IGNORED

A Message from Nige to otib

12 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

i had the pleasure of meeting up with Nige tonight for an hour or so.

a few people on here know ive been in regular contact with him and i passed on their well wishes in a card some people have seen.

he has asked me to thank everyone for their well wishes and also asked me to thank everybody on here for their kind thoughts and comments over the past 6 months.

things will be much easier for me now knowing i dont have to keep it a secret. it was a remarkable experience and a friendship i am going to treasure.

he told me he understands why i dont want to go back but says it will always be our club and perhaps my feelings will pass in time but i must keep supporting Liam and the team.

im not repeating any of our conversation so please dont ask but i will say he holds Liam in high regard and wishes him every success. so again i will repeat as he did

THANKYOU EVERYBODY  from Nige.

Thanks for sharing. You are both top blokes!!

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

a few people on here know ive been in regular contact with him and i passed on their well wishes in a card some people have seen.

he has asked me to thank everyone for their well wishes and also asked me to thank everybody on here for their kind thoughts and comments over the past 6 months.

things will be much easier for me now knowing i dont have to keep it a secret. it was a remarkable experience and a friendship i am going to treasure.

he told me he understands why i dont want to go back but says it will always be our club and perhaps my feelings will pass in time but i must keep supporting Liam and the team.

im not repeating any of our conversation so please dont ask but i will say he holds Liam in high regard and wishes him every success. so again i will repeat as he did

Thank you RS how is his health? 

• Like 2

there have been so many heartfelt wishes on here i feel it is only fair that i apologise to all those of you who i did not contact to tell you i would personally pass them on. 

at the time,i did not know how Nige would react to me telling people and wish now id not gone behind peoples backs so i apologise to everyone that i missed out but rest assured he knows now👍 and is truly taken in by it all

• Like 18

20 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

hes good mate, still not as mobile as he would have liked but hes ok and down here on his own unaided. 

he makes a wicked coffee

Thank you, delighted to hear that. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Interesting post. Like most of us, we were all on Nigel's bus and disappointed to see him leave in ridiculous circumstances and excuses from the hierarchy. 

Good to hear he 'Rates Liam'...

How did this meeting happen...😂

Edited by Tomo
  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

Thanks for posting this. 
Like most people on here I was shocked and disappointed when he was sacked. 
Nice touch asking us to get behind Manning. 
I wish him (Nige) well - and I DO support Liam and this is no way a criticism of him. I just don’t like the manner of his appointment - like I didn’t like the manner of Deano’s either. 

• Like 11

1 minute ago, 42nite said:

Out of interest, does he look at OTIB?

i dont think he does but thats not to say that others werent .

6 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Interesting post. Like most of us, we were all on Nigel's bus and disappointed to see him leave in ridiculous circumstances and excuses from the hierarchy. 

Good to hear he 'Rates Liam'...

How did this meeting happen...😂

i work on his cars

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

A classy manager, a classy man.

Wish him all the best personally and professionally and glad that the health of NP is on the mend.

Our hierarchy (not Manning but those above) don't know when they're onto a positive thing and I include the James call in that respect. Arguably King and coaching potential this year overlooked too.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 9
  • Flames 4

1 hour ago, redsquirrel said:

Top work mate. Shame you got to meet in the circumstances you did but every cloud and all that…

Will hopefully have a chance to see him back down the gate one day.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Top work mate. Shame you got to meet in the circumstances you did but every cloud and all that…

Will hopefully have a chance to see him back down the gate one day.

im sure you will,he loves it here and the friends hes made.  hopefully i will be doing his cars for a good few years yet#

i did meet him once before at tesco and asked if he remembered me, i was gobsmacked when he said he did.  

Edited by redsquirrel
  • Like 9

A more genuine man you could not wish to meet.  Absolutely class.  I am a keen walker and would love to bump into him one day on out on the Mendips or in Cotswolds or even better in the pub afterwards for a beer after.

Some of the things life has thrown at him have been a challenge but he seems to be someone that has learned and grown from the struggles he's faced.  It sounds corny, but these can really make you as a person.  

Wish him nothing but happiness and health in the future.  

• Like 9
  • Flames 2

44 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

A classy manager, a classy man.

Wish him all the best personally and professionally and glad that the health of NP is on the mend.

Our hierarchy (not Manning but those above) don't know when they're onto a food thing and I include the James Tomlin call in that respect. Arguably King and coaching potential this year overlooked too.

There you are.

FTFY

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I have never experienced , in more than fifty years of supporting the club, a person so motivating and empowering. 
A golden opportunity has been flushed down the toilet but the new coach has a fantastic platform to work from. I wish Manning the best of luck in his stint here however find him difficult to warm to. 

I’m in the same camp Major as I’m sure many of us are.

In SOTC Manning said that he’d inherited a solid bunch of players. That’s very different from the shambles that Nige inherited.

Like many fans I also find Manning difficult to warm to. Hopefully that’ll change as time progresses.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Jobi said:

I had no issue with the club sacking Pearson, he had been given time and they clearly wanted to go in a different direction (which is fine) - the way they handled it though was so so poor and the reasoning was embarrassing - he deserved better than the way it was handled. 

absolutely100%, he told me not to make things worse for myself by thinking what if this,what if that. wait and see how it pans out but keep behind the coaching team and the players, it wont be their doing of it goes tits up,all of those are professionals and will being giving 100% to make things work👍

so in a way, ive been told to drop it now which i am quite happy to do 

• Like 7

10 hours ago, redsquirrel said:

Thanks for posting, one question has he spoken to Liam at all ? 

• Like 1

It was nice to have some class about the club for a couple of years or so.

Sadly it always seemed like what he was building was built on sand because of those above him. It seemed inevitable that the class would leave with Nige and his staff, and it has.

Such a shame it was cut short way too soon, we were a couple of months into his first proper season, after he miraculously kept us competitive whilst clearing the crap left behind be previous regimes. 

Glad he's on the mend health wise.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

What a wonderful thread, thanks for sharing.  It's awesome to have a former manager who the fanbase rate so highly, and we can reflect on his time as crucial for the Championship development of the club.  Hopefully he will return to watch a few games.

Also, I'm a devout tea drinker but now I really want to try one of his cups of coffee!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 1

• Admin
13 hours ago, redsquirrel said:

I would be interested to know how long you have supported City for you to feel so strongly that you don't want to go back?

Are you really saying you will only consider coming back because Nigel told you to do so?

So what are you going to do on a Saturday afternoon now?

• Admin
11 hours ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Thanks for posting this. 
Like most people on here I was shocked and disappointed when he was sacked. 
Nice touch asking us to get behind Manning. 
I wish him (Nige) well - and I DO support Liam and this is no way a criticism of him. I just don’t like the manner of his appointment - like I didn’t like the manner of Deano’s either. 

I think we can all completely agree with the sentiment above, perhaps now it is the end of the season everyone can put this firmly behind us, and all unite in getting  behind Liam and his team? 

• Robin 5

13 hours ago, redsquirrel said:

The bloke really is a classy guy isn't he

• Flames 1

Their are not many managers/coaches that had the fans up in arms when they were sacked.But Nigel is such a man. As you can see from this tread, still loved and respected as a manager and a man. It was good to see him on Sky the other week and enjoyed watching him with big Sam He touched on his sacking and will tell more when the time is right. All i can say is i am sadend by the way he was treated by the Lansdowns and will never forgive them. 

• Like 6
  • Flames 2

59 minutes ago, phantom said:

I think we can all completely agree with the sentiment above, perhaps now it is the end of the season everyone can put this firmly behind us, and all unite in getting  behind Liam and his team? 

I got nothing against Liam. I’ve chosen not to renew because of the lansdowns , the way they acted over Pearson’s sacking & the total contempt they have for us . Thanks to @redsquirrel for starting this thread . Hope Nige gets back in the game when he’s ready . 

• Like 9
  • Flames 4

• Admin
31 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

I got nothing against Liam. I’ve chosen not to renew because of the lansdowns , the way they acted over Pearson’s sacking & the total contempt they have for us . Thanks to @redsquirrel for starting this thread . Hope Nige gets back in the game when he’s ready . 

Very valid and thank you for the honest reply

All I would say is this isn't the first time we have felt like this and sadly may not be the last, you will be around Bristol City a lot longer than those in power, it would be a shame for you to miss out because of them

• Like 3

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Can understand your point and in a way it has to be put to bed. On the other hand, we shouldn’t simply forgive and  forge. If things do not go well we should hold Tinnion and Lansdown to account. I really want to see a strong message sent to both if Manning ends up with the sack this coming season or if we struggle to push on.

• Like 4
  • Flames 3

Like so many on here I admire Pearson.

Seems like a tough-love guy who speaks openly and honestly and practices what he preaches.

Glad to hear the positive feedback from you Red Squirrel.

At Leicester, Pearson laid strong foundations for Ranieri and the club’s unexpected Premiership title, and this has been widely acknowledged.

He may well have done the same here for Manning.

We have waited a long time for a breath-taking, memorable, successful season. And, we deserve it (only because I say so).

Let’s hope Manning delivers it in the coming season and that Pearson’s contribution is never overlooked or forgotten.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, phantom said:

All I would say is this isn't the first time we have felt like this and sadly may not be the last, you will be around Bristol City a lot longer than those in power, it would be a shame for you to miss out because of them

no it isnt the first time and it gets harder to accept every time.

ive already said in other threads i intend to do some away games instead, you have said its a shame to miss out, i was told the same last night but Nige fully understands why i dont want to go to AG until the ownership changes.

as for how long have i been going, my first game was chelsea either 69 or 70,round about then,evening match with my grandfather. i stood on a wooden box in the bottom sort of corner of the williams/open end where the invalid buggies parked, id guess it was part of the open end.i was only 5 or 6 years and cant remember exactly but i did cop a whack in the ear from a wayward chris garland? cross

Edited by redsquirrel
  • Like 6
  • Robin 6

7 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

He is  one of very few men who work for the greater good and not the good of his reputation. 
Genuine, generous and intelligent . He is a big loss for the club and that is what makes his sacking so hard to swallow. 
He may not be the best coach or best manager but he dragged this club kicking and screaming to a level where we could dream of achieving something other than perpetual mediocrity and being Bristol Cosy FC , the rest home for footballers. 
Everyone, apart from the synts at the top , loved how he made them feel. 
I have never experienced , in more than fifty years of supporting the club, a person so motivating and empowering. 
A golden opportunity has been flushed down the toilet but the new coach has a fantastic platform to work from. I wish Manning the best of luck in his stint here however find him difficult to warm to. 

Post of the year so far!!

• Like 2
  • Flames 2

1 hour ago, REDOXO said:

Post of the year so far!!

I used to work with a Project Manager, who was always labelled as a “safe pair of hands”.  But it was always meant negatively.

I challenged someone in the management team why they always knocked the person down against their peers.  I said you use the term negatively when you’d give he any complexity of project to run, knowing they’ll deliver it with no fuss.  Yet someone else who you rate higher you’ve admitted would never be give a complex project that you’d give to “safe pair of hands”, because they couldn’t handle it.

Nige’s rebuild here made me think of the Project Manager..

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bazooka Joe said:

We have waited a long time for a breath-taking, memorable, successful season. And, we deserve it (only because I say so).

Oh no way! To paraphrase BT, I've been here for over 62 years.....

And I'm ENTITLED!!

(Not including the first division days which, were much longer back in time than BT has been with the club)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, phantom said:

I know but I’ve just lost the football bug because of it . I’ll always be a city fan & will go back when I’ve had a bit of a break . The club just seemed with Gould & nige in charge we were in good hands & I thought we were building again . We then get another CEO who seemed the right fit , only for **** ups from above again . One step forward & two back all the time with them in charge. 

• Like 7
  • Flames 4

Good to hear. I hope he’s doing well. I think we’ll all eventually look back fondly on his time here and appreciate the job he did. Hopefully Liam and his team can carry on with that. 

It made me remember a couple of behind the scenes videos of his time at Watford. The man commands respect from all around him. I’m sure he got that here too, mostly. 

• Like 1

Some great posts on this thread and thank you @redsquirrel for a brilliant OP. I think Nige will always have a special place in most City fans hearts and he’ll be recognised for what he did from the starting position he inherited. His comment about Manning and the team is typical of the class of the man. 

So is it now “Nigel says, get behind the team?!”. 

In all seriousness, excellent to read this thread. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

3 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

I know but I’ve just lost the football bug because of it . I’ll always be a city fan & will go back when I’ve had a bit of a break . The club just seemed with Gould & nige in charge we were in good hands & I thought we were building again . We then get another CEO who seemed the right fit , only for **** ups from above again . One step forward & two back all the time with them in charge. 

Absolutely agree and I don't think it's going to change. Every season repeats itself it's the same old same old.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Their are not many managers/coaches that had the fans up in arms when they were sacked.But Nigel is such a man. As you can see from this tread, still loved and respected as a manager and a man. It was good to see him on Sky the other week and enjoyed watching him with big Sam He touched on his sacking and will tell more when the time is right. All i can say is i am sadend by the way he was treated by the Lansdowns and will never forgive them. 

Totally agree.  

I still believe we had the right man in Nigel Pearson, but are here now and Liam Manning had nothing to do with NP’s sacking, so he has my support.

On the other hand, while I support the club and LM, I’m completely done with the Lansdowns and I now view them with total contempt and can’t see that ever changing now.

Nige has shown his class throughout this sorry episode, while the Lansdowns and Sid have been the complete opposite.  

• Like 8
  • Flames 4

15 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

He is  one of very few men who work for the greater good and not the good of his reputation. 
Genuine, generous and intelligent . He is a big loss for the club and that is what makes his sacking so hard to swallow. 
He may not be the best coach or best manager but he dragged this club kicking and screaming to a level where we could dream of achieving something other than perpetual mediocrity and being Bristol Cosy FC , the rest home for footballers. 
Everyone, apart from the synts at the top , loved how he made them feel. 

Right on the mark, Sir 👏

• Like 2

thankyou everybody for making this a remarkable thread, im seeing Nige again before he leaves later in the week and will point him in the direction of these pages. i dont know if he will read it but i do know if he says he will look later,he means it.   classy otib at its very best:clap::clap:

p.s. it has also meant a great deal to me to be able to say thankyou on behalf of everyone,  

it might not mean as much as a public acknowledgement but knowing him as i do now, think it will actually mean more.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3
  • Robin 2

12 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

Come back @steviestevieneville because this life is a one time experience.

You can never recover what has already passed and never get a second chance. So keep coming til you cannot.

• Like 1
  • Robin 2

30 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

thankyou everybody for making this a remarkable thread, im seeing Nige again before he leaves later in the week and will point him in the direction of these pages. i dont know if he will read it but i do know if he says he will look later,he means it. 

Alright Nige?      🙂👍

1 hour ago, redsquirrel said:

thankyou everybody for making this a remarkable thread, im seeing Nige again before he leaves later in the week and will point him in the direction of these pages. i dont know if he will read it but i do know if he says he will look later,he means it.   classy otib at its very best:clap::clap:

p.s. it has also meant a great deal to me to be able to say thankyou on behalf of everyone,  

it might not mean as much as a public acknowledgement but knowing him as i do now, think it will actually mean more.

Thanks for everything you’ve done too Squirrel 👏👏.  

The disgusting and disrespectful way Nige was treated has left a really bad taste.   It’s been comforting to know that at least Nige is aware there are a large number of fans who fully support him and are grateful for what he’s done for the club in really tough circumstances.

With your invaluable help and efforts, he well knows he had infinitely more support from our fanbase than from those clowns running this club.

Top job matey 👍

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 2

Thank you @redsquirrel for this, Am I jealous true right I am 😂 Just kidding shows what a man he is and absolutely graceful for the hard work he achieved at city especially giving our players the confidence to move forward.Im still livid about what happened and my feelings towards the owners haven't changed one bit. We need a new direction without doubt. A manager that has more experience in football than Steve Jon and tinman put together. Once again cheers Nige 👍

• Like 6

I don't think I've ever seen a reaction like this to a City manager being sacked. Genuinely most of us could see what he was doing, was right behind him and the team and were happy to show the rarest of commodities from a football fan - patience. That's because we could see what was being built and against what restraints he was working with. 

The closest I can put to it was probably GJ leaving. Got us within a whisker of the PL but I think the general acceptance was it was the right time to move on. Cotts I will admire and respect forever but he was taking us down that season (without funds from the board I'll add). 

Side question, does anyone remember the last time we had a manager poached from us? Was it P*lis?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

I completely get this.

NP, Gould- Tinnion in his correct position to the current flux.

At best we can say they seem intent on doing things the hard way..to add to your post, I have big doubts about (seemingly) them not pushing harder to keep James, the lack of King coaching potential- for context Ipswich reportedly were looking to keep Aluko on post retirement in some capacity and King is far better qualified for this on many levels.

There are some fundamental flaws in respect of the Lansdowns and Tinnion. Unsure what to make of Marshall and Rawcliffe either, the former seems to he spread thin if he is a Group CEO.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 2
  • Flames 1

41 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I completely get this.

NP, Gould- Tinnion in his correct position to the current flux.

At best we can say they seem intent on doing things the hard way..to add to your post, I have big doubts about (seemingly) them not pushing harder to keep James, the lack of King coaching potential- for context Ipswich reportedly were looking to keep Aluko on post retirement in some capacity and King is far better qualified for this on many levels.

There are some fundamental flaws in respect of the Lansdowns and Tinnion. Unsure what to make of Marshall and Rawcliffe either, the former seems to he spread thin if he is a Group CEO.

Because they want to do it the 'pure' way. 

The only premier league experience we now have is Wells and I'd say he's on the list of players we'd like to dispose of too. 

• Flames 1

Please he’s on the mend.

I got what he was trying to do here and was hugely disappointed that his services were disposed of.

I wish him all the best for the future.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

On 13/05/2024 at 22:02, redsquirrel said:

Thanks for sharing this redsquirrel.

I don't think there's ever been the same level of support for any City manager who's been sacked. I think everybody is still reeling about the manner in which he was dealt with. Most could see what he was building.  Its a measure of the man to suggest to keep supporting the new coach.

Unlike a lot of football fans, I think we are very patient and supportive, so his sacking really was/still is quite a shock. Its comforting to know that he appreciates the support he has from the fanbase.

Good luck for the future Nige, you'll always be welcome here.

• Like 3
  • Flames 2

• The topic was locked