IGNORED

Man City launch unprecedented legal action against Premier League

https://www.theguardian.com/football/article/2024/jun/05/manchester-city-chair-warns-premier-league-is-to-become-less-competitive

City are now claiming that the PL will become less competitive. This echoes Richard Masters' unsupported argument against the independent regulator.

Their Chairman doesn't specify in what way it will be less competitive. If he means internally, City have won 6 of the last 7 titles so it is they who have made it less competitive already.

If he means relative to the big European leagues, the PL has vastly greater resources than them and there is no threat to that.

I think the correct term for this is special pleading. Or in lay terms, utter bollox.

• Like 5

23 hours ago, Crackers Corner said:

For me if man city win this will lead to breakup of prem and inevitable super league. It's high time the FA grow a pair and make an example. Why can the "poorer" prem teams be punished quickly but FA walking on treacle when dealing with man city.

Man City are being accused of different things

to what Everton and Forest got done for

25 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Was about to post the same link. Absolutely lays out the issues at stake. Sell your soul to the highest bidder (or devil if you prefer) but then don’t be surprised when it turns out that person or entity has no scruples in screwing you over again and again. And that’s what the “English” Premier League has done. Greed has begat greed has begat even more greed until  we now have a nation state and its lawyers trying to gaslight the rest of football that it is standing up for the “little people” when the reality is anything but!

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Brilliant article. It’s been obvious for years that this race to the bottom would destroy the game we love. In the PL anyway . 

I think the point of no return was passed a few years back.

Edited by milo1111
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, milo1111 said:

Brilliant article. It’s been obvious for years that this race to the bottom would destroy the game we love. In the PL anyway . 

I think the point of no return was passed a few years back.

It was - on 15 August 1992! :grr:

• Like 1

Since the formation of the premier league it has become ever more clear that PL clubs don't really give a flying fig about the rest of the football league.

It is now becoming ever clearer that Man City don't give a flying fig about the rest of the premier league.

• Like 3

On 04/06/2024 at 21:02, Sir Geoff said:

I know there are cons against this, but would it be so bad if clubs were allowed to spend what they want. They can only field 11 players at one time. Man City would still win the league every year, Real Madrid would still win the Champions League, PSG Ligue one, Bayern the Bundesliga etc. Clubs would still go bust.

5 years time there will be 2 x 16 club leagues called Prem 1 and Prem 2.

I hate everything about the PL and the greedy fekkers in charge. Seriously hope it goes bang soon.

Me too. I used to support our 'English' clubs in European competitions. Those days are long gone. It is ruining the Sport with their money and they have the full monopoly over transfers.

Honestly I've lost my passion for football because of how much filthy money is being spent in England.

Bundesliga just seems so much more pure and authentic than England's financial steroids.

• Like 5