IGNORED

Where do we all live? a two minute survey

This is kind of a follow-up to the 'Where do you live' thread.  I thought it would be interesting to survey which football team people support and where people live.  I will publish the results when (if) the survey gets 500 responses.  

I am particularly interested in comparing how many City v Rovers supporters there are in towns up and down the land.

Here is the link to the survey.  It takes less than 2 minutes.    Link to the survey

Feel free to send the link to whoever you want.  

Cheers.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Many thanks again for your responses.  Here is a quick summary as of today at 8:30am:

91 responses  👍  This is just from OTIB.

7 are from outside the UK = 7.7%
91 - 7 = 84 in the UK 

Of those 84 respondents in the UK, 59 are outside of Bristol = 70.2% 

Tbh I'm surprised by how many are from outside of Bristol.

It would be great if you could share the link to friends and family - https://forms.office.com/e/YPP80gqfhs

Edited by White Stripe
data is only from OTIB

10 hours ago, mightyreds89 said:

This would be better if there was a poll on here showing where City fans live in Bristol/surrounding areas etc.

I think Bristol is Redder than we think more city shirts in bs16/south Glos than gas.  

This is a nice idea and is something I am thinking about for my survey. 

Would you limit this poll to people living in BS postcodes?  

You'd have to survey rovers supporters if you wanted to know if there were more City than Rovers in any given BS code, but a poll just of just OTIB users by BS code could be interesting.

Also, it might be interesting to see where people grew up?

I was born and raised in Thornbury, S Glos. And started going to AG with my uncle in the 82-83 season. 

I also went to a Rovers game down at Eastville. All I can remember about that game is that the game seemed very very far away.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

Why would I give my email address, nickname etc ?

Fair questions. 

The email address is the only unique piece of info.  It is to help deal with the same person completing the survey more than once.  It has happened. I don't know whether it was an accident or meant to be. 

Nickname is optional. I will display the data in a list at some stage.  I don't want people to think it's all made-up so we need some way of showing it's real. Email is confidential for obvious reasons, so I thought nickname would do the job.  About 90% of people have added something in the nickname field.

Let me know if you have ay more questions. It's all a bit of a learning curve.

12 hours ago, White Stripe said:

This is a nice idea and is something I am thinking about for my survey. 

Would you limit this poll to people living in BS postcodes?  

You'd have to survey rovers supporters if you wanted to know if there were more City than Rovers in any given BS code, but a poll just of just OTIB users by BS code could be interesting.

Personally would name every suburb of Bristol and South Glos/North Somerset and then every county across the UK with an overseas continent option. 

• Like 1

If you're really trying to get at the identity of City fans (or football fans more generally) I think you may have needed a few more questions. The survey makes it look like I'm an Australian because I happen to live in Sydney at the moment (and previously lived in Toronto) - but I was born in Bemmy Down and moved away for work. 

5 hours ago, Tom said:

If you're really trying to get at the identity of City fans (or football fans more generally) I think you may have needed a few more questions. The survey makes it look like I'm an Australian because I happen to live in Sydney at the moment (and previously lived in Toronto) - but I was born in Bemmy Down and moved away for work. 

I take your point.  It's more of a snapshot of where supporters are now. There's also a need to keep questions to an absolute minimum - I originally had place and country as the same field. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Stats update as of 08:30 this morning.

Respondents: 169    👍
Not in the UK: 17 - 10.1%
In the UK: 152 - 89.9%

City supporters not in Bristol, but in UK: 109 - 71.7%
City supporters in Bristol: 42- 27.6%

We now have one Rovers supporter, in the UK but outside of Bristol.

Here's a list of the countries - there are more than one supporter in some countries :

Australia
Austria
Canada 
Cyprus 
France
Ireland
Italy
Jersey
Singapore
Switzerland 
Thailand
Netherlands
USA

Thanks again to everyone who completed the survey.  Here's the link again: https://forms.office.com/e/YPP80gqfhs

Edited by White Stripe
countries
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, White Stripe said:

We now have one Rovers supporter, in the UK but outside of Bristol.

Hello Miah! It's only a matter of time before you become a red. 

• Like 1

Be interesting to see how many City fans don't live in Bristol, City have always had a big fan base outside the city they have always been the club for Somerset , you only got to get the train up from Taunton to Bristol on a match day to see how many people in city tops get on at every station 

• Like 4

On 30/05/2024 at 08:42, White Stripe said:

Many thanks again for your responses.  Here is a quick summary as of today at 8:30am:

91 - 7 = 84 in the UK 

It would be great if you could share the link to friends and family - https://forms.office.com/e/YPP80gqfhs

You need to remember that OTIB is probably not reflective of the wider supporter base. 

I'd hypothesise that fans living outside of Bristol are more likely to be OTIB members.

I'd also posit that a fan living outside of Bristol is more likely to respond to your survey than one living within Bristol.

If you're truly trying to draw conclusions from this then you need to reflect on the biases and assumptions in both your question and your subjects.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

You need to remember that OTIB is probably not reflective of the wider supporter base. 

I'd hypothesise that fans living outside of Bristol are more likely to be OTIB members.

I'd also posit that a fan living outside of Bristol is more likely to respond to your survey than one living within Bristol.

If you're truly trying to draw conclusions from this then you need to reflect on the biases and assumptions in both your question and your subjects.

Thanks for this. 
Indeed I am an 'exile' and my interest partly stems from this.  And sure, OTIB is representative of OTIB and that's about it.
Fortunately, I am am not testing any hypotheses. Also I have no intention of collecting demographic data such as age, gender, race, income level, marital status etc.  Gone are the days I was involved in such work.  This is a simple survey not a research project.  
I'm just happy and interested to see where other City fans live.  

• Like 1

I live now in Norn Iron (Northern Ireland). Been over here for 19 years. Have great friends who help me get to games. Saw 3 last season (Boro and Ipswich away). Then there are all the games watched on Robins TV when available in UK plus the Sky red button versions etc.

Annual subscribers to the radio version.  June and July are my detox months! 

• Like 1

Born in Southmead Hospital,  early years lived in Fishponds and then moved further north east to Downend.

Now live in the extreme north east of Bristol - near Spalding!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Must have improved somewhat since I left (albeit 50 years ago) ,lined there for 9 years growing up, hated every minute of it !

The bit I live in is fairly new, I think its probably got some areas that aren't great but same as other areas I mean I grew up in knowle west. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 01/06/2024 at 22:09, Grey Fox said:

So did I . 

@harvey54 @ExiledAjax

hi thanks for your feedback. 

If you guys are nervous about your email address then don't use it. Consider using a free service like Proton Mail: https://proton.me/mail  
I am not affiliated with them but I have a Proton email address for signing-up for things that are one-offs, like this survey. They seem good. 

There are several reasons for asking for an email address. 

First, it is so that I can say, hand on heart and to the best of my ability, that every response is real, rather than data I made-up to prove City is better supported across England than the gas (though that goes without saying). I think that's important. Also some spam bot email can be identified by the email address. It's not perfect, I know.

Secondly, it helps to weed-out people completing the form more than once, which has happened. This helps keep the data accurate.

The third reason is that I will email everyone a link to the data when it is published - it's part of the deal for taking part in the survey. The data will be interative so you can filter by location (I have some other ideas).  You can opt out of that on the survey form, around a third of people have - in fact that opts you out of any contact by email.  I will honour that.  This is the only time your email address will be used.

Fourth, it's the only way I can identify someone who asks for their data to be deleted. 

In terms of trust, I'm going to PM some of you my mobile number so you can text or WhatsApp or call me to discuss any of the above.

Thanks.

Edited by White Stripe
pre coffee time typos
  • Like 2

Stats update as at 9:00am 03/06/24    

Respondents: 230 - up from 169 on Friday - thanks again for taking part.  👍

Not in the UK: 19 - 8.3%
In the UK: 211 - 91.7% - there are 107 different locations in the UK

City supporters in Bristol: 60 - 28.4%
City supporters not in Bristol, but in UK: 151 - 71.6%

Supportes come from the following countries    
Australia    
Austria    
Canada     
Cyprus     
France    
Guernsey    👋
Ireland    
Italy    
Jersey    
Netherlands    
Singapore    
Switzerland     
Thailand    
USA    

• Like 2

As we have 4 countries that make up the UK, any chance you can provide the stats for Wales, Scotland and Norn Iron? Look upon it as matching the national Football Associations of the area!

I'd be very interested in how many City fans are living in this part of the world. Bizarrely, 2 fanatical City fans from Bristol moved recently to become very near neighbours. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

As we have 4 countries that make up the UK, any chance you can provide the stats for Wales, Scotland and Norn Iron? Look upon it as matching the national Football Associations of the area!

I'd be very interested in how many City fans are living in this part of the world. Bizarrely, 2 fanatical City fans from Bristol moved recently to become very near neighbours. 

Good idea. 

England: 195    - 92.4%
Northern Ireland: 3 - 1.4%
Scotland: 2 - 0.9%
Wales: 11    - 5.2%
Total: 211

Feel free to send the link to the survey to any of your football supporting friends in Northern Ireland or elsewhere. Here's the link:  https://forms.office.com/e/YPP80gqfhs  

• Thanks 1

On 30/05/2024 at 09:30, DaveInSA said:

Also, it might be interesting to see where people grew up?

I was born and raised in Thornbury, S Glos. And started going to AG with my uncle in the 82-83 season. 

I also went to a Rovers game down at Eastville. All I can remember about that game is that the game seemed very very far away.

That's maybe because they'd moved to Bath?

• Haha 4

Posted (edited)

Hi everyone I hope you're having a great summer despite the weather and the football.  

This is an update on the responses to the 'Where do you live' survey.  I've written a script to analyse the data (thanks AI) - please let me know if you see any errors.

If you would like to vote please click this link https://bit.ly/football-fan-survey   It takes around 90 seconds.

Number of supporters 254   Thanks!

Unique countries 18

Supporters from outside the UK  21 (8.3%)

Supporters from the UK  233 (91.7%)

Countries and Places

Australia - 4
Canberra - 1
Huonville Tasmania - 1
Sydney - 2

Austria - 1
Vienna - 1

Canada - 3
Lindsay - 1
Maple Ridge - 1
Woodstock - 1

Cyprus - 1
Paphos - 1

England - 217
Alveston S Glos - 1
Andover - 1
Attleborough - 1
Backwell - 1
Barnstaple - 2
Basingstoke - 1
Bath - 6
Belfast - 1
Berkeley - 1
Bexhill East Sussex - 1
Bishop Sutton - 1
Bodmin Cornwall - 1
Bradford on Avon - 1
Bradley Stoke - 1
Bridgwater - 2
Brighton - 1
Brighton & Hove - 1
Bristol - 65
Burnham on sea - 1
Burrington - 1
Castle Cary - 1
Charfield - 1
Chatteris - 1
Cheddar - 1
Cheltenham - 2
Chippenham - 2
Chudleigh - 1
Claverham - 1
Cleeve North Somerset - 1
Clevedon - 5
Colyton Devon - 1
Corsham - 1
Cricklade Wiltshire - 1
Cullompton - 1
Dartford - 1
Derby - 1
Droitwich Spa - 1
Dursley - 2
Eastleigh - 1
Emersons Green - 1
Evesham - 1
Exeter - 1
Farmborough near Bath - 1
Filton - 2
Frampton Cotterell - 1
Frome - 2
Frome somerset - 1
Gerrards Cross - 1
Gloucester - 3
High Wycombe - 2
Highbridge Somerset - 1
Hinckley - 1
Hungerford - 1
Keynsham - 1
Langport - 1
Leeds - 2
Leicester - 1
Lincoln - 1
Liskeard - 1
Liverpool - 1
London - 11
Loughton Essex - 1
Luckington - 1
Market Lavington Devizes - 1
Midsomer Norton - 1
Minehead - 1
Nailsea - 3
Nantwich - 1
Oakham - 1
Okehampton Devon - 1
Ormskirk - 1
Pill North Somerset Nr Bristol - 1
Plymouth - 1
Portishead - 6
Preston - 1
Radstock - 1
Reading - 1
Ringwood - 1
Ross on Wye - 1
Rudgeway Nr Thornbury - 1
Salisburgy - 1
Shaftesbury Dorset - 1
Shepton mallet - 1
Sherborne Dorset - 1
Slimbridge - 1
Stogursey - 1
Stoke gifford - 1
Swindon - 5
Taunton - 1
Tetbury - 1
Thornbury - 2
Trowbridge - 4
Wallasey - 1
Wellington - 1
Wells - 1
Westbury on Trym - 1
Westbury Wiltshire - 1
Weston-super-Mare - 4
weymouth - 1
Winterbourne South Glos - 1
Wotton under Edge - 1
Yate - 2
Yatton - 1
Yeovil - 1

France - 1
Limoges - 1

Guernsey - 1
Vale - 1

Ireland - 1
Cork - 1

Italy - 1
Cesena - 1

Jersey - 1
St Saviour - 1

Northern Ireland - 3
Ballymoney - 3

Scotland - 2
Aberlour - 1
Earlston - 1

Singapore - 1
Singapore - 1

Switzerland - 1
Bern - 1

Thailand - 1
Chiang Mai - 1

The Netherlands - 1
Utrecht - 1
USA - 3
Cary North Carolina - 1
Davenport (Iowa) - 1
Marietta - 1

Wales - 11
Buckley - 1
Caldicot - 1
Cardiff - 3
Chepstow - 1
Near Havefordwest - 1
Newport - 1
Newtown - 1
Pontypool - 1
Swansea - 1

Edited by White Stripe

On 04/06/2024 at 11:32, cheese said:

That's maybe because they'd moved to Bath?

Thanks for giving me the biggest laugh since listening to 'John and Marsha' by Stan Freburg. 

Edited by Curr Avon

On 01/06/2024 at 09:56, Roper said:

Born in a flat in Lawrence Weston .Raised in Avonmouth but teen years in Shirehampton . Lived in Pill for 41 years now . 

Very similar to me, spookily so in fact.

On 01/06/2024 at 09:56, Roper said:

Born in a flat in Lawrence Weston .Raised in Avonmouth but teen years in Shirehampton . Lived in Pill for 41 years now . 

My god, you've had it tough

A city supporter in Earlston. My brother in law lives there. It's about the last place I'd have expected a city fan to be. 

Surprised to see Swindon scored highly. Going to Bristol to watch the football doesn't half remind you how awful Swindon's cultural offer is. 

On 18/07/2024 at 06:23, Port Said Red said:

It seems our Swedish contingent are missing, perhaps they didn't see the poll.

There is one in the latest data, from Norrtälje. The missus and I love Swedish drama. I think the accent is fab.

image.png.47e11e0f74165c6bdd1e3934aef9f9d3.png

On 30/05/2024 at 08:42, White Stripe said:

91 - 7 = 84 in the UK 

City do have a high fan base outside of Bristol have done for years especially my area of Somerset.

• Like 2

Very very healthy contingent across the bridge , especially from Newport right up to FOD and beyond . Been that way since the 70’s and added to with the fans that move across the bridge aswell . Plenty of City in and around my patch , Caldicot, also tainted by a few tent dwellers aswell

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Wealwayseatcheese said:

Very very healthy contingent across the bridge , especially from Newport right up to FOD and beyond . Been that way since the 70’s and added to with the fans that move across the bridge aswell . Plenty of City in and around my patch , Caldicot, also tainted by a few tent dwellers aswell

I live in deepest West Wales still have a season ticket and make as many games as I can, Local pub has a few Swansea one Cardiff and surprisingly loads of M U and Liverpool likers! Did see a saghead who lives here ,took the pish.... haven't seen him since!

12 minutes ago, trickydickiecardigan said:

I live in deepest West Wales still have a season ticket and make as many games as I can, Local pub has a few Swansea one Cardiff and surprisingly loads of M U and Liverpool likers! Did see a saghead who lives here ,took the pish.... haven't seen him since!

Love West Wales, went to lovely campsite near St. David’s last week, surprising how many English reside over that way