IGNORED

Joe Williams - New 3 Year Deal - CONFIRMED

Gazred

Posted (edited)

Just feels like we are in slow decline again or at the very least treading water.

Constantly rebuilding another angle.

The depth has thinned out, the experience has thinned out. Falling back on existing now matured resources in O'Leary, Vyner, Pring has helped greatly..as has the development of Bell and Conway. Plus Benarous if he is ever back to his old self.

To say nothing of Scott and Semenyo, developed and sold £30-35m combined.

We aren't retaining and replacing experience and internationals though. Been going on for several years now- I may make a thread on it but we have done more with less for a while now.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Looks like they are looking at williams to replace alan browne, who is 29, and knows his way around the championship, and has 30 odd ireland caps,,, sounds exactly the type of midfielder we will be looking to bring in if williams goes?

17 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Looks like they are looking at williams to replace alan browne, who is 29, and knows his way around the championship, and has 30 odd ireland caps,,, sounds exactly the type of midfielder we will be looking to bring in if williams goes?

Browne is decent, I would say has achieved more at this level. 

18 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

Liam and Chris (sounds like a dodgy 80’s footballing pop duo) might well reflect, learn and improve as they have careers to forge. Those above them? You give them more credit than I do!!

surprised you give them that much, theres a big hole in my zero fks given bucket in that respect

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Simon bristol said:

He is linked with Coventry, Sheffield United, are we matching either financially- I read Preston had made Browne a record offer to stay. Can get a few goals from midfield, do like Browne.

• Like 1

This is more nothing than something, but it’s quiet so I’ll mention, Joe Williams personal trainer uploaded a video of him working today and he’s in his City gear. Hopefully a good omen!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, KnowleUtd City said:

Still nothing on Joe lads? Can't be good news for it to take this long surely?

I guess he's working out all options. Pre-season hasn't started yet, he's probably on holiday.

• Like 1

Bristol Live story now is that the club are increasingly confident he will sign. I can't see any substance for that optimism in the article itself, so I have to assume they are just creating a non story on a slow news day.

• Facepalm 1

27 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Bristol Live story now is that the club are increasingly confident he will sign. I can't see any substance for that optimism in the article itself, so I have to assume they are just creating a non story on a slow news day.

It was written by James Piercy so it will definitely have substance and wasn't published for no reason

• Like 6
  • Flames 1

3 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

That article is essentially telling us not to shit on our walls. 

Which to be fair, is sensible advice.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

That article is essentially telling us not to shit on our walls. 

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Which to be fair, is sensible advice.

I wish someone had told me earlier...

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Ecko said:

With James departing, it was pivotal we offered enough to get Williams to stay. Great news and will play an integral role.

We might have had to pay a little over the odds, but that's what happens when you don't want to offer a deal with 12 months to go, and the player becomes important to you. Good for JW I say.

(ED: And great that it is sorted relatively early, so we can plan our other targets better.)

Edited by Sleepy1968
  • Like 3
  • Flames 2

9 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

We might have had to pay a little over the odds, but that's what happens when you don't want to offer a deal with 12 months to go, and the player becomes important to you. Good for JW I say.

(ED: And great that it is sorted relatively early, so we can plan our other targets better.)

I doubt many would’ve offered him a new deal 12 months ago to be fair to the club.  

• Like 2

That is good news and a bit of a relief.

3 Year deal feels about right, entering peak years-🤞his injury misfortune hopefully in the rear view mirror. Midfield has a bit of an improved age range now.

I still would've quite liked a 2 year deal for James too but losing both would have been very bad.

• Like 1

Great news, he had a difficult start to his time with us with many wondering if he’d ever be able to play 2 games a week at one point.

Last season he finally showed what he’s capable of, I’m sure he can carry that on into next season. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Slack said:

Great news ... However can we not do this whole thing of treating it like a new signing

It's effectively a new signing as JW was free to sign for anyone from the end of June.

I'd rather they didn't do this sort of thing for loan signings though. Especially ones that were never going to play ...

Edited by Sleepy1968
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Slack said:

Great news ... However can we not do this whole thing of treating it like a new signing

In several ways though it's better than a new signing. He's a proven performer already settled at our club that we could easily have lost to a rival in our division. So it feels like we have gained. Good news.

• Like 9

Said before that I'm not sure he's a player Manning would have signed if he wasn't here, but I'm glad he's seen his worth. He definitely gives us something different and a bit of bite which we need.

21 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Over the odds is relative though right? A replacement would likely cost a fee, and even a very modest (for the championship) £1m over 2 years is an extra 10k / week wages equivalent. And I doubt we're getting a player with his quality and experience for £1m and 10k / week less wages.

• Like 3

Good news. I was gutted to lose James and would rather have kept him but after he went my hope was on keeping Williams because it was pivotal to have kept at least one of them. Midfield looking good for next year!

17 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Really good news, nice strong midfield options now with Knight, Bird TGH and Williams.

Captain Joe?

Not for me. Still want Knight to be club captain but nevertheless is a good character to have around the squad and is well liked amongst the players.

• Like 2

What’s important here is I would imagine he could have moved to a fair few other clubs but hopefully he can see something happening here and that’s help influence his decision and not just ££££££

Well done Joe, well done Liam.  Continuity not to be sniffed at.  Player in his peak years, different to any of our other midfielders, on effectively a free transfer.

Good stuff!

• Like 12

1 minute ago, IAmNick said:

Said before that I'm not sure he's a player Manning would have signed if he wasn't here, but I'm glad he's seen his worth. He definitely gives us something different and a bit of bite which we need.

Over the odds is relative though right? A replacement would likely cost a fee, and even a very modest (for the championship) £1m over 2 years is an extra 10k / week wages equivalent. And I doubt we're getting a player with his quality and experience for £1m and 10k / week less wages.

Oh yes, agreed. And I don't think we'd have been replacing him with a better player either.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

I doubt many would’ve offered him a new deal 12 months ago to be fair to the club.  

Pearson wanted to!

Personally I think he’s been key for a good 18 months or so.  22/23 we started to see a “hamstring-worry free” Joe Williams, carried into 23/24.

So pleased we’ve managed to keep him.

• Like 6