IGNORED

England Pre-Euro Friendlies - Bosnia & Iceland

MarcusX

10 minutes ago, 2015 said:

The long and short of it is Southgate rates Bowen higher than Grealish and Dunk higher than Branthwaite which is crazy to me.

Forgot to address that bit, I'd agree I don't think Bowen's good enough though he's not a direct replacement for Grealish.

Bowen does offer something different because he looks to get down the line and play wide, but he's way behind Saka there - however, should Saka get injured (when isn't he?) then he's a similar replacement.

It looks to me like Southgate has settled more on a style of play and characteristics and looked to fill depth with those same styles.

I think it's more Grealish vs Foden vs Eze (and maybe even Palmer) on the left, and I'd have probably still gone Grealish over Eze at this stage.

1 minute ago, MarcusX said:

Forgot to address that bit, I'd agree I don't think Bowen's good enough though he's not a direct replacement for Grealish.

Bowen does offer something different because he looks to get down the line and play wide, but he's way behind Saka there - however, should Saka get injured (when isn't he?) then he's a similar replacement.

It looks to me like Southgate has settled more on a style of play and characteristics and looked to fill depth with those same styles.

I think it's more Grealish vs Foden vs Eze (and maybe even Palmer) on the left, and I'd have probably still gone Grealish over Eze at this stage.

In regard to Bowen he can also play up top which is why i thought Toney might get left out.

Just now, Super said:

In regard to Bowen he can also play up top which is why i thought Toney might get left out.

True, I think it would be Bowen v Watkins though as a "play in behind" style. Toney was a bit more "involved" against Belgium in getting on the ball

I would have took Jack, no one else like him to have on the bench and make a difference if required, and his energy and spirit around the camp would have been a bonus.

Crazy times to think a £100million pound player, who has won the treble, isn't good enough for England!!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Bowen could be in on the basis of his pace . Southgate has always liked to have that option for when Kane drops deep and can pick out runners. we’ve seen it with Sterling, rashford and saka.  Bowen’s more in that mould than grealish, albeit not of the same high quality of any of them . We do need pace in the team or on the bench. 
Agree with the consensus Dunk is lucky to be there , must be reasons beyond what he offers on the pitch. Southgate values the ‘club’ mentality at tournaments and has done very well in creating a strong team bond in tournaments .  Maybe Dunk offers something there as a senior squad member, especially with a number of younger lads in the squad. 
Usually we get a player emerging into the team who seizes a chance , like Saka in the last Euro’s. Wonder who that might it be this time? Wharton maybe. 

8 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

You make a good point. It was interesting that Southgate said we would see a different England. Unfortunately he wasn't asked to expand on that. We'll see soon enough I guess.

11 hours ago, Harry said:

I suppose flair was the wrong word. 
Maverick would be a better one. Southgate doesn’t like a Maverick. 

Is Jack a maverick though? He certainly was at Villa but Pep has made him a different player. He's more tactically aware and disciplined but we don't see much of the many dribbles these days.

Crudely put it Pep wants control he picks Grealish, if he wants to inject some chaos he picks Doku.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Harry said:

he’s only ever played under 1 “top level” manager and was an integral part of a treble. 
This season was beset with injury and then he couldn’t oust a scintillating Doku. 
I don’t think we can conclude that “highest top level” managers don’t fancy him when the only “highest top level” manager he’s played under signed him for a record fee and helped him win a treble. 

Think 18 starts a season under Pep tells its own story!

Anyway, more importantly, how are Austria going to do?!

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Think 18 starts a season under Pep tells its own story!

Anyway, more importantly, how are Austria going to do?!

Here’s some stats that Pep would be interested in. 
Man City lost 3 games last season. Grealish only played 10 minutes in those 3 games (10 mins of scrub time as a late sub in 1 game). 
Man City drew 7 games last season. 
Grealish only started 1 of those and only played a brief role in 2 others. In those 169 minutes he scored 2 goals. 

So the 10 games that Man City didn’t get 3 points last season, Grealish was hardly involved, and the minor involvement he did have, he contributed 2 goals. 

As I pointed out last week, Man City were more likely to win when Grealish played and were less likely to concede a goal when Grealish played vs Doku. 

As for the limited starts. He was first choice at the start of the season but a hamstring injury curtailed him for a while and then Doku was in good form when Jack returned and Pep had a preference for the different style that Doku brought. 

It’s a total misnomer that Grealish was “out of form”. When he did play, he played well, contributed to a more defensively secure team, a more successful team (this is based on statistical evidence), gave the ball away less than Doku, made more key passes than Doku and had a better shots on target ratio. 
He was not in poor form, he just wasn’t being preferred. 

And his form was clear and evident on Monday night in the friendly. 
I ask again, if you’re playing someone in a friendly to assess where they’re at, they come on for 25 minutes, have a sublime game and create 2 goals, doesn’t they answer the question “where’s he at?”  
What’s the point in going through such an assessment if you are going to ignore the evidence and outcome? 

As for your Austrian sweepstake team mate - blame the kids for the draw 🤣

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Betty Swallocks said:

Wharton will get minutes at these Euros, and quite a few of them as well, I suspect. 

Agreed - I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a couple of starts.

Largely happy with the squad, would've liked to have seen Branthwaite for Dunk ideally.

I wonder whether this indicates we are going to play a back 5 with wingbacks at times - perhaps Walker as one of the centre halves.

59 minutes ago, Harry said:

Here’s some stats that Pep would be interested in. 
Man City lost 3 games last season. Grealish only played 10 minutes in those 3 games (10 mins of scrub time as a late sub in 1 game). 
Man City drew 7 games last season. 
Grealish only started 1 of those and only played a brief role in 2 others. In those 169 minutes he scored 2 goals. 

So the 10 games that Man City didn’t get 3 points last season, Grealish was hardly involved, and the minor involvement he did have, he contributed 2 goals. 

As I pointed out last week, Man City were more likely to win when Grealish played and were less likely to concede a goal when Grealish played vs Doku. 

As for the limited starts. He was first choice at the start of the season but a hamstring injury curtailed him for a while and then Doku was in good form when Jack returned and Pep had a preference for the different style that Doku brought. 

It’s a total misnomer that Grealish was “out of form”. When he did play, he played well, contributed to a more defensively secure team, a more successful team (this is based on statistical evidence), gave the ball away less than Doku, made more key passes than Doku and had a better shots on target ratio. 
He was not in poor form, he just wasn’t being preferred. 

And his form was clear and evident on Monday night in the friendly. 
I ask again, if you’re playing someone in a friendly to assess where they’re at, they come on for 25 minutes, have a sublime game and create 2 goals, doesn’t they answer the question “where’s he at?”  
What’s the point in going through such an assessment if you are going to ignore the evidence and outcome? 

As for your Austrian sweepstake team mate - blame the kids for the draw 🤣

Jack Grealish needs to sack his agent off and get you involved!

• Haha 1

Just now, Kid in the Riot said:

Jack Grealish needs to sack his agent off and get you involved!

Ha ha. Agreed!! 
What’s the usual commissions? I’ll happily take 10% of his next £50m transfer 🤣

I’ll give you a cut too if Austria win 😜

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, MarcusX said:

All fair points, I think the argument that he's gone on form isn't particularly true. You could argue Stones form comes in the way of England appearances, same for Shaw - the rest I'm not sure and if anything Dunk's "form" should have seen him banished after the earlier friendlies

Personally though i don't think the decision is Dunk v Branthwaite as people are making out. It's Branthwait v Guehi, I think Dunk goes either way for experience (albeit in terms of age and club level not international - but we're not blessed with either)

I am more surprised about Grealish than Maddison, especially after Monday night. He's relatively fresh as well - that's one benefit for some of these players that have played less - he also has the experience of being in the squad in the last two tournaments and that's vital once you get into the knockouts.

Did you not watch Monday? Slotted in seamlessly and looked like a real quality. In a midfield that's not steeped in quality or depth he's a great option to have, with Mainoo injured and Trent still an uncertainty he could get more minutes than you'd think - especially if we get any injuries to someone like Rice.

No chance he gets in ahead of Foden or Bellingham in a 10, IMO. THough I think the 3 behind Kane should all be played with some positional freedom to roam, a bit like the Belgium friendly.

I did watch Monday yes , I didn’t realise Mainoo was injured so I will bow to your superior knowledge on that one.  

2 minutes ago, Markthehorn said:

Team for tonight.

Ramsdale

Walker Stones Guehi Trippier

Mainoo Rice

Palmer Foden Gordon

Kane

Is Palmer ahead of Saka ?

Think a fully fit Saka starts over Gordon.

Trouble with Palmer is you can’t give him a position. He needs free reign on the pitch, but that’s the position Bellingham will fill.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, NewquayRed said:

Was expecting Bowen to miss out, lacks the quality for me in the final third which was evident again the other nite. Really don’t understand the Grealish decision, plays 20mins turns the game, puts in a shift and doesn’t make it.

Will miss him when we need to either close a game out or un lock a defence through intricate play rather than power or pace. Have to wonder if there are any non football related issues at play here, as this doesn’t make any sense for me. 

Really? Bowen scored 20 goals this season 

21 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Think a fully fit Saka starts over Gordon.

Trouble with Palmer is you can’t give him a position. He needs free reign on the pitch, but that’s the position Bellingham will fill.

That is true and we will start with 2 defensive midfielders I guess.

31 minutes ago, gazza1982 said:

Really? Bowen scored 20 goals this season 

He was pretty poor the other night 

Who’s the keeper ? Don’t recognise him as Gareth only picks players in form for their clubs 😵

4 players from Crystal Palace in the squad, the team with the most players in the squad.  Wow 😯 

This game epitomises my dislike of inverted wide players . 

I know it can work , but for various reasons we have doubled up with 2 right footed players down the left so the width is lacking completely . 

16 minutes ago, LoyalRed said:

4 players from Crystal Palace in the squad, the team with the most players in the squad.  Wow 😯 

Should be 5 imo. Mitchell the left back I would have had in the squad. If Shaw is not fit we don't have a natural left back to play. Trippier always has to check back onto his right foot, easy to defend against.

8 minutes ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

Is Walker fully fit, he doesn't seem to be taking a defender on and is passing back a lot.

I’ve watched the game for 45 mins and was fairly sure he wasn’t playing tonight 🤣

2 minutes ago, BS3_RED said:

Safe to say that Palmer is anything but ice cold in front of goal for England tonight. 

Played himself out of a starting place 

Gordon is awful ! 

Just now, Ecko said:

I forgot Foden was on the pitch. 

He doesn't seem to play as well as he does for Man City..

Getting the bad performance out of the way hopefully.

Even Kane missed a sitter.

Do worry about the defence though lacking concentrating/focus.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ecko said:

I forgot Foden was on the pitch. 

Plays well with Grealish 😬

Something so awfully hilarious about a lone trumpet or whatever starting a very sad attempt at God save the king in a silent Wembley as we're lucky to be losing 1 - 0 to Iceland.

Really feeling like the tournament has started already.

6 minutes ago, MelksRed said:

Hopefully Eze will inject some pace and direction.....

Is he on ? 

Just now, Super said:

Some of the crossing has been league 2 standard.

Well that last one from Trent ended almost back on the halfway line 😄