IGNORED

England Pre-Euro Friendlies - Bosnia & Iceland

MarcusX

Am I blind or is there no thread on last nights game?

Are we seeing England apathy drifting back in, general lack of interest in friendlies or just me missing the thread (quite likely, been a rough 24 hours 😂)

Just got back from Newcastle, several thoughts on the occasion:

- Still unsure on England games around the country. Atmosphere is undoubtedly better - but why oh why can fans not leave club rivalrys aside? You've got to be pretty stupid to boo your own goalkeeper. Molinuex was just as bad, everyone in club kits singing Wolves songs. Just bore off and cheer England on.

- That said, thought St James Park was a fantastic stadium and a great view, and atmosphere, and it's location within the City is brilliant for pre and post drinks.

in terms of the game, not sure what to think. First half wasn't great but clearly trying to do something different to accomodate Watkins and it didn't work. As soon as the cavalry came on the style was changed to a high press and the CBs came and engaged higher up the pitch and it was plain sailing really from then on.

Eze and Bowen didn't set the world alight, but equally didn't look bad either. CB depth looked an issue until Branthwaite came on - though Bosnia didn't really offer a decent test. If Maguire isn't fit I wouldn't mind him alongside Stones.

Trent did well, and a lot of talk that he could be the second midfielder alongside Rice.

Liked the look of Wharton when he came on, 100% pass completion too apparently.

Would expect to see a stronger 11 for Friday, although still a few players not ready / fit.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Are we seeing England apathy drifting back in, general lack of interest in friendlies or just me missing the thread (quite likely, been a rough 24 hours 😂)

Can only speak for myself but I couldn't give less of a shite about England right now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 1

The first half was like watching paint dry…….:sleeping: Typical Southgate, no flair or enthusiasm.

I appreciate that it was a pre tournament warm up and an opportunity to look at various different players but none of them looked as if they were up for it.

That said - It was the players that geed themselves up and once the penalty went in the game was pretty much over. I’m bowling Friday so thankfully I’ll miss another turgid England performance.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Robbored said:

The first half was like watching paint dry…….:sleeping: Typical Southgate, no flair or enthusiasm.

I appreciate that it was a pre tournament warm up and an opportunity to look at various different players but none of them looked as if they were up for it.

That said - It was the players that geed themselves up and once the penalty went in the game was pretty much over. I’m bowling Friday so thankfully I’ll miss another turgid England performance.

Well, that's guaranteed a scintillating game, thanks Robbored.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

Are we seeing England apathy drifting back in, general lack of interest in friendlies or just me missing the thread

I can't really remember anything that happened in the warm up games before Euro 2020 or Russia 2018, it'll be back to normal once we play Serbia

• Like 6

I didn’t realise there were two more friendlies before the Euros and only found out by browsing BBC Sport.

Im never a fan of changing 9/10 players to the 2nd string and judging them off that although I can understand why it was done last night.

I think the individuals who played would show a lot better if integrated into the first team.

Palmer linking with Kane & Foden will look far better on him than with Watkins and Eze.

2 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I'm not sure about the atmosphere. On the TV it came across as incredibly poor. Worse than Wembley.

It's a catch-22, the game, especially the first half was pretty poor so the crowd were subdued, there is an expectation that the crowd should play their part, but the players need to give them something to get excited about in the first place it's a hard one to call.

Posted (edited)

I was in the Gallowgate end last night. One comment that amused me was how on earth did Jimmy Five Bellies ever get into the stadium? Those turnstiles were tight!

The booing of Pickford was moronic. In 2016, the last time England played at Sunderland, Andros Townsend was loudly booed when he came on, which was equally moronic. I’m in favour of playing more games around the country but this sort of thing happens too often. 

Decent trip to Newcastle overall, though. 

IMG_8898.jpeg

Edited by North London Red
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)

I didn't see the whole game last night but what I did see was a routine workmanlike win against a poor Bosnia side. As far as B&H goes Benson and Hedges had more puff than last night's opposition. The football though was marginally better than the commentary and knowledge of Geography as Branthwaite's introduction heralded the news that he was from Carlisle so it was good for him to return to the North East. 

Edited by RoystonFoote'snephew
Text corrrection
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Robbored said:

I dont think the players "geed themselves up", it was a clear tactical change up when the subs were made.

First half was definitely very poor, wouldn't say it was typical England though as the last two friendlies against Brazil (albeit disappointing results) were played with high tempo and pressing intent. Infact I dont think many teams press Brazil like we tried to - but they caught us in behind a weak defence with Dunk looking awful when he came on.

21 hours ago, TammyAB said:

I can't really remember anything that happened in the warm up games before Euro 2020 or Russia 2018, it'll be back to normal once we play Serbia

Fair point, had to look them up. Euro 2020 was apparently 2 1-0 wins at the Riverside - I think it was lockdown rules and behind closed doors / limited crowds?

21 hours ago, grifty said:

I didn’t realise there were two more friendlies before the Euros and only found out by browsing BBC Sport.

Im never a fan of changing 9/10 players to the 2nd string and judging them off that although I can understand why it was done last night.

I think the individuals who played would show a lot better if integrated into the first team.

Palmer linking with Kane & Foden will look far better on him than with Watkins and Eze.

It was done because half the squad is injured or given more time to recover from end of season cup games.

Agree on Palmer, it was four front men who've never played together in a style that doesn't really suit Watkins. We looked much better generally when Kane came on.

I'm surprised he didn't use Toney again instead of Watkins. He seems to offer more - althought Watkins has had the better club season

21 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I'm not sure about the atmosphere. On the TV it came across as incredibly poor. Worse than Wembley.

Definitely better in the ground that it seems to have come across on TV and much better than any friendly at Wembley. Not least because I wasn't sat next to away fans in home ends for once!

Just read an item on Facebook saying that Harry Maguire is emerging as a serious injury doubt for the Euro opener against Serbia.

The first comment posted says "the Serbian medical team are working round the clock to get him fit"! 

:)

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, downendcity said:

Just read an item on Facebook saying that Harry Maguire is emerging as a serious injury doubt for the Euro opener against Serbia.

The first comment posted says "the Serbian medical team are working round the clock to get him fit"! 

:)

Must’ve been written by someone who hasn’t been watched a single England game in the past six years

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, TammyAB said:

Must’ve been written by someone who hasn’t been watched a single England game in the past six years

Don't disagree. His varying form and performances for club and country make him a bit of an enigma and seems to  divide fans' opinions.

The Facebook comment was in line with what seems a widely held view and as such struck me as numerous, even if it is a bit wide of the mark.

Had an enjoyable evening on Monday, we picked it up a few years in the second half and felt a few of the fringe players put their hands up for selection.

The atmosphere was good where I was stood, didn't hear much booing for Pickford though. Think it highlighted why we should have way more friendlies away from Wembley 

20240603_210212.jpg

7 hours ago, MarcusX said:

Fair point, had to look them up. Euro 2020 was apparently 2 1-0 wins at the Riverside - I think it was lockdown rules and behind closed doors / limited 

They were definitely dull games- I went up to both (first games to allow fans after lockdown i think) but also needed to look up who we played. Only vaguely remember the Romania game because of a very lively group of their fans turning up in the pub in Middlesbrough!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Markthehorn said:

Early news - guess it was leaked to the media .

No great surprise - been injured a lot .

Yep and his form dropped off. Easy call really.

• Thanks 1

On 04/06/2024 at 16:03, Robbored said:

Classic Big Lebowski 'Aah **** it, let's go bowling' 

1 hour ago, Betty Swallocks said:

Curtis Jones & Jarell Quansah also not in the final squad either.
I presume the reason for the latter is that Gareth has been shown pictures of Jarell wearing that stinking quartered shirt and he couldn’t be having that. 

Trafford and Dunk will be cut i expect which leaves 2.

1 hour ago, Super said:

Trafford and Dunk will be cut i expect which leaves 2.

Not sure about Dunk. Southgate seems to like him, which is weird cos he's had a rubbish last couple of matches. I think Branthwaite is the more likely one not to make it. 

One of Toney and Watkins will be cut. Prob Toney. One of the wide forwards also can't go - I'd guess Bowen. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bas's perfect hattrick said:

Not sure about Dunk. Southgate seems to like him, which is weird cos he's had a rubbish last couple of matches. I think Branthwaite is the more likely one not to make it. 

One of Toney and Watkins will be cut. Prob Toney. One of the wide forwards also can't go - I'd guess Bowen. 

Fitness doubts on Dunk and Maguire now.

1 hour ago, DolmanGaz said:

agree on Bowen. But for me, Watkins just doesn't look comfortable for England, rather have Toney myself. 

Agree, but Toney has had a poor season. Southgate seems to be making the effort to pick players in form,so I think he will go for Watkins. Pretty irrelevant in the end tho - Kane will play every match. 

The Athletic's David Ornstein is reporting that Jack Grealish and Harry Maguire have been omitted from Gareth Southgate's final 26-man squad for Euro 2024. 

20 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Dont think even the most negative of England fans towards him can find any way to slag him off on those selections!

I admire your optimism but I wouldn't hold your breath!

• Like 2

England's reported 26-man squad for Euro 2024published at 16:04

16:04

Here it is then folks... these are reported to be the 26 players England coach Gareth Southgate will be taking to Germany this summer.

Goalkeepers: Dean Henderson, Jordan Pickford, Aaron Ramsdale.

Defenders: Lewis Dunk, Joe Gomez, Marc Guehi, Ezri Konsa, Luke Shaw, John Stones, Kieran Trippier, Kyle Walker.

Midfielders: Trent Alexander-Arnold, Conor Gallagher, Kobbie Mainoo, Declan Rice, Adam Wharton.

Forwards: Jude Bellingham, Jarrod Bowen, Eberechi Eze, Phil Foden, Anthony Gordon, Harry Kane, Cole Palmer, Bukayo Saka, Ivan Toney, Ollie Watkins.

3 minutes ago, Super said:

Here it is then folks... these are reported to be the 26 players England coach Gareth Southgate will be taking to Germany this summer.

Defenders: Lewis Dunk, Joe Gomez, Marc Guehi, Ezri Konsa, Luke Shaw, John Stones, Kieran Trippier, Kyle Walker.

Midfielders: Trent Alexander-Arnold, Conor Gallagher, Kobbie Mainoo, Declan Rice, Adam Wharton.

Forwards: Jude Bellingham, Jarrod Bowen, Eberechi Eze, Phil Foden, Anthony Gordon, Harry Kane, Cole Palmer, Bukayo Saka, Ivan Toney, Ollie Watkins.

Think it shows we have a few top players at international level, and a mixed-bag beneath.  Need the good players to perform to achieve anything.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Super said:

Gutted for Maguire. Despite the constant criticism and pressure that comes his way, he continues to perform well for England, particularly at tournaments. 

• Like 14

24 minutes ago, TammyAB said:

who partners Stones now? Guehi?

Or will we see a back three now to protect whoever comes in, whether that's Guehi/Gomez/Dunk

Or

Trent  Walker  Stones  Trippier

I’m really not sure on Guehi. The times I have seen him, looks a bit of a car crash. Not sure on Dunk either.

22 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

So that must mean Shaw is fit? Harsh on Grealish, but his form has not been there. As you say - very ruthless from the boss

Excellent Monday. Broke lines played key passes - Assist.

Pointless Grealish being on the pitch.

Mrs Southgate won't want to watch the Euros now. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Super said:

Don't agree with Dunk over Branthwaite personally but even with that switch I've got no idea who partners Stones and hope we don't go to back 3/5 to accommodate them. I'd go brave and pick Konsa there in a 4 next to Walker.

Would have taken Maddison over Bowen as well. Being honest, it doesn't look like a Euro winning squad. Think it's the best front 6 but concerned about depth and defensively and that would be the same even with the players I would have taken too.

1 minute ago, Lew-T said:

Or

Trent  Walker  Stones  Trippier

I’m really not sure on Guehi. The times I have seen him, looks a bit of a car crash. Not sure on Dunk either.

Or Gomez at RB keeping Trent in midfield.

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Ecko said:

Strange to take Dunk over Branthwaite...

100% 

plus Grealish far more influential / different option compared to Bowen but he knows more than I do for sure!!

why only 3 CB's but 6 wide players though? I'd do Branthwaite over Bowen!

Edited by DolmanGaz

Posted (edited)

Its a bit weird people complaining about Maguire being in previous squads, and now when he is omitted being concerned about England's defence. 

I really don't understand Branthwaite being left out if its true - that's an odd one because he has been fantastic this season. Id have also taken Grealish over Bowen

Edited by TonyTonyTony
  • Like 3

• Admin
2 minutes ago, Bris Red said:

Still surprises me Tomori doesn't even get a look into a provisional squad, not convinced with Dunk at all at international level either personally.

Played awful when given his chance 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Its a bit weird people complaining about Maguire being in previous squads, and now when he is omitted being concerned about England's defence. 

I really don't understand Branthwaite being left out if its true - that's an odd one because he has been fantastic this season. Id have also taken Grealish over Bowen

I don't think Southgate is convinced he's ready. Granted it was against one of the best around but the way Haaland destroyed him last season maybe had a bearing on his decision.

Dunk over Branthwaite is the only questionable one for me really. Obviously if Maguire is fit enough then neither of them would be going.

The Grealish decision will get a lot of attention, but I don't think he can have any complaints. I said at the time that I thought he was very fortunate to make the original party given the reasons that Rashford was rightly left out also apply to him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, phantom said:

Played awful when given his chance 

And I think when Southgate went to watch he got sent off /scored an OG.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

It would probably be our weak point regardless of who was selected.

Unfortunately agree .

Most seem to have had injuries too .

• Like 1

Not the 7 I would have cut but no horrendous calls imo. Maguire is a big shame and I’d have Grealish over Bowen in a heartbeat - but our front line isn’t a problem so it’s whatever. The midfield looks relatively well balanced thanks to the late emergence of Mainoo and Wharton and the under appreciated Gallagher.

Defence a concern. We need whoever partners Stones to really step up.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TV Tom said:

Dunk over Maguire (who has never let England down) and ex Hereford star Bowen over Grealish (who Southgate has never rated) is crazy, Southgate is a funking clown

Maguire has been injured and Bowen has been in better form this season. Those two decisions aren't bad. It's the Dunk over Braithwaite that is odd. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ecko said:

Maguire has been injured and Bowen has been in better form this season. Those two decisions aren't bad. It's the Dunk over Braithwaite that is odd. 

I’d have taken Grealish without doubt