IGNORED

Shirt?

15 minutes ago, DaveInSA said:

Someone at the club would have approved that yellow colour. These things don’t “just get made”. And if the colour in production came out as different to the standard, then the club would have negotiated a discount and taken the stock or they would have had the opportunity to cancel the order. Happens all the time in retail - it’s standard terms.

The faded yellow look is consistent with the shirt it was supposed to hark back to wasn't it?  The 1989 version wasn't a bright yellow either (I had one it was my first City shirt)

Bristol City Away football shirt 1988 - 1990. Sponsored by ...

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

2017/18 was a pin stripe remake of the 86 kit

+

11 minutes ago, pride of the west said:

We had pin stripes 17/18 as a nod didn't we?

If we did, then I couldn't find an express mention by the club that those stripes were a rethink/nod/reimagining of any prior kit.

There are ultimately only so many designs you can do with "mostly red and a bit of white" on a kit. Add in FA kit regulations and other factors and repeat or similar designs are inevitable. I focussed on looking for instances where the club had expressly said the design was "retro" in some way.

Here's the press release from 2017 https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/new-home-kit-for-201718-revealed/

Not sure 21/22 is really a retro, all 3 kits were new styles.

I didn't say they were specifically "retro", but they did lean on historic elements in their marketing, and the marketing uses this term "a nod" to past kits.

All the adidas and puma shirts were fairly original designs, and tbf so were most of the Bristol Sport ones - 17/18 actually the exception in being retro.

Yes. I was just trying to find the last season where we didn't have any kind of retro/nod/reimagined element. 

I did not conduct a forensic or exhaustive review of our kits. I googled a bit whilst having breakfast. My methodology was not perfect.

Since then retro has had a comeback all across the board so can see why the club have done it but I agree I'd like to see something more modern next time.

Yeh 80s/90s retro is en vogue because people (like me) who were young then now have disposable income and decision making power coupled with a powerful nostalgia and desire to relive their halcyon days.

Jon, if you're reading this then announce a red and white tie-dye kit with neon trim now you coward!

Edited by ExiledAjax

2 hours ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

The faded yellow look is consistent with the shirt it was supposed to hark back to wasn't it?  The 1989 version wasn't a bright yellow either (I had one it was my first City shirt)

I don't like the faded, washed out look of any colour. Maybe it sends me a subliminal message of tiredness or worn out or something, sort of a Sunday pub team kit that hasn't changed for 10 seasons. Much prefer a strong tone of almost any colour, sends the right messages to my brain, even luminous colours like Arsenal's stripy away kit.

5 hours ago, jambodinho said:

Malaga CF released their 120th anniversary shirt this morning and it’s sold out in no time. Looks great 

IMG_9200.png

That is lovely. Might have to add it to my collection when I head there in the summer.

Recently purchased this beauty (which wouldn't look out of place as a City away shirt):

image.png

• Like 1
  • Flames 2

3 hours ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

Ha. This was probably one of my last. Loved it though. I like the new version as well, apart from the badge obviously. 

I’m calling it. We’re going rogue. Red with alternating purple and lime green circles. Purple shorts and lime green socks. 

The robin will be replaced with a tasteful picture of Mark Robins, to commemorate 22 years since our 2003 Football League Trophy win.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Would love it to not be O’neills. It’s just such poor quality.

I don't buy the kits, so I can't comment on quality, but I must say the yellow kit looks cheap. However, I do like the current black kit.

• Like 1

40% off the yellow kit being advertised last night. Wonder how many of them they ever sold? Can't say I remember seeing many.

Hope for everyone's sake the club just play it safe this year - no "nods to tradition", no "homages to the past", no "celebrations" of this or that. Call me a cynic. 

Just a good quality red shirt please. Too much to ask?

Probably end up with something from the Zak Vyner range.

• Flames 1

9 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

I don't buy the kits, so I can't comment on quality, but I must say the yellow kit looks cheap. However, I do like the current black kit.

Against Leeds our shorts looked dirty grey and nylony. I did order the black away shirt but returned it because of the quality of the cut and fabric. 
I just wish the players looked smarter in their kit, including the warm up stuff and the coaches stuff. 
The range is so disjointed with the aqua black training gear that doesn’t ‘fit in’

52 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

Right, season's effectively over. Speculation on the new kit can begin.

I'll start: red home jersey

Speculation? 

You're really going out on a limb there Sam! :whistle:

• Haha 2

I liked the commemorative kit personally so something like that

Simple with no patterns or pin stripes (not a fan, worst kit in ages for me but each to their own) as so many kits now all look the same with the big manufacturers 

We don’t have that problem obviously with O’Neils as it’s us, Wycombe and Chew Valley U18’s with a tinge of exclusivity given I’ve been trying to buy my son a goalie kit since Aug but never in stock 🤦‍♂️

It will be exactly the same as this season’s kit “in homage to our famous 5-0 win against Blackburn in 2024”.

It will cost £80 and they will make 15 of them, which will sell out within an hour. 13 will be returned because the collars are faulty. More stock will be supplied in April 2025.

Edited by ChippenhamRed
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

I’m going to show my age here, but does anyone remember in the 90s the club put four or five options for kits out in the Evening Post, and one of them was red and white halves on the shirt?

Yes. I think they did this more than once. 

2 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I’m going to show my age here, but does anyone remember in the 90s the club put four or five options for kits out in the Evening Post, and one of them was red and white halves on the shirt?

I do, but I don’t think any of them made it into production 

29 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Like Feyenoord?

• Admin
2 hours ago, SecretSam said:

Right, season's effectively over. Speculation on the new kit can begin.

Speculation has already started

On 03/04/2024 at 15:50, glastored said:

It won’t be too long before we will be wondering what next year’s kit will look like. Personally, I don’t like this season’s shirt, not being a fan of stripes. I really liked the kit worn by City when we celebrated our win over Leeds back in 1974. I liked the simplicity of it, and especially liked the deep red colour of the shirt, with no frills.

Hope City go back to the simple designs of yesteryear, or maybe I’m too nostalgic for the old days! What say you?

• Admin
1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

I believe that it quickly became apparent that people not associated with supporting City were voting and picking the worst kit

Lets be honest we would be doing the same if the sags ran a similar thing in a local paper

1 hour ago, Barrs Court Red said:

I’ll take your splat robin on the home shirt, and raise you a splat robin on a blue away shirt. 

…and I raise you a splat robin on a blue and white quarters away shirt 😱

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I really don't mind as long as it's blue.l to celebrate our glory years.

1909.jpg

...and solidarity with Everton and their fans for how unfairly they have been treated by football administrators

For breaking the same rules that applied to all premier league clubs i.e. they were cheating!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

It will be exactly the same as this season’s kit “in homage to our famous 5-0 win against Blackburn in 2024”.

It will cost £80 and they will make 15 of them, which will sell out within an hour. 13 will be returned because the collars are faulty. More stock will be supplied in April 2025.

With 4 gold stars over the crest to commemorate the wins against Blackburn, Leicester, Saints and WHam.🙂

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

It also had red and white half and half shorts, so ended up looking like red and white quarters. It was 1992, and my 12 year old self wrote in to Four Four Two to complain about it, and rhe fact it made the kit look like a red version of the gas kit, letter was published and I was told to calm down and have a cup of tea by the editor!

• Haha 1
  • Robin 1

1 hour ago, Lack of Action Man said:

On the subject of shirts, those of us who ordered a heritage shirt must be hearing about a ready for collection date soon?

Also if you were one of those who snapped up the GK jersey before I was able to - I will booooo you 😂

If you’ve got any rewards points there are some in the prize draws…

On 04/04/2024 at 07:22, ChippenhamRed said:

How about for once we don’t go retro? What’s the point in harking back to previous periods in our history all the time…when our history is so limited in terms of success?

I’d like to see a classy, minimalist design, in a deep, vibrant red, with a great fit and good quality materials, made by a proper manufacturer and sold for a reasonable price that recognises that fans are not made of money during a cost of living crisis. No dicking about with the crest.

Too much to ask? Probably.

THIS. 100%.

I am sick of 'retro' crap, harking back to when we were slightly less rubbish. Let's bloody look forwards.

AND NO HORRID COLLARS. Round neck, v-neck, just none of those pointless little wings.

Edited by SecretSam
I hate collars
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

Long as it's not templates, I still remember the Adidas Star Trek debacle. What a monstrosity that was.

I don't remember that. I hope it was during Scotty's time?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

A club at this level should not be wearing guff like O'Neill's - a lot of the lower league Scottish sides seem to wear it and that's where it belongs.  It comes to something when the days of Bristol Sport branded kit is now seen as halcyon.

No messing about, Umbro branded red/white/red for home, white/black/black away and purple/lime/white third job done 

• Like 5

I wouldn't mind us coming up with something inventive. I definitely don't want a template shirt, and certainly not Adidas who had no interest in supplying us as clearly shown by some sizes not arriving until March (and they were still sold full price), not blue which when worn in the last 50 years has proved a bad omen and for those of us not with the body of a racing snake a good range of sizes generously cut. 

17 hours ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

Deep red, simple, good quality and Kid Crayola's abomination dispensed with and replaced with a classy Bristol crest.

I actually like the new badge, although I wish it had the bridge on it

17 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

...and for those of us not with the body of a racing snake a good range of sizes generously cut. 

Are you a cyclist?

On 11/04/2024 at 09:37, Silvio Dante said:

Missed this post first time around. I remember the article in question. From memory it wasn't just the shirts up for vote but the entire kit, and the red and white halves were complimented with a mirror image of red and white halves on the shorts, making it look like quarters.

Looked at Irish league clubs for clues but my only find was that last seasons collar style is taking over their league at the moment... Hopefully this year and things not being so rushed it means o'neills can do some nice kits, thought the black kit from last season was good even if our record was poor in it.

Derry City 2024 O'Neills Home Kit - Football Shirt Culture - Latest ...

Capture83.png

gimg_7528-1.jpg

4 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

th?id=OPEC.Xt6ZMG7Fg1iZjQ474C474&o=5&pid=21.1&w=174&h=174fe1LPt1J9NJjQ474C474&o=5&pid=21.1&w=174& Peru home and away for me. But no stripes on the home kit.

We had people calling a reproduction of one of our own shirts an Arsenal shirt. I think some would go into cardiac arrest if we emulated a kit from a different country.

18 minutes ago, KegCity said:

We had people calling a reproduction of one of our own shirts an Arsenal shirt. I think some would go into cardiac arrest if we emulated a kit from a different country.

I love the Arsenal kit as well. But dont forget we wore that style of kit many times over the years.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

I love the Arsenal kit as well. But dont forget we wore that style of kit many times over the years.

Yes that's my point, we copied one of our own kits and people still moaned that it looked like another club's.

On 04/04/2024 at 14:41, Ronnie Sinclair said:

I always thought it was a weird stick to beat the club with, the colour matched what it was trying to replicate - the oddity was the sock mismatch originally

1 hour ago, Roadrunner said:

I loved that shirt, but according to this site we only ever wore it once, maybe twice if you count the adidas effort though that was never meant to be a retro re-make that was just their design template I think?

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Bristol_City/Bristol_City.htm

Would we ever do a Bedminster remake? Or were they a completely different team and nothing to do with us?

There's only so much you can do with a red shirt I guess, I wouldn't mind seeing a return to white socks with red tops.