IGNORED

Tommy Conway Baby

REDOXO

• Admin
8 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Thought he should have his own thread rather than a few posts in The Scotland Thread

For anyone living on the moon or Horefield Conway had just been called up for Scotland!

Lots of comments already over here, but understand the point you were making 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Is this the final squad or still just the provisional? I.e can he still be left behind?

My understanding the short answer is yes and he’s in the squad for a friendly pre tournament. The long answer is unlikely!

• Thanks 1

• Admin
28 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

I’m suddenly a Scotland fan as well whilst out there now

I wouldn't go that far lol

21 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

My understanding the short answer is yes and he’s in the squad for a friendly pre tournament. The long answer is unlikely!

How many are still in their squad? 

They were two over originally 

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Dolman Block B said:

Great news and great for our football club 

And Steve’s nest egg.

1 minute ago, Malago said:

Can somebody explain the baby reference in the title please.

It’s our song for him.

Tommy Conway baby. Tommy Conway woaaaaaahhhhhhh

Edited by RedEyez

Some positive words for him from ex-City striker Lee Miller in this article too.

Former Scotland forward Lee Miller told Tuesday's Scottish Football Podcast: "For me, it's a no-brainer.

"Bring him into the environment, see how he gets on with the players, see how he strikes up partnerships and relationships.

"These youngsters in the first team play with the safety catch off, they play with a freedom and they don't tense up.

"I think he'll get thrown in and I don't see why he shouldn't."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/cglljld4v0vo

To be honest I am probably more excited about Scotlands first game against Germany than England vs Serbia at the moment.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, phantom said:

I wouldn't go that far :laugh:

I might be wrong but I assume 27. Ben Doak pulled out and they already had an injured striker so, unless I missed something, they've lost two and gained one. 

Given they've lost two attacking players (albeit one a winger), I'd be surprised if Conway was the player to make way when the final squad is announced. 

First of all - that’s amazing and a huge well done to Tommy. 

From a colder, business perspective, if he’s intent on leaving this is really good for us. A goal or three in the Euros, a few headlines, more money for us.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I didn't know, and am slightly surprised, he only qualifies through one grandparent... 

Yes, a Scottish grandfather.

His other grandfather is from Chard,  mind. And his roots are as Somerset as can be. His great grandmother still gets to home games, although she only has to travel from Patchway - still a good effort when you're 80+, mind.

• Like 10

5 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

His other grandfather is from Chard,  mind. And his roots are as Somerset as can be. His great grandmother still gets to home games, although she only has to travel from Patchway - still a good effort when you're 80+, mind.

Another example of why international call up rules need to change. 

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

25 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

He certainly looks Scottish!

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

His other grandfather is from Chard,  mind. 

13 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Steve Clarke following the Jack Charlton playbook.

10 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

He certainly looks Scottish!

He eats Scots porridge oats for breakfast.

Tommy McOnway

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

I might be wrong but I assume 27. Ben Doak pulled out and they already had an injured striker so, unless I missed something, they've lost two and gained one. 

Given they've lost two attacking players (albeit one a winger), I'd be surprised if Conway was the player to make way when the final squad is announced. 

They also have 4 gks in the squad so you'd imagine it will be a gk that is sent home. 

Unless Scotland want to take 4 gks, Tommys seat on the plane is confirmed. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Listening to the Ian Gay/Tinnion interview and you read between the lines there is a frustration with him re the contract. I can’t see him being here. 

Yes. Tinnions body language was very telling whilst discussing Tommy. 

Last summer Scott went with our best wishes but there seems to be a different feel to Tommys situation. 

I also think that the no 9 we want to bring in, is Tommys replacement. We will of course be happy for Tommy to stay but I don't think we'll bring bring in the no 9 + another striker if Tommy goes. 

22 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Last summer Scott went with our best wishes but there seems to be a different feel to Tommys situation. 

I also think that the no 9 we want to bring in, is Tommys replacement. We will of course be happy for Tommy to stay but I don't think we'll bring bring in the no 9 + another striker if Tommy goes. 

How long did Scott have left on n his contract? I can’t remember. 

Why celebrate he doesn’t want to play for us?! Refused contract offers for two years and BT insinuating he will leave for tribunal which means not a lot! 

i will get shot down but wheres the loyalty! Weve never held anyone back, even if he signs now hes messed the club about too long

6 hours ago, BS30 City said:

Why celebrate he doesn’t want to play for us?! Refused contract offers for two years and BT insinuating he will leave for tribunal which means not a lot! 

i will get shot down but wheres the loyalty! Weve never held anyone back, even if he signs now hes messed the club about too long

To be honest he’s another one who has believed his own hype. Take away penalties and he really isn’t worth celebrating about. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Im sure Tinnion says in that interview that if Tommy goes we need to sign another striker. 

If the club are intent on moving forward there are times to stand up and fight, and in my view the club need to fight to keep Tommy here for at least another season.The fact Tommy has not signed a new contract yet ( possibly as advised by his agent) does not in itself make him disloyal, he has never come across as anything other than enthusiastic for City, it may simply be a negotiation for the best deal he can get HERE.

Don’t chuck the baby out with the bath water, wait and see

• Like 5
  • Flames 2

Posted (edited)

We will obviously have our opinions on Conway the player, but the hardest bit to opine on is the mind of a pro footballer…because it’s just not like a normal job.  We try to get inside their heads and “if I were him I’d do this or that”, but it’s so hard because we don’t know what’s actually gone on, what’s been offered, who’s interested, etc.

But whilst he’s still a City player I will congratulate him on his call up to the Scotland Senior squad.

And until he shows signs of not putting it in on the pitch for City he will get my support at AG.  He’s not failed to do that during 23/24 having not signed the contract.  Where has the disloyalty come from?  What’s changed?  Apart from the time left on his current deal, nothing.  And all that does is change the pros and cons of a decision that needs to be made by LM and those above him.

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 16
  • Flames 3

50 minutes ago, Tim Monaghan said:

This! I don’t get it. It’s so random. We’re practically celebrating his disloyalty and him hurting our club financially. 

Scott was different as he was pumping £25m back into the club.

Funny how fans are. Remember Maynard etc 

You can be interested in how he gets on "one of our own" etc without considering the contract element.

Players have a Short career to essentially earn enough to cover their retirement which starts at 35-36 if not before. The contract issue is also double sided, how many players are now out of contract because their teams did want to extend, including some of the younger ones that city have just released. To work at becoming a professional footballer you pretty much have to focus on that over other skills that might make you employable outside of football..

I've  got no problem with a player putting their career first

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

You can be interested in how he gets on "one of our own" etc without considering the contract element.

Players have a Short career to essentially earn enough to cover their retirement which starts at 35-36 if not before. The contract issue is also double sided, how many players are now out of contract because their teams did want to extend, including some of the younger ones that city have just released. To work at becoming a professional footballer you pretty much have to focus on that over other skills that might make you employable outside of football..

I've  got no problem with a player putting their career first

Nor me….Did Zak Vyner get the same criticism?

30 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

We will obviously have our opinions on Conway the player, but the hardest bit to opine on is the mind of a pro footballer…because it’s just not like a normal job.  We try to get inside their heads and “if I were him I’d do this or that”, but it’s so hard because we don’t know what’s actually gone on, what’s been offered, who’s interested, etc.

But whilst he’s still a City player I will congratulate him on his call up to the Scotland Senior squad.

And until he shows signs of not putting it in on the pitch for City he will get my support at AG.  He’s not failed to do that during 23/24 having not signed the contract.  Where has the disloyalty come from?  What’s changed?  Apart from the time left on his current deal, nothing.  And all that does is change the pros and cons of a decision that needs to be made by LM and those above him.

Agreed.  Conway seems a level-headed young man who has had the possibility of full international recognition come to him relatively early in his career.  I’ve been saying to people for six months “He’ll go to Celtic or Rangers” and I think that’s becoming increasingly likely.  Good luck to him if he does go, assuming we get the financial recompense that the club deserves for developing him since he was eight, but it’s a gamble on his part.  I remember a very successful young manager we had 35 years ago who left us to take a job in Scotland because his ambition was to manage the Scottish international team…

• Like 2

Before we question Tommys loyalty let's remember how many of us are fed up with the clubs ambition, which appears to be mid table mediocrity.  If he can get a better deal away from us then why shouldn't he go for it.

• Like 1
  • Flames 2

25 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Agreed.  Conway seems a level-headed young man who has had the possibility of full international recognition come to him relatively early in his career.  I’ve been saying to people for six months “He’ll go to Celtic or Rangers” and I think that’s becoming increasingly likely.  Good luck to him if he does go, assuming we get the financial recompense that the club deserves for developing him since he was eight, but it’s a gamble on his part.  I remember a very successful young manager we had 35 years ago who left us to take a job in Scotland because his ambition was to manage the Scottish international team…

And if….Celtic or Rangers are interested then waiting til next summer for his contract to wind down is the worst financial scenario for us, as UEFA Compo is circa $360k!  Of course by next summer he may have interest above and beyond the SPL, and if in this country, that would undoubtedly be more more.  Neither compo scheme is likely to achieve the amount we’d get this summer if we sold him.

If he’s got no intention of signing, we should sell him this summer.

If he wants too much money (more than we are willing to offer), we should sell him this summer.

If there’s negotiating to do, we should negotiate!  Extending his time here is likely to achieve the best longer term financial result for City.

It was easier (and sensible) to pay Academy player Zak Vyner £x thousand more than try to recruit someone at least as good as him.  Similar applies to to Conway, with the added bonus that he has many more years of “sale-ability” in him.

• Like 7
  • Flames 2

Just now, Davefevs said:

And if….Celtic or Rangers are interested then waiting til next summer for his contract to wind down is the worst financial scenario for us, as UEFA Compo is circa $360k!  Of course by next summer he may have interest above and beyond the SPL, and if in this country, that would undoubtedly be more more.  Neither compo scheme is likely to achieve the amount we’d get this summer if we sold him.

If he wants too much money (more than we are willing to offer), we should sell him this summer.

If there’s negotiating to do, we should negotiate!  Extending his time here is likely to achieve the best longer term financial result for City.

It was easier (and sensible) to pay Academy player Zak Vyner £x thousand more than try to recruit someone at least as good as him.  Similar applies to to Conway, with the added bonus that he has many more years of “sale-ability” in him.

It’s a tough one this, if he wants say 20-25k a week, are we better off paying it with the view we would likely get more money for him in a transfer fee if he has a good 24-25 season. He may want more than that which i cant see us paying. 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Well said.

As long as he’s busting a gut then good luck to him if he wants to run his contract down. City should have put in a years option or offered a longer deal.

I struggle when fans still bang on about Fam when it’s cleared he downed tools after the January window.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have no inside knowledge - but trying to be as impartial as I can be, if I were him I would be in no rush to sign anything for the next 4 weeks. All the work he has put in to his career to date, to get himself a seat on a plane to a major tournament now means he is likely 1/2 goals or good games from changing his life financially forever, he has to roll the dice. 

if he rips up the euros then it’s a given we auction him this summer. If he doesn’t perform/get a chance, the situation is a bit more tricky. But I would imagine it would be a “final offer” from us post euros, and if no sign of movement then it’s an auction this summer - which could very well be to a championship club - ouch.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

I heard it was all down to Scott Murray.

Not sure Conway would ever have considered himself in any way Scottish, or really considered representing Scotland, but when Scott discovered he had a Scottish grandparent he informed the Scottish FA and it all took off from there.

That's what I read anyway.

I'd be very surprised if he didn't think of himself as English (and support the England national team) growing up in Taunton with English parents but now he'll be referred to as Scotsman Tommy Conway forever.

Honestly not something I could do, but good luck to him.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Henry said:

Well said.

As long as he’s busting a gut then good luck to him if he wants to run his contract down. City should have put in a years option or offered a longer deal.

I struggle when fans still bang on about Fam when it’s cleared he downed tools after the January window.

Just me that noticed a change in attitude from Tommy near the back end of the season? I'm not sure he's having Manning, he seemed a lot happier with Nige.

I like Tommy as a player, but I don't see him as a PL player at the moment, but a top end Championship side absolutely e.g. Leeds, Norwich.

Easily good enough for Celtic or Rangers, but then again, so am I...

2 hours ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Im sure Tinnion says in that interview that if Tommy goes we need to sign another striker. 

I actually recall him saying they are signing a striker even if he says. Different type of striker and, let's be honest, has Tommy "enjoyed" the role he's being asked to play under Manning?

59 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yep, with you on that Dave.

To replace him with a prospect as good ? Could be better value in increasing our offer, but there has to be an upper limit. 
I don't think there is even a question if Celtic combine for him , guaranteed trophies . Rangers ? I think we have more of a chance ( even though I have a soft spot for them ) I think they are still a bit away from really pushing Celtic . 

As @ciderwithtommy says , the call up makes things that little bit more difficult . There is no reason for him to rush on a decision, and a good cameo or two, maybe a goal and teams may be taking more notice. 

Also comes down to how he sees his role under Manning , he didn't look happy until our game changed slightly. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I heard it was all down to Scott Murray.

Not sure Conway would ever have considered himself in any way Scottish, or really considered representing Scotland, but when Scott discovered he had a Scottish grandparent he informed the Scottish FA and it all took off from there.

That's what I read anyway.

I'd be very surprised if he didn't think of himself as English (and support the England national team) growing up in Taunton with English parents but now he'll be referred to as Scotsman Tommy Conway forever.

Honestly not something I could do, but good luck to him.

If true, then I find this a bit bizarre. If both his parents are English too (or identify as such) then put simply: he isn't really Scottish, is he? 

Good luck to him, all the same.

Personally I think his head left Bristol City as soon as Scott went so I think the quicker we can do a deal for him this summer, the better.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Tim Monaghan said:

I have no problem with that, but, he CAN get around that by signing a contract and then if someone comes in for him then honour it. Pretty sure Darren Barnard did that not to screw us over.  
But we smash the club for not taking commercial opportunities, but don't mind it when a player leaves for a minimum fee (his doing).  The only reason this one for me is a little different for me, is the amount we've put into Tommy to get him to this stage. He's not a random player barely connected to the club. That's why I'm a little disappointed. 

Have you got any other examples of a player signing a contract and then being sold in the same window? Doesn't have to be City. I think pointing to one example of someone doing that 27 years ago probably just goes to show exactly why TC wouldn't trod that path - because it doesn't work like that. When we offered him a deal we gave him a fixed amount of years to prove himself and earn a new deal. He's done it and we want to give him one, he's got absolutely no moral obligation to sign it.

If he didn't progress at the end of his contract we'd have been just as happy to bin him off without so much as a 'here's a few quid to set you up post football', so why should he do something to ensure us a few quid at the end of the contract? 

• Like 2

Tony Cascarino comes to mind.

He told people he had an Irish grandmother.

Many caps later, he announced she was his adopted grandmother. He could have played for Scotland due to a biological grandparent.

UEFA had to change the rules whereby actual proof was needed iirc.

Posted (edited)

I believe his Dad has been Scotland ‘supporter’ since birth, going to games etc, because of his father. So Tommy has grown up with supporting Scotland in the household, as it were. 

Better than Sam Vokes (or was it Robson-Kanu?) who qualified for wales as his grandmother was born there whilst on a family holiday!!!!

Edited by petehinton
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, headhunter said:

I actually recall him saying they are signing a striker even if he says. Different type of striker and, let's be honest, has Tommy "enjoyed" the role he's being asked to play under Manning?

Tinnion’s answer on your pod, seemed to suggest a shifting of the type away from the “physical presence who can press and run the channels” to a “striker that can run and get in behind”.  He’s dropped the physical presence bit.

Id imagine trying to find a striker that can do it all is hard, let alone for the budget we might have, so I have no issues with a bit of a change in scope.  But it was interesting tweak nonetheless!

One where 2 plus 2 probably equals 5, but I think at this point in time it’s more likely Tommy departs this summer.  Hope I’m wrong.

Edited by Davefevs

21 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

If true, then I find this a bit bizarre. If both his parents are English too (or identify as such) then put simply: he isn't really Scottish, is he? 

As I have said before the issue is complicated by the fact that none of England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland are actually Independent nation states.  If you follow the FIFA guidance anyone born in any of the 'Home Nations' and a number of other territories including Guernsey and Bermuda, for relevance, can play for any of those national teams.  It is only a gentleman's agreement between the Home Nations that stopped say Ryan Giggs being tapped up to play for England.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Puckle_red said:

Just me that noticed a change in attitude from Tommy near the back end of the season? I'm not sure he's having Manning, he seemed a lot happier with Nige.

I like Tommy as a player, but I don't see him as a PL player at the moment, but a top end Championship side absolutely e.g. Leeds, Norwich.

Easily good enough for Celtic or Rangers, but then again, so am I...

1 hour ago, headhunter said:

I agree. He is being asked to play in a different way, which I think is going to be good for him in his career, however I don’t think he likes the Manning way of doing things and at to be frank I don’t really think that Mr Manning likes the Tommy way so much. 

Talk of different types of striker have been quite open since Mr Mannings arrival. I’m sure there is an argument for the clubs in the bag approach again but I just don’t see Tommy as being the managers cup of tea either. 

15 minutes ago, Hxj said:

As I have said before the issue is complicated by the fact that none of England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland are actually Independent nation states.  If you follow the FIFA guidance anyone born in any of the 'Home Nations' and a number of other territories including Guernsey and Bermuda, for relevance, can play for any of those national teams.  It is only a gentleman's agreement between the Home Nations that stopped say Ryan Giggs being tapped up to play for England.

I think Ryan Giggs did play for England did he not? Perhaps it was the Taffs doing the tapping?

45 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Personally I think his head left Bristol City as soon as Scott went so I think the quicker we can do a deal for him this summer, the better.

https://www.otib.co.uk/topic/225626-vyner-for-kenya/?do=findComment&comment=4884272

• Haha 3

Regardless of any contract situation I’m not sure why some people think we shouldn’t celebrate Tommy’s success.  He’s a Bristol City academy graduate who has got a full international call up to play in the Euros.  His success is our success and well worth celebrating.  

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 3
  • Robin 1
  • Facepalm 1

To me, not signing the contract offer after all this time shows a lack of respect and loyalty, and should be recognised as that.

If he doesn't want to sign new terms, after we have developed and launched his career, then sell him this summer.  You can't have players whose head's have turned and don't want to be here.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, phantom said:

I wouldn't go that far :laugh:

Was a bit of a joke but went over a couple of people's heads

2 hours ago, Rob k said:

It’s a tough one this, if he wants say 20-25k a week, are we better off paying it with the view we would likely get more money for him in a transfer fee if he has a good 24-25 season. He may want more than that which i cant see us paying. 

I suppose the question is how likely is he to have a good season? Does our way of playing since Manning came in make it more or less likely? Does he have the ability (or desire even) to adapt?

I like Conway but I wouldn't be disappointed if he left for a half decent fee this summer and someone came in that was recruited for the style we want to play.

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

As someone with mixed heritage I consider myself English and I'm even probably country over club, but I take pride in my ancestry and non-English roots too

If I was nowhere near good enough to play for England but my Grandmother's country wanted me I'd take it in a heartbeat. I've already considered dual-citizenship since Brexit but I think it would affect some of my work so not an option at this time.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TinMan's left peg said:

Regardless of any contract situation I’m not sure why some people think we shouldn’t celebrate Tommy’s success.  He’s a Bristol City academy graduate who has got a full international call up to play in the Euros.  His success is our success and well worth celebrating.  

👍🏿 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, REDOXO said:

I think Ryan Giggs did play for England did he not? Perhaps it was the Taffs doing the tapping?

Ryan Giggs played for England Schoolboys…because he went to school in England.

3 hours ago, marmite said:

Before we question Tommys loyalty let's remember how many of us are fed up with the clubs ambition, which appears to be mid table mediocrity.  If he can get a better deal away from us then why shouldn't he go for it.

Exactly why we should fight to keep him , to show to Tommy and others , our ambition is real and not just words

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

To me, not signing the contract offer after all this time shows a lack of respect and loyalty, and should be recognised as that.

If he doesn't want to sign new terms, after we have developed and launched his career, then sell him this summer.  You can't have players whose head's have turned and don't want to be here.

Or , he , or his representatives are simply trying to negotiate the best deal possible.

Unless you know him personally, the rest of your statement is conjecture.

Lets wait and see

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 38MC said:

Have you got any other examples of a player signing a contract and then being sold in the same window?

Wasn’t it Darren Barnard, who was out of contract, who signed a new deal in the full knowledge that he was going to leave anyway, just so that we would get the fee?  He then left a few weeks later.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

Or , he , or his representatives are simply trying to negotiate the best deal possible.

Unless you know him personally, the rest of your statement is conjecture.

Lets wait and see

Yep.

This is where most of us are guilty of hypothesising about what he wants or what he’s been offered or who is interested (or not) to create our “argument”.

Most of us (me inc) will have no idea.  It doesn’t stop us, and it’s a forum, so why not.

All I can say is I hope they come to a position where Tommy signs.  I don’t want him to leave.  I think he’s good.  I think he’s only gonna get better.  I think he will be a key part in taking us forward if we are to progress up the table.  If he does leave, then I hope it’s for the best money we can get.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tim Monaghan said:

I have no problem with that, but, he CAN get around that by signing a contract and then if someone comes in for him then honour it. Pretty sure Darren Barnard did that not to screw us over.  
But we smash the club for not taking commercial opportunities, but don't mind it when a player leaves for a minimum fee (his doing).  The only reason this one for me is a little different for me, is the amount we've put into Tommy to get him to this stage. He's not a random player barely connected to the club. That's why I'm a little disappointed. 

Why would he? We're looking at it as club supporters wanting the best for our club, whereas he is merely an employee.

Removing the football element, if you can make yourself attractive to another employer that you want to work for by having a skill set they want and making it easier for you to transition over to them by having a shorter notice period, then you would do it without a second thought. Loyalty counts for nothing in business, especially in football. 

I think it's a bit naive in this day and world for a player to sign a new contract with a club simply for the purposes of maximising that club's asset whilst at the same time making him less attractive as a commercial proposition to the interested party, especially if there is a chunky signing on fee on offer by having no contract (or a rapidly diminishing contract term in place).

Now if he were to refuse to play whilst still in contract then that would be a very different topic.

• Like 7
  • Flames 2