyway - we still won the match despite the ref having a dreadful game.

That's not blocking , as soon as you have both arms around a player it goes from blocking ( simply stopping the route of a player ) to something more akin to a Rugby tackle. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

That's not blocking , as soon as you have both arms around a player it goes from blocking ( simply stopping the route of a player ) to something more akin to a Rugby tackle. 

I agree that it was more like a rugby tackle but that type of thing happens in pretty much every game. The defender not even looking in the direction of the ball and he achieved his aim of stopping Dickie getting anywhere near the ball.

Its very difficult for any referee to award a penalty when the box is cluttered with players jostling for position.

You don't get a view of the Ref , but usually he would be just outside the area and would surely have a clear line of sight. 

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

Its very difficult for any referee to award a penalty when the box is cluttered with players jostling for position.

That's my point. With Dickie being far post it looks like the Ref would have a clear sight. They aren't surrounded by other players. Just a Ref worried about "big Club" and on TV ? I would love Ref's to come out and explain why. Even if they said , sorry I really didn't see it at the time.

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

You don't get a view of the Ref , but usually he would be just outside the area and would surely have a clear line of sight. 

That's my point. With Dickie being far post it looks like the Ref would have a clear sight. They aren't surrounded by other players. Just a Ref worried about "big Club" and on TV ? I would love Ref's to come out and explain why. Even if they said , sorry I really didn't see it at the time.

Almost every fan would want the same but FIFA, FA and PGMOL won’t allow it because they see it a devaluing the refereeing profession if he/she had to explain dodgy decisions post match.

Its a siege mentality.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Who initiated the contact? Choudhury surely although a Leicester page seemed to scoff at the idea that was a penalty. Wonder if they'd have said it if roles reversed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Who initiated the contact? Choudhury surely although a Leicester page seemed to scoff at the idea that was a penalty. Wonder if they'd have said it if roles reversed.

Dickie, eyes on the ball that is coming his way.

Choudury never looks at the ball , only one intent.

I don't understand fans/supporters who just won't acknowledge an incident as blatant as this. If I see something like this I think, well we got away with one there, you don't get anything extra for denying it. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Dickie, eyes on the ball that is coming his way.

Choudury never looks at the ball , only one intent.

I don't understand fans/supporters who just won't acknowledge an incident as blatant as this. If I see something like this I think, well we got away with one there, you don't get anything extra for denying it. 

They literally said it was a comical claim, will try and find it again.

I agree with you btw..bit of rugby, bit of all-in wrestling but a penalty surely.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I’m still not convinced Mike.

I think choudhury is trying to block Dickie with his body, but Dickie tries to drag him and at that point choudhury grabs too.

I just think it looks worse because choudhury isn’t looking at the ball.

Hopefully we’ve saved a pen for tomorrow.

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’m still not convinced Mike.

I think choudhury is trying to block Dickie with his body, but Dickie tries to drag him and at that point choudhury grabs too.

I just think it looks worse because choudhury isn’t looking at the ball.

Hopefully we’ve saved a pen for tomorrow.

Fair enough Dave, but for me if he just keeps arms out he blocks . As soon as he wraps his arms around RD it changes for me. With a block , it's part and parcel of the game and if you're quick or clever you can get around it. Being grabbed gives Dickie nowhere to go , I see no difference to a shirt pull which is given outside the area for even small tugs . 

Hope the Ref is in agreement with you tomorrow , and gives us the two we are owed from Friday . 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Fair enough Dave, but for me if he just keeps arms out he blocks . As soon as he wraps his arms around RD it changes for me. With a block , it's part and parcel of the game and if you're quick or clever you can get around it. Being grabbed gives Dickie nowhere to go , I see no difference to a shirt pull which is given outside the area for even small tugs . 

Hope the Ref is in agreement with you tomorrow , and gives us the two we are owed from Friday . 

cant see us getting any for a while unless we practice our theatricals a bit. too honest still in that respect. need to be a bit more clever in laying it on a bit

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

cant see us getting any for a while unless we practice our theatricals a bit. too honest still in that respect. need to be a bit more clever in laying it on a bit

TBH I think Conway waited until he was sure he was in the area to go down . WE still didn't get it.  Clear tug on the shorts, may have been a little contact but I'm not sure it was a Pen.

• Like 1