IGNORED

Tommy Conway Baby

REDOXO

Just now, HengroveReds said:

Guess it’s all dependent on replacements and who they can get in.  Big character and big boots to fill, scored some important goals for us. 

Feels like one too many, all things weighed up. I got the prior 3 years but there comes a time to twist, a time to stick. A time to trade, a time to build.

Just now, GrahamC said:

Then we keep a demotivated player who wants to be elsewhere & decreases in value every day.

I like Tommy a lot but he doesn’t want to play for us anymore.

Sell him & find someone who does.

I'm conflicted on it, I noticed e.g. Birmingham held firm on Jordan James in January despite interest from some clubs here and eventual Europa League winners Atalanta. Middlesbrough have also stated no key sales this summer.

Otoh £5-8m is reinvestable and the final year of deal makes a difference ie is a push factor. If sold post June 30th that uplift to headroom or offsetting of losses will be in play until end of 2026-27.

This summer theoretically.

The experience of King and Weimann gone.

The still relevant talent of James as well as his vast experience.

Conway, sold?

Yep another Championship season it is. Summer 2025 still in the Championship. A solid base but...

Bird in is good and age wise can still grow along with a lot of players 25 and under. 

Don't think we will be inspired this summer.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Conway, sold?

Yep another Championship season it is. Summer 2025 still in the Championship. A solid base but...

Bird in is good and age wise can still grow along with a lot of players 25 and under. 

At least joe williams is staying… 

• Like 1

‘Although, given the expected sentiment within the fanbase, and the uncomfortable environment that could cause’ 

Why does JP expect an uncomfortable environment for Tommy if he doesn’t sign?  Happens all of the time now and if the club decide to keep him then so be it.  As long as he gives 100% I don’t see it being an issue for most.   Moot point as he will most probably go but he may not…….

Edited by lenred
  • Like 2

He won’t get a game in the Prem so he’s probably interesting in moving to Rangers or Celtic, since he’s now “Scottish” (although he forgot this fact when making his Euros predictions a few weeks ago)

37 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Thank god for that, fully in agreement with the club on this. 

Completely.

18 minutes ago, TammyAB said:

Well it’s not like losing Semenyo, Brownhill, Scott or Webster

Or Bobby 

23 minutes ago, TammyAB said:

Well it’s not like losing Semenyo, Brownhill, Scott or Webster

IMO.

On one level it is worse than some as we still had FFP to consider as a risk factor or the sell x to spend bigger for trading.

We appear not to be doing the trading and FFP has been sorted so...

16 minutes ago, TammyAB said:

He won’t get a game in the Prem so he’s probably interesting in moving to Rangers or Celtic, since he’s now “Scottish” (although he forgot this fact when making his Euros predictions a few weeks ago)

You don’t know.  Should he sign and get his chance and takes it…wouldn’t be the first player to go to a club as a bit of a project / future player and achieve ahead of time.

5 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

"A decision partly driven by Steve Lansdown"

Given Steve is still obviously a key decision-maker and owns 99% of the club,it would really be nice if he could actually show his face at some point. 

I’d rather he didn’t, but agree with your sentiments. 😉

• Like 1

I thought we wanted Twine to feed Conway next season? 👀

I did say after the FBC pod that Tinnion sounded a bit resigned to Conway not signing a contract, and the no9 search pivoting away from the “physical presence” to someone who can “run and get in behind to stretch the pitch” (a replacement for Conway).  I just hope he’s intending to tell Liam Manning at some point!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Conway, sold?

Obviously losing three experienced midfielders is a concern for some but none of will know how strong (or otherwise) the squad will be until the pre season starts.

My views on Conway are well known and it wouldn’t matter one bit to me if he got transferred. Seriously overrated in my view.

• Facepalm 1

This has been on the cards for a while now and who can blame him. He will score goals wherever he goes IMO and should only improve with experience, better coaching and better service. Why stagnate as part of the Lansdowns’ inertia? And it only serves to confirm SL calls the shots, regardless of what Tinnion or his boy has to say.

• Like 6

I don’t think Tommy is a bad lad and he’s come across as a great character pretty much since he’s been given an opportunity and a relatable figure in the club. But something has gone wrong in the past 6 months, whether that’s come from an ego developing when scoring against European Champions on two occasions or being given terrible agent advice.

I’m leaning towards the latter with how well he’s spoken in various interviews 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Henry said:

Thanks for that Ian. I assumed we were going to gift him to another team instead.

The person who has been saying for weeks he’d sign a new contract..

I wouldn’t believe everything you are told, if I was him.

He’s being played like a fiddle.

• Like 2

I don't think Conway is PL ready fwiw. Does anyone?

Semenyo and Scott plus varied  others who went before he isn't, feels like a move too soon from a footballing perspective for him IMO.

20 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Obviously losing three experienced midfielders is a concern for some but none of will know how strong (or otherwise) the squad will be until the pre season starts.

My views on Conway are well known and it wouldn’t matter one bit to me if he got transferred. Seriously overrated in my view.

Which 3 midfielders do you mean.

Pre-season?? I think it'll be later than that, we may end up scrambling in July and August. 

James and King are the midfielders. Weimann was such a good pro and so versatile but a front line midfielder he isn't.

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I did say after the FBC pod that Tinnion sounded a bit resigned to Conway not signing a contract, and the no9 search pivoting away from the “physical presence” to someone who can “run and get in behind to stretch the pitch” (a replacement for Conway).  I just hope he’s intending to tell Liam Manning at some point!

Reckon we are after both if TC goes.

Physical mobile type as a different option & replacement for our most effective striker.

Think we are a fair way down the road on the first of these, hence the 3 targets, 2 of whom play abroad comment.

The replacement for Conway is a newer development but realistically the club has been anticipating this since the season ended.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Henry said:

Thanks for that Ian. I assumed we were going to gift him to another team instead.

FFS trying to ITK point score against Piercy of all people. Hes officially gone too far 🤣🤣🤣

• Robin 3

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Part of me thinks we've done 3 years of hard graft in respect of the finances so keep and go for it a little.

Take chances on compensation next summer or even a significant rise to the playoffs. Of course there are strong arguments to sell as well, primarily financial.

Manning's had long enough to find a way to play that gets a return from Conway

I like him, but it isn't working now for whatever reason so I'd rather we take the money and get someone in that "fits" the system - and then we judge Manning on it

Just now, MarcusX said:

Manning's had long enough to find a way to play that gets a return from Conway

I like him, but it isn't working now for whatever reason so I'd rather we take the money and get someone in that "fits" the system - and then we judge Manning on it

My concern when we made the change was that we would get a manager/Head Coach in who would look to rip it up a bit.

Not blaming him entirely by any stretch but I'm struggling to get aligned with and believe in the current plan, whatever it is. Twine to feed Conway sounds good.

Twine and a 7, when you play a back 3 with 2 10s as the support act to the central striker? Not so much, not least when you have 4 who can play in wing type positions on the books.

18 minutes ago, Charlie BCFC said:

I don’t think Tommy is a bad lad and he’s come across as a great character pretty much since he’s been given an opportunity and a relatable figure in the club. But something has gone wrong in the past 6 months, whether that’s come from an ego developing when scoring against European Champions on two occasions or being given terrible agent advice.

Perhaps it all leads back to Nigel Pearson's departure, especially the somewhat sordid nature of it.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

18 minutes ago, Charlie BCFC said:

I wouldn't have thought so! He doesn't strike me as that superficial. More likely because he doesn't feel settled in the new setup, not fitting in the team etc

• Like 1

Just now, PHILINFRANCE said:

Perhaps it all leads back to Nigel Pearson's departure, especially the somewhat sordid nature of it.

Or his house mate going from £4k a week to £40k a week?

I wonder which it could be.

• Like 6
  • Flames 1

Just now, exAtyeoMax said:

a bit of both!

Yeah. Look, NP was still here when TC was offered a new contract/extension, so I'm pretty sure his mind was made up on this z long time ago.

If LM came in an built the team around him and he had a great season, he'd still not be signing but we'd be get more money for him.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Interesting Tweet, dunno how much weight it carries.

Have heard similar stories from those working at club dinners etc. All rumours of course but there does seem to be a pattern.

Best of luck to the kid, the fact the majority of the responses are of the "not fussed", gives you sufficient insight as to the opinions of those who watch him regularly.  

How many goals were scored in 23/24 minus penalties by him?

• Like 1

Doesn't suit LM's way of playing and has been getting less and less chances in front of goal. He isn't the guy to link up play (on his own) at the top of the pitch but losing a natural born finisher will be tough but we do still have Wells for that type of striker. 

If he wants to move on then that's his choice. He'll have to hope there is someone willing to pay a decent fee, certainly don't think he's overrated like some have said on social media. Just don't think we play a way that suits him and I don't think many teams play that way either anymore with all these pep-clones.

He's a good enough finisher to play at the highest level, his overall game needs to improve for sure.

Don't think many strikers will score bucketloads with the way we play under Manning so good luck to him if he gets his move and hope we sign some half decent replacements.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Interesting Tweet, dunno how much weight it carries.

Isn’t it ironic how these tweets always come out when something ‘negative’ has been said about the player in the press….

• Like 6
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 1

35 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Or his house mate going from £4k a week to £40k a week?

I wonder which it could be.

It's a tricky one isn't it, especially as we'd have been desperate for him to sign a deal last summer too.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, ProfitInMyPocket said:

Doesn't suit LM's way of playing and has been getting less and less chances in front of goal. He isn't the guy to link up play (on his own) at the top of the pitch but losing a natural born finisher will be tough but we do still have Wells for that type of striker. 

If he wants to move on then that's his choice. He'll have to hope there is someone willing to pay a decent fee, certainly don't think he's overrated like some have said on social media. Just don't think we play a way that suits him and I don't think many teams play that way either anymore with all these pep-clones.

He's a good enough finisher to play at the highest level, his overall game needs to improve for sure.

Don't think many strikers will score bucketloads with the way we play under Manning so good luck to him if he gets his move and hope we sign some half decent replacements.

Don’t play a way that suits him and he’s a decent finisher?

Take his penalty’s out and his record last season wasn’t that good.He should have scored more with the chances he had. 

Hope I’m proved wrong but I don’t think he’s as good as he thinks he is. Apparently City will be looking for £5 Million with add ons. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Isn’t it ironic how these tweets always come out when something ‘negative’ has been said about the player in the press….

I'm not sure it's ironic but predictable. There are people who's life seems to be to lambast people they don't personally know. Sad ba**ards that they are. 

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, marksy said:

Take his penalty’s out and his record last season wasn’t that good.He should have scored more with the chances he had. 

Hope I’m proved wrong but I don’t think he’s as good as he thinks he is. Apparently City will be looking for £5 Million with add ons. 

No one will pay 5 million for him with only a short time left on his contract 

Lucky to get 1.5 million 

He’s not actually a proven striker just a young lad who’s done ok 

Lot better than him about 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Hmmm 1

55 minutes ago, ProfitInMyPocket said:

32 minutes ago, marksy said:

5 Goals and 1 Assist excluding Penalty Goals plus the West Ham Goals..

5 Penalties.

2022-23, 9 Goals, 3 Assists none of which Penalties.

Despite two medium or above injury layoffs? I'd say his record stands up to scrutiny tbh. Age, room for growth. Plenty to improve on of course.

• Like 2

• Admin
2 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

A little bit of the usual click bait from the local press out of season, I expect we will get the usual false stories about signings on and off for a couple of weeks now whilst local press try to generate interest to make up for a lack of reports etc for people to read

Let's be honest that can't be one of us that didn't expect his name to appear in the press over the summer

37 minutes ago, Tim Monaghan said:

Bye then Tommy 👋 

Let’s hope he has a good tournament to boost his price, as we still hold some of the cards at present. 

From a fans point of view, I’m disappointed in him massively. If he thinks he’s that good, then prove it in the championship with the club that shaped you.  Zero loyalty.

Head says, being an ex footballer myself, you have to take the money as careers can be short. 

Overall, I think seeing Semenyo and Scott moving on has got in his head, but FairPlay to him for believing in his own ability. 

There's not one of us that would turn down a potentially life changing amount of money coming our way that would say no to a move of clubs

It's the nature of the sport, apart from one or two we are all selling clubs at some degree

3 minutes ago, marksy said:

I would personally be very surprised to see him go for that much, though how he does for Scotland in the next two weeks could potentially create a bidding war into silly prices

3 minutes ago, Dolman Block B said:

Lucky to get 1.5 million 

Spot on

My feelings too, he won't be a player leaving that will cause me to lose sleep

• Like 1

It's obvious that since his best mate left, and text's him regularly about all the dosh he is pouring into his Bournemouth bank account, that TC's head has been turned?   If he wants to leave the club that has nurtured his career since he was 7, and not repay just a little of what they have added to his career, and so seemingly have no wish    to  continue to wear the  City shirt, then let him go to the highest bidder..  I hope he has a fantastic Euro's, so we can get the maximum fee for him, and  so we can use that money to then recruit someone who WANTS to play for us?

Edited by maxjak
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, phantom said:

A little bit of the usual click bait from the local press out of season, I expect we will get the usual false stories about signings on and off for a couple of weeks now whilst local press try to generate interest to make up for a lack of reports etc for people to read

Let's be honest that can't be one of us that didn't expect his name to appear in the press over the summer

There's not one of us that would turn down a potentially life changing amount of money coming our way that would say no to a move of clubs

It's the nature of the sport, apart from one or two we are all selling clubs at some degree

I would personally be very surprised to see him go for that much, though how he does for Scotland in the next two weeks could potentially create a bidding war into silly prices

Spot on

My feelings too, he won't be a player leaving that will cause me to lose sleep

I think the Post of old & more general faceless national journos would definitely fit your first point, but certainly not the current team at the Post. The most legitimate and quality operators we’ve had at a local level imo. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, marksy said:

Played a lot better with Wells up front alongside him. Can't deny that. Doesn't get that opportunity under Manning.

I think he maybe could have got another couple goals last season with the chances he missed last year. Maybe four or five. All strikers miss chances though, he certainly could have been better utilised as I believe he's a better finisher than most strikers we've had in recent years. But that's just my opinion.

He probably does think he is better than he is but he's a natural goal scorer, you can see that from the quality of his goals he scores. He has to have that confidence in himself if he wants to further his career. 

Understand why people are now piling on him because he sees his future elsewhere but I won't rag on him as all our strikers have struggled to score. 

I think he does well with better support from midfield or a strike partner. 

4 minutes ago, Dolman Block B said:

Lucky to get 1.5 million 

I thought about £2 Million but was told City value him at £5 by someone who works at the club. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dolman Block B said:

Lucky to get 1.5 million 

I partly agree with some of this, the fee may or may not be excessively ambitious.

Lot better about and indeed for the age and room for growth?

Well yes in world football of course but how much would they cost, what kind of levels would they he playing at, aspiring too?

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

5 Goals and 1 Assist excluding penalty goals plus the West Ham goals..

5 Penalties.

2022-23, 10 Goals, 2 Assists none of which Penalties.

Despite two medium or above injury layoffs? I'd say his record stands up to scrutiny tbh. Age, room for growth. Plenty to improve on of course.

Room for improvement?  Absolutely. Thing is, I’ve seen some good strikers play for City over the years and I don’t think Conway is one of them. 

He obviously thinks he’s up for it and he’s definitely had an agent in his ear. 

If he steps up and don’t improve then this move might be good for his bank account but not for his career. Personally I can’t see him doing much at a higher level. 

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

5 Goals and 1 Assist excluding penalty goals plus the West Ham Goals..

5 Penalties.

2022-23, 10 Goals, 2 Assists none of which Penalties.

2022-23 - first full season in the division as a 20 year old getting double figures in the Championship, not to be sniffed at. 

Name many other players 21 or under in this division scoring double figures and they're all good players who I wouldn't mind wearing our shirt.

Of course there's room for scrutiny and development like every player whatever age they are but think he's getting a bit more stick than usual because hes a youth product who wants to move on.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ProfitInMyPocket said:

2022-23 - first full season in the division as a 20 year old getting double figures in the Championship, not to be sniffed at. 

Name many other players 21 or under in this division scoring double figures and they're all good players who I wouldn't mind wearing our shirt.

Of course there's room for scrutiny and development like every player whatever age they are but think he's getting a bit more stick than usual because hes a youth product who wants to move on.

I do tend to agree, think he gets some unfair stick or dismissed a bit easily by some in terms of ease of replacement.

That is a good point, which players age 22 or under in the Championship breaking in properly age 20 have scored 10 or more goals in successive Championship seasons.

Past performance is no guarantee of future return of course, injury, luck, attitude, lifestyle whatever can really impact a young talent but.. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Can Conway not feed himself yet? He's 21 now FFS.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Given Steve is still obviously a key decision-maker and owns 99% of the club,it would really be nice if he could actually show his face at some point. 

#nestegg 

IMG_8547.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

He just wants his money back however possible, but thank you lord Lansdown for your charitable donations to our fine football club (do not fact check him giving us all his money for free with no financial gain or equilibrium in mind)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, marksy said:

I thought about £2 Million but was told City value him at £5 by someone who works at the club. 

If a young up and coming international striker was up for sale at one of our fellow Championship clubs 5 million quid wouldn’t seem excessive.

I would say that TC is on a par with Semenyo whilst being different types of player. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Not disappointed at all, majorly overrated and doesn’t suit the way we want to play. Take the cash and reinvest. 8 years old he joined us, disappointing that players don’t remember the journey and sign at least a 12 month extension with a reasonable release clause. That’s football. 

5 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

If a young up and coming international striker was up for sale at one of our fellow Championship clubs 5 million quid wouldn’t seem excessive.

I would say that TC is on a par with Semenyo whilst being different types of player. 

Semenyo is a level or two above and i am convinced he will get a Spurs/Villa type move before Alex Scott. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Major Isewater said:

I'd say that's extremely generous to TC.

Even when Semenyo wasn't producing there was something very raw that was clear to see.

TC when he first came through was very unconvincing in many areas and at times was falling over taking shots even without much pressure on him.

Then he had a blistering start to the season in 22/23 before tailing off a bit but showed enough to justify his place in the side.

This season he's rarely shown such promise. Some of that will be down to the system and he is still young so I wouldn't be writing him off, but he's not currently showing the promise that Semenyo was.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I do tend to agree, think he gets some unfair stick or dismissed a bit easily by some in terms of ease of replacement.

That is a good point, which players age 22 or under in the Championship breaking in properly age 20 have scored 10 or more goals in successive Championship seasons.

Past performance is no guarantee of future return of course, injury, luck, attitude, lifestyle whatever can really impact a young talent but.. 

Similar to Bell with how our fans look at them and perceive them. Get a lot more stick than other players do, but they're good enough to play at this level and have lots of time to improve.

They're not world beaters but they have some real good qualities that I like in forward players.

I just don't think the young forwards will improve under Manning and his style. Too methodical and passive when these two (Bell and Conway) are better when playing with less time on the ball and acting on instinct. 

There aren't many young players in this division who get those types of numbers. And if there are, they aren't long for this division. They'll get a chance higher. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Not disappointed at all, majorly overrated and doesn’t suit the way we want to play. Take the cash and reinvest. 8 years old he joined us, disappointing that players don’t remember the journey and sign at least a 12 month extension with a reasonable release clause. That’s football. 

Semenyo is a level or two above and i am convinced he will get a Spurs/Villa type move before Alex Scott. 

Agree, semenyo had that X factor which Conway really doesn’t have.  The pace and power that lad has set him apart.

This is two attributes Conway does not have.  Along with strength as he is all too often bullied off of the ball.

one thing I don’t doubt though is Tommys quality infront of goal, however the fact his finishing is of a very high standard and he only scored 5 if you take away penalties it tells a story of not suiting the style we play.

5 minutes ago, ProfitInMyPocket said:

Similar to Bell with how our fans look at them and perceive them. Get a lot more stick than other players do, but they're good enough to play at this level and have lots of time to improve.

They're not world beaters but they have some real good qualities that I like in forward players.

I just don't think the young forwards will improve under Manning and his style. Too methodical and passive when these two (Bell and Conway) are better when playing with less time on the ball and acting on instinct. 

There aren't many young players in this division who get those types of numbers. And if there are, they aren't long for this division. They'll get a chance higher. 

I don't think Conway is ready for the leap yet but his numbers do stand out all things considered- age etc. Of course assists is the other side but I wonder if a new contract and another year or 2 here to really hone his trade in a steadily or what was steadily improving side might have worked for all and make the higher move if applicable age 23, 24.

I forgot to add to my list, poor career choices can also impact development. In the case of e.g. Maynard I'd say injury, attitude and career choices impacted him to varying levels.

Writing was on the wall as tinnion hadn’t tweeted anything about him staying ala Williams. 

disappointed mainly as I don’t think he has outgrown us as yet, and our wage bill should be in line with what his market value currently is. I believe he will develop into a solid prem / top champ CF in a few years, but it’s underwhelming/frustrating to lose a player who has links to us, when his options outside of us seem limited. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, transfer reader said:

he's not currently showing the promise that Semenyo was

I well remember the ‘ Semenyo’s not a striker ‘ thread . Antoine wasn’t the finished article and neither is TC. What  any club will be looking at is potential growth and young Tommy Jock MacConway has loads. He scores goals and that is what every team needs. We mustn’t forget that he was injured this season but still managed double figures . 
I back him to push on if he is willing to learn. 

• Like 6

53 minutes ago, marksy said:

Price matching Aldi then!

2 hours ago, Charlie BCFC said:

What went wrong was us not realising we were employing a head coach that didn't fit with the players we have/had and his style not being the style we were looking for. 

We are now having to make the most of it by going all in on Manning. 

If you're Tommy Conway you're not going to want to stay and play for a manager that doesn't really see you as part of his system. 

Why has Tommy been given terrible advice? If we were neutral we'd say that Tommy has done the exact right thing for Tommy Conway. He's now off to the Euros where he has a chance to put himself in the shop window. I'd say he's actually recieved excellent advice based on that. 

We can't sit here and say "Tommy has been badly advised" just because we desire him to sign a new contract with us. 

I think most rational people can see why Tommy won't sign a new contract.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 2
  • Facepalm 1