IGNORED

Tommy Conway Baby

REDOXO

1 hour ago, Charlie BCFC said:

I think he could do well at a team at the top end of the division. I also think Celtic would be a good place for him in regards to goals, but a Wolves and Fulham type? He doesn’t come near their starting 11s

You could stick a scarecrow inside the penalty area at the start of each half and it would get a dozen goals a season for Celtic

4 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

What went wrong was us not realising we were employing a head coach that didn't fit with the players we have/had and his style not being the style we were looking for. 

We are now having to make the most of it by going all in on Manning. 

If you're Tommy Conway you're not going to want to stay and play for a manager that doesn't really see you as part of his system. 

Why has Tommy been given terrible advice? If we were neutral we'd say that Tommy has done the exact right thing for Tommy Conway. He's now off to the Euros where he has a chance to put himself in the shop window. I'd say he's actually recieved excellent advice based on that. 

We can't sit here and say "Tommy has been badly advised" just because we desire him to sign a new contract with us. 

I think most rational people can see why Tommy won't sign a new contract.

Firstly, I'm pretty sure that Tommy has been a pretty regular starter for Manning ( stand to be corrected if I've got that wrong) - hardly the actions of a head coach that doesn't see him as art of the system. Or perhaps you are predicting the future and anticipating that the head coach doesn't see as part of his system a player who seems to be making it pretty clear that he doesn't want to be here anymore.

As for employing a head coach that didn't fit with the players, Tommy better hope that whatever club he moves to doesn't have a change of manager who want to play a different style than Tommy likes. 

• Like 1

On 06/06/2024 at 12:48, 2015 said:

So in 80 games he's scored 15 non penalty goals which is around 1 goal every 5 games from open play. That's not the best and a far cry from Scotland strikers of the very distant past now.

Don't get me wrong he's ok, but he isn't anywhere near what some on OTIB make him out to be when compared to plenty of other strikers i've seen down at City over the years. 

I think it's best for both he doesn't sign a new contract.

I'd take his stats with a pinch of salt to be honest. When he had Semenyo supplying him (up until Jan '23) the latter had had assisted Conway twice in that six month period, with Nakhi assisting him three times.

14 starts, 6 Goals, 3 Assists where we were managing his comeback from his Hamstring problems under NP and Rennie.

image.png.91f3e388f91ffa644833af9e62f56010.png

When we lost Semenyo, we lost the only real wing option we had with genuine pace that allowed us to get in behind and giving us variety. It's an issue, for me, we still have.

Added to which he then still managed to score a further 3 in 5 (starts) when back from his further injury in Feb-March.

image.png.4ce0abb308a255184d15189876ca0005.png

So from a starting berth, his record - prior to this season, is 19 starts, 9 Goals, 3 Assists. So with the right players, namely when starting - the numbers back him.

I simply don't think he suits Manning's system, personally. The more static (re-group, passing lane closure) Manning approach isnt as suited to him as NP's pressing tactic - and thats why he's looking to move. I don't see it as his head being turned, we've seen him get fustrated at teamates multiple times last season.

Wouldnt shock me to see someone like Sheffield United come in for him if they resolve their ownership situation with Brereton's loan finishing, and McBurnie and Jebbison looking like to leave on frees. Meaning their only options would be Osula (unproven), Brewster (whose been a poor signing), and Archer as their options.

image.png

Edited by Fuber

I do like Tommy and wish him all the best but I think he’s rated slightly higher than what he actually is currently, perhaps because he’s a homegrown player we rave about him more. Cash in and bring in a proven championship striker. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Fuber said:

I simply don't think he suits Manning's system, personally. The more static (re-group, passing lane closure) Manning approach isnt as suited to him as NP's pressing tactic - and thats why he's looking to move. 

An interesting theory given there was a contract offer on the table for him under NP, which he told the club he wasn't going to sign, pre-dating Manning's arrival by several months. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Reminds me of Phil Jevons who was a league one player. Will end up struggling on the bench in PL, good luck to him but I cannot see him playing PL football yet. Best stay with us. 

Stay with us on £15-20k a week or be a Premier League bench player on £30-40k per week. I know what I would do! 

3 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

An interesting theory given there was a contract offer on the table for him under NP, which he told the club he wasn't going to sign, pre-dating Manning's arrival by several months. 

As others have said, he saw his mate get a big move, coupled with our lack ambition so makes complete sense for him & who can blame him. Trouble is were getting a bit of a reputation now but not for the right reasons ie. progression of the football 

A lot of people talk about us having some money to spend...we still havent spent the money we got for Scott and semenyo !

(I know it's not as black and white as that but you get my point )

To counter my own point above...if we can replace him with a couple of decent players then it might suit all parties well given his contract situation. 

11 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Stay with us on £15-20k a week or be a Premier League bench player on £30-40k per week. I know what I would do! 

Some other clubs are tougher with it. Albeit it varies.

Birmingham in January with Jordan James, and Middlesbrough have proclaimed they are selling no key players this summer. Albeit they have about 3 years left on average in their case!

Plymouth perhaps will only sell Whittaker for big money but again 3 years left, good financial position.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

24 minutes ago, TommyD68 said:

I do like Tommy and wish him all the best but I think he’s rated slightly higher than what he actually is currently, perhaps because he’s a homegrown player we rave about him more. Cash in and bring in a proven championship striker. 

I’m OK with TC going if I’m honest…..as many have said, given what we saw last season, he doesn’t fit the way Manning wants us to play..

Would look to re-invest the money in someone like Miovski from Aberdeen

9 minutes ago, Loosey Boy said:

Get the impression he could be quite pricy.

What is a goal in the Championship vs SPL worth. Albeit for a non Old Firm club.

Turns 25 this summer, in theory entering peak year range for his position, on the other hand is he likely to propel us.

46 minutes ago, Fuber said:

I'd take his stats with a pinch of salt to be honest. When he had Semenyo supplying him (up until Jan '23) the latter had had assisted Conway twice in that six month period, with Nakhi assisting him three times.

14 starts, 6 Goals, 3 Assists where we were managing his comeback from his Hamstring problems under NP and Rennie.

image.png.91f3e388f91ffa644833af9e62f56010.png

When we lost Semenyo, we lost the only real wing option we had with genuine pace that allowed us to get in behind and giving us variety. It's an issue, for me, we still have.

Added to which he then still managed to score a further 3 in 5 (starts) when back from his further injury in Feb-March.

image.png.4ce0abb308a255184d15189876ca0005.png

So from a starting berth, his record - prior to this season, is 19 starts, 9 Goals, 3 Assists. So with the right players, namely when starting - the numbers back him.

I simply don't think he suits Manning's system, personally. The more static (re-group, passing lane closure) Manning approach isnt as suited to him as NP's pressing tactic - and thats why he's looking to move. I don't see it as his head being turned, we've seen him get fustrated at teamates multiple times last season.

Wouldnt shock me to see someone like Sheffield United come in for him if they resolve their ownership situation with Brereton's loan finishing, and McBurnie and Jebbison looking like to leave on frees. Meaning their only options would be Osula (unproven), Brewster (whose been a poor signing), and Archer as their options.

image.png

100% Fuber.  He is less suited to the predominant style we saw under Manning last season.

FWIW I thought the forward three we played under Nige THIS season had issues too.  Semenyo cannot be replaced by Sam Bell.

28 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

You can suit a managers system or not suit it…and still want to seek opportunities elsewhere!

Both managers wanted to extend his contract…he’s turned both down.  But my personal view is he’d be more attractive to other clubs playing in a Pearson team…and probably worth more too.

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Get the impression he could be quite pricy.

What is a goal in the Championship vs SPL worth. Albeit for a non Old Firm club.

Turns 25 this summer, in theory entering peak year range for his position, on the other hand is he likely to propel us.

If we could get him for the same money we sell TC for, think it would be a good outcome.

Right age…..knows where the net is…..appreciate what you say re goals in SPL vs Championship though - very much an unknown.

Either way, now that it sounds like we’ve made the decision to sell, really hope we now instigate “Plan B” ‘cos I’m sure we will be after two CFs now.

41 minutes ago, Loosey Boy said:

I’m OK with TC going if I’m honest…..as many have said, given what we saw last season, he doesn’t fit the way Manning wants us to play..

Sorry pal but apart from some no mark at Aberdeen who does fit the way manning wants to play?
he’s not fukken guardiola. At his level he needs to get the team playing in a way that suits his players. 

btw 

team a : plays a high line aggressive, front foot, exciting, possession based football. 

team b: plays an exciting, front foot, aggressive, high line football based on possession

which one wins?

the one with the biggest bullshit?

Edited by stortfordred
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Plus Ashton is now a PL CEO. Personally had no issue with him, wasn’t unprofessional. 

I would agree that his public persona, whilst smarmy (in my opinion, portrayed a professional image, I suspect that a professional, in depth behind the scenes audit may well have painted a different picture.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Loosey Boy said:

I'm not convinced Manning knows how he wants to play, at least as much as using what he has inherited here. 
Drogba would have struggled to do any better than Conway with the same service, and he was a little better at the lone strikers role.
We had a spell where TC was so isolated he might as well have not been there, told not to come deep (a big part of his game ) I thought it was poor management TBH. Then after a while Manning tweaked it a little , the pressing came back as he was involved again. 
I'm not sure what to expect next year if I'm honest.

I think there is a very good player there. Good debut season ,( I see he missed a run of games but I can't remember why ) playing alongside Nahki I was really looking forward to this year. Injury to himself ( and Wells ) meant this was a stop start season . A full year and I'm sure he would have been around the 20 goal mark. 
I wouldn't be surprised if Bournemouth came in again, he will be (relatively) cheap and the sort of price range that is worth a punt for a lower Prem side. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Assume this mean we bring in two new forwards then as we were already after a number 9.

I wonder if Al Hamadi will get much game time in the premier league. Maybe a season long loan could be an option.

Edit: this is an assumption based on rumoured previous interest.

Edited by formerly known as ivan

16 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Assume this mean we bring in two new forwards then as we were already after a number 9.

I wonder if Al Hamadi will get much game time in the premier league. Maybe a season long loan could be an option.

Could we bring in one striker and then give someone like SPH a go as another striker?

32 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I'm not convinced Manning knows how he wants to play, at least as much as using what he has inherited here. 
Drogba would have struggled to do any better than Conway with the same service, and he was a little better at the lone strikers role.
We had a spell where TC was so isolated he might as well have not been there, told not to come deep (a big part of his game ) I thought it was poor management TBH. Then after a while Manning tweaked it a little , the pressing came back as he was involved again. 
I'm not sure what to expect next year if I'm honest.

I think there is a very good player there. Good debut season ,( I see he missed a run of games but I can't remember why ) playing alongside Nahki I was really looking forward to this year. Injury to himself ( and Wells ) meant this was a stop start season . A full year and I'm sure he would have been around the 20 goal mark. 
I wouldn't be surprised if Bournemouth came in again, he will be (relatively) cheap and the sort of price range that is worth a punt for a lower Prem side. 

Agree on most of this, just fairly unconvinced about the Bournemouth bit. Maybe 10-15 more realistic but the change in manager and the first 2 months out injured barely helped.

Just now, Charlie BCFC said:

Could we bring in one striker and then give someone like SPH a go as another striker?

Thinning out again.

Weimann and Conway out, one in and SPH promoted. Not sure SPH is ready yet, decent League One loan maybe?

• Like 1

Still think one more year here could serve Conway best. Was looking for some stuff on Scott earlier and found this NP quote in late 2022. Subject to style of play of course.

Screenshot_20240611-233946_Chrome.thumb.jpg.a3ef2dba3957ac2831f6c3bde19d77a8.jpg

Obviously we fast forward but you could easily say Conway benefits greatly from another season here but if he won't sign a contract it becomes more difficult..

Scott at this time had 2.5 years left, Conway has 1.

• Like 1

Sad to see him, but not as sad as I was for Scott and Semenyo. I think one more contract would be best for him but if he thinks he's got chances to play somewhere better I can't blame him.

Cautiously excited though Conway as good a finisher as he is I do think there are forwards out there that would be "easier" to service. Someone faster or stronger or maybe more technical. 

So you never know next season we could end up with a worse finisher, but someone who scores more goals. 

Edited by MythikRobins

2 hours ago, BasSavage88 said:

He’s right Tbf. No ones going to pay us 5 mill for a young lad with 1 year left 

Tommy Conway will not leave Bristol City in this transfer window for 1.5 million. I can one million percent guarantee that. 

For that sort of figure you just keep him here and then take your chances with the compensation. 

As I said earlier on, Gyokeres left country for 25 million with just 12 months left on his contract. I don't think a player having 12 months left on their contracts has much impact on a players value when they are in demand as people are making out. 

At the age of about 24 Bobby Reid had scored around the same amount of goals as Conway has and also had 12 months left on his contract and left for around 10 million. 

We won't even pick up the phone for a 1.5 million bid.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Agree on most of this, just fairly unconvinced about the Bournemouth bit. Maybe 10-15 more realistic but the change in manager and the first 2 months out injured barely helped.

The way I look at it is ,.
Bournemouth are not on a level to buy stars , but they do buy decent young talent to improve. Semenyo was a rough diamond for example. They would probably have got some idea what was happening here ,  from Scott , Semenyo and maybe even Kelly.
Conway showed enough in his first season to be on Clubs Radars. This has been a stop start season for him, on and off the pitch, but Clubs will be aware.
Bournemouth seem to be one of the Clubs that will take a punt around £5m , though I think we will be lucky to get half that. 
They could sign him, give him a few games to see and easily get their money back in the future.  Just seems like a good fit to me. They also look like they play the sort of football that would suit him.
Time will tell.

10 hours ago, transfer reader said:

You could stick a scarecrow inside the penalty area at the start of each half and it would get a dozen goals a season for Celtic

Not if he was offside!

9 hours ago, JAWS said:

As others have said, he saw his mate get a big move, coupled with our lack ambition so makes complete sense for him & who can blame him. Trouble is were getting a bit of a reputation now but not for the right reasons ie. progression of the football 

His mates were good players and deserved their move and we done well out of it. 
A present Conway is at best a championship player, which is a good standard and another season or two wouldn’t do him any harm. 
If we are going to push on as a team next season we need a better goal scorer than him. 
If he thinks he’s good enough to play premiership standard then let him go and do it 

11 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

I rate Conway very highly , but his last season was disappointing partly due to Mannings structure.

However out of all the words I have read on here and elsewhere about Conway, Manning's resonate big time , as quoted again by Piercy.

“I totally understand if someone's journey is going miles quicker than the team's then I understand the move,” he told the BBC. "At the minute he's at the level where he's still being challenged. I think he's put in some good performances, I still think he's got a huge amount to do and improve which I'm sure he'd agree with."

Scott and Semenyo were better than us, Conway is not yet and if he moves to be third choice in the Prem then he might come to regret not signing the contract and staying one season more to hone his game

He could improve more with better players around him whilst earning significantly more money in the process. He backs himself and that is one reason why he is a good striker.

I am sad that our best players get creamed off but until we become one of the biggest clubs that will always be the case. Teams like Brighton, Wolves and Palace … lose their best players to bigger clubs. 

9 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Ha , ha, , if only. As with Scott and those before we won’t. At best you will get “one for the future “ (to flog off as the first opportunity) or alternatively a cheap journeyman ( to keep us in the Championship).

Remember “what football makes, football can spend “ , which means transfer income needs to cover the club’s overall losses first, which maybe something like £25M.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Tommy Conway will not leave Bristol City in this transfer window for 1.5 million. I can one million percent guarantee that. 

For that sort of figure you just keep him here and then take your chances with the compensation. 

As I said earlier on, Gyokeres left country for 25 million with just 12 months left on his contract. I don't think a player having 12 months left on their contracts has much impact on a players value when they are in demand as people are making out. 

At the age of about 24 Bobby Reid had scored around the same amount of goals as Conway has and also had 12 months left on his contract and left for around 10 million. 

We won't even pick up the phone for a 1.5 million bid.

Gyokeres is quality, that's the difference between him and an average Championship striker.

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

He could improve more with better players around him whilst earning significantly more money in the process. He backs himself and that is one reason why he is a good striker.

I am sad that our best players get creamed off but until we become one of the biggest clubs that will always be the case. Teams like Brighton, Wolves and Palace … lose their best players to bigger clubs. 

True, but the point about clubs like Brighton being a selling club at their level is the recruitment level they have.

When Brighton sell a star player, they have a potential star player lined up, we don't.

If the fees good then let’s sell.

Yeah he is a good finisher at times but still inconsistent. From our current way of playing he isn’t either strong enough or fast enough.

He might improve and become a player good enough to play in the premier league overtime but I have my doubts. I feel he is miles off that level at the moment. With getting into the Scotland setup he is probably higher rated than he has produced on the pitch. Let’s sell when his stock is still quite high and run 😂.

He currently isn’t a first name on the team sheet for us. Lets hope that Tinnion and con can unearth a gem that is more suited to what we need. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, M.D said:

True, but the point about clubs like Brighton being a selling club at their level is the recruitment level they have.

When Brighton sell a star player, they have a potential star player lined up, we don't.

Not so sure, Bas Savage was seen in an estate agents in Clifton village yesterday !

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Red Army 79 said:

If the fees good then let’s sell.

Yeah he is a good finisher at times but still inconsistent. From our current way of playing he isn’t either strong enough or fast enough.

He might improve and become a player good enough to play in the premier league overtime but I have my doubts. I feel he is miles off that level at the moment. With getting into the Scotland setup he is probably higher rated than he has produced on the pitch. Let’s sell when his stock is still quite high and run 😂.

He currently isn’t a first name on the team sheet for us. Lets hope that Tinnion and con can unearth a gem that is more suited to what we need. 

Agreed. Being massively overrated by our fanbase.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

13 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

I rate Conway very highly , but his last season was disappointing partly due to Mannings structure.

However out of all the words I have read on here and elsewhere about Conway, Manning's resonate big time , as quoted again by Piercy.

“I totally understand if someone's journey is going miles quicker than the team's then I understand the move,” he told the BBC. "At the minute he's at the level where he's still being challenged. I think he's put in some good performances, I still think he's got a huge amount to do and improve which I'm sure he'd agree with."

Scott and Semenyo were better than us, Conway is not yet and if he moves to be third choice in the Prem then he might come to regret not signing the contract and staying one season more to hone his game

Don’t assume he goes to the PL. I could easily see him moving to another Championship club, trebling his wages and banging in the goals. 

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Davefevs said:

The data (yeah, yeah, I know people don’t like it) says different.  He gets a small amount of chances, that he does well with.

IMG_0812.jpeg.9039fcf62aaec0e402030ca01245e3b2.jpeg

He is top 10% of Championship forwards for Shots on target (56% on target)

He is top 20% of Championship forwards for Converting chances (19% of shots end in a goal)

He is well down the rankings for shots in total, because we don’t service him.

People will pick on a few 1v1s missed, and base it on that. 

Why wouldn’t your head be turned?  He didn’t stop putting in 100% on the pitch, so why not be ambitious when there’s interest from other clubs / scouts regularly watching him and your own club isn’t matching yours?

Not saying you, but since it’s looked less likely he’s been staying there a lot of “jilted lovers” now saying he’s shit, who were saying very different things after West Ham.

I certainly do not believe he's shit....he is a good player, who lacked the service needed to score more regularly.  He's a young kid who is ambitious, i just believe he is jumping ship too early.  It will be interesting if he gets an opportunity at Euro 2024, as the more we get for him the better?  The bottom line is, he does no longer wish's to play for the club i support, so the sooner he goes the better.  He takes a good pen!

17 minutes ago, maxjak said:

i just believe he is jumping ship too early

You and others think similarly.  I don’t.  But that’s irrelevant.

Ultimately Tommy thinks he is.

22 minutes ago, maxjak said:

The bottom line is, he does no longer wish's to play for the club i support, so the sooner he goes the better.

There is an argument that Tommy would prefer to stay - but our ambitions / likelihood of hitting expectations don’t match his.  I’m only guessing, but I reckon he’d prefer to be a PL player with Bristol City if he could.  But the actions and comms from the club don’t fill me with confidence, so I doubt TC is either.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

People seem to forget that what City will have offered Conway would already make him a very rich young man.

I understand that he may well be able to get even more money elsewhere but this would be an increase on an already fantastic wage. I doubt he'll get so many games at a 'bigger' club and actually a little patience and loyalty from such a long term academy product wouldn't seem too much to ask.

He owes everything he's got to City and if even more money so early in his career is so important to him that he rejects the club and jettisons City at the first opportunity, then it's just as well he leaves - at this stage it doesn't matter to me where he goes, just that City get the best deal possible.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

People seem to forget that what City will have offered Conway would already make him a very rich young man.

I understand that he may well be able to get even more money elsewhere but this would be an increase on an already fantastic wage. I doubt he'll get so many games at a 'bigger' club and actually a little patience and loyalty from such a long term academy product wouldn't seem too much to ask.

He owes everything he's got to City and if even more money so early in his career is so important to him that he rejects the club and jettisons City at the first opportunity, then it's just as well he leaves - at this stage it doesn't matter to me where he goes, just that City get the best deal possible.

As fans we tend to always refer back to money and use it as the driver.  And I’m sure it plays a part (probably a fairly big part).  But a pro footballer usually dedicates their early life to try to reach as a high a level as possible.  They give up tonnes.  They are usually pretty driven individuals, so I don’t think he owes everything he’s got to City.  I’m sure he’s grateful though for the part City have played.

It’s just that Conway feels he’s ready for the next “level” above what City can provide…and that will undoubtedly come with financial rewards, but that doesn’t make £££s the pure driver or the driver at all.  He’s stated his ambitions, he’s pushing to get there as soon as he can.  Good luck to him.

I don’t see the problem.  

There is no loyalty in football on either side.

• Like 6
  • Flames 3

4 hours ago, marksy said:

His mates were good players and deserved their move and we done well out of it. 
A present Conway is at best a championship player, which is a good standard and another season or two wouldn’t do him any harm. 
If we are going to push on as a team next season we need a better goal scorer than him. 
If he thinks he’s good enough to play premiership standard then let him go and do it 

I don't think we'll get better for the money we're prepared to spend which certainly wont be more than what we'll get.

Its a shame we don't have the foresight to sign these players up for longer even if options to extend. Not saying that would change his mind but we'd put ourselves in a better position for either more money or to retain. 

We are stuck in a reoccurring cycle hoping that we do a Luton or Ipswich & the stars align, cos the investment alone certainly won't be enough.

That's lansdowns problem. He uses the outlier/long odds as the benchmark. The other problem with this model is his inference with the football side whereas I suspect the successful outliers leave football people to make football decisions 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I think good on Conway for turning down a deal to put him among the top earners at the club. It says, to me at least, that he’s not solely motivated by money and that the club’s ambitions don’t match his own. I think the board’s genuine ambition is to retain the status quo and that any talk of the PL has proven to be hollow by our actions in the transfer market. 

For what it’s worth, I fully agree with his stance as there’s more chance of us being at the wrong end of the table next season than us being in the mix for promotion IMO and what’s the point in stagnating here?

In the short term it really puts the pressure on our recruitment this summer (surely we’re after two No.9s now), and over the longer term it puts pressure on the academy to keep churning out these saleable assets and that won’t last forever, that’s for sure.  

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

3 hours ago, 2015 said:

Gyokeres is quality, that's the difference between him and an average Championship striker.

Once again, at the same age as Conway is now, Gyokeres had not scored a single Championship goal. So if you're describing Tommy as average I'd love to know what you thought of a 21 year old goalless Gyokeres. 

This may come as a surprise to you but clubs will not be buying Tommy based on the player he is today. They'll be signing him for his potential. Not many players have 20 Championship goals under their belt at his age. 

• Like 9

2 hours ago, tin said:

Don’t assume he goes to the PL. I could easily see him moving to another Championship club, trebling his wages and banging in the goals. 

A parachute club, fine.

It would be a very sad situation if he went to another non Parachute Champ club. They surely cant offer enough more than us to make a move from his home club worthwhile, particularly at such a young age.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Once again, at the same age as Conway is now, Gyokeres had not scored a single Championship goal. So if you're describing Tommy as average I'd love to know what you thought of a 21 year old goalless Gyokeres. 

This may come as a surprise to you but clubs will not be buying Tommy based on the player he is today. They'll be signing him for his potential. Not many players have 20 Championship goals under their belt at his age. 

I kind of agree on one level, but at the same time I just can't see us getting an 8 figure fee this summer.

Gykores last year, seen suggested at €20m which is £15-17m depending on the exchange rate.

Unless TC signs an extension and has a good Euros we could struggle to get seven figures this summer. As I said earlier we certainly won't from Rangers or Celtic as he could sign a precontract with them and we'd just receive 300k in compensation. We really need an English club to show real interest. 

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

This may come as a surprise to you but clubs will not be buying Tommy based on the player he is today. They'll be signing him for his  potential.

Fair comment Seagull. 

Shame that Manning played only one up top with either Wells or Conway. Had TC had a striking partner he’d have certainly got more assists and goals and when he moves on wherever he goes he won’t be played as a lone striker.

2 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

He owes everything he's got to City 

Wrong. He owes everything he's got to being a very talented and determined player.

& a move would make him a very richer young man.

• Like 3

In the football world we live in today money trumps loyalty

The days of John Atyeo are way in the past.

Once a player’s head has been turned by money little the club can do but get as many bucks from a transfer as they can

PS I am browned off with players kissing the badge on their shirts; it would make more sense if they kissed their bank statements.

All of the above drives players further from the fans than ever. As an elderly and distant supporter these days I often don’t get to see a star player as they have already departed to richer fields by the time of my next match!

• Like 1

It's funny how so many of our fans say he's overrated and yet he's drawing a lot of attention from bigger clubs than us. Then you look at our squad and say who is the best striker we have and despite only being 21 he's clearly in the top spot with arguably no competition. 

Conway holds all the cards, Wells is 34 and not as good as Conway, Bell is too lightweight in the middle, Cornick is not a goalscorer, he's a +1 forward. This is that Conway isn't that good comes purely from the fact that we don't play to good strengths and if I were looking to buy him I'd be looking at when Pearson was manager as he knew exactly how to play Tommy, he played him on the last man ready to counter the opposition and hand Tommy run shoulder to shoulder with defenders which is where he really shines. 

That brings me onto another reason why LM needs to transform this team, he's not a manager who gets the best out of players, he's a manager who brings players in to fit the football he wants to play and that's exactly why we'll struggle to improve under him, because we can't afford to buy the quality required for that kind of plan and I think Tommy knows he'll not be played to his strengths if he stays.

A lot of people say Tommy has more room to develop and I agree, but he'll learn a lot more from a manager and a team who play the football he's best suited too so why would he stay when he can get more money and potentially get to play the football where he'll get more chances and cause more problems for the opposition. 

From what I'm reading this morning there's is interest from Rangers, Celtic and Wolves, why would you not choose Celtic where you'll get paid more, most likely win a league trophy and potentially play Champions league football whist living in the Country you play your international football? The lad would have to travel far less week in, week out, be watched more by his international coaches, earn more money, play with players who he can learn much more from and have a chance to play European football. Meanwhile some of our fans think he should stay here where he's been since he was 7 because..... he's been here since he was 7 and should be "loyal". 

Let's not talk sh*te, we would have sold our even released Conway in a heartbeat if he'd not developed to the level he has, just look at all the academy players we've released over the years. Football isn't about loyalty, is it a great quality for a club if a player is overly loyal... yes, for the club, but not necessarily for the player. Tommy owes us nothing, he seems willing to move so he's not forcing his contract to run down, he's simply not signing himself into a position where he no longer has control over his future. 

If we sell Conway I won't hold anything against him, it will be unfortunate for us because he's our best striker and will be far harder to replace than many of our fans realise. I also think whilst people are talking about him being overrated I think those same people think a players success at a club is all about them and not about how the team plays it's football. If he goes to a club who use him right and supply him chances I think we'll be seeing his name on the score sheet a lot, what my concern as a City fan is do we have the ability to find better on our budget, I personally do not think we do. 

• Like 11
  • Flames 4

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

As fans we tend to always refer back to money and use it as the driver.  And I’m sure it plays a part (probably a fairly big part).  But a pro footballer usually dedicates their early life to try to reach as a high a level as possible.  They give up tonnes.  They are usually pretty driven individuals, so I don’t think he owes everything he’s got to City.  I’m sure he’s grateful though for the part City have played.

It’s just that Conway feels he’s ready for the next “level” above what City can provide…and that will undoubtedly come with financial rewards, but that doesn’t make £££s the pure driver or the driver at all.  He’s stated his ambitions, he’s pushing to get there as soon as he can.  Good luck to him.

I don’t see the problem.  

There is no loyalty in football on either side.

I still think this is what a lot of Bristol City fans don’t understand Dave. A lot of fans still have the mindset it’s like your child playing for their Sunday league time. 

No player owes any ounce of loyalty to a club or vice versa. Tommy has had a good start to his professional career, and now believes Bristol City FC do not match his own ambition on where he wants to get to. There is nothing wrong with that. Good luck to Tommy wherever he moves.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

A parachute club, fine.

It would be a very sad situation if he went to another non Parachute Champ club. They surely cant offer enough more than us to make a move from his home club worthwhile, particularly at such a young age.

I could see Coventry or Boro being attractive non-PP clubs as well as realistic beyond Leeds, Luton, Burnley and Sheffield Utd.  Simms or Wright could leave to open up a big signing.  Boro look like they’re going for it.

1 hour ago, Spike said:

It's funny how so many of our fans say he's overrated and yet he's drawing a lot of attention from bigger clubs than us. Then you look at our squad and say who is the best striker we have and despite only being 21 he's clearly in the top spot with arguably no competition. 

Conway holds all the cards, Wells is 34 and not as good as Conway, Bell is too lightweight in the middle, Cornick is not a goalscorer, he's a +1 forward. This is that Conway isn't that good comes purely from the fact that we don't play to good strengths and if I were looking to buy him I'd be looking at when Pearson was manager as he knew exactly how to play Tommy, he played him on the last man ready to counter the opposition and hand Tommy run shoulder to shoulder with defenders which is where he really shines. 

That brings me onto another reason why LM needs to transform this team, he's not a manager who gets the best out of players, he's a manager who brings players in to fit the football he wants to play and that's exactly why we'll struggle to improve under him, because we can't afford to buy the quality required for that kind of plan and I think Tommy knows he'll not be played to his strengths if he stays.

A lot of people say Tommy has more room to develop and I agree, but he'll learn a lot more from a manager and a team who play the football he's best suited too so why would he stay when he can get more money and potentially get to play the football where he'll get more chances and cause more problems for the opposition. 

From what I'm reading this morning there's is interest from Rangers, Celtic and Wolves, why would you not choose Celtic where you'll get paid more, most likely win a league trophy and potentially play Champions league football whist living in the Country you play your international football? The lad would have to travel far less week in, week out, be watched more by his international coaches, earn more money, play with players who he can learn much more from and have a chance to play European football. Meanwhile some of our fans think he should stay here where he's been since he was 7 because..... he's been here since he was 7 and should be "loyal". 

Let's not talk sh*te, we would have sold our even released Conway in a heartbeat if he'd not developed to the level he has, just look at all the academy players we've released over the years. Football isn't about loyalty, is it a great quality for a club if a player is overly loyal... yes, for the club, but not necessarily for the player. Tommy owes us nothing, he seems willing to move so he's not forcing his contract to run down, he's simply not signing himself into a position where he no longer has control over his future. 

If we sell Conway I won't hold anything against him, it will be unfortunate for us because he's our best striker and will be far harder to replace than many of our fans realise. I also think whilst people are talking about him being overrated I think those same people think a players success at a club is all about them and not about how the team plays it's football. If he goes to a club who use him right and supply him chances I think we'll be seeing his name on the score sheet a lot, what my concern as a City fan is do we have the ability to find better on our budget, I personally do not think we do. 

The post I wish I’d written…nice one!

Edited by Davefevs

4 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Maybe a relatively low cost punt by Bournemouth incoming.

32 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I could see Coventry or Boro being attractive non-PP clubs as well as realistic beyond Leeds, Luton, Burnley and Sheffield Utd.  Simms or Wright could leave to open up a big signing.  Boro look like they’re going for it.

The post I wish I’d written…nice one!

Boro going for it again! No parachute payments and an owner who's net worth is considerably less than lansdown. He's actually a true fan & properly interested in the success of his football team. He wants to make it happen & doesn't see it as a business.  On the other hand....

• Like 3
  • Robin 1

3 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

In the football world we live in today money trumps loyalty

The days of John Atyeo are way in the past.

Once a player’s head has been turned by money little the club can do but get as many bucks from a transfer as they can

PS I am browned off with players kissing the badge on their shirts; it would make more sense if they kissed their bank statements.

All of the above drives players further from the fans than ever. As an elderly and distant supporter these days I often don’t get to see a star player as they have already departed to richer fields by the time of my next match!

Loyalty is not how I would describe it. 'in the days of John Atyeo' players had very low wages, and their contracts were wholly controlled by the clubs. It wasn't like they had the option to move or not.

37 minutes ago, JAWS said:

Boro going for it again! No parachute payments and an owner who's net worth is considerably less than lansdown. He's actually a true fan & properly interested in the success of his football team. He wants to make it happen & doesn't see it as a business.  On the other hand....

I meant to say business or vanity project.

I actually think SL is conflicted by the two hence the continual flip flopping & irrational/inefficient management 

• Like 2

My view or one of my views anyway is that he has a certain outlook.

*Well- Stadium developed- ☑️

*Much improved Training Ground- ☑️

*Markedly more productive Academy- ☑️

*Strong non-matchday revenue- ☑️

"Now you go out with that platform, up to you now- club must also be as self reliant as possible".

It is a flawed view if he sees if this way given the current financial model, disparities, the fact there isn't a breakeven model in respect of Profit or Cash in the game- there is a maximum loss model which is very different, but I think this forms part of his thinking. Or does now anyway.

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

My view or one of my views anyway is that he has a certain outlook.

*Well- Stadium developed- ☑️

*Much improved Training Ground- ☑️

*Markedly more productive Academy- ☑️

*Strong non-matchday revenue- ☑️

"Now you go out with that platform, up to you now- club must also be as self reliant as possible".

It is a flawed view if he sees if this way given the current financial model, disparities, the fact there isn't a breakeven model in respect of Profit or Cash in the game- there is a maximum loss model which is very different, but I think this forms part of his thinking. Or does now anyway.

Yes totally agree Pops. He continually harps back to 'sustainability'. He's an accountant by trade & can't seem to let go. Rather than say I've been there done that & it's made me the fortune I have now to enable me to have a hobby and a passion that I'm prepared to lose money on cos I can afford to. A leopard doesn't change his spots. He's probably regretting ever getting involved he's in so deep

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JAWS said:

Yes totally agree Pops. He continually harps back to 'sustainability'. He's an accountant by trade & can't seem to let go. Rather than say I've been there done that & it's made me the fortune I have now to enable me to have a hobby and a passion that I'm prepared to lose money on cos I can afford to. A leopard doesn't change his spots. He's probably regretting ever getting involved he's in so deep

It seemed a good idea at the time! :laugh:. 

20 minutes ago, JAWS said:

Perhaps SL is yeah. Or he thought we would've been promoted at least once by now.

Now he seems to be running us in a state of stasis. Perhaps waiting with crossed fingers for new financial stability rules and redistribution.

He has gone through feast snd famine phases before so maybe we will see another change of heart.

I've tried to take a more positive approach to the upcoming season than a week or 2 ago JAWS but I'm struggling a bit still.

4 hours ago, myol'man said:

Wrong. He owes everything he's got to being a very talented and determined player.

& a move would make him a very richer young man.

Having a different opinion to you doesn't make me wrong.

He owes everything to City because they've given him the platform to succeed from an early age, coached him and encouraged him for 12 years and constantly instilled the belief and confidence that he could make it in the professional game.

Then given him an early chance of playing Championship football.

I agree he's taken advantage of that platform through dedication and hard work but If it hadn't been for the dedicated input of numerous coaches at various levels at City over more than a decade he may not have made it at all.

And the thirst to become even richer, when City are already offering a contract that would likely make him a millionaire, could be seen as pure greed at this stage of his career when he has the opportunity to give something back to the club, and the fans, by signing that fat new contract.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1

26 minutes ago, Corsham Alf said:

100% he’s going. There’s a heck of a lot going on behind the scenes as we speak.

I cannot say too much more right now. 

Assume bid(s) have been made/ accepted then.

Could this happen before the Euros?

1 hour ago, Corsham Alf said:

100% he’s going. There’s a heck of a lot going on behind the scenes as we speak.

I cannot say too much more right now. 

Wouldn’t be surprised by this after the conversation I had last week. Should imagine there will be some exciting activity as soon as the transfer window opens. We’ll get a decent fee for Conway and sell on.

looking forward to the new arrivals and Conway will soon be forgotten 👍

• Hmmm 1