IGNORED

Savings on wages

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/the-estimated-wages-of-every-bristol-city-player-released-this-summer/

Bristol City's released player wages

Player

Weekly Wage

Annual Wage

Duncan Idehen

£962

£50,000

Harvey Wiles-Richards

£1,154

£60,000

Andy King

£7,500

£390,000

Andreas Weimann

£22,500

£1,170,000

Matty James

£27,500

£1,430,000

• Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1

2 minutes ago, Ziderarmy said:

James and Wells were / are the top earners and they figure is what I’ve been told as well. Kalas was on more…

Wells I can believe given he was signed when he was, Kalas I'd have assumed around £25k per week..James? Doesn't fully ring true given how the football specific wage bill fell 1/5 or thereabouts summer 2021.

That said it was reported that Wells new deal reduced from the top earner, spreading at least some of it across a longer period?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/the-estimated-wages-of-every-bristol-city-player-released-this-summer/

Bristol City's released player wages

Player

Weekly Wage

Annual Wage

Duncan Idehen

£962

£50,000

Harvey Wiles-Richards

£1,154

£60,000

Andy King

£7,500

£390,000

Andreas Weimann

£22,500

£1,170,000

Matty James

£27,500

£1,430,000

Weimann signed a new deal on much last than that.. and that was from the horses mouth in london cocktail club on corn street last christmas 😅🤣

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Ziderarmy said:

James and Wells were / are the top earners and they figure is what I’ve been told as well. Kalas was on more…

Wells signed a new reduced wage contract, so on less than what we originally signed him on.

As for Jamo, I go more on Richard Gould’s comments that he felt we were in a sweet spot for OOC players, around the £15k p.w. mark, post-covid.  And certainly the players they were looking at the summer after Jamo signed did not break that amount.

I can quite believe Jamo was on £27k p.w at PL Leicester, but that contract ended…and he was dropping a division having been on loan at Barnsley and Coventry. So I think that value is one that became out of date 3 summers ago…but still gets banded about.

• Like 2

im only guessing but i dont think they would have paid any more than 15k given the constraints they were under. 

i also read weimanns leaving message to nige a bit like 'money isnt everything'

Posted (edited)

The idea that we would being in, when we are drastically due to FFP cutting the cost base in summer 2021, players for £27.5k and renew at £22.5k is just crazy to me.

Doesn't align with this..you don't add or renew on such terms as part of a 21% fall in the wage bill!!

Screenshot_20240602-101848_OneDrive.thumb.jpg.797dbb22ed97b4e8696579d228adef41.jpg

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 5
  • Flames 2

The point still stands though. Even if the combined wage of that lot is £35-£40k per week there should still be room to strengthen the squad. Bird, Murphy and Stokes will be on £15k combined I would have thought.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

The point still stands though. Even if the combined wage of that lot is £35-£40k per week there should still be room to strengthen the squad. Bird, Murphy and Stokes will be on £15k combined I would have thought.

One thing to bear in mind is that we might have already been saving on Weimann since January. I've no idea what the loan agreement with WBA was but I doubt we gave them a free player and covered all the costs. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I'm happy to guess here but I've always said our wage bill ie for the football club side was perhaps £20m last season. £21-22m perhaps given the January activity.

Remember:

13th month we can disregard for a repeat. Therefore £26m down to £24m.

Kalas and DaSilva- £40-45k per week combined maybe?

Wells new contract November, December. Will have been on a lower wage, a full financial year of that lower wage vs half a year of his old wage and half a year of the lower.

Baker- Wages paid during 2022-23, the final year of his deal.

I doubt Scott and Semenyo would've been on major wages fwiw? Anyone know more?

Then..

Half a season of:

Bentley, Klose, Massengo, Martin. All left in January.

This becomes a full season without, maybe we even paid part of the wages of Klose and Martin to go in which case the saving gets greater.

You can of course add in McCrorie, Dickie, Roberts, Knight, TGH and an extra half season of Cornick and Mehmeti but then you also have to subtract Kane Wilson.

Haikin was here for 2-3 months but gone again. Thomas for Haikin wages wise?

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'm happy to guess here but I've always said our wage bill ie for the football club side was perhaps £20m last season. £21-22m perhaps.

Remember:

13th month we can disregard for a repeat. Therefore £26m down to £24m.

Kalas and DaSilva- £40-45k per week combined maybe?

Wells new contract November, December. Will habe been on a lower wage, a full financial year of that lower wage vs half a year of his old wage and half a year of the lower.

Baker- Wages paid during 2022-23, the final year of his deal.

I doubt Scott and Semenyo would've been on major wages fwiw?

Then..

Half a season of:

Bentley, Klose, Massengo, Martin. All left in January.

This becomes a full season without, again left in Janaury- maybe we even paid part of the wages of Klose and Martin to go in which case the saving gets greater.

You can of course add in McCrorie, Dickie, Roberts, Knight, TGH and an extra half season of Cornick and Mehmeti but then you also have to subtract Kane Wilson.

I don’t think Semenyo was on shabby wages tbf. The numbers show we’ve been belt tightening for a while now and my view is that Pearson was brought in by Steve to ensure we were no worse than treading water whilst this was undertaken. Steve actually called that appointment correctly given the circumstances (that Nige’s detractors so obviously ignore).

At the point Nige said “I need money to move this on” and could see for himself we had some dosh coming in we fired him and appointed a rookie to give us a greater chance of success. The problem with that is that Liam, having assessed the talent at his disposal, can also see he needs money to move it on a bit. He’s made it clear what he needs.

I don’t think Liam is the fool a minority make him out to be and won’t accept treading water for the next three years…….

• Like 1
  • Flames 2

That is the Lansdowns mantra. Do anything you can on the cheap. And that will be the priority this  summer just as it is for the Bears. They are spending below the salary cap which is why Bath seem to always win the race for the big names. So I would expect the same in this window as that. But will be fascinated on our search for a good striker. They are not cheap. So does that mean we won't be getting one.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Redrascal2 said:

That is the Lansdowns mantra. Do anything you can on the cheap. And that will be the priority this  summer just as it is for the Bears. They are spending below the salary cap which is why Bath seem to always win the race for the big names. So I would expect the same in this window as that. But will be fascinated on our search for a good striker. They are not cheap. So does that mean we won't be getting one.

What a strange view. No-one can say what SL does is on the cheap. Kalas, Fammy, Wells, Tomlin, etc all expensive players. The Stadium redevelopment, Training ground.

The issue is his decision making and who he gets in to run the club in senior positions.

If anything he is wasteful and overpays for staying mid-table!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

On the cheap isn't altogether true, there have been periods of extravagance and then periods of austerity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

On the cheap isn't altogether true, there have been periods of extravagance and then periods of austerity.

Extravagance relavity and not at the right times

• Like 4

For me, I think there is a huge difference in stating - “we are aiming to get promoted / make playoffs”, but coupling that with - “we need to outperform our budget” and “we can see what improvement LM can make in an international break, imagine what he can do with a preseason” type comments.

For me the “strategy” (debate discuss) is one based on hope.  Even GM talked about having a “stars aligning season”.  That’s not a strategy.

Also, don’t they think other clubs are looking to outperform their budget, have new(ish) managers looking to improve after a preseason, and also hoping to do better than expectations.

It’s as if they think everyone will stand still / regress, whilst we improve.

Of course, I’ll wait to see what the playing squad looks like in August, but at some point you have to bring in better players or grow better players.  I hope the “bring in better players” part is this summer!!!  

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, JAWS said:

Extravagance relavity and not at the right times

Yeah a time to cautiously start to push again was post the sale of Scott IMO. Plus a new contract for NP and his team and a better structure retained.

PThe 2nd and 3rd bits are for another thread but that aside, now is the time to build on a solid base without going nuts I reckon.

For that extra sparkle, we do need to spend a bit more.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

One thing to bear in mind is that we might have already been saving on Weimann since January. I've no idea what the loan agreement with WBA was but I doubt we gave them a free player and covered all the costs. 

We definitely didn’t give them a free player - there was a deal done which included TGH joining us on a perm and them getting Weimann on loan. 

I reckon we probably did cover some if not all the costs just to give some value to Albion such they’d write off TGH’s fee.  They only had a loan after all and there was no guarantee he’d stay there. 

Imagining running your own large business, hiring a Manager specifically to get you through a tough time then firing said Manager when the situation had eased because he wanted to implement ideas to move your business forwards and you didn't want to spend the money and, not only that, getting your Departmental Head who has already failed at the Manager's job and been sacked for it to rubbish his work after you fired him and, not only that, questioning his personality yourself in the Press and, not only that, your new hire comes in and says the same things about needing investment but in a different way.....................anyone could be fooled into thinking the previous Manager knew what he was talking about all along and you didn't have a clue.

Nobody would run a business like that though.............

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 2

4 hours ago, grifty said:

What a strange view. No-one can say what SL does is on the cheap. Kalas, Fammy, Wells, Tomlin, etc all expensive players. The Stadium redevelopment, Training ground.

The issue is his decision making and who he gets in to run the club in senior positions.

What of the money received for Scott and Semenyo. How much was used to reinvest in the team. All the expensive players you have listed are from years past.   Only Wells is still with us. Surely you cannot fail to have seen the trend of reducing his investment in players. Both at City and Bristol Bears. No offence but it seems strange to me that you have not noticed it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, grifty said:

I won't say SL does things on the cheap either, BUT SL has a habit of only signing one big marque player per window.  2 or 3 signings of that calibre may show more statement of intent.

From memory, the Kalas, Smozdic, Palmer window was the closest we came and SL got his fingers burnt and is reticent to repeat.

5 minutes ago, beaverface said:

I won't say SL does things on the cheap either, BUT SL has a habit of only signing one big marque player per window.  2 or 3 signings of that calibre may show more statement of intent.

From memory, the Kalas, Smozdic, Palmer window was the closest we came and SL got his fingers burnt and is reticent to repeat.

But then before the start of that season we had sold Webster and Kelly so there was the money coming in. 

3 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

Imagining running your own large business, hiring a Manager specifically to get you through a tough time then firing said Manager when the situation had eased because he wanted to implement ideas to move your business forwards and you didn't want to spend the money and, not only that, getting your Departmental Head who has already failed at the Manager's job and been sacked for it to rubbish his work after you fired him and, not only that, questioning his personality yourself in the Press and, not only that, your new hire comes in and says the same things about needing investment but in a different way.....................anyone could be fooled into thinking the previous Manager knew what he was talking about all along and you didn't have a clue.

Nobody would run a business like that though.............

add in anyone who thought the previous manager knew what he was doing also followed him out the door leaving a void of anyone who knew what they were doing except the new man.  you are drawing up a very good image of a rudderless ship in the making if Liam gets pissed off.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 38MC said:

But then before the start of that season we had sold Webster and Kelly so there was the money coming in. 

True, and you've kind of backed up the point I was trying to make. We get the one big present at Christmas, and that's it, and I know it sounds greedy, but in order to push up the league you need a number of big signings and admittedly a fair wind.

A one "big" signing mixed with some other peripheral\ok players ain't gonna do it unless you have a wonder coaching team in place......................you never know !!!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The idea that we would being in, when we are drastically due to FFP cutting the cost base in summer 2021, players for £27.5k and renew at £22.5k is just crazy to me.

Doesn't align with this..you don't add or renew on such terms as part of a 21% fall in the wage bill!!

Screenshot_20240602-101848_OneDrive.thumb.jpg.797dbb22ed97b4e8696579d228adef41.jpg

That £6m wage drop from 21 to 22 can be accounted for quite easily. 
First, Ashton was off the books. He was on over £500k. Gould was on nowhere near that. 
Next, the wages saved were mainly by getting rid of many and bringing in few. 
We basically ran with a smaller squad. 

Year to year comparison :

Same goalkeeping department. 
Defence : we lost Hunt, Mawson, Mariappa, Simpson & Sessegnon and replaced with Tanner & Atkinson. 
Midfield : we lost Nagy, Walsh, Lansbury, Adelakun, Rowe and replaced with James, King & Scott. 
Attack : we lost Famara, Paterson & Watkins and replaced with Conway. 

Thats 13 out, many would have been very high wages, whilst only 4 in (one from L1 and one from L2) plus assorted academy youngsters. 

Matty James will have arrived here on a lot more than £15k pw I can guarantee. Just because we dropped the wages £6m doesn’t mean we weren’t still paying well to one or two. 
We lost big wages that summer on many of the names above and only really spent on James. 
King, Tanner & Atkinson would have come in on nowhere near the same as those they replaced. Only James would have been big money. 
The reduced squad size, plus the big names outgoing, was the main factor in the £6m drop. 

James still arrived as the highest paid player. 

He was on £35k pw at Leicester. 
There was other championship interest. If anyone thinks he arrived here for less than £20k pw (I’m edging more at the +£25k range by the way) then I’ve got a bridge to sell you. 

The wage drop was mainly offloading Fam, Watkins, Paterson, Hunt, Nagy, Mawson, Rowe, Walsh, Lansbury and replacing their wages with James + 2 lower league players. 
It’s pretty easy to see what happened. Run with a reduced squad - that reduces the wage bill. James was still here on £25k +. 

Edited by Harry
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Harry said:

There was other championship interest. If anyone thinks he arrived here for less than £20k pw (I’m edging more at the +£25k range by the way) then I’ve got a bridge to sell you. 

The wage drop was mainly offloading Fam, Watkins, Paterson, Hunt, Nagy, Mawson, Rowe, Walsh, Lansbury and replacing their wages with James + 2 lower league players. 
It’s pretty easy to see what happened. Run with a reduced squad - that reduces the wage bill. James was still here on £25k +. 

I don’t think he was on that much, nor will you sell me a bridge!!!

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Harry said:

First, Ashton was off the books. He was on over £500k. Gould was on nowhere near that. 

Defence : we lost Hunt, Mawson, Mariappa, Simpson & Sessegnon and replaced with Tanner & Atkinson. 
Midfield : we lost Nagy, Walsh, Lansbury, Adelakun, Rowe and replaced with James, King & Scott. 

Thats 13 out, many would have been very high wages, whilst only 4 in (one from L1 and one from L2) plus assorted academy youngsters. 

Matty James will have arrived here on a lot more than £15k pw I can guarantee. Just because we dropped the wages £6m doesn’t mean we weren’t still paying well to one or two. 
We lost big wages that summer on many of the names above and only really spent on James. 
King, Tanner & Atkinson would have come in on nowhere near the same as those they replaced. Only James would have been big money. 
The reduced squad size, plus the big names outgoing, was the main factor in the £6m drop. 

I'm not fully convinced, NP King, Simpsoj- was Rennie there by then?

It feels unlikely, plausible but feels unlikely.

14 hours ago, Harry said:

You are , yet again , totally wrong about James. Where’s the bridge then ? 

1 hour ago, RollsRoyce said:

You are , yet again , totally wrong about James. Where’s the bridge then ? 

Go on then, what was his wage? If you have first hand knowledge of this then that’s great, and it would be good to hear it. 

18 hours ago, Redrascal2 said:

What of the money received for Scott and Semenyo. How much was used to reinvest in the team. All the expensive players you have listed are from years past.   Only Wells is still with us. Surely you cannot fail to have seen the trend of reducing his investment in players. Both at City and Bristol Bears. No offence but it seems strange to me that you have not noticed it.

You said the Lansdown mantra is to do everything on the cheap. That just isn’t true.

The Semenyo money when part way to funding some signings (Mehmeti, Cornick, Knight) plus a bit in the bank as a buffer for FFP.

The Scott sale was close-ish to the transfer window closure. I would much prefer us to take our time with signings (especially high transfer fees) in order to find the right player for the manager/position. If this player was not available in those 2-3 weeks I would prefer we didn’t sign anyone who either the manager didn’t want or over pay for the wrong player.

The reason SL has had to cut back on expenditure in the last few years was because he over spent because he wasn’t doing things on the cheap and it nearly cost us a points deduction.

We seem to be doing smarter with our signings (Dickie -£900k being a prime example). I’d much rather us pick up Player of the year Dickie for £900k than an injury prone (in the last two seasons anyway) Kalas for £8m with no resale value… I guess you feel differently about that.

17 hours ago, redsquirrel said:

add in anyone who thought the previous manager knew what he was doing also followed him out the door leaving a void of anyone who knew what they were doing except the new man.  you are drawing up a very good image of a rudderless ship in the making if Liam gets pissed off.

Yep, I’ve said it all along. We NEED Liam to succeed, whatever your views on him, because the alternative will be a right mess.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Redrascal2 said:

18 hours ago, 38MC said:

Tbh the Accounts, was part of a sell to spend strategy.

By which I mean combination of rising Commercial Revenue and more importantly transfer profits to underpin rising wages and fees.

The peak year we spent £25m on fees, loan fees and agents fees! We probably needed to get up by end of 2020-21 before the inevitable happened.

Screenshot_20240603-130232_OneDrive.thumb.jpg.2af079d4ca964fddd6d94e3e49df6587.jpgScreenshot_20240603-130108_OneDrive.thumb.jpg.b5d1a2779fdd0e15fa46b65859b7124c.jpgScreenshot_20240603-130128_OneDrive.jpg.a9e740ed009246e10f1e64d6047f0837.jpg

Between 95-100%, of turnover on Transfer Fee Additions, pushing 100% of wages on tbe football side to Turnover.

Kelly fell into 2018-19.

It needed major and regular sales or it needed promotion by say 2020-21 or a crunch would come.

A lot of that squad thinking out up to 2023, wage savings and indeed the Semenyo money was just to save us really. It was a brutal 2 year slog.

Now we CAN spend a bit and breathe easily. Then it is up to SL to see how far he wants to push it.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, grifty said:

You said the Lansdown mantra is to do everything on the cheap. That just isn’t true.

The Semenyo money when part way to funding some signings (Mehmeti, Cornick, Knight) plus a bit in the bank as a buffer for FFP.

The Scott sale was close-ish to the transfer window closure. I would much prefer us to take our time with signings (especially high transfer fees) in order to find the right player for the manager/position. If this player was not available in those 2-3 weeks I would prefer we didn’t sign anyone who either the manager didn’t want or over pay for the wrong player.

The reason SL has had to cut back on expenditure in the last few years was because he over spent because he wasn’t doing things on the cheap and it nearly cost us a points deduction.

We seem to be doing smarter with our signings (Dickie -£900k being a prime example). I’d much rather us pick up Player of the year Dickie for £900k than an injury prone (in the last two seasons anyway) Kalas for £8m with no resale value… I guess you feel differently about that.

Well Lansdown has got a "bit in the bank"from the sales of Scott and Semenyo. What about 25 million  plus and we have cleared out some players reputedly  on high wages James and Weimann  plus a few others and we have had plenty of time to take a considered look at what we need and who we would like. So let's see what support Lansdown gives Manning this window. Oh and by the way try telling Pat Lam that Lansdown is not cost cutting with the decision to spend below the salary cap when the likes of Bath, Saracens, Leicester etc are fully using it.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

Well Lansdown has got a "bit in the bank"from the sales of Scott and Semenyo. What about 25 million  plus and we have cleared out some players reputedly  on high wages James and Weimann  plus a few others and we have had plenty of time to take a considered look at what we need and who we would like. So let's see what support Lansdown gives Manning this window. Oh and by the way try telling Pat Lam that Lansdown is not cost cutting with the decision to spend below the salary cap when the likes of Bath, Saracens, Leicester etc are fully using it.

2, 3- perhaps 4- quality additions to ice the cake?

We have a solid base and that will take us so far but hit a glass ceiling.

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

2, 3- perhaps 4- quality additions to ice the cake?

We have a solid base and that will take us so far but hit a glass ceiling.

you know as well as me we might get one or two basic additions then they will trot out the 'run with what we've got and see where we are january' spiel

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

you know as well as me we might get one or two basic additions then they will trot out the 'run with what we've got and see where we are january' spiel

Yeah fearing so. One or two basic additions in the right position is fine if it is to make sure the depth is fully sorted to then add the 2-4 quality on top.

However that is my ideal scenario, perhaps not the real one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Redrascal2 said:

Do you really think we should go and spend all £25m in the summer window? As I’ve already said, much of the Semenyo money went towards building players and towards the FFP limits.

Id prefer for us to sign effective players for a reasonable price.

More Dickies for a million than Kalas’ for £8m. There seems to be a clamour to spend all of the Scott money as soon as possible. We have a good basis of a squad, let’s be sensible and improve it with good players for good fees. Not go and spaff it all on marquee signings to keep fans happy.

Ive no interest in rugby so wont be telling Pat Lam anything.

15 minutes ago, grifty said:

Do you really think we should go and spend all £25m in the summer window? As I’ve already said, much of the Semenyo money went towards building players and towards the FFP limits.

More Dickies for a million than Kalas’ for £8m. There seems to be a clamour to spend all of the Scott money as soon as possible. We have a good basis of a squad, let’s be sensible and improve it with good players for good fees. Not go and spaff it all on marquee signings to keep fans happy.

This is valid but you need a mix. At what point we start to make a bit of a push, I have some sympathy with both sides of the argument but it feels like we have a solid base but no next level.

I agree we can't spend as much as before but..there is always the loan market too.

11 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

This is valid but you need a mix. At what point we start to make a bit of a push, I have some sympathy with both sides of the argument but it feels like we have a solid base but no next level.

I agree we can't spend as much as before but..there is always the loan market too.

Manning looks to be more inclined to use the loan market than Pearson was so maybe we will see that more.

Youll know more than most on what out FFP limits will be and how much we can realistically spend.

Id just prefer us to make sensible signings at good prices rather than spending all our budget in one season/transfer window.

If the right player is not available, I’d prefer us to save the money until they are.

• Like 1

Just now, grifty said:

Manning looks to be more inclined to use the loan market than Pearson was so maybe we will see that more.

Youll know more than most on what out FFP limits will be and how much we can realistically spend.

Id just prefer us to make sensible signings at good prices rather than spending all our budget in one season/transfer window.

If the right player is not available, I’d prefer us to save the money until they are.

Pearson could barely use it as we were fecked for FFP for a lot of his time here. Loans cost wages and loan fees often.

I reckon we have some £15m or at worst £10-15m of Headroom this season. Maybe a bit more than £15m. We are comfortably above it.

I certainly don't think we should go nuts but a bit more depth and then one or two of quality on top without breaking the bank would be nice. 2025-26 perhaps will be the best of the FFP years but tbis upcoming season could also be the last year of the present system.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, grifty said:

No I don't think we need to spend all the money and never said that. But why let what I actually said get in the way of your argument. Manning was promised he would be backed in the transfer market. Let's wait and see what happens. And the issue of Bristol Bears was referencing Lansdown's current approach to the salary  cap and funding their playing squad. In view of what we are discussing, I would suggest  it is very relevant to our discussion.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

No I don't think we need to spend all the money and never said that. But why let what I actually said get in the way of your argument. Manning was promised he would be backed in the transfer market. Let's wait and see what happens. And the issue of Bristol Bears was referencing Lansdown's current approach to the salary  cap and funding their playing squad. In view of what we are discussing, I would suggest  it is very relevant to our discussion.

I didn’t say you said that? I asked you a question?

The way you phrased it “£25million plus and cleared out players on high wages” came across as that’s what is our transfer kitty. Hence my question to clarify that.

if we spend £5m on players to improve the squad, I’d be happy with that. stick £20m in the bank for security and as @Mr Popodopolous says the year after may be the year to go for it more.

Until the owner truly communicates how much he is willing to a) fund operational losses each season and b) how transfer funds from selling players affect the budget, we are all pissing in the wind.

Gavin Marshall did allude to using the Scott money over a few transfer windows and not have to wait to sell before buying, but that’s about as good as it gets.  Although he (or was it Jon?) also said we’d need a stars aligning season to get into the playoffs.

There is no outward facing communication of the strategy to achieving the playoffs.

I think they think the likes of Luton and Coventry got to the playoffs based on luck.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, grifty said:

The way you phrased it “£25million plus and cleared out players on high wages” came across as that’s what is our transfer kitty. Hence my question to clarify that.

if we spend £5m on players to improve the squad, I’d be happy with that. stick £20m in the bank for security and as @Mr Popodopolous says the year after may be the year to go for it more.

I'm a bit on the fence...operationally we like most clubs are losing money..in some ways this could be a year to go for it.

Burnley, Luton, Sheffield United, some clubs adjusting post Parachutes, some clubs with retrenchment to an extent, ambitious Birmingham relegated..not an easy League by any stretch, is it ever. Without adding anyone the pre tax loss this coming year could be £17-18m. Obviously any sales would reduce that.

FFP is a moving target so we could spend £10m across wages and amortisation maybe and still leave some headroom for 2025-26 as £22m loss drops off to be replaced by a possible profit or small loss season just gone.

What @Davefevs said though, it's all moot until we get the full truth from the owner.

33 minutes ago, grifty said:

Let's hope we are both happy at the end of the window. COYR.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Until the owner truly communicates how much he is willing to a) fund operational losses each season and b) how transfer funds from selling players affect the budget, we are all pissing in the wind.

Gavin Marshall did allude to using the Scott money over a few transfer windows and not have to wait to sell before buying, but that’s about as good as it gets.  Although he (or was it Jon?) also said we’d need a stars aligning season to get into the playoffs.

There is no outward facing communication of the strategy to achieving the playoffs.

I think they think the likes of Luton and Coventry got to the playoffs based on luck.

Wait. What??!! 
You mean, 2 of our wonderfully and uniquely aligned leadership committee both stated something completely contradictory to each other. Never!! Didn’t happen 🤣🤣

• Haha 3