IGNORED

rubbish City designs - the gift that keeps on giving.

Antman

i know it looks like it's just JL bashing, but WHO the **** is responsible for the shite designs they churn out?

in the Joe Williams pics he's wearing another different 'logo'/city design that actually reads as CITV - because some numbnuts has shortened the 'Y' too much.

it shouldn't be this difficult to create some better designs for merch, and maybe keeping a degree of consistency would help too - y'know, build a brand and that?

• Like 2

Just now, Antman said:

thats probably written in giant Comic Sans on his office wall....

It's the sort of thing a local council would have underneath their logo 'We exist to inspire' 'Making Bristol proud' 'We Always Believe'.

The people in charge just don't get football and the fans that go along.

• Like 1

Just now, 2015 said:

It's the sort of thing a local council would have underneath their logo 'We exist to inspire' 'Making Bristol proud' 'We Always Believe'.

true - it's another 'thing' on company profiles that grates.

the railway sheds as you come into Paddington have 'Inspire the next' on them (Hitachi) ...the next what? train?

my recently departed mum was using a solitior that had 'you deserve better' on it's stationary - makes me laugh every time i see it.

Just glib bullshit slogans.

Just now, Tim Monaghan said:

What would you do? 

hire a designer

• Like 5
  • Flames 2

8 minutes ago, Antman said:

the railway sheds as you come into Paddington have 'Inspire the next' on them (Hitachi) ...the next what? train?

my recently departed mum was using a solitior that had 'you deserve better' on it's stationary - makes me laugh every time i see it.

Sorry to hear about your mum Antman.

The company I work for (medical service company) has 'DELIVER TO INSPIRE' emblazoned across the wall in the UK office reception area. I don't even know what that means!

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, kmpowell said:

https://www.reachfeverpitch.com

See if you recognise anyone in their team of "talent" https://www.reachfeverpitch.com/talent

:rolleyes:

oh god.........thats terrifying.

'maverick thinker'   hmmmmmm, i know another phrase thats more accurate.

i had the unfortunate experience of working with a design agency that was run by the son of a very rich man, it was all much the same.

shite design dressed up as crazy, zany funsters.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Tim Monaghan said:

What would you do? 

Bristol City FC.

Done.

11 minutes ago, Antman said:

hire a designer

Jon's been scrolling through LinkedIn profiles hasn't he.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)

It is so easy to be critical and make digs from behind a keyboard...............but honestly, the standard of design and art work, apart from a couple of exceptions is really quite poor.  I have a  close relative who is a tattoo artist and he designs better images than most of these on a daily basis?

Edited by maxjak
  • Like 1
  • Flames 1

I admit the t-shirt Joe is wearing isn't great but why do people get so angry about this? Bristol City is a football club not a fashion house. If the t-shirt is on sale you're not obliged to buy it. If you're going to get 'shirty' about City clothing save it for the kit they might be asked to play in. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, maxjak said:

It is so easy to be critical and make digs from behind a keyboard...............but honestly, the standard of design and art work, apart from a couple of exceptions is really quite poor.  I have a  close relative who is a tattoo artist and he designs better images than most of these on a daily basis?

Why is it easy to be critical behind a keyboard? We're fans and can voice our opinions.

I'd say it to Jon's face - it makes us look corporate and pathetic.

• Like 3

Just now, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I admit the t-shirt Joe is wearing isn't great but why do people get so angry about this? Bristol City is a football club not a fashion house. If the t-shirt is on sale you're not obliged to buy it. If you're going to get 'shirty' about City clothing save it for the kit they might be asked to play in. 

not angry, just frustrating that a championship club can't seem to get some pretty basic design tenets in place.

this stuff is page 1 of any design brief, it's not complicated, it just requires a degree of ability and creativity. (which they absolutely seem to NOT have)

(10 points for the 'shirty' pun though :) )

Just now, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Because it's symptomatic of the lack of professionalism at the club. Which is what you get if the club becomes a toy for the owner's son to play with.

• Like 4
  • Flames 4

Just now, Antman said:

not angry, just frustrating that a championship club can't seem to get some pretty basic design tenets in place.

this stuff is page 1 of any design brief, it's not complicated, it just requires a degree of ability and creativity. (which they absolutely seem to NOT have)

(10 points for the 'shirty' pun though :) )

I understand the point but anything in house is better than the crap Adidas used to come up with. 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, chinapig said:

Because it's symptomatic of the lack of professionalism at the club. Which is what you get if the club becomes a toy for the owner's son to play with.

They can have all the LinkedIn, Google images quotes inspirations in the World, but it doesn't build a successful Football team does it? 

Just simple - Bristol City FC. All that it needs, that's who we are. I as a fan do not exist to inspire anyone, other than wanting my team to be  the best as possible on the pitch, couldn't give a **** about anything else.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I understand the point but anything in house is better than the crap Adidas used to come up with. 

can't agree - we should just employ competent people.

this seems to be an issue across the club mind, so not holding my breath.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

"Jon, the founder of Fever Pitch, is a maverick thinker. From putting dogs in kits to envisioning innovative designs, his creativity knows no bounds."

Just not this please.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Antman said:

i know it looks like it's just JL bashing, but WHO the **** is responsible for the shite designs they churn out?

in the Joe Williams pics he's wearing another different 'logo'/city design that actually reads as CITV - because some numbnuts has shortened the 'Y' too much.

it shouldn't be this difficult to create some better designs for merch, and maybe keeping a degree of consistency would help too - y'know, build a brand and that?

And yet the plums are validated by the lemmings who buy the shit.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Why is "Always" and "Believe" capitalised? It's inconsistent with the rest of the text.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Tim Monaghan said:

But then everyone will complain that its boring! Some stuff isn't to my taste, but then again we've in recent times produced my favourite kit of all time in the grey and orange. 

Ultimately, I'd rather we try something different than just BCFC. 

I hate to break this to you, but the football club will be a "toy" for anyone owning it. 

If you don't like it, don't buy it. It really is as simple as that. Honestly, the moaning for moaning sake on this board is unbearable.  

mate - 'unbearable' ? i don't think you have to be here - open the curtains, go outside.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

You reckon...

s-l1600.thumb.webp.51d5edaef816da6f47fdb267d2dc5715.webp

2880-489.thumb.jpg.e75c38c7bbed845bbcc8cf36951676fc.jpg

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, Tim Monaghan said:

But then everyone will complain that its boring! Some stuff isn't to my taste, but then again we've in recent times produced my favourite kit of all time in the grey and orange. 

Ultimately, I'd rather we try something different than just BCFC. 

I hate to break this to you, but the football club will be a "toy" for anyone owning it. 

If you don't like it, don't buy it. It really is as simple as that. Honestly, the moaning for moaning sake on this board is unbearable.  

It may or not be a toy but if so I'd prefer it to be run by professionals. Do you think any other Championship club would have Jon as Chairman? Would he survive a rigorous 6 week recruitment process? 😉

• Like 7

Posted (edited)

To be fair, JL has brought a lot of this criticism on himself through his actions to date. It feels like it's got to the point where anything he does now will be ridiculed (on here anyway). Bridges burnt and all that. It doesn't feel like there is a way back for him that means he'd be treated seriously or with respect.

If i was in his shoes, i'd want to be far away from City and make my own way in life.

Edited by Loco Rojo

Can I just say I like the t shirt, I think it looks quite stylish with jeans as Joe Williams is modelling. I think City need a much bigger range though, different age groups for example will like very different clothing. 

I actually don't care too much if they want some weird or wacky designs or whatever, but I wish they'd do some basic ones first.

Why you can't just get a red, white, or black t-shirt or polo with just the badge, or "Bristol City", or "One team in Bristol", or "City" or something on it in a reasonably normal font, no giant dates or phrases or slogans or artistic swishes and lines or whatever I don't know.

Maybe I'm just boring, but I'm in my mid 30s and would wear that, I don't really want any of the kit or the "lifestyle" onyego stuff, I just want a relatively normal top which represents my club. Really annoying.

• Like 6
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, Antman said:

He just  loves playing with crayons and a colouring book. He finds it so much more fun than signing players. 

41 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

To be fair, JL has brought a lot of this criticism on himself through his actions to date. It feels like it's got to the point where anything he does now will be ridiculed (on here anyway). Bridges burnt and all that. It doesn't feel like there is a way back for him that means he'd be treated seriously or with respect.

If i was in his shoes, i'd want to be far away from City and make my own way in life.

From an outside view looking in, that’s his dilemma.  Trying to work out how can he make his own way in life?  What can he bring to the outside world’s table.

I believe the plan WAS to hole-up in Bermuda, but that has changed in the last few years.  I dunno if that was to give City a real-go as Chairman, or Fever Pitch launching or something else.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tim Monaghan said:

Oh, I do! If you know what I do, you'd be a bit embarrassed by that comment. 

Anyway, enjoy the next owner bashing thread. 

I know what you do. I am surprised you take that stance as a creative yourself. Surely you'd acknowledge how poor design can damage a brand?

1 hour ago, Tony Tootle said:

We play to win.

We exist to inspire.

We Always Believe.

Except for some reason "always believe" is capitalised. It's full stops not commas as well so they are three distinct statements rather than an almost Haiku.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Antman said:

It was bugging me to. It looks like the decender on the 'y' is curved rather than straight making it look ridiculous.

I swear I was making better logos than this with Deluxe Paint back in 1988.

I do hope it's not part of the new range ...

Edited by Sleepy1968

2 hours ago, IAmNick said:

I actually don't care too much if they want some weird or wacky designs or whatever, but I wish they'd do some basic ones first.

Why you can't just get a red, white, or black t-shirt or polo with just the badge, or "Bristol City", or "One team in Bristol", or "City" or something on it in a reasonably normal font, no giant dates or phrases or slogans or artistic swishes and lines or whatever I don't know.

Maybe I'm just boring, but I'm in my mid 30s and would wear that, I don't really want any of the kit or the "lifestyle" onyego stuff, I just want a relatively normal top which represents my club. Really annoying.

Shouldn’t be too much to ask for should it?!!

Not being one for replica kits it would be great to be able to get some ok training tops to wear to football training/running etc - simple like the designs Hummel had. That black one was decent but wasn’t around or in stock too long. There’s nothing now. 

30 minutes ago, Tim Monaghan said:

To be fair, I was more aiming it at the fact I needed to “get outside” apparently. You can see how that would make me laugh @exAtyeoMax

I agree about the branding, although I don’t think it’s that bad at all. The problem is, that this whole thread has nothing to do with the brand, it’s just another excuse to moan about JL and our football club. Do you think anyone outside of this football club gives a simple shit about a T-shirt? Let alone one that’s isn’t even that bad. 

I don’t mean to be a grumpy a-hole recently, but I’m just getting a bit fed up with the constant bashing of this football club. 

To be honest I haven't paid much attention to it but I do feel sad that we've got such a poor kit supplier, especially after the quality and design of Hummel. I guess it's just a cumulative effect, of one bad thing after the other. The club is for the fans after all and people want to spend their cash on merchandise which frustrates people if it's not available or it is bad/poor quality. It is a reflection of the club. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

From an outside view looking in, that’s his dilemma.  Trying to work out how can he make his own way in life?  What can he bring to the outside world’s table.

I believe the plan WAS to hole-up in Bermuda, but that has changed in the last few years.  I dunno if that was to give City a real-go as Chairman, or Fever Pitch launching or something else.

It's a good point.  We all have this same dilemma though don't we (to some extent) when growing up. Thing is, he's an adult now which i think makes this harder for him to fix (if he even wants to).  I'm sure this next point isn't the case, but perhaps he's dug his own grave by having a rich dad and living off his daddys money and not finding his own path. 

Everything then potentially becomes a play thing/hobby with no real interest in seeing it become a success....always got dads money to fall back on!

And worse still - everyone around you knows what you're doing and doesn't respect anything you do or you at all.  Never want to be in that situation.

Edited by Loco Rojo
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

It's a good point.  We all have this same dilemma though don't we (to some extent) when growing up. Thing is, he's an adult now which i think makes this harder for him to fix (if he even wants to).  I'm sure this next point isn't the case, but perhaps he's dug his own grave by having a rich dad and living off his daddys money and not finding his own path. 

Everything then potentially becomes a play thing/hobby with no real interest in seeing it become a success....always got dads money to fall back on!

And worse still - everyone around you knows what you're doing and doesn't respect anything you do or you at all.  Never want to be in that situation.

Yes we do to an extent.

I’m just replaying stuff I’ve heard. He appears to have gone from not wanting to take the club on (the move to Bermuda / SL originally looking for a buyer) to saying he wants to be CEO.  If I was SL, I’d say “go and prove you’re capable”.  Maybe that’s what he’s doing, and SL has given him GM and TR as support.  But from the outside looking in he seems to want to be too involved with “creative stuff”, which appears to be his true passion, rather than doing the hard-yards of a CEO.  He said something the other day which sounded like / paraphrased “I like the glory bit of football”. I did make a note, but thought it churlish to post.  And on the creative stuff, it might be his passion, but is he any good at it?  I’ll let others better placed critique that part…although there has been mixed results imho.  And much easier to run that under the Bristol Sport umbrella and access into the sporting network that starting from scratch outside without a safety blanket.

And your last part…well that goes with the territory.  You wanna be CEO of a £30m revenue / £60m cost business, then it comes with some shitty stuff too.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

6 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Because some of us want to buy merch.  Either for ourselves or our kids. 

But it's all really so bad that it's not worth the expense. 

Seen the new girls range of tops? A light green tshirt with City (in white writing) across it. £20. 

We don't wear green. There are plenty of 'City's out there... it could be anyone. 

One of many poor examples.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, kmpowell said:

https://www.reachfeverpitch.com

See if you recognise anyone in their team of "talent" https://www.reachfeverpitch.com/talent

:rolleyes:

Good grief, there's a guy wearing dungarees in his profile pic!

I'm getting strong 'Perfect Curve' vibes here. The design agency run by Siobhan Sharpe (played by the admirable Jessica Hynes) in the BBC comedy W1A.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Flames 1

Would rather wear a trash bag with a hand painted Robin my half blind nan painted than wear some of the stuff they have to offer fans. Yes I understand in the grand scheme of things, way more things at the club need to be looked at first regarding us wanting to get where we need to  be, but still.

• Like 3

I really liked the Hummel training shirts a few years back. Really smart.

Red, black and white versions. Less is more…

Not the “We exist to inspire” nonsense.

• Like 5

20 hours ago, maxjak said:

I'm waiting for the T-Shirt..Bristol City have the best Keyboard Warriors!! 

14 hours ago, Graham76 said:

“Jon, the founder of Fever Pitch, is a maverick thinker. From putting dogs in kits to envisioning innovative designs, his creativity knows no bounds” 

This surely isn’t a real quote? 

• Haha 1

If “Fever Pitch” had a basic understanding of branding they wouldn’t produce lots of different logos but one consistent one. I actually like the robin (not the splat version) but at my last count there were at least four. The devil makes work for idle hands.

• Like 4

Wait what he founded the marketing team of Bristol City because he gave it a different name? How does that work? 

Screenshot2024-05-31at10_08_49.png.54352f50983793aeab6327970d4c3044.png

Beryl Fudge was marketing beanies and touting merchandise price lists before Jon even knew what Bristol City was. 

Suggest on Monday that everyone goes to work and announces to their employers that they have founded their job.

Billy, founder of the mail room (now renamed Letters Crescendo) is a maverick thinker who also does photocopying.

I just founded this thread. Later I'll be the founder of my lunch. Alan Sugar move aside I just founded my department.

Also what the **** is this. JUST ONE SEASON I beg can we please have one identity. Supporting this club is so hard.

Screenshot2024-05-31at10_14_15.png.05545cd0296178d97457af51ad65a4c2.png

• Like 9
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 2

If theres one person thats inspired me, someone who is a maverick thinker, someome who does that 🖕 to the old codgers on OTIB, then, it's John Lansdown. Because Jonno will happily say "that's what I think of your football clubs heritage, yes I've enjoyed the odd Thatchers, but will you piss off and leave me alone, I'm knocking up some shit kit designs with my crayons"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Ahem!

image.thumb.png.1c6c0b58c13aeaca064ffed473aa1333.png

'Excellence' is so 1990s. These days you have to say you're 'passionate' about whatever. I once saw a lorry with 'Passionate about logistics' on the back. To which my response was 'you need to get out more'.

Still, lots of people claim to be 'creatives' these days without much evidence of what they create or if it's any good so Jon's with the zeitgeist there.

• Like 1