IGNORED

England Pre-Euro Friendlies - Bosnia & Iceland

MarcusX

2 minutes ago, Peter1450 said:

Commentary wondering what Southgate has learnt from this evening, I’d suggest it’s not football management.

Ineos have just scratched him off their list for a new manager 

3 minutes ago, MelksRed said:

I don't know about the rest of you....but I'm inspired and excited for the Euros! 🤐

Can’t wait for Soccer Aid 

3 minutes ago, Rossi the Robin said:

Bring back Jordan Henderson 

The experience has gone , picked too many inexperienced players at this level 

That performance simply isn't good enough. £65 for a child's ticket to watch that. 

Friendly or not, that's an embarassing performance and result

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sticks 1969 said:

This result will dampen down expectations which is never a bad thing the real business starts next Sunday that’s when results matter …

Might just be a longer plan to dampen expectations for the 2026 WC in fact

2 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

If anybody thought tonight was going to be anything worth watching were kidding themselves 

One week from a major tournament No player was going to risk anything

Next Sundays game is what matters

Yep. I guarantee Southgate and the players won't be half as concerned as the more shouty elements of the fanbase.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

Utter dog poo - last game before as tournament surely you'd be wanting to impress as a member of that side.

Grealish, Maguire and Maddison all sat at home laughing as we speak 

Maguire was injured tbf.

Just now, The chief said:

Yep. Should be a good crack in Germany next weekend . ….

…. until the England game starts 

Let's hope that is a wake up call and we look to perform better with more threat and pace in the Euros.

Just now, Markthehorn said:

Maguire was injured tbf.

Let's hope that is a wake up call and we look to perform better with more threat and pace in the Euros.

Maguire was injured until the end of the group games, still worth taking for the knock out games as he scores goals.  Shaw didn’t play for Man Utd for loads of games this season , Rooney mentioned some players weren’t playing for the team because of the euros and then he’s going to be fit for the 2nd game.  

2 minutes ago, Markthehorn said:

Maguire was injured tbf.

That will probably happen. Our problems start when we face a contender with their own threat and pace unless Gareth is going down the win 4-3 route…….

13 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Regardless of whether our front men start getting it right you cannot win a tournament with what we’ve got at the back. Not possible imo.

It pains me to say that i agree. Would take a minor miracle and a huge huge amount of luck IMO if we win the tournament with the defensive options we have. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LoyalRed said:

Maguire was injured until the end of the group games, still worth taking for the knock out games as he scores goals.  Shaw didn’t play for Man Utd for loads of games this season , Rooney mentioned some players weren’t playing for the team because of the euros and then he’s going to be fit for the 2nd game.  

I suspect some were holding back a bit.

Fair point on Shaw.

The biggest worry must be how we couldn't break them down.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Wow. That was just appalling from front to back. 

Totally clueless. Lightweight, no cohesion, lacking basic structure and patterns of play. Seemed like a random bunch of young, inexperienced players thrown together in a mad panic in the hope something would work.

Let’s pray Southgate has a cunning plan for the Euros.

Edited by RedRock
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, LoyalRed said:

Why are they bigging Gordon up ? He was terrible ! 

His final ball was I agree, a shame because he looked quick and a threat right up until well you know, a better Junior Bent.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just to play devil's advocate here with all the Southgate out stuff, what would a different manager have done differently tonight? Interested to know... I keep hearing the 'take the handbrake off' but 7 of that team should start the first game, the others apart from Ramsdale have had good seasons. 

At what point is it just the players not showing up? 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Channel 4 too afraid to say Ramsdale made a mistake for the goal and criticise the performance in any way.

One of the commentators did just after Iceland scored. 

25 minutes ago, TV Tom said:

Surprised he didn’t bring someone on who would have frightened the opposition defence to death, like Grealish perhaps, oh, hang on !!!!

Grealish hasn’t frightened many to death this season tbf , what makes you think he would of tonight and I’m a grealish fan but he just hasn’t played enough , I would have had palmer off earlier and got eze on palmer just kept cutting back inside all the time bit like Anthony at yaaanited 

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, redkev said:

Grealish hasn’t frightened many to death this season tbf , what makes you think he would of tonight and I’m a grealish fan but he just hasn’t played enough , I would have had palmer off earlier and got eze on palmer just kept cutting back inside all the time bit like Anthony at yaaanited 

I would have kept Grealish in the squad. He knows Foden’s game, to a lesser extent Kane’s and has loads of experience. 

We just looked like a load of headless chickens tonight. No partnerships, interchanges, understandings. Forget the result, it’s just worrying that we put in such a desperately clueless performance after years of squad preparation and just 9 days before the start of the Tournament.

After years of Southgate resisting selecting on-form players, at the very last minute he’s had a total reversal of his previous approach. Consequently, we had one of the most disjointed England performances for ages with players who have rarely, if ever, played together. 

Anyhows, sure Southgate must have something up his sleeve for the actual Tournament. 

Edited by RedRock

1 hour ago, TV Tom said:

Surprised he didn’t bring someone on who would have frightened the opposition defence to death, like Grealish perhaps, oh, hang on !!!!

Grealish does nothing against a packed low block, which is probably why Pep doesn't play him much.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

TAA has to start in Midfield. 

Only until we reach knockouts. Him in midfield against a France/germany/spain/holland/portugal is an absolute bloodbath waiting to happen. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, redkev said:

This is the problem with Southgate, he drops people saying they didn’t have the best season for their clubs but then brings along Ramsdale who hasn’t played all season.  Grealish is a talent worth taking as is Rashford, that ball he played in the FA cup final for the second goal was something I couldn’t see most of this team being able to do. 

20 minutes ago, LoyalRed said:

This is the problem with Southgate, he drops people saying they didn’t have the best season for their clubs but then brings along Ramsdale who hasn’t played all season.  Grealish is a talent worth taking as is Rashford, that ball he played in the FA cup final for the second goal was something I couldn’t see most of this team being able to do. 

Well he was due one good pass this season I suppose

10 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

TAA has to start in Midfield. 

Was at the game and he was by far our best player when he came on. He’s the nearest England have to De Bruyne. Start him alongside Rice with Bellingham ahead. Must admit thought it was Ashton Gate last night watching City Labour to break down an average side. Lack of pace and power, looked better when Saka came on. Not convinced at all by the squad decision. A lot of average players who haven’t played at the highest level. 

• Like 3

I didn't watch the game, but reading a match review, it says we needed Gallagher's energy and Maguire's physicality.

We're in trouble if we're missing Gallagher and Maguire...

Also, Southgate is an idiot. Shaw is injured, Chilwell has been terrible, so why didn't he blood Mitchell or someone at LB? Trippier is past it, hasn't had a great season and isn't a left back.

• Like 1

Not overly worried about the result last night at all, would rather they do away with these sort of games before a big tournament. I am however extremely worried about the back 4 - feel as though we could make do without Maguire, but with Stones maybe being injured, Shaw not fit & Walker out of sorts, its a bit of a nightmare.

52 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

I didn't watch the game, but reading a match review, it says we needed Gallagher's energy and Maguire's physicality.

We're in trouble if we're missing Gallagher and Maguire...

Also, Southgate is an idiot. Shaw is injured, Chilwell has been terrible, so why didn't he blood Mitchell or someone at LB? Trippier is past it, hasn't had a great season and isn't a left back.

His treatment of Chilwell over the years has been poor.  He was dropped in the team for his debut away to Croatia then Spain and was superb. Looked to the manor born.    Won the Champions League with Chelsea being one of the players of the match and then doesn't get a look in for the Euros straight after.  For all his 'we take care of the players' schtick, White and Chilwell would probably beg to differ and the common denominator is Steve Holland.  If your manager or coach with big influence makes it clear he doesn't rate you then you have a massive uphill task persuading him otherwise.  Made about 100 times worse if you're constantly injured.  He needs to leave Chelsea

Also agree that any doubts he had about Mitchell should have been put to one side and he should be in the squad even if Trippier starts at LB.  He was not given a proper chance and even if he'd been called up for a couple of breaks and not played he'd at least settled into the environment.  Very odd how they can be so certain about players sometimes even when to not give them a go makes matters far more complicated.  When you consider that he plays next to Guehi its even weirder.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, The Bard said:

His treatment of Chilwell over the years has been poor.  He was dropped in the team for his debut away to Croatia then Spain and was superb. Looked to the manor born.    Won the Champions League with Chelsea being one of the players of the match and then doesn't get a look in for the Euros straight after.  For all his 'we take care of the players' schtick, White and Chilwell would probably beg to differ and the common denominator is Steve Holland.  If your manager or coach with big influence makes it clear he doesn't rate you then you have a massive uphill task persuading him otherwise.  Made about 100 times worse if you're constantly injured.  He needs to leave Chelsea

Also agree that any doubts he had about Mitchell should have been put to one side and he should be in the squad even if Trippier starts at LB.  He was not given a proper chance and even if he'd been called up for a couple of breaks and not played he'd at least settled into the environment.  Very odd how they can be so certain about players sometimes even when to not give them a go makes matters far more complicated.  When you consider that he plays next to Guehi it’s even weirder.

Odd not taking or properly trying a left back previously when the left backs have been injury prone for years . Could have tried Mitchell/Guéhi out at least . Similarly, could have given Brathwaite more of a chance, him and Pickford having played a full season together, in a very effective defence, but he opted for a not fully fit Dunk. These partnerships exist at club level so using that would seem to make sense- especially with such a disrupted defence. 
Some weird decisions . 
I wonder if there are a few other injuries - Saka was looking well off his best last night. Walker looked so ponderous and slow too. 
Think Iceland was a poor choice of opponent - they went for it 100% whereas we (understandably) looked like we wanted to play safe and avoid injury. 

I've got nothing of substance to add to this debate. I don't know who half the players are because I don't watch the EPL. I'm not too concerned about a pre-tournament match, I'm hoping we can replicate Italy or Spain or whoever it was who lost their pre-tournament games and then won the title.

I said hoping…Sesame Street Idk GIF

2 hours ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Was at the game and he was by far our best player when he came on. He’s the nearest England have to De Bruyne. Start him alongside Rice with Bellingham ahead. Must admit thought it was Ashton Gate last night watching City Labour to break down an average side. Lack of pace and power, looked better when Saka came on. Not convinced at all by the squad decision. A lot of average players who haven’t played at the highest level. 

Agree with most of that but Saka looked well off it!

Haha ⬆️⬆️⬆️

FWIW the preparation for Germany is hampered by club football programme (and the odd club jetting straight off after the season).  It’s the same for most nations though.  But it’s hardly perfect prep is it?  So I don’t take too much notice of the result / performance, more the individuals.

I still think we have a few very good players at this level…Kane, Bellingham and Saka…they’ve proved it as this level.  The others have only really proved themselves at club level…and mostly in the top teams, where once you take away their teammates you start to ask questions about their ability to then look as good alongside their international teammates.  Imho they start to look less impressive.  I’m not saying they look shit, far from it, but it starts to level out.

And so we become hugely reliant on our best players dragging the rest upwards.

Last night I saw a team struggle to break down an opponent who having gone 1-0 up could just sit in.  It happens.  Kane takes his chance, it’s a different game.  But that’s irrelevant, he didn’t.  What it did highlight is that we are not very good in transition to defence.  And I think some of that comes from some of our players not being very good going back towards our goal, the more attack minded players.  Against better teams, we’d have got murdered last night.

Southgate has to find a way to get the balance right.

The balance will be better next week when Bellingham and Saka start a game with Kane, meaning our best 3 are playing.  But the others probably except Rice and Pickford you could perm any 6 of them in all honesty.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Bard said:

Also agree that any doubts he had about Mitchell should have been put to one side and he should be in the squad even if Trippier starts at LB.  He was not given a proper chance and even if he'd been called up for a couple of breaks and not played he'd at least settled into the environment.  Very odd how they can be so certain about players sometimes even when to not give them a go makes matters far more complicated.  When you consider that he plays next to Guehi its even weirder.

He just doesn’t rate Chilwell just like he doesn’t rate Grealish, whenever Grealish did have a good game for England it was always begrudging praise he gave,

He’s taking Wharton, Bowen, Gordon, Toney & Bowen to Germany who will barely get any minutes between them whereas Grealish is able to change the game with one pass that no one else can see (and he’s the best around at drawing fouls!!!!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TV Tom said:

He just doesn’t rate Chilwell just like he doesn’t rate Grealish, whenever Grealish did have a good game for England it was always begrudging praise he gave,

He’s taking Wharton, Bowen, Gordon, Toney & Bowen to Germany who will barely get any minutes between them whereas Grealish is able to change the game with one pass that no one else can see (and he’s the best around at drawing fouls!!!!)

Surely must be a space for Grealish if he’s named Bowen twice 😉