IGNORED

Joe Williams - New 3 Year Deal - CONFIRMED

Gazred

7 minutes ago, HengroveReds said:

Funny old game ain’t it, city hold on and win, no one would bat an eye lid on Williams performance in which I thought him knight and bird controlled the game really well together as midfield 3, city draw and everyone wants him out!  Mistakes are part and parcel of the game, Williams was our stellar performer last year, we are 1 game in, showed bright signs of what we’re capable of, I’m disappointed to draw, but happy with our performance to build on. 

Well yes if a player throws the game away it does take away from their overall performance.

18 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Whilst I can see the OPs point of view, it would be good to Williams come out and publicly apologise for costing us 2 points. 

Could also donate this weeks wages to charity. 

Then he would earn some respect.

What complete and utter sh*t.

He made an error and it cost us but I bet every single player on that pitch made some sort of error today just like any game. 

• Like 10

17 minutes ago, Gert Mare said:

He’s a committed player. Unfortunately he’s not up to speed so his timing is off and that is where his commitment becomes a worrying liability.

His yellow in the first half was the warning. He couldn’t keep up so conceded a very cheap yellow. He stayed on the pitch and the early warning sign came home to roost. Very lucky to stay on the pitch. Amazed Stroud didn’t give him a second yellow leading with his arm aggressively like that.

Would agree with this and I would have subbed him at half time because of the booking (and erratic performance). 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Saborios Socks said:

It was one of the most stupid challenges that I can remember seeeing a Bristol city player make. He deserves to be dropped for that alone. A side like us cannot make these errors or judgmeent. Complete and utter stupidity. 

You obviously haven’t watched many city games then , been plenty down the years 

• Like 1

I would have subbed him after about 70 and brought on TGH. The challenge reminded me of O’Dowda’s against Barnsley….same stage of the game and same ultimate result unfortunately.

• Like 1

Dont forget he seems to have morphed into our set piece taker too. Absolute joke of a decision to let him near a crossing opportunity. One of the worst set piece takers ive ever had the displeasure of watching trying to beat the first man. 
But its ok, he runs around a bit. Just 3 more years of mediocrity to come! 😂

I do like him if im honest. But, the summer was a perfect free chance to let him go. 

15 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

That mistake was manna from heaven for certain posters.

Early season whipping boy sorted. Must admit my money was on Sam Bell.

He’s sh1t innall mind…..!! 😂

28 minutes ago, HengroveReds said:

Funny old game ain’t it, city hold on and win, no one would bat an eye lid on Williams performance in which I thought him knight and bird controlled the game really well together as midfield 3, city draw and everyone wants him out!  Mistakes are part and parcel of the game, Williams was our stellar performer last year, we are 1 game in, showed bright signs of what we’re capable of, I’m disappointed to draw, but happy with our performance to build on. 

Obviously not but he gives away the needless penalty in stoppage time. If he doesn’t do that then he’s had a 6/10 performance but that challenge was brainless 

36 minutes ago, The Coach said:

Was surprising he was given a contract over James.

Williams now has a lot to make up for.

I like both players, would’ve loved to see James stay as well as I’m sure he’d be needed at some stage this season but I’m not the one in charge of the wage budget. Williams younger I suppose.

• Like 1

Naismith just come on, letting his man get goals side from the throw in to cross the ball started it all off. It’s his first action, concentration on something so basic as that should not had been an issue. Perhaps going to 352 also gave the extra space on both sides. Either way a very disappointing goal to give away. You could see the Williams challenge coming from a mile off! 

2 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

I like both players, would’ve loved to see James stay as well as I’m sure he’d be needed at some stage this season but I’m not the one in charge of the wage budget. Williams younger I suppose.

James and Williams they should've made a strong effort for IMO.

James 2 year deal, elder statesman especially in 2nd Year. Ah well.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Eddie Notgetinya said:

Obviously not but he gives away the needless penalty in stoppage time. If he doesn’t do that then he’s had a 6/10 performance but that challenge was brainless 

I hate to scapegoat players, as it is a team game which is won, lost, or drawn as a collective...........but really JW,, ?  having viewed it on SKY numerous times, it was pretty much assault,  and just really dumb?  He is a good member of the squad, but needs to apologise for that pointless headrush challenge,  to this team mates.  I am sure he will come back and make up for it in the long term, but so unnecessary, and costly?  Big shout out to Max for three excellent early saves that kept us in the game

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Cov 77 said:

Just for a bit of perspective, found the Joe Williams re signing topic , sorry MrP but this was just one of the page on page posts basically saying great news

P’d right off with him today but the overriding mood then was great business 

Nor should we judge on one game, but boy was he all over the place at times today.

• Like 1

Got to take the rough with the smooth as far as JW goes. Combative by nature and has no off switch.

Frusttrating it cost us 2 points today but in truth a draw probably fair over the 90. No grudges with Joe.

54 minutes ago, NDW4CITY said:

I would have subbed him after about 70 and brought on TGH. The challenge reminded me of O’Dowda’s against Barnsley….same stage of the game and same ultimate result unfortunately.

I think I’d go with this point of view and TGH for Williams would have been a good shout or even Naismith for Williams.

I’m not Williams biggest fan and said that his rashness was a reason why I wouldn’t give him the captaincy when some suggested it before the season started.

But i’d say he did more good than bad today and there’s very few players that will go through 90 minutes and not make a mistake.

But acts of rashness are things he can control and it’s something that I’d like to see him stop.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Gazred said:

Got to take the rough with the smooth as far as JW goes. Combative by nature and has no off switch.

Frusttrating it cost us 2 points today but in truth a draw probably fair over the 90. No grudges with Joe.

Don’t think a draw was a fair result as your saying , I know they had 2 decent chances first half but thought for 70% of the game we were the better side , especially first 20 of the 2nd half absolutely battered them 

our decision making for the final ball though was awful 

• Like 2

I couldn’t watch the game today and having seen some of the comments on here I must say I was expecting a worse challenge than I’m actually seeing on the highlights. From the angle looking towards our goal it even looks like he got a slight glance on the ball (although not certain). Yes a rash challenge, but not one that I look at think he never had any chance of winning the header. I certainly wouldn’t be crucifying him for it.

Huge over reaction as per usual. Yes it’s frustrating and it was a rash challenge but he’s going to be more gutted about it than anyone. Nowhere near his best today and thought he should have gone off instead of Bird tbh. 

Really hope people don’t start getting on his back, already seeing comments on Twitter calling him a useless **** etc. Same people probably praised the club for giving him a new contract.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Saborios Socks said:

It was one of the most stupid challenges that I can remember seeeing a Bristol city player make. He deserves to be dropped for that alone. A side like us cannot make these errors or judgmeent. Complete and utter stupidity. 

Jens Hegeler some way clear in that category, for me.

I'm as pissed as the next person by what happened and he had a howler of a game without even including that penalty decision but all this over the top he should donate wages to charity or he should be fined, apologise etc... utter bollocks. 

He had a bad game and made a costly mistake and it's insanely frustrating but he's also been a hell of a player in the past too. Personally, I would drop him, have Knight and Bird as the two and I'd still give Mehmeti a run as the 10. We've still not given him a chance there and the one thing he does well is run at players and cause problems, he also likes to get into positions to shoot which a lot of our players don't. I think Mehmeti could be a real problem for teams in the middle, I'd also have Roberts as left back and push Pring up high as I feel he'd cause a lot of issues too as he likes to get into crossing positions and more importantly, he can deliver a good cross.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, old_eastender said:

Whilst I can see the OPs point of view, it would be good to Williams come out and publicly apologise for costing us 2 points. 

Could also donate this weeks wages to charity. 

Then he would earn some respect.

That's just being silly now, isn't it?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What I don't understand is that one of the first interviews Manning gave he said he wanted to "try to take the emotion out of the game" or words to that effect, then we get to the end of the season and they give possibly the most emotionally guided players a 3 year contract. 

I didn't understand it then and I definitely don't now. The penalty was shocking, but some of his play up to that point was bizarre. I don't think anyone would bat an eyelid if he came out and said he had money on Hull to win. 

Early booking, which despite what Leroy said on TV was unnecessary, another unnecessary and misjudged tackle in the second half giving them a free kick 20 yards from goal (thankfully they don't have Twine on loan this season), terrible set pieces when we had several good targets to aim at, and awful ballooned passes all over the pitch and he had a shot into row Z and then laughed about it. When he did do something right and stepped in on the press, he passed it Bird on his wrong foot and just stood and watched Hull clear it away. 

That was all before the penalty, Keith Stroud at fault again because he should have sent him off and at least saved us another games worth of that kind of performance. 

I hate reading this back because it's so unlike me to be so critical, but he ruined what was otherwise a perfectly acceptable 3 points and not just from that penalty challenge either.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Flames 1
  • Facepalm 1

4 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

What I don't understand is that one of the first interviews Manning gave he said he wanted to "try to take the emotion out of the game" or words to that effect, then we get to the end of the season and they give possibly the most emotionally guided players a 3 year contract. 

I didn't understand it then and I definitely don't now. The penalty was shocking, but some of his play up to that point was bizarre. I don't think anyone would bat an eyelid if he came out and said he had money on Hull to win. 

Early booking, which despite what Leroy said on TV was unnecessary, another unnecessary and misjudged tackle in the second half giving them a free kick 20 yards from goal (thankfully they don't have Twine on loan this season), terrible set pieces when we had several good targets to aim at, and awful ballooned passes all over the pitch and he had a shot into row Z and then laughed about it. When he did do something right and stepped in on the press, he passed it Bird on his wrong foot and just stood and watched Hull clear it away. 

That was all before the penalty, Keith Stroud at fault again because he should have sent him off and at least saved us another games worth of that kind of performance. 

I hate reading this back because it's so unlike me to be so critical, but he ruined what was otherwise a perfectly acceptable 3 points and not just from that penalty challenge either.

Some balance , and I've already criticised him for the the booking & Pen.
He's on free kicks as they deem him best, we may not agree, we may think he was poor , but it comes down to .... Who else ???? Knight gave away a silly FK on the edge of the box, it happens. Williams has that in him, but you have to give him credit for breaking up play, for those moments he held the ball under pressure and got us going again. Equally moaning about a shot into row z , how did you think Bird did today ? His shot was at least as bad. 
I see Fally getting plaudits, his touch was poor, he missed an easy pass into touch but it's forgotten because he scored. 
There has to be balance. None of the midfield were great, they did some good things but were all below the levels they can play. Williams will play better, and worse , but today he made 2 very poor mistakes I still think he will have  big part to play in our season.

• Like 3
  • Hmmm 1

Williams didn't start v Willem - was that injury related? I wonder if he went into this game a bit undercooked?

I'm a fan of his & glad we retained him, but was shocked he started today. Don't really want us shoehorning players into the almost mythical "10" role - if necessary we need to find another way to play, even, God forbid, get 2 up top.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Early contender for SGOTS…scapegoat of the season! 🤣🤣🤣

Not sure about that, but certainly in with most reckless moment of the season! 

Maybe a rush of blood to the head but that was pure stupidity.

Also lucky not to receive a second yellow for it as well.

Edited by formerly known as ivan

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Nor should we judge on one game, but boy was he all over the place at times today.

Agreed....I guess my concern is that if Williams ends up having a significant number of starts I really question whether we can challenge for top 10 and be in and around the play offs. For all his undoubted qualities, I just feel he lacks the poise, control, vision and passing accuracy to get us to that next level. 

5 hours ago, Northern Red said:

That mistake was manna from heaven for certain posters.

Early season whipping boy sorted. Must admit my money was on Sam Bell.

Yeah, he was pretty crap too. (😏😏😂😂)

Seriously, Williams took a corner down at our end not long before the pen, and he really seemed knackered. And what’s “committed” when Williams is firing on all cylinders very easily becomes “reckless” when he’s tired.

He didn’t feature last week, not sure about the other friendlies, so maybe a touch behind others? I think @NDW4CITY is right; we should have swapped for TGH - but that’s always easy with hindsight!!!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Yeah, he was pretty crap too. (😏😏😂😂)

Seriously, Williams took a corner down at our end not long before the pen, and he really seemed knackered. And what’s “committed” when Williams is firing on all cylinders very easily becomes “reckless” when he’s tired.

He didn’t feature last week, not sure about the other friendlies, so maybe a touch behind others? I think @NDW4CITY is right; we should have swapped for TGH - but that’s always easy with hindsight!!!

Always 20/20 right ? 😁 

• Flames 1

7 hours ago, HengroveReds said:

“Mistakes are part and parcel of the game” - exactly. You could easily blame City’s failure to win on forwards failure to take chances or midfield players hitting poor passes when in good attacking positions etc. If City had been leading by 2 or 3 goals, as their performance deserved, Williams’ mistake would just have been a footnote in the overall summary of the game 

• Like 2

Williams is a cracking player on his day. Stupid challenge but likely because not fully fit. Manning should take the blame for starting him and then not taking him off beforehand 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

8 hours ago, JAWS said:

Williams is a cracking player on his day. Stupid challenge but likely because not fully fit. Manning should take the blame for starting him and then not taking him off beforehand 

I don’t think it wasn’t because he’s not fit, I think it was more he’s a committed player and he really thought he was going to win the ball, if he didn’t challenge that Hull player could’ve easily took a touch and bang. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, HengroveReds said:

I don’t think it wasn’t because he’s not fit, I think it was more he’s a committed player and he really thought he was going to win the ball, if he didn’t challenge that Hull player could’ve easily took a touch and bang. 

So his job was to get a block in or hold the guy off, he got across well enough to do that, but couldn't restrain himself.

8 hours ago, JAWS said:

Is he really?

I've never been convinced I just don't see what he adds

Happy to be proved wrong though

4 minutes ago, frenchred said:

Is he really?

I've never been convinced I just don't see what he adds

Happy to be proved wrong though

Yep. 2nd half of last season. Hence why he got a new contract. Tbh initially i didn't think LM was that keen on him . People have short memories 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

So his job was to get a block in or hold the guy off, he got across well enough to do that, but couldn't restrain himself.

Exactly this, cover the ground quickly like he did and then hold the guy up.

it wasn’t an easy ball for the player to control anyway, so even if the Hull player got a touch he still had a lot of work today.

And during that Williams could of get himself set and well positioned.

Its a rush of blood to the head from Williams, the thing going against him is that he’s the player in the squad you’d expect to do that more than others.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, JAWS said:

Yep. 2nd half of last season. Hence why he got a new contract. Tbh initially i didn't think LM was that keen on him . People have short memories 

As I’m not convinced, what is it about the 2nd half of last season that stood out more than others.

I just don’t remember games where he’s grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck and changed things or put in a performance where I came away from the ground thinking how good he’s been that day.

7 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

As I’m not convinced, what is it about the 2nd half of last season that stood out more than others.

I just don’t remember games where he’s grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck and changed things or put in a performance where I came away from the ground thinking how good he’s been that day.

West ham is one that springs to mind

It was a terrible mistake & by all accounts a bit of a ropey performance, but we shouldn't go all in one performance. 

I was shocked to see him start & moving Bird further forward didn't really seem to work. 

If LM wants to play Knight, Bird & Williams, I think we'd be better with a flat midfield 3, allowing Bird & Knight to break from deeper positions.

What I'd really like to see is Fally & Sincs up top together. Not sure many centre backs would enjoy that combo, but 2 up top seems as fashionable as a kipper tie so i won't hold my breath.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Back of the Dolman said:

Yes a very good assist, still don’t remember him being anymore impressive than the others.

But that’s fair enough, they’ll be things I’ve probably missed and performances I’ve perceived differently. 👍

Yeah great pass for Conway's goal but I was more thinking of the home game when he basically got their player sent off & arguably led to winning us the game. 

But each to their own 👍

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JAWS said:

Yeah great pass for Conway's goal but I was more thinking of the home game when he basically got their player sent off & arguably led to winning us the game. 

But each to their own 👍

Yeah I’m not sure those two things indicate a great second half to the season but as you say each to their own 👍

17 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Joe Williams isn't a great footballer that's why. He is what he is runs around, works hard and is tough, he has 0 pace, poor first touch, poor in the pass, no creativity what so ever and can't shoot to save his life. He slows the game down if anything and i dont mean in the way matty james used to slow the game down. He is in my opinion very poor. Knight and bird I'm more then happy with and when we sign this number 10 I really don't see how joe Williams gets into the team anyway.

Edited by BCFC31
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Not sure about that, but certainly in with most reckless moment of the season! 

Maybe a rush of blood to the head but that was pure stupidity.

Also lucky not to receive a second yellow for it as well.

It was never a second yellow in my eyes any where else on the pitch it’s just a free kick 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BCFC31 said:

Joe Williams isn't a great footballer that's why. He is what he is runs around, works hard and is tough, he has 0 pace, poor first touch, poor in the pass, no creativity what so ever and can't shoot to save his life. He slows the game down if anything and i dont mean in the way matty james used to slow the game down. He is in my opinion very poor. Knight and bird I'm more then happy with and when we sign this number 10 I really don't see how joe Williams gets into the team anyway.

Maybe, maybe not. None of us on here pick the team. 

Just now, BCFC31 said:

Joe Williams isn't a great footballer that's why. He is what he is runs around works hard and is tough, he has 0 pace, poor first touch, poor in the pass, no creativity what so ever and can't shoot to save his life. He is in my opinion very poor. Knight and bird I'm more then happy with and when we sign this number 10 I really don't see how joe Williams gets into the team anyway.

Because he’s good around the place ( apparently) as Roy Keane once said about Jordan Henderson - does he do card tricks or something 

just jesting - poor day at the office for joe it happens we move on and next week it will be someone else if I remember correctly wasn’t Max a league 1 / 2 keeper at best not long ago 👀

27 minutes ago, redkev said:

Because he’s good around the place ( apparently) as Roy Keane once said about Jordan Henderson - does he do card tricks or something 

just jesting - poor day at the office for joe it happens we move on and next week it will be someone else if I remember correctly wasn’t Max a league 1 / 2 keeper at best not long ago 👀

Never got that statement, " good around the place " hire in a magician to do magic tricks once a week or hire a clown problem solved.

28 minutes ago, redkev said:

Personally I just think joe is a poor player full stop. He would be no where near my team if I was picking it.

19 hours ago, BITW said:

Huge over reaction as per usual. Yes it’s frustrating and it was a rash challenge but he’s going to be more gutted about it than anyone. Nowhere near his best today and thought he should have gone off instead of Bird tbh. 

Really hope people don’t start getting on his back, already seeing comments on Twitter calling him a useless **** etc. Same people probably praised the club for giving him a new contract.

I wonder if you’ll be saying that when we end up missing the playoffs by 2 points?  Fine margins in the championship. 

• Confused 3
  • Facepalm 4

41 minutes ago, BCFC31 said:

Never got that statement, " good around the place " hire in a magician to do magic tricks once a week or hire a clown problem solved.

Personally I just think joe is a poor player full stop. He would be no where near my team if I was picking it.

He's got that bit of edge and bite that no one else possesses, for years our midfield has been full of "nice" players, many fans have been calling out a nasty midfielder for a while. Whilst not nasty as such, he's got a bit of streak about him which at times will be invaluable. When he was breaking up play and moving the ball on quickly yesterday Williams was a much better player as that suits his game, he's not nor will ever be the quarterback midfielder. Did he make a mistake yesterday, absolutely, but that is what you get with him.

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, Graham76 said:

I wonder if you’ll be saying that when we end up missing the playoffs by 2 points?  Fine margins in the championship. 

If this is the only 2 points (or more) we drop through mistakes this season, I’ll be more than happy! However I expect it is more likely that a long old spreadsheet will be needed if we are to log every mistake that costs us, or gains us, 2 points over the season.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

6 minutes ago, Graham76 said:

If we finish two points off the play offs it will be a decent season and we’ll be looking at probably a dozen games where we could have got more. On the flip side there will no doubt be a game or two where we absolutely steal the points. If’s buts and maybe’s. For all we know had Williams jockeyed the bloke he might have turned and lashed it in the top bins. Again, IF. Over a season you’ll finish where you deserve to regardless of one player making a terrible decision in the first game of 46……..

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

He's got that bit of edge and bite that no one else possesses, for years our midfield has been full of "nice" players, many fans have been calling out a nasty midfielder for a while. Whilst not nasty as such, he's got a bit of streak about him which at times will be invaluable. When he was breaking up play and moving the ball on quickly yesterday Williams was a much better player as that suits his game, he's not nor will ever be the quarterback midfielder. Did he make a mistake yesterday, absolutely, but that is what you get with him.

Thinking you could get to a ball first and failing doesn’t make you a substandard player, it just means you messed up, nothing more or less than that. At the time it’s infuriating but the bigger picture is Williams will play his fair share of games and won’t do that again this season in all likelihood.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, eardun said:

If this is the only 2 points (or more) we drop through mistakes this season, I’ll be more than happy! However I expect it is more likely that a long old spreadsheet will be needed if we are to log every mistake that costs us, or gains us, 2 points over the season.

People forget that Fallys goal, as well taken as it was, was down to a missed swipe by their defender. Pretty much every goal ever scored, has been the result of a mistake somewhere 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

Hes a very limited player.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BCFC31 said:

Maybe that's a reason why you aren't picking the team!

😇

Edited by Redtucks
  • Like 5
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Graham76 said:

That’s a silly argument really unless no other player makes a mistake that leads to us dropping points for the entirety of the season. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Redtucks said:

Maybe that's a reason why you aren't picking the team!

😇

What a ridiculous statement. Maybe it's because I'm not a football manager employed by bristol city football club just a thought. This is a fans forum for fan opinion buddy might be worth staying off it if you don't like what this platform is used for.

Edited by BCFC31
  • Like 1