IGNORED

Joe Williams - New 3 Year Deal - CONFIRMED

Gazred

11 minutes ago, BCFC31 said:

What a ridiculous statement. Maybe it's because I'm not a football manager employed by bristol city football club just a thought. This is a fans forum for fan opinion buddy might be worth staying off it if you don't like what this platform is used for.

Exactly my point.

No problem in expressing an opinion though.

18 minutes ago, BCFC31 said:

What a ridiculous statement. Maybe it's because I'm not a football manager employed by bristol city football club just a thought. This is a fans forum for fan opinion buddy might be worth staying off it if you don't like what this platform is used for.

Exactly right, spot on.

We aren't in possession ie full fitness, training quality, attitude, best midfield blend for a specific game etc (I do wonder about full fitness given he missed the Willem II game but that's another issue).

However as a former Manager said on Twitter last year, Forums and Forums like this.

Screenshot_20240811-144952_Chrome.thumb.jpg.29beeceb81c959d8e1519f058aff73ea.jpg

"The fans forum, OTIB, which is a place of lively debate allowing genuine supporters to air their differing views".

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Graham76 said:

I wonder if you’ll be saying that when we end up missing the playoffs by 2 points?  Fine margins in the championship. 

If we missed out on the play offs by 2 points I bet there would be 50+ moments that could be highlighted as the reason for missing out on those limits and Williams may only be a hand full. 

Last season people were saying Max O'Leary wasn't good enough and that he was closing us points, despite the fact he was brilliant through most games, and today he is the reason we got a point because penalty decision aside he stopped 2-3 his Chances Hull had. 

My point is that the team will have more moments like this, players will make mistakes and as frustrating as it is and as rash as Williams was you have to take each player for their pros and their cons. Last season there was a period where Williams looked phenomenal in the middle, strong challenges, imposing himself on the opposition and breaking down attacks frequently and the fans were loving him, one bad game in the opener and people are calling for his head, it's ridiculous. 

28 minutes ago, BCFC31 said:

Hes a very limited player.

Limited in some aspects yes, but no player is a complete article, that's why you play them to their strengths and Williams in that defensive roll in the midfield can be spot on perfect when he's at his best. Unlike yesterday he's usually good at reading a situation, he's clever on cutting out passing lanes, he doesn't push too far forward too quickly and he intimidates the opposition which is something we don't have without him. 

This is the issue with some of our fans, they judge on a single performance, let's see how he is 20 games in rather than him having one bad game and becoming an "awful player". 

Also, for those saying he's a liability, so was Roy Keane, he still managed to captain his team to a champions league, 7 Premier leagues and 4 FA Cups. Sometimes you need that "liability" in the middle. 

• Like 11
  • Flames 1

36 minutes ago, Spike said:

If we missed out on the play offs by 2 points I bet there would be 50+ moments that could be highlighted as the reason for missing out on those limits and Williams may only be a hand full. 

Last season people were saying Max O'Leary wasn't good enough and that he was closing us points, despite the fact he was brilliant through most games, and today he is the reason we got a point because penalty decision aside he stopped 2-3 his Chances Hull had. 

My point is that the team will have more moments like this, players will make mistakes and as frustrating as it is and as rash as Williams was you have to take each player for their pros and their cons. Last season there was a period where Williams looked phenomenal in the middle, strong challenges, imposing himself on the opposition and breaking down attacks frequently and the fans were loving him, one bad game in the opener and people are calling for his head, it's ridiculous. 

Limited in some aspects yes, but no player is a complete article, that's why you play them to their strengths and Williams in that defensive roll in the midfield can be spot on perfect when he's at his best. Unlike yesterday he's usually good at reading a situation, he's clever on cutting out passing lanes, he doesn't push too far forward too quickly and he intimidates the opposition which is something we don't have without him. 

This is the issue with some of our fans, they judge on a single performance, let's see how he is 20 games in rather than him having one bad game and becoming an "awful player". 

Also, for those saying he's a liability, so was Roy Keane, he still managed to captain his team to a champions league, 7 Premier leagues and 4 FA Cups. Sometimes you need that "liability" in the middle. 

Personally I think matty james was more what your describing here. Great at putting out fires and keeping his distribution calm and simple. May I also add I have watched every single game Williams has played in since he joined the club so my opinion is certainly not based off of 1 game. He isn't a new signing known of us have never heard of.

Edited by BCFC31

His strengths and weaknesses are clearly known to all, L.M. obviously took the view that giving him the 3 year contract he still saw him as an asset. Now right from the start he has made himself the subject of scrutiny, playing on the edge maybe part of his game ,clear opportunities are there for other midfielders who can perform that role with greater discipline.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BCFC31 said:

Hes a very limited player.

Perhaps so, he's arguably the best in the club at simply breaking up play and distributing to the ball players, he was effective at that especially in the 2nd half yesterday. He's also very good at disrupting other teams and getting under the opposition midfielders skin, he did that excellently at West Ham last year. A very useful player who is at his best under the radar.

• Like 4

We don’t have a player like Joe at the club so I feel it’s ridiculous saying “X should’ve been subbed on.” TGH in for Joe isn’t a straight swap they perform completely different roles, whilst playing the same position. 

TGH is no where near the ball winner Joe is, but Joe is not as good on the ball as TGH, and I think with ten minutes to go at 1-0 up I’d rather have a ball winner on the pitch than a more attacking minded player. 

Maybe that’s how Manning saw it and on another day it’s the correct decision. Unfortunately, Joe made a very bad mistake but it doesn’t take away from his qualities and the why he was still on the pitch at that point.

Against a team like Hull I’d always prefer Joe in over TGH, however with Milwall coming up I’d say that’s a game I’d rather have TGH play in. Or neither of those two if we have Twine in.

• Like 3

Most of my thoughts on Joe’s performance yesterday (not generally are formed on two main things:

- not sure why he broke up Bird and Knight in CM and imho wasted Bird’s distribution from a conventional midfield role which still allows him to get forward (and harder to pick up)

- the things he did poorly, namely silly yellow card, silly penalty, swinger of a left foot shot on edge of box (oh for Bird to me coming on to it - see point1), an easy long ball to Mehmeti in acres that he faded out for a goal kick 

Those things frustrated me hugely. But he did some good things too.  After a nervy team opening 15, Joe was the man dropping between the CBs to get us moving forward.  He intercepted/ won a few balls and distributed quickly.

His set-pieces weren’t good, but he can take a mean set-piece, and he was our top “assister” last season!

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Most of my thoughts on Joe’s performance yesterday (not generally are formed on two main things:

- not sure why he broke up Bird and Knight in CM and imho wasted Bird’s distribution from a conventional midfield role which still allows him to get forward (and harder to pick up)

- the things he did poorly, namely silly yellow card, silly penalty, swinger of a left foot shot on edge of box (oh for Bird to me coming on to it - see point1), an easy long ball to Mehmeti in acres that he faded out for a goal kick 

Those things frustrated me hugely. But he did some good things too.  After a nervy team opening 15, Joe was the man dropping between the CBs to get us moving forward.  He intercepted/ won a few balls and distributed quickly.

His set-pieces weren’t good, but he can take a mean set-piece, and he was our top “assister” last season!

I think Manning felt “he had to pick him” after the new contract. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I just think Joe is one of those players whose heart sometimes rules his head. Sometimes that is OK and it will work out, unfortunately yesterday wasn't like that and there wasn't enough time for him or any other one of our players to do something about it. Of course if we had taken one of the chances we created earlier in the game then the penalty could just have been a consolation goal for them.

M

29 minutes ago, E.G.Red said:

I just think Joe is one of those players whose heart sometimes rules his head. Sometimes that is OK and it will work out, unfortunately yesterday wasn't like that and there wasn't enough time for him or any other one of our players to do something about it. Of course if we had taken one of the chances we created earlier in the game then the penalty could just have been a consolation goal for them.

M

Yes everyone naturally focusing on the Williams error but we hadn't made the most of dominance before that. So lots of players errors culminating in a result that shouldve been a win. 

Players like Joe are quite unique these days. A midfield enforcer. Nasty git. It's a bit old fashioned but I happen to think every team needs one. And glad we have. He also seems to be a great character in the dressing room. Creates a good atmosphere & sense of camaraderie.

I didn't hear too many dissenting voices when he signed the new deal. In fact quite the opposite.

That challenge yesterday won't be the reason we don't succeed this season. It will be the overall lack of quality. 

I can understand the reaction in the immediate aftermath of the game but people should be a bit more rational on reflection. 

• Like 4
  • Flames 2

13 hours ago, JAWS said:

Yes everyone naturally focusing on the Williams error but we hadn't made the most of dominance before that. So lots of players errors culminating in a result that shouldve been a win. 

Players like Joe are quite unique these days. A midfield enforcer. Nasty git. It's a bit old fashioned but I happen to think every team needs one. And glad we have. He also seems to be a great character in the dressing room. Creates a good atmosphere & sense of camaraderie.

I didn't hear too many dissenting voices when he signed the new deal. In fact quite the opposite.

That challenge yesterday won't be the reason we don't succeed this season. It will be the overall lack of quality. 

I can understand the reaction in the immediate aftermath of the game but people should be a bit more rational on reflection. 

Whilst it was an error from Williams, we have also had 2 men taken out by a throw in the last min of the game which meant a cross came in 

Edited by Rob k
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Spike said:

Roy Keane was another era. What about sides promoted from this level (without parachute payments) over the last, since we've been back in it: how many had a loose-canon, red-mist midfield "enforcer" playing 35 games plus? It might be every one, I don'tknow, but if it is then carry on; if it's none, what are we doing?

On 11/08/2024 at 09:18, JAWS said:

Yep. 2nd half of last season. Hence why he got a new contract. Tbh initially i didn't think LM was that keen on him . People have short memories 

Do what does he add to our team?

On 11/08/2024 at 09:42, Back of the Dolman said:

I think I agree with this, and that’s nothing to do with yesterday.

My view is not just based on Saturday and his mindless challenge but a view built up over time

5 minutes ago, Saborios Socks said:

Stokes for Williams with bird and knight in the cm roles.

Yeah let's throw Stokes in vs a physical side with 2 into 3 CM who have beaten us at AG the last 2 years.

Bird and Knight deeper ie the 2 CM but Stokes?? This early from the start.

This thread summarises the worst of OTIB quite well.

It was a really poor challenge and it has cost us.

That doesn't make him suddenly dreadful when half of the posters going OTT were probably quite happy for him to renew his contract.

If he plays tomorrow night and scores a screamer while breaking up Coventry attacks well it won't suddenly make him world class either.

He's a midtableish Championship player, one who plays with a bit of an edge to his game. But it's an edge that's needed, it's a part of who he is as a player.

Unfortunately it cost us 2 points on Saturday but we should have been at a point where it didn't cost us regardless. We were wasteful when we had chances.

Calling for Williams to donate a weeks wages to charity over it are ridiculous and I'm sure the same isn't being said of Wells who should have given Mayulu a tap in, or of Sykes whose crossing went to Downs league standard for the game.

• Like 7
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 1

17 minutes ago, Severn Beach Pigeon said:

This thread summarises the worst of OTIB quite well.

It was a really poor challenge and it has cost us.

That doesn't make him suddenly dreadful when half of the posters going OTT were probably quite happy for him to renew his contract.

If he plays tomorrow night and scores a screamer while breaking up Coventry attacks well it won't suddenly make him world class either.

He's a midtableish Championship player, one who plays with a bit of an edge to his game. But it's an edge that's needed, it's a part of who he is as a player.

Unfortunately it cost us 2 points on Saturday but we should have been at a point where it didn't cost us regardless. We were wasteful when we had chances.

Calling for Williams to donate a weeks wages to charity over it are ridiculous and I'm sure the same isn't being said of Wells who should have given Mayulu a tap in, or of Sykes whose crossing went to Downs league standard for the game.

Joe needs the "edge," or the team?

2 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

Joe needs the "edge," or the team?

Arguably both.

I think it's a key part to his game, and without it he'd be a lesser player (see what others said about the West Ham games).

I think that most sides also need someone with a bit of an edge to them too. The ones who look to walk the league can get away without it, but for the rest of us we need a player who will get stuck in and make others uncomfortable on the ball.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Severn Beach Pigeon said:

Arguably both.

I think it's a key part to his game, and without it he'd be a lesser player (see what others said about the West Ham games).

I think that most sides also need someone with a bit of an edge to them too. The ones who look to walk the league can get away without it, but for the rest of us we need a player who will get stuck in and make others uncomfortable on the ball.

20 years ago maybe

Not in today's (almost non contact) game

It was stupid (at best), unprofessional and not needed

37 minutes ago, Severn Beach Pigeon said:

Arguably both.

I don't get this 'get stuck in' attitude. For me Williams is an accident waiting to happen pretty much every time he sets foot on the pitch. It isn't because he 'gets stuck in'. It's because his technique isn't good enough and he's too slow.

It isn't hindsight for me, I didn't think we should've offered him a contract at the end of last season.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, robin_unreliant said:

I don't get this 'get stuck in' attitude. For me Williams is an accident waiting to happen pretty much every time he sets foot on the pitch. It isn't because he 'gets stuck in'. It's because his technique isn't good enough and he's too slow.

It isn't hindsight for me, I didn't think we should've offered him a contract at the end of last season.

It has a time and a place.

But the 'get stuck in' attitude is a big part of how we beat W'Ham.

They didn't like the physicality from Williams and TGH. It threw them off their game and wound them up, to the point of one player getting a silly red card and handing us a platform to see the game out more easily.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Severn Beach Pigeon said:

plays with a bit of an edge to his game. But it's an edge that's needed

Simply brainless challenge & totally lacking composure in the circumstances.

It's not as though he's short of experience - didn't use his 'loaf at all..

If that's "edge" we can well manage without it.

Edited by Son of Fred
  • Facepalm 2

28 minutes ago, Son of Fred said:

Simply brainless challenge & totally lacking composure in the circumstances.

It's not as though he's short of experience - didn't use his 'loaf at all..

If that's "edge" we can well manage without it.

Yes, he made a rash challenge and was wrong to do so.

I said that in my first post on this thread

But there are other games (once again, West Ham was a prime example) where having a player with a bit of edge to them comes in handy for us.

Let's stop redefining "edge" to just mean a stupid tackle that cost us. That's what it was in this specific situation.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Severn Beach Pigeon said:

Yes, he made a rash challenge and was wrong to do so.

I said that in my first post on this thread

But there are other games (once again, West Ham was a prime example) where having a player with a bit of edge to them comes in handy for us.

Let's stop redefining "edge" to just mean a stupid tackle that cost us. That's what it was in this specific situation.

Came in very handy,,didn't it...as I said,,brainless.

Not what you want from a senior player whom needs to be setting example..

• Facepalm 1

6 minutes ago, Son of Fred said:

Came in very handy,,didn't it...as I said,,brainless.

Not what you want from a senior player whom needs to be setting example..

Sure.

What's your point? Other than looking for an argument, because I haven't disagreed with what you said but you keep on repeating it.

"Brainless"...

7 hours ago, Severn Beach Pigeon said:

Nobody said it is.

Try reading what was said instead of inventing something to disagree with.

I’m not disagreeing with anything!
You mentioned the ‘edge’ that’s why I quoted you.

This is simply my view which I think I’m entitled to have on a forum.

On 11/08/2024 at 15:33, BCFC31 said:

Personally I think matty james was more what your describing here. Great at putting out fires and keeping his distribution calm and simple. May I also add I have watched every single game Williams has played in since he joined the club so my opinion is certainly not based off of 1 game. He isn't a new signing known of us have never heard of.

I'd say James was definitely of this build but no opposition players were intimidated by him, Williams is more physical and aggressive and that's why he's been getting abuse, because he had a bad game and his physicality and aggression actually backfired on him. In that same vein it was that approach that really riled up and got under West Ham skin when he played so well against them. 

As I've said before, he's the type of player you need for a physical match to upset the opposition, something we lack in most of our players. 

On 12/08/2024 at 08:25, Bristol Oil Services said:

Roy Keane was another era. What about sides promoted from this level (without parachute payments) over the last, since we've been back in it: how many had a loose-canon, red-mist midfield "enforcer" playing 35 games plus? It might be every one, I don'tknow, but if it is then carry on; if it's none, what are we doing?

I'd say most teams have a physical imposing player, which is more what I'm trying to get across. Williams is hot headed and for that a risk but do we have any other options who do offer a physicality in the middle? 

I personally don't think we do, TGH isn't it, Knigtt is more an engine than a physical player who will win the ball through constant pressing than by imposing himself on the opposition. Bird looks more the technical player who uses his technique to prevent physicality.

As a player playing against us, knowing Williams isn't playing would give me more confidence to get on the ball and play my game, having him on the pitch makes me look around when receiving the ball, second guess whether I'm about to be put to the ground etc which is exactly what annoyed West Ham, that they couldn't play passes comfortably without fear of a physical presence. 

• Like 1

On 12/08/2024 at 10:58, QuedgeRed said:

My first reaction was that he’s thrown the match!!

On reflection I don’t think that is the case, but I bet a lot more of this goes on than we ever know about.

It was so bad and so brain dead that this was what I thought at the time as well and said as much to my mates in the whatsapp groups, something like "he must have had money on a draw!!". in real time give the situation in the match it was so daft you felt it had to be deliberate. Now like you, I am sure that was not the case and it was just Joe being what he is "daft and thoughtless", but as I have calmed down since, I have a foot in both camps..... dont want him to lose his "bite" as it makes him the player he is. but he has run out of "chances" for me. his Yellow card in the first half was also wasteful and "crap" as the player was going nowhere in his own half...... I get it if he gets it in a last ditch challenge. but it was nothing of the sort. 

Also add in he is not a teenage in his first few games, where nerves will have played a part, so he has little excuse for it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spike said:

I'd say most teams have a physical imposing player, which is more what I'm trying to get across. Williams is hot headed and for that a risk but do we have any other options who do offer a physicality in the middle? 

I personally don't think we do, TGH isn't it, Knigtt is more an engine than a physical player who will win the ball through constant pressing than by imposing himself on the opposition. Bird looks more the technical player who uses his technique to prevent physicality.

As a player playing against us, knowing Williams isn't playing would give me more confidence to get on the ball and play my game, having him on the pitch makes me look around when receiving the ball, second guess whether I'm about to be put to the ground etc which is exactly what annoyed West Ham, that they couldn't play passes comfortably without fear of a physical presence. 

What an absolute load of rubbish!

Do you seriously think in this day and age with all the protection they get from refs (it's nearly a non contact sport!) they get on the ball and think of I wonder where Williams is? Hope he don't challenge me!!

Edited by frenchred

18 minutes ago, frenchred said:

Do you seriously think in this day and age with all the protection they get from refs (it's nearly a non contact sport!) they get on the ball and think of I wonder where Williams is? Hope he don't challenge me!!

For some players, absolutely they’ll be thinking “am I about to get clattered by player x”.  Some players carry that presence with them.

No striker ever thinks Zak Vyner is gonna go through them when they get a ball into feet, but that doesn’t mean that someone like Kyle McFadzean isn’t gonna try and nail you the first chance he gets.  And as a striker you know that, you’ll be less assured with your first touch on occasions as a result.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, frenchred said:

I'm guessing you've never played football? One physical challenge when you're not used to it is certainly enough to make people look around a little more and be more wary, I mean one bad injury can stall your career these days. Call it rubbish all you like but it's been discussed in length by footballers how every mental aspect of the game has an effect.

8 minutes ago, JAWS said:

What a difference a week makes in football. Villain last week. Assist for the winner today! 

Cost us two points last week and helped earn us two today with the assist. They do say these things even themselves out over the course of a season 🤣

• Like 1

He had a good game today, especially last 25 mins.  Superb cross.  Redemption.

Did you see him after the winning goal giving it large to Lansdown Stand (in a good, celebratory way).

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 5