IGNORED

FA Cup: No no, no no no no, no no no no, no no - There's no replays!

Curr Avon

https://talksport.com/football/1833524/fa-cup-replays-scrapped-changes/?utm_source=onesignal&utm_medium=push&utm_campaign=2024-04-18-Breaking-news-

FA Cup replays have been scrapped from the first-round proper as part of wholesale changes to the competition.

The current format, which has no replays from the fifth round onwards, has been extended throughout the ‘Competition Proper’ in light of changes to the calendar driven by the expanded UEFA competitions.

The changes, which also include all rounds being played on weekends and a rescheduled final before the end of the Premier League season, will come into effect from next season and run for a minimum of six seasons.

The Premier League has also agreed to pay up to an additional £33million for grassroots football.

Chief executive of the FA, Mark Bullingham said: "The Emirates FA Cup is our biggest asset and generates over 60 per cent of our revenue to invest into the game, so it is critical to secure a strong format for the future.

"This new agreement between the FA and the Premier League strengthens the Emirates FA Cup and gives this very special tournament exclusive weekends in an increasingly busy calendar.

"The new schedule ensures the magic of the Cup is protected and enhanced, while working for the whole of the English game. The longer summer period also allows a much-needed player break before the start of the next season.

"We have also agreed new funding for the grassroots game, disability football and the women’s and girls’ game. All football begins at the grassroots, and this is recognised by the Premier League with very welcome additional financial support."

Premier League chief executive, Richard Masters, added: "The Premier League is proud of the investment it provides to all levels of the game and this new agreement with the FA will see us enhance our support into grassroots football. This will improve facilities for communities and lower league clubs across the country, through the Football Foundation and Premier League Stadium Fund.

"Throughout our discussions, both parties have been committed to enhancing the scheduling of the Emirates FA Cup, a hugely important domestic competition with a storied history.

• Sad 3

Top teams play to many games 

How about getting rid of the champions league and put it back to the European Cup Champions only Straight ko That would save the big club a minimum of 6 games a season 

Oh wait  it's the small games they play to many of  Happy to play likes of Madrid Barca all day every day 

• Like 13
  • Flames 1

7 minutes ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

All because the bigger clubs wanted less fixtures, voted for more European games, so the smaller teams miss out on extra income and the bigger clubs make more.

Or banning them from flying halfway round the world to play friendlies 

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

9 minutes ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

All because the bigger clubs wanted less fixtures, voted for more European games, so the smaller teams miss out on extra income and the bigger clubs make more.

That is why I don’t understand why it’s all replays ?

Non teams relay on Round 1 and 2 ones .

13 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I've got mixed views on this.

On the one hand, I suspect most managers - including in the Championship, League One and League Two - regard replays as a bit of a pain in the arse and there are probably a lot of fans who'd appreciate getting a result on the day.

On the other hand, replays are a fantastic income generator for small clubs and there's a certain magic in smaller teams forcing major sides to a draw and an extra game - even if they ultimately lose in the replay. I feel like the main result of this will be more bigger clubs going through to the later stages and less opportunities for smaller clubs to get a money-spinning second fixture. 

Agree about the comment it will cost clubs the ‘money spinner’ replay. Not so sure it will lead to more bigger teams going through. It’s not uncommon for smaller clubs to get a replay they lose. If instead of that it’s a more evenly balanced penalty shoot out I would expect more bigger teams to go out. Need to hold them once, not twice?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Right decision - extra time and penalties. Overdue in my view.

On the flip side it can be quite a revenue earner for some of the smaller clubs.

• Like 3

• Admin
15 minutes ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

Interesting, but how many top clubs consistently progress to the later rounds?

Also many top clubs, especially Man City they play full strength sides all the way through so they are clearly not worried

What it does take away is the potential money maker from an additional game, but personally I like the idea of playing to a result on the day

It also means no stupid midweek trips

1 minute ago, BigTone said:

On the flip side it can be quite a revenue earner for some of the smaller clubs.

Agree, but ultimately how often does a smaller club get a replay with a big club?

The fact that it's announced in conjunction with a £33m contract between the FA and the PL tells you exactly which clubs have asked for the changes.

PL clubs don't want fewer fixtures. They want fewer non-profitable, unwatched fixtures. 

Scrapping replays delivers greater certainty over the winter fixture list, and should allow a little expansion of say the UEFA conference league or some other manner of helping a couple more PL clubs squeeze into Europe.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 3
  • Flames 1

26 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

Aye. Anything to save Bernardo Silva from embarrassing himself again.

Worst penalty since Diana Ross at the '94 World Cup.

• Haha 4
  • Flames 1

7 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Total bullshit. 

We'd have not had that fantastic night at Ashton Gate against West Ham without replays. That memory would not now exist. 

It would have been a oretty lucrative night for us too. 

This is a horrendous decision. 

Might have beaten them on pens at their place. Even more magical for the 7000 or so away fans.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Might have beaten them on pens at their place. Even more magical for the 7000 or so away fans.

Yes, but without the extra spondoolies in the bank.

25 minutes ago, BigTone said:

I’m sure that was taken in consideration when the ‘no replays’ was decided. Ultimately it’s a ‘swings and roundabouts’ dilemma.

Bigger clubs definitely don’t want replays with the PL and European matches plus the League and FA cup fixtures. Manning already whinges about the relentless Championship schedule and I’m sure he’ll be delighted to not having to squeeze another game.

However the chance of a lower league club drawing PL club at home remains the same but no big pay should the match be a draw.

Just now, Robbored said:

I’m sure that was taken in consideration when the ‘no replays’ was decided. Ultimately it’s a ‘swings and roundabouts’ dilemma.

I'm 99.99% sure it wasn't considered at all.

If PL clubs are truly concerned about fixture congestion then they could have said something against the Champions League going from 6 group games to 8.

But no. Obviously they'd like to trade a nasty FA Cup replay against a side like Port Vale for a nice little earner in UEFA competition.

• Like 3
  • Flames 3

27 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I'm 99.99% sure it wasn't considered at all.

If PL clubs are truly concerned about fixture congestion then they could have said something against the Champions League going from 6 group games to 8.

But no. Obviously they'd like to trade a nasty FA Cup replay against a side like Port Vale for a nice little earner in UEFA competition.

If you want to be cynical - try this. To ease the financial plight of many lower league clubs the draw ‘randomly’  selects the PL clubs home to a lower league club………..:cool2: 

Edited by Robbored

55 minutes ago, phantom said:

Interesting, but how many top clubs consistently progress to the later rounds?

Also many top clubs, especially Man City they play full strength sides all the way through so they are clearly not worried

What it does take away is the potential money maker from an additional game, but personally I like the idea of playing to a result on the day

It also means no stupid midweek trips

Agree, but ultimately how often does a smaller club get a replay with a big club?

Quite a few big clubs progress to the later rounds in last 15 years 

Man Utd 6 times

Man City 8 times

Chelsea  9 times

Liverpool 2 times

Arsenal 4 times

i make that 29 out of 80 which is 36.25% of all semi finalists in last 15 years,

Also take into account times they meet before the semi final stage as it’s an open draw ( this years QF Man Utd v Liverpool , 3rd round Arsenal v Liverpool). 

Just using the 5 above as examples depends who you class as big.

Just makes it easier for these clubs to play stronger teams and chance of youngsters in weakened teams could well be less.

• Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Markthehorn said:

Strange to scrap Round one and two replays when the PL clubs don’t enter those rounds .

The competition has to have the same regulations in every round. It wouldn’t be acceptable to introduce ‘no replays’ in round 3 when the big boys join in.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

They should ban replays from R5. Or give clubs the option to agree before the game (ie not to replay). To ban all from R1 onwards is mental but I’m not surprised as football is run by the few at the top but sadly not for the many. 

• Like 1

I think this is a horrendous decision. It's been made by the Premier League clubs purely due to their own agenda, without a second thought to the clubs lower down the pyrmamid who can earn life-changing amounts of revenue from a replay with one of the big clubs.

I get the argument about fixture congestion, but even that doesn't stack up when you hear that Newcastle and Spurs are flying to Australia about 2 days after the season ends for a money-spinning friendly. It's an absolute nonsense and the top clubs will do anything they can to maximise their own income without a second thought for those lower down.

It also takes away some of what was left of the magic of the cup... We were absolutely delighted with the draw at West Ham knowing we had a night at AG, in front of the cameras ahead of us. That got people talking about us in a way that rarely happens to us.... I had messages from people who live overseas that I hadn't seen in years and things like that just won't happen from next season.

Football is the worst for it, but all sports are going this way now. It's all about the dollar and the rich getting richer, and the essence of what makes sport so special is being eroded more and more over time. I for one am sick of seeing things like this and it will only get worse as time goes on. Sad. 

• Like 12

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

The competition has to have the same regulations in every round. It wouldn’t be acceptable to introduce ‘no replays’ in round 3 when the big boys join in.

No it doesn't. 5th round onwards already has no replays.

• Like 3

Would be interesting to hear the EFL’s part in this (if at all), or at least their view.

I think it gets the potential of an ugly problem re the new EFL tv deal and now there won’t be any potential for too many games close together.

@ExiledAjax - I recall you have concerns about this on the tv deal thread.

• Like 2

Think its a good decision, lower leauge clubs have more chance of getting through, over 2 legs you would generally expect the higher team to progress, alwasy felt that replays were there to help the big teams get to the next round

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

8 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

If Premier League clubs didn't want replays then if they are drawn against lower league clubs in Rounds 3-5 the lower clubs should get choice of venue imo.

I like this idea - I think getting rid of replays makes a lot of sense, but from R1 onwards the team in the lower division getting to choose whether the game is played home or away would add an interesting element to it. If it’s two teams in the same league the tie just gets played as it was drawn.

There should have been a provision to guarantee home draws for non-PL teams vs PL. That would be much fairer to increase revenue instead of nebulous donations to 'grass roots', which I suspect is slang for 'bypass the other professional outfits and establish our own training facilities'.

32 minutes ago, Robbored said:

If you want to be cynical - try this. To ease the financial plight of many lower league clubs the draw ‘randomly’  selects the PL clubs home to a lower league club………..:cool2: 

With all due respect Your Robboness that is a load of old bollycocks and you know it. At the end of the day then why fix what isn't broken.

Edited by BigTone
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

Sure I've seen a few teams playing friendly games abroad during breaks as well? 

11 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

I like this idea - I think getting rid of replays makes a lot of sense, but from R1 onwards the team in the lower division getting to choose whether the game is played home or away would add an interesting element to it. If it’s two teams in the same league the tie just gets played as it was drawn.

Think the lower ranked team is automatically at home in Germany? Although I like the uncertainty of not knowing at the draw whether you have more chance of a giant killing at home versus a trip to a big ground.

43 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Cynical? The FA literally say the changes are driven by changes to the European calendar.

"In its current format, the FA Cup has no replays from the fifth round onwards, but the FA says the move to eliminate them from an earlier stage has been made "in light of changes to the calendar driven by the expanded Uefa competitions"."

No cynicism needed at all mate.

40 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Are you serious? It's had no replays from 5th round onwards for the past few seasons.

36 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Would be interesting to hear the EFL’s part in this (if at all), or at least their view.

I think it gets the potential of an ugly problem re the new EFL tv deal and now there won’t be any potential for too many games close together.

@ExiledAjax - I recall you have concerns about this on the tv deal thread.

Can't imagine Rick Parry was allowed in the room tbh.

I can't remember my earlier concerns tbh. May not have been me?

I'd say btw, I'm not actually entirely against the concept of scrapping replays for the right reasons and with other changes made to ensure that lower league clubs still benefit from it. This is just such a transparent decision that they've not even tried to spin it or hide it 😂

17 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Can't imagine Rick Parry was allowed in the room tbh.

I can't remember my earlier concerns tbh. May not have been me?

I'd say btw, I'm not actually entirely against the concept of scrapping replays for the right reasons and with other changes made to ensure that lower league clubs still benefit from it. This is just such a transparent decision that they've not even tried to spin it or hide it 😂

I got the wrong “ex” it was @exAtyeoMax I meant.

• Like 2

I’d go further.  Penalties after 90 mins.

Genuine question.  When games go to extra time, what percentage are decided during that extra time?  I would guess a lot less than 50%.

• Like 1

What about the other 700 odd clubs who enter the FA cup? Why are they being dictated to by the Premier League, more than likely 6 clubs within the Premier League. It's a disgraceful decision. 
Should have let them **** off to their European Super League and left us to it. 

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

So the premer league are telling the FA what to do.To make nit fairer all Premership clubs should come out of another bowl and they should all be the away team.

The problem with that is there are only 20 PL teams, and a total of 64 clubs in the 3rd round draw.

Not sure how you can make a fair draw with that split.

If you have the lower league team the choice of home or away, at least it’s still a fair chance of drawing a top club for all.

• Like 1

Some of City’s best ever moments have come in replays. Imagine if they never happened. All the things that made the FA cup special have pretty much all gone now. But at least Liverpool have time for their post season friendly in Malaysia.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

The cynical side of me thinks this was quickly pushed through before the regulator is introduced. 

An interesting angle to it. The regulator won't have any direct influence on the calendar or on the rules of any competition, but I guess if the PL were going to try and use this extra £33m as leverage in a financial distribution negotiation then maybe they'd want it done before the Bill is passed?

What was your reasoning here?

40 minutes ago, Malago said:

I’d go further.  Penalties after 90 mins.

Genuine question.  When games go to extra time, what percentage are decided during that extra time?  I would guess a lot less than 50%.

Saw on Google that over the last 2 world cups and European championships 46% of ET were resolved in ET, so 54% went to pens.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Dredd said:

What about the other 700 odd clubs who enter the FA cup? Why are they being dictated to by the Premier League, more than likely 6 clubs within the Premier League. It's a disgraceful decision. 
Should have let them **** off to their European Super League and left us to it. 

Exactly and how true is that sentiment !!!    I still live in hope.

Edited by BigTone
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, North London Red said:

I believe our game at Forest in early February will go down as the last ever FA cup replay. Aston Villa played Chelsea in a 4th round replay the same evening, but Chelsea won that in 90 minutes whereas our game went to extra time and penalties. 

“Last FA Cup replay, you’ll never sing that” 

• Haha 1
  • Robin 1

• Admin
2 hours ago, Robbored said:

Already raised about 5th round onwards, but why are replays still happening in the qualifying rounds?

With the crazy backlogs for many non league sides at the moment, I am sure they could benefit from needless replays too

2 hours ago, sephjnr said:

There should have been a provision to guarantee home draws for non-PL teams vs PL. That would be much fairer to increase revenue instead of nebulous donations to 'grass roots', which I suspect is slang for 'bypass the other professional outfits and establish our own training facilities'.

How would a side with a capacity of 10k make more moeny being at home against a team that could hold 40k?

1 hour ago, Dredd said:

How about if it's all square at the end of 90 mins after the first game the PL club can choose to forfeit the replay and go out of the competition. 

If we think VAR takes a long time, imagine how long a board of directors would take to agree on this

22 minutes ago, phantom said:

How would a side with a capacity of 10k make more moeny being at home against a team that could hold 40k?

Make more money for their selves of their own volition including match day revenue. Which - in a similar vein to the EFL selling off online TV to Sky - is now reliant more on handouts from the PL who are DESPERATELY trying to ringfence for their own control even further.

Edited by sephjnr
  • Like 1

Just to focus for a second on the other bit of news in this. The FA Cup final will be the week before the final Premiership round of ties.

There seems no need for this at all other than a bit of ego ‘we are the finish of the season, not you’.

Charity Shieid starts the domestic season, FA Cup finishes it. No need for change at all.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

So why have VAR in some games and not in others 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

For some reason everything I typed disappeared.

Anyway , basically that it is to benefit smaller Clubs is bullshit as they haven't been consulted .

Screenshot2024-04-18at17_33_53.png.627ab4a2cf6add6d5a7017e0f2a8fe19.png

Screenshot2024-04-18at17_35_57.png.6e51d239b13bc0ed9c80d787470545a1.png

Screenshot2024-04-18at17_36_42.png.6ae199611f8cf73b60f37812926e1646.pngWhile I get that it's a bust schedule , all this is doing is making space for a few top teams to make space for European games. Small Clubs have made Club saving Cup runs for years. Those replays , with TV , extra revenue advertising and profile raising games have been vitally important for decades . 
The worst thing is they are saying it is done to benefit the smaller Clubs , bullshit , they didn't even consult the "smaller" Clubs.

Edited by 1960maaan
  • Like 1

Yeah, as it turns out the EFL clubs weren't consulted. 

That is unbelievable imo. It's one thing to be fine with scrapping replays. But the dodgy backroom way they've gone about it should worry everybody. 

The game is seemingly being run by a few clubs in the premier league in all but name. 

It's elitist, arrogant, scummy. And not to benefit of football as a whole in this country. 

The FA should be thoroughly ashamed by this. They are supposed to be the governing body. They are clearly not fit for purpose. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Markthehorn said:

Strange to scrap Round one and two replays when the PL clubs don’t enter those rounds .

Another nail in the coffin of the cup.

FA bullshit about grassroots football too. Number if clubs in financial difficulties because of ridiculous ground improvement demands and start/end dates of the seasons.