IGNORED

Man City launch unprecedented legal action against Premier League

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

This is exactly the type of legal action you take when you know you're innocent. 

Clearly attempting to bog down the whole process in never ending legal hearings and obfuscation.

• Like 4

On reflection there are wider implications for society as a whole. Think about it, when the Tories lose the election Sunak can sue the electorate and get 5 more years in power as the case crawls through the courts. 😉

9 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Competition Law seems to be the Human Rights Law of the wealthy. It's really getting a good airing in recent cases (although it underpins cases as far back as Bosman).

• Thanks 3

55 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Competition Law seems to be the Human Rights Law of the wealthy. It's really getting a good airing in recent cases (although it underpins cases as far back as Bosman).

Ironic given that they want to use the wealth of a nation state in a way a lay person would regard as anti-competitive.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Crackers Corner said:

Am I  understanding right that man city are saying that rich owners should be able to invest as much as they like via sponsorship?

Specifically through Associated Party Transactions (deals with businesses linked to the club) the size of which they don't want to be limited by an assessment of fair market value.

So, yes.

• Like 2

I kind of expected this , or something like it , but from the Americans .

Sign up for a competition , agree to the rules , break the rules ( or want to change them ) then when found out spit the dummy.

They get the biggest share of the cake as it is, and aren't satisfied . I would love all the other Clubs to stand up for the Competition , but I think some may side with Man City if they think it may help their own self interests.

I ******* hate modern football and what it's become. 

• Like 14
  • Facepalm 1

48 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Ironic given that they want to use the wealth of a nation state in a way a lay person would regard as anti-competitive.

Depends where you want your competition - some want it on the pitch, others would rather it happened in the banking halls.

Thing is recent cases both in the UK, and on the continent, and in the CAS, have tended to lean towards the pro-competition law bent. 

This Man City case is going to be ongoing when we get the next Super League judgement out of Madrid. That's a competition law argument as well. 

It's a huge area where clubs and athletes are pushing back against the leagues and organising bodies that have made them rich.

It's fascinating, also grubby and horrible, but fascinating.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

It's fascinating, also grubby and horrible, but fascinating.

And also simply a follow on from Jimmy Hill's campaign to remove the wage cap and the later Bosman cases.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, westonred said:

Wouldn't it be great if they lost and got kicked out the league ;)

I'll tell you something , a large part of me was supporting the Euro League, as long as the teams were banned from the English League. I'd be happy to see the super rich , greedy , grabbing top few **** off. 
The Championship is by no means a level playing field, but it's closer than the Prem and much more enjoyable to watch. 

• Like 11

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I'll tell you something , a large part of me was supporting the Euro League, as long as the teams were banned from the English League. I'd be happy to see the super rich , greedy , grabbing top few **** off. 
The Championship is by no means a level playing field, but it's closer than the Prem and much more enjoyable to watch. 

did you listen to the latest pod from Kieran Maguire? Some interesting talk re having a smaller Premier League. No mention of Super League but perhaps it would be a good idea to get rid of those who wanted to go

FIFA warned players could strike over workload, 777 miss Everton takeover deadline
The Price of Football

Kevin and Kieran discuss the news that FIFA has been warned that players are willing to go on strike if they continue to be overworked, and find out why Everton say they are assessing other options after the deadline for the sale of the club to 777 Partners expired. COVERED IN THIS EPISODE: - FIFPro - Everton - Replica shirts - Return on investment - Ownership and directors test - Parallel Contracts Follow Kevin on X - @kevinhunterday Follow Kieran on X - @KieranMaguire Follow Producer Guy on X - @guykilty Follow The Price of Football on X - @pof_pod Send in a question: questions@priceoffootball.com Support The Price of Football on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/priceoffootball Check out the Price of Football merchandise store: https://the-price-of-football.backstreetmerch.com/ Visit the website: https://priceoffootball.com/ For sponsorship email - info@adelicious.fm The Price of Football is a Dap Dip production: https://dapdip.co.uk/ contact@dapdip.co.uk Learn more about your ad choices. Visit podcastchoices.com/adchoices Learn more about your ad choices. Visit podcastchoices.com/adchoices

Listen on Apple Podcasts: https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/the-price-of-football/id1482886394?i=1000657737540

Edited by exAtyeoMax
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Hxj said:

And also simply a follow on from Jimmy Hill's campaign to remove the wage cap and the later Bosman cases.

True, though those benefited the players. Players are now simply assets to be sweated. Literally as they have to play more and more games to drive more and more revenue growth while the clubs pay lip service to their welfare.

20 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

did you listen to the latest pod from Kieran Maguire? Some interesting talk re having a smaller Premier League. No mention of Super League but perhaps it would be a good idea to get rid of those who wanted to go

I might give that a listen tomorrow, thanks.

1 minute ago, chinapig said:

True, though those benefited the players. Players are now simply assets to be sweated. Literally as they have to play more and more games to drive more and more revenue growth while the clubs pay lip service to their welfare.

It does make me laugh when the Clubs mention too many games, while walking up the steps of an aircraft flying across the 'world for a lucrative friendly after a full season . 

They want to lose Cup replays, not great money spinners and so an inconvenience , but want well paying tours. It does feel like they would be happy to be Harlem Globetrotter type teams. Not being bothered about League games and just concentrate on money spinning tour games. 

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Along with that clubs will stop selling season tickets because 'legacy fans' don't generate enough revenue for their liking.

Even we are moving in that direction. Though I can't see us building a global fan base under Jon's inspiring leadership to cash in on.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, chinapig said:

Along with that clubs will stop selling season tickets because 'legacy fans' don't generate enough revenue for their liking.

Even we are moving in that direction. Though I can't see us building a global fan base under Jon's inspiring leadership to cash in on.

Can see that's a dangerous precedent if the team isn't successful and the day-trippers stop coming

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

I don’t think just the wealthy, but for the states too. The CMA have been handed their @rse quite a bit recently.

Edit; this isn’t me leaning on the side of Man City at all; they’re rank.  

Edited by 38MC
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Can see that's a dangerous precedent if the team isn't successful and the day-trippers stop coming

Football as a whole isn't a long term plan industry. In the modern era especially.

There are absolutely exceptions and some are huge clubs or hugely successful clubs so can rather absorb but football as a whole is quite short termist..The good times roll and will continue to roll- trophies soon, that shiny player now.

Etc.

1 minute ago, 1960maaan said:

It does make me laugh when the Clubs mention too many games, while walking up the steps of an aircraft flying across the 'world for a lucrative friendly after a full season .

When Pep was challenged on this recently he said they had to play those games to pay the wage bill!

Pleading poverty is a novel defence but I think we can assume his concern for the welfare of his players is not as strong as his love of money.

• Like 2