IGNORED

Tommy Conway Baby

REDOXO

18 minutes ago, marksy said:

Wouldn’t be surprised by this after the conversation I had last week. Should imagine there will be some exciting activity as soon as the transfer window opens. We’ll get a decent fee for Conway and sell on.

looking forward to the new arrivals and Conway will soon be forgotten 👍

Hopefully your optimism is well-founded.

Club and fans need a lift, feels like we are just stuck in a bit of a rut IMO.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Having a different opinion to you doesn't make me wrong.

He owes everything to City because they've given him the platform to succeed from an early age, coached him and encouraged him for 12 years and constantly instilled the belief and confidence that he could make it in the professional game.

Then given him an early chance of playing Championship football.

I agree he's taken advantage of that platform through dedication and hard work but If it hadn't been for the dedicated input of numerous coaches at various levels at City over more than a decade he may not have made it at all.

And the thirst to become even richer, when City are already offering a contract that would likely make him a millionaire, could be seen as pure greed at this stage of his career when he has the opportunity to give something back to the club, and the fans, by signing that fat new contract.

Sorry but Tommy owes us nothing. He's honoured every contract we've ever given to him. He's under no obligation to sign a new contract. He's not handed in a transfer request. If we sell him this summer which is likely then that will be because we want to get some money for him rather than seeing him leave at the end of his contract. 

Every year we cut loose x amount of players because they've not made the grade. Those players have dedicated their life to us and then just like that we release them. It works both ways. 

Sorry but to suggest that it's pure greed from Tommy to reject a new contract is absolutely ridiculous. There has been plenty said in this thread about why he would want to leave for footballing reasons before even getting to the money side of things. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Flames 4

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Sorry but Tommy owes us nothing. He's honoured every contract we've ever given to him. He's under no obligation to sign a new contract. He's not handed in a transfer request. If we sell him this summer which is likely then that will be because we want to get some money for him rather than seeing him leave at the end of his contract. 

Every year we cut loose x amount of players because they've not made the grade. Those players have dedicated their life to us and then just like that we release them. It works both ways. 

Sorry but to suggest that it's pure greed from Tommy to reject a new contract is absolutely ridiculous. There has been plenty said in this thread about why he would want to leave for footballing reasons before even getting to the money side of things. 

It’s hard to swallow as a fan but I don’t disagree with anything you’ve said here. It’s frustrating when a player wants to leave, especially when they’re ’one of our own’, but you’re absolutely right. There will be tens, possibly hundreds, of boys that Conway has played with over the years that the club have released, often without a second thought. 

Conway is one of the very few players who have got to the point where they are worth more to a club than the club is to them. He’s examined his options and decided that he needs to move on to progress his career and likely make a lot more money. If we can sell him this summer for a decent price, the price we get for him will pay for the academy for at least 2 years so the club won’t do badly out of it.

I don’t like the fact that yet another young player wants to leave, and as I’ve said I’m not sure that Conway is as good as he thinks he is yet. Time will tell but, unfortunately, the sad reality is that until we progress from being a mid-table Championship club these things will keep happening to us. 

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Perhaps SL is yeah. Or he thought we would've been promoted at least once by now.

Now he seems to be running us in a state of stasis. Perhaps waiting with crossed fingers for new financial stability rules and redistribution.

He has gone through feast snd famine phases before so maybe we will see another change of heart.

I've tried to take a more positive approach to the upcoming season than a week or 2 ago JAWS but I'm struggling a bit still.

I admire your positivity especially in light of previous events. I'm apathetic as you can probably tell. I'd be more content if the Lansdowns were honest & admit we don't have a top 6 squad

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JAWS said:

I admire your positivity especially in light of previous events. I'm apathetic as you can probably tell. I'd be more content if the Lansdowns were honest & admit we don't have a top 6 squad

I think we all look at the squad and what it might look like and see it as mid-table.  We also come out with comments like “if the stars align type comments (me as bad as anyone else).  So we are happy to put the “exceed expectations” side of it on the table.

What if we underperform?

We never talk about that, it’s as if 12th is as bad as it could be.  But it’s not is it?

Interesting summer ahead.

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, JAWS said:

We certainly don't have a top 6 squad.

I'm struggling with the positivity believe me.it doesn't come easy anymore. :(

Solid base but it is weakening a bit..James gone, Conway maybe going. Experience and little bit of depth of King and Weimann.

it isn't too late for the tide to turn, we're what mid June but we will need multiple good signings in the priority positions. Less injuries and maybe a bit more affordable but clever depth in other positions and it would change again.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, JAWS said:

Out of interest and not a dig but why do you need the Lansdowns to tell you that? 

32 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think we all look at the squad and what it might look like and see it as mid-table.  We also come out with comments like “if the stars align type comments (me as bad as anyone else).  So we are happy to put the “exceed expectations” side of it on the table.

What if we underperform?

We never talk about that, it’s as if 12th is as bad as it could be.  But it’s not is it?

Interesting summer ahead.

The inevitable relegation talk will no doubt ensue Fevs when we have our annual bad run. The championship is so ruthless, a club in our position cannot afford to be complacent. Look at brum & Blackburn 

• Like 1

With clubs in general, do the majority shall we say five the hierarchy a lot of the time the benefit of the doubt?

My thinking is yes..not so much on the top 6 squad bit but faith in the plan, the strategy- a belief that the top brass in fact *may* know what they are doing.

Alternatively a decent chunk of fans maybe relatively content wirh being a solid and hopefully entertaining Championship side in the medium term. 

I personally think we are one of the more poorly run clubs at the level atm- again not necessarily League position or base but backing the right horse at the right time...

...Sunderland I would argue are wasting their potential more with a flawed plan, but I can't think of many others.

1 hour ago, Rob k said:

But you must know the same as me we don’t 

Of course Rob. Just don't like the bullshit. Prefer honesty. Get much more respect that way. Before NP was sacked the majority of us were happy the way things were progressing organically. We didn't have immediate top 6 aspirations but the mood was that NP was building the kind of environment and team spirit that could eventually (maybe a few years) crack the top 6  with a top 10/12 budget. To then pull the rug from under that progress and tell us we have a squad capable of challenging the top 6 was obviously complete bullshit but they are so arrogant and condescending that they think we buy it.

That's why I'd like them to admit we haven't 

• Like 7
  • Flames 4

3 minutes ago, SimonL said:

From the BBC Sport Website. Best get him sold quick.

image.png.5dcf847a841d6eeefd67a6d278e3ad31.png

I really, really, really, really hope Tinnion’s comment that (paraphrased) “we might have to let him run his contract down” was just a bit of bravado that we won’t be held to ransom this window on fee.

To let him get to next summer with the risk of signing for either of those two would be bonkers.

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I really, really, really, really hope Tinnion’s comment that (paraphrased) “we might have to let him run his contract down” was just a bit of bravado that we won’t be held to ransom this window on fee.

To let him get to next summer with the risk of signing for either of those two would be bonkers.

Not for the first time it’s a stupid thing to say.

Fortunately I think we are actively looking to sell now & I expect there to be sufficient interest for this not to happen.

Those who see this scenario as part of us “going for it” fail to recognise it simply leaves us with a demotivated player who is eyeing the exit door & far more concerned about his next contract than us.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Fortunately I think we are actively looking to sell now & I expect there to be sufficient interest for this not to happen.

Those who see this scenario as part of us “going for it” fail to recognise it simply leaves us with a demotivated player who is eyeing the exit door & far more concerned about his next contract than us.

I don't think Tommy is the type to down tools like HNM did. It wouldn't be in his best interest to do so. 

It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out. We may accept bids but then Tommy decides he doesn't want to join that club (Maynard and Leicester) 

15 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

He owes everything to City because they've given him the platform to succeed from an early age, coached him and encouraged him for 12 years and constantly instilled the belief and confidence that he could make it in the professional game.

I agree he's taken advantage of that platform through dedication and hard work but If it hadn't been for the dedicated input of numerous coaches at various levels at City over more than a decade he may not have made it at all.

And the thirst to become even richer, when City are already offering a contract that would likely make him a millionaire, could be seen as pure greed at this stage of his career when he has the opportunity to give something back to the club, and the fans, by signing that fat new contract.

2 way street.

Club makes a substantial profit on its investment.

Player moves to a club run properly which plays to his strengths.

I suspect hed want to move if the financial rewards were the same.

Why should anyone stay at a workplace they are unhappy at if they have options 

18 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

The only thing our current squad make up tells me is that we are going for a mid table finish.

I wouldnt put it past the ******** in charge seeing it differently of course.

TC has paid his dues imo and on the basis of performances last season a move will profit both parties.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I don't think Tommy is the type to down tools like HNM did. It wouldn't be in his best interest to do so. 

It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out. We may accept bids but then Tommy decides he doesn't want to join that club (Maynard and Leicester) 

I don’t think Han downed tools, he had a back game v Brum in a crap team performance, and Nige decided to leave him out from that point because he wasn’t signing a contract…then loaned him to Auxerre.  Then he left.

1 hour ago, Natchfever said:

2 way street.

Club makes a substantial profit on its investment.

Player moves to a club run properly which plays to his strengths.

I suspect hed want to move if the financial rewards were the same.

Why should anyone stay at a workplace they are unhappy at if they have options 

Anyone criticising Adam Wharton for leaving Blackburn, because (as per Sky interview the other day) he wanted to achieve his ambition of playing in the PL and becoming an international.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

The fault doesn't lie with Tommy (or any other player), the fault lies with the club who show little ambition and minimal aspiration.
Whilst saying all the right things about premier league football no one can really say they've backed their words with tangible financial action.
The incoming transfers have been enough to keep us out of danger and pacify most of the support base, but realistically are no where near the level Tinnion or JL say they are.
This club is an attractive proposition for young players because of the established pathway. There is however, no established pathway for the club to attain PL status whilst it's merely a stepping stone for young hungry players.
As lots of others frequently say, we have to hang on to the best players to achieve anything. 
I just can't see it happening.

Edited by Philly The Kid
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Flames 2

Tommy is a good lad and I would sorry to see go. 
But you do have to wonder how much of the rumours are Agent lead looking 👀 to line his pockets and not really 🤔 putting Tommy’s interests first. 
we all know how Lansdown feels about agents 

10 minutes ago, Philly The Kid said:

The fault doesn't lie with Tommy (or any other player), the fault lies with the club who show little ambition and minimal aspiration.
Whilst saying all the right things about premier league football no one can really say they've backed their words with tangible financial action.
The incoming transfers have been enough to keep us out of danger and pacify most of the support base, but realistically are no where near the level Tinnion or JL say they are.
This club is an attractive proposition for young players because of the established pathway. There is however, no established pathway for the club to attain PL status whilst it's merely a stepping stone for young hungry players.
As lots of others frequently say, we have to hang on to the best players to achieve anything. 
I just can't see it happening.

Post the sale of Scott was a turning point for me.

Would always be tight with FFP without it what with-£50m in losses across the prior 2 seasons but we had to use that £20-25m allied with the 2 year financial reset to show a bit of intent..to demonstrate to fans, and yes players and management team at that time (Now new management team) that we can give it a go, build on the base. 

2 or 3 quality signings, new contract for management team etc..either in August or clear groundwork to hit the ground running in January or the next summer to demonstrate that yes we want to give it a bit of a go.

Instead we got random nonsense about nest eggs, the budget is the budget and the CEO leaving by mid September!

Plus of course Tinnion and Jon Lansdown stepping up to bigger roles and NP etc getting sacked by end of October.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1
  • Flames 1

19 hours ago, marksy said:

Wouldn’t be surprised by this after the conversation I had last week. Should imagine there will be some exciting activity as soon as the transfer window opens. We’ll get a decent fee for Conway and sell on.

looking forward to the new arrivals and Conway will soon be forgotten 👍

It won’t be a decent fee unless he dazzles in the Euros (unlikely). 

We’ve been trying to ship him off ever since last summer but were asking for a starting fee of 6m. Hence no concrete offers. Celtic offered £1.5 m last summer.

I’ve been advised he’s trained well but apparently has a very over inflated opinion of his abilities. He’s told the club he wants to play in the prem. interestingly he’s told Mr manning he doesn’t believe he’s suited to his style of football!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Corsham Alf said:

interestingly he’s told Mr manning he doesn’t believe he’s suited to his style of football!

Well to me, if this is a key part of the issue.. no player is bigger than the club but comparable players it feels like we will be worse off.

None of the mood music is good this summer.

15 minutes ago, Corsham Alf said:

We’ve been trying to ship him off ever since last summer but were asking for a starting fee of 6m. Hence no concrete offers. Celtic offered £1.5 m last summer.

I’ve been advised he’s trained well but apparently has a very over inflated opinion of his abilities. He’s told the club he wants to play in the prem. interestingly he’s told Mr manning he doesn’t believe he’s suited to his style of football!

Which, as has been pointed out, presumably means he didn’t think he was suited to Pearson’s style of football then either 

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Post the sale of Scott was a turning point for me.

Would always be tight with FFP without it what with-£50m in losses across the prior 2 seasons but we had to use that £20-25m allied with the 2 year financial reset to show a bit of intent..to demonstrate to fans, and yes players and management team at that time (Now new management team) that we can give it a go, build on the base. 

2 or 3 quality signings, new contract for management team etc..either in August or clear groundwork to hit the ground running in January or the next summer to demonstrate that yes we want to give it a bit of a go.

Instead we got random nonsense about nest eggs, the budget is the budget and the CEO leaving by mid September!

Plus of course Tinnion and Jon Lansdown stepping up to bigger roles and NP etc getting sacked by end of October.

You couldn’t make up the absolute incompetence of the Lansdowns.

All because they didn’t like being told a few home truths about how to run an actual football club.

What a mess.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 3

56 minutes ago, Corsham Alf said:

Well, £1.5M with 2 seasons left on his contract was a pisstake.

If (say) Wolves offered £3M now I think I'd snap their hands off. We're at the point where we should be looking to get an acceptable amount for a diminishing asset.

If we dont have his replacement lined up and ready to sign then we are negligent.

PS   This is where we should be planting stories in the national press 'Bristol City have turned down a bid of £X for star striker  Tommy Conway from an unnamed Premier League club. Technical Director Brain Tinnion said 'We're still confident Tommy will sign a new deal when he's back from the Euros'.'

Edited by Sleepy1968
  • Like 3

56 minutes ago, Corsham Alf said:

He'll be lucky to get a Prem move. Championship club more likely as of now. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Anyone criticising Adam Wharton for leaving Blackburn, because (as per Sky interview the other day) he wanted to achieve his ambition of playing in the PL and becoming an international.

Haven't seen Wharton's interview but on the face of it I can't see many similarities between Conway's situation and Wharton's.

Wharton didn't reject a contract afaik, was in high demand from PL clubs and earned his boyhood club (mascot at 4 years old ,academy from 6) 18m rising to 22m.

He had very clearly outgrown Blackburn and left the club 18m better off and no doubt with everyone's best wishes; not sure the same will apply to Conway, particularly if he isn't snapped up by a PL club but ends up in Scotland for 300k!

Plus of course TC has achieved full international recognition without leaving AG.

Edited by Nogbad the Bad

Interesting point - Conway looking to leave as he doesn’t believe he is  suited to Mannings way of playing…. Ouch,  That’s a serious situation for the hierarchy at the club if true. Why are talented young players wanting to leave the management of a guy handpicked to do develop them. That’s not the ethos we are being told is our plan moving forward. 

Edited by ciderwithtommy
  • Like 10
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, ciderwithtommy said:

Interesting point - Conway looking to leave as he doesn’t believe he is  suited to Mannings way of playing…. Ouch,  That’s a serious situation for the hierarchy at the club if true. Why are talented young players wanting to leave the management of a guy handpicked to do develop them. That’s not the ethos we are being told is our plan moving forward. 

Well put.

Conway and NP were a better suited match stylistically IMO but even failing that, if one of our prime young assets- as Piercy said it is rare a player like that comes in the market suddenly- wants to leave in part as the style of play isn't to his liking, it rings alarm bells.

• Like 1

I genuinely think the style of play thing is a red herring. We wanted him to sign last summer, he didn't. Instead he watched his flat mate probably quadruple his earnings.

It seems we're in a rush to frame this as;

TC has done the dirty on us; or

LM has driven him away

For me, it's way less interesting, TC has done a good job, but 12 months ago decided he wanted to move on (hence not signing then). I don't think him nor Manning have done anything wrong, it's just football.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmmm 2
  • Flames 1

8 minutes ago, TDarwall said:

I genuinely think the style of play thing is a red herring. We wanted him to sign last summer, he didn't. Instead he watched his flat mate probably quadruple his earnings.

It seems we're in a rush to frame this as;

TC has done the dirty on us; or

LM has driven him away

For me, it's way less interesting, TC has done a good job, but 12 months ago decided he wanted to move on (hence not signing then). I don't think him nor Manning have done anything wrong, it's just football.

I'm not a fan of Manning or his style of play but no reason to think either played a part in this- TC had decided not to sign before Nige left.

Perhaps TC has been badly advised and got a bit too big for his boots?

He says he wants PL football, it'll be interesting to see how many PL clubs want him.

Whatever the reason, if he's made up his mind to leave then as fans all we can hope for is it happens asap, for the best fee & add ons possible.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

It would be interesting to know how it compares to other clubs.

I can't see him being PL ready at this juncture in any event, top end Championship perhaps. Obviously Old Firm and by definition the chance to shine on the European stage.

I agree - he’s not ready for the Premier league but he believes he is ! At times last season he was frequently outmuscled by physical centre backs.

We’ve enquired about a foreign striker I understand - No offer submitted yet and I’m not sure what league - I’m still trying to find out. Will update once I know 

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, ciderwithtommy said:

Interesting point - Conway looking to leave as he doesn’t believe he is  suited to Mannings way of playing…. Ouch,  That’s a serious situation for the hierarchy at the club if true. Why are talented young players wanting to leave the management of a guy handpicked to do develop them.

Not sure how many more times it needs saying that TC told the club he wanted to leave and wouldn't be signing a new contract months before Manning arrived.

The same poster that has given the "info" you are referring to also said "We’ve been trying to ship him off ever since last summer🧐

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Not sure how many more times it needs saying that TC told the club he wanted to leave and wouldn't be signing a new contract months before Manning arrived.

The same poster that has given the "info" you are referring to also said "We’ve been trying to ship him off ever since last summer🧐

There's a difference between saying Manning is the reason he wants to leave, and thinking that our style of play under Manning has not suited Conway or played to his strengths.

Someone posted the shot conversion stats and his are pretty good, the difference is he gets far less chances than most decent strikers.

Put him in a better team, he'll score goals IMO.

• Like 6
  • Flames 2

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Well to me, if this is a key part of the issue.. no player is bigger than the club but comparable players it feels like we will be worse off.

None of the mood music is good this summer.

He’s not saying he’s bigger than the club, he’s saying he think he can play at a better club / level (whatever level means).

He’s been top scorer at City for two years running, doing the hardest job (putting the ball in the net), why wouldn’t he think he can do it at the next level.  In his head he might be thinking “if I can do it at low scoring / low creating City, imagine what I might do for a more creative side, or a side that creates my type of chances”.

1 hour ago, Rob k said:

Which, as has been pointed out, presumably means he didn’t think he was suited to Pearson’s style of football then either 

I would think that the decision not to sign whilst Pearson was here was Celtic related, then injury with window closing. I don’t think playing style was an issue last summer…least of all preseason when Scott and Knight were feeding him and he was banging them in for fun.

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Haven't seen Wharton's interview but on the face of it I can't see many similarities between Conway's situation and Wharton's.

Wharton didn't reject a contract afaik, was in high demand from PL clubs and earned his boyhood club (mascot at 4 years old ,academy from 6) 18m rising to 22m.

He had very clearly outgrown Blackburn and left the club 18m better off and no doubt with everyone's best wishes; not sure the same will apply to Conway, particularly if he isn't snapped up by a PL club but ends up in Scotland for 300k!

Plus of course TC has achieved full international recognition without leaving AG.

I was talking more about the drive / ambition than the contract side.  But agree the other points.

57 minutes ago, ciderwithtommy said:

I think you could hear it in his interviews towards the end of the season.  As the hopes of getting a Scotland call-up were disappearing (Dykes injury saving that).  He might’ve improved his all-round game (I’m dubious personally), but LM’s style hadn’t improved the things he wants to do - score goals.

10 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Yep, overall he wanted to go.  But the reasons why can change / be a mix of things.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Corsham Alf said:

I agree - he’s not ready for the Premier league but he believes he is ! At times last season he was frequently outmuscled by physical centre backs.

We’ve enquired about a foreign striker I understand - No offer submitted yet and I’m not sure what league - I’m still trying to find out. Will update once I know 

A lot of strikers are.  Even Chris Martin was when it was him alone as the one taking the brunt.  As was Antoine Semenyo when it was him alone as the one taking the brunt too.  Two big hairy-arsed CBs bullying one CF is a tough gig.

But…when they played together, and CBs could not bully both, it not only made them a bigger threat, but opened up Andi Weimann.

+++++

Appreciate the updates though. 👍🏻

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Already been answered elsewhere slightly, but both can be true. Or, to look a different way, could a new manager who enthused him changed his mind? 

4 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

Ian Gay comments below: 

1. My understanding is that Opt 4 is dead & buried. City will sign a striker to replace him & two if another striker moves on. There is no interest only clickbait & even that is luke warm & recycled, frankly, a bit insulting to the lad with interest in Glagow £300k if he's OOC

2. So hardly a glowing reference for a player that City wanted to make one of if not, the best paid player at AG so there's no more the club could do. It's also clear from LM's comments that he won't play much football as a 4th/5th choice striker meaning a year of his life wasted

3.I believe City will resist any last minute "cheeky bids" that don't come somewhere near their valuation which will be realistic & would be close to being met by an English Tribunal. There are right & wrong ways to leave a club-This is the wrong way & entirely of Tommy's doing

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Corsham Alf said:

I don’t know anything but I do think he thinks he’s better than he actually is. He definitely wouldn’t have started so many games if there was more competition up front. 
He might prove me wrong but I can’t ever see him being a premiership striker. 

19 minutes ago, HengroveReds said:

Ian Gay comments below: 

1. My understanding is that Opt 4 is dead & buried. City will sign a striker to replace him & two if another striker moves on. There is no interest only clickbait & even that is luke warm & recycled, frankly, a bit insulting to the lad with interest in Glagow £300k if he's OOC

2. So hardly a glowing reference for a player that City wanted to make one of if not, the best paid player at AG so there's no more the club could do. It's also clear from LM's comments that he won't play much football as a 4th/5th choice striker meaning a year of his life wasted

3.I believe City will resist any last minute "cheeky bids" that don't come somewhere near their valuation which will be realistic & would be close to being met by an English Tribunal. There are right & wrong ways to leave a club-This is the wrong way & entirely of Tommy's doing

Well I was told and would take it as gospel that city will be looking for a fee of about £5 Million. 

A bid of 300 grand won’t do his ego much good. There’s players in the under 18s worth more than that 👍

Mind you Chelsea did pay £70 Million for that fullback from Brighton  🤣

Edited by marksy

Hope he does goes personally now before end of the window, want everyone committed and willing to go on journey, if the club are willing to put him as one of highest earners and be the main man, surely that should mean something as an academy boy, feel like city have done everything possible, line got to be drawn somewhere. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, HengroveReds said:

Ian Gay comments below: 

Well, that’s the propaganda machine view from the club put out there then!!! 🤷🏻‍♂️

I’ll take it with a pinch of salt.

• Like 10

5 minutes ago, Graham76 said:

If we sell Conway and replace him with a new striker, what happens if our new striker gets injured?  Is one really enough?  

We'll buy 2 if he leaves.

IMHO he will not be here next season. The fee? well, some here are saying it is a minimum £5M others that it will be close to an English team tribunal payment (Not the overseas/Scottish £300k ). What is that? £1M ?

When fans don't like a player we want to "dump" them , when a player wants to see out a contract we get a mix of sour grapes (TC/HNM) or respect (Dasilva/James). When we sign a player in similar circumstances, say Bird, we are said to have done a good deal. 

If he is 4th/5th choice striker as suggested above, then it might as well be £300k.

There will be interest, but it is very early in the transfer jigsaw puzzle, few are showing their hand, and that will be no different for TC. What seems clearer is that we are not getting a notable fee. 

8 minutes ago, RollsRoyce said:

IMHO he will not be here next season. The fee? well, some here are saying it is a minimum £5M others that it will be close to an English team tribunal payment (Not the overseas/Scottish £300k ). What is that? £1M ?

When fans don't like a player we want to "dump" them , when a player wants to see out a contract we get a mix of sour grapes (TC/HNM) or respect (Dasilva/James). When we sign a player in similar circumstances, say Bird, we are said to have done a good deal. 

If he is 4th/5th choice striker as suggested above, then it might as well be £300k.

There will be interest, but it is very early in the transfer jigsaw puzzle, few are showing their hand, and that will be no different for TC. What seems clearer is that we are not getting a notable fee. 

Looks very much like a club comms to get their stance (all a bit bitter if you ask me) out there first asap.  All based of a Post article.  Talk about showing your hand.

Ages to go in the window.

Tommy in Germany.

No idea what club trying to achieve using Ian like this?

1 hour ago, HengroveReds said:

Ian Gay comments below: 

Clearly bollocks and you can hear Tinnions petulant manner coming through.

We are looking to sign a striker before Conway goes. If he gets sold then we will need/want two strikers. Otherwise it’s another summer of lies regarding transfers.

• Like 5

People always look for a silver bullet so to speak but multiple things can be true simultaneously. 

Conway wanted to leave a year go. Not sure if that’s true or not but actions do speak louder than words. 

Conway didn’t sign the offer in front of him. That we all know is true.

The offer would according to some have made him the clubs highest player, (or close to it) who knows if that is true or not. But on balance it’s probably true as the clubs current rumour controller is being fed scraps for the peons by we all know who 

Does Mannings style suit Conway. Of course not. We have been told what Mr Manning wants a thousand times and there is no reason to disbelieve it. Conway makes run after run for us  while the majority tip tap the ball around in the middle third. It’s the same as Wiemann under LJ

I have no problem with Conway not signing and it seems if rumour control is to be believed, that he has made that clear, unlike Micky Maynard. 

Point is, it’s is his career and what he knows is he didn’t make the initial jocko squad playing the stooge in Manningball. 

Going to Rangers or Celtic means he could be a hero in jock land with either of the bigotry boys. He’ll enjoy that right up to the first death threat. 

I can see a promoted club coming in and their CEO just sticking his fingers up to us one more time. But time will tell! 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

It’s such a shame that promising players feel they have to leave when they are in a team that is going to support their development. Semenyo showed patience and Bristol City afforded him a lot too, and it ended up great for both. 

Massengo on the other hand was loved by Pearson, but understandably frozen out as didn’t want to commit, and even though he has now spent a year in the Prem, seems to have gone no further in his development. 

Maybe putting my Bristol City blinkers on, but I can’t understand why a player like Tommy can’t see a great development path with a team that wants to back him, especially when a big move isn’t currently on the cards. That big move would come eventually, like it did with Antoine. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

7 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

It’s such a shame that promising players feel they have to leave when they are in a team that is going to support their development. Semenyo showed patience and Bristol City afforded him a lot too, and it ended up great for both. 

Massengo on the other hand was loved by Pearson, but understandably frozen out as didn’t want to commit, and even though he has now spent a year in the Prem, seems to have gone no further in his development. 

Maybe putting my Bristol City blinkers on, but I can’t understand why a player like Tommy can’t see a great development path with a team that wants to back him, especially when a big move isn’t currently on the cards. That big move would come eventually, like it did with Antoine. 

I think there's an element of him wanting what Scott has got. They were best mates, lived together, and I'm sure still speak regular. Though Scott probably now makes in a month what Conway makes in 3, and Scott's probably telling him about their flight up to Anfield while Conways mid coach journey back from Hull. 

29 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Does Mannings style suit Conway. Of course not. We have been told what Mr Manning wants a thousand times and there is no reason to disbelieve it. Conway makes run after run for us  while the majority tip tap the ball around in the middle third.

What Manning wants doesn't seem to match what Tinnion said we wanted. Due diligence eh?

Tommy certainly doesn't suit being a lone striker with little support and service.

Shortly after Manning joined Tommy said he had been told not to make runs in behind. He was promised we would be getting behind the defence to supply him with cutbacks. Not much sign of that happening.

Who knows what happens next but in development terms he needs a club that builds on his strengths rather than working against them.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Dredd said:

I think there's an element of him wanting what Scott has got. They were best mates, lived together, and I'm sure still speak regular. Though Scott probably now makes in a month what Conway makes in 3, and Scott's probably telling him about their flight up to Anfield while Conways mid coach journey back from Hull. 

But he is not at the level that Scott was when he left, surely he has someone advising him this! 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Well, that’s the propaganda machine view from the club put out there then!!! 🤷🏻‍♂️

I’ll take it with a pinch of salt.

Do we refer to Ian as Lord Haw-Haw now then?

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Looks very much like a club comms to get their stance (all a bit bitter if you ask me) out there first asap.  All based of a Post article.  Talk about showing your hand.

Ages to go in the window.

Tommy in Germany.

No idea what club trying to achieve using Ian like this?

To look unprofessional.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

perspective could be that TC feels that the lone striker role in a mid-Champ team, that isn’t particularly free scoring or creative, isn’t where he wants to be and ain’t good for his development/prospects and if this were the case I would not be at all surprised.  

I know the grass ain’t always greener but he has decided (for whatever reasons) that his future is elsewhere, which is certainly his right to decide. 
So the club now need to maximise their return and get a great replacement. 

• Like 2

I think fair play to Tommy! Could be playing in front of 75000 tomorrow at a massive stadium. What an achievement! Any city fan should be proud regardless of the circumstances which surround him at this moment in time. I for one will take my hat off!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CyderHead92 said:

I think fair play to Tommy! Could be playing in front of 75000 tomorrow at a massive stadium. What an achievement! Any city fan should be proud regardless of the circumstances which surround him at this moment in time. I for one will take my hat off!

I agree.

However if your big stadium happens to be North of the Border I would suggest he might want to be aware of his denomination! Its a fuckfest of sectarian bullshit up there on a Saturday. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, HengroveReds said:

Ian Gay comments below: 

There are right & wrong ways to leave a club-This is the wrong way & entirely of Tommy's doing

I'm going to call this out for the bullshit that it is. 

This isn't a Fammy situation. I assume that's considered the wrong way to leave the club. 

Tommy has been nothing but professional. He hasn't stopped trying. He's not handed in a transfer request. He's not removed us from his socials. He's not said he'd sign a contract and then done a u turn. He's not shat up Brian Tinnions office wall. 

All he's done is not signed a contract. I'm not even sure if he's even rejected the contract. Probably just left it on the table. 

So how is that a wrong way to leave a club? 

Mr Manning demanded an early resolution to this in public with the full knowledge that Tommy would be involved in Scotland U21s at the least.

The club set themselves an unrealistic deadline of Tommys future being decided and are now getting really petty because that unrealistic deadline has seemingly passed. 

Our club is throwing the toys out of the pram because it can't get its own way. I very much doubt if Tommy has even given much thought of his future over the past few weeks as hes been focused on the small matter of earning a place at and preparing for the Euros. 

Tommy is in Germany on the eve of participating in one of the biggest football competitions in the world and here's our club putting out propaganda. That's the wrong way to act! 

• Like 9
  • Facepalm 3

Isn't the club entitled to throw their toys out a bit? He's a player they've trained and developed since he was 9 years old and at the first sniff of a move he wants out, and while he's at a reduced value, despite the club trying for 12 months to make him one of the best paid players at the club aged 21. 
The club hasn't put out any propaganda btw, all they've done is wish him luck in the Euros

• Like 5
  • Hmmm 1

34 minutes ago, Dredd said:

Isn't the club entitled to throw their toys out a bit? He's a player they've trained and developed since he was 9 years old and at the first sniff of a move he wants out, and while he's at a reduced value, despite the club trying for 12 months to make him one of the best paid players at the club aged 21. 
The club hasn't put out any propaganda btw, all they've done is wish him luck in the Euros

It's unprofessional. 

In return for that Tommy has honoured the contract he signed. Tommy hasn't handed in a transfer request. All he's done is not sign a new contract which is his right. We could have given him a juicy 5 year contract when he first broke through. We chose not to do that. 

When he's sold this summer it will because we have decided that rather than him leaving at the end of his contract, we'd like to cash in now. Seemingly Tommy may be open to a move. He may decide to just run his contract down, that's his right.

I'm not sure his value is reduced as much if at all as people make out. Bobby Reid left here for 10 million with 12 months left on his contract. 

So what if he'd become the best paid player here. That is still likely to be significantly less than he'd earn elsewhere. Why would a player turn down significantly more money to plod along at a mid table Championship club? 

You only have to read this thread to see the propaganda the club is putting out.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, HengroveReds said:

Ian Gay comments below: 

Suggesting Conway would be a 4th/5th choice striker at every prem club is the silliest thing i’ve ever heard, talk about losing your head. 

Can comfortably name at least 5 prem teams he’d be minimum second choice striker for based on their current teams. 

Im as unhappy as anyone about conway leaving and feel he could probably do with one more year at our level. 

But he’s not handled this situation poorly has he? Hasn’t ranted to the media about wanting a move (Ivan Toney style), hasn’t talked negatively about the club and hasn’t dropped off as his contract came to a close like good ol fammy. 

This stupid “he’s not all that” stuff as soon as a player looks anywhere up is incredibly petty. 

Edit: Not suggesting 5 Prem teams will come in for him, but seeing as we don’t know who’s interested or how heavily there’s no real point speculating yet, if he does end up going to another championship club i will go mental however 😂

Edited by George Rs
  • Like 2
  • Flames 1

Ian’s reply to my tweet on X was it’s not come from the club, it’s just his view in replying to the Post article and him talking to agents and he might be wrong…..Hmmmmmm!

• Haha 6

3 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

It's unprofessional. 

Again, show me where the club has been outwardly unprofessional  Your opinion on who speaks for the club in an unofficial capacity isn't shared by all and is in no way confirmed  

In return for that Tommy has honoured the contract he signed. Tommy hasn't handed in a transfer request. All he's done is not sign a new contract which is his right. We could have given him a juicy 5 year contract when he first broke through. We chose not to do that. 

When he's sold this summer it will because we have decided that rather than him leaving at the end of his contract, we'd like to cash in now. Seemingly Tommy may be open to a move. He may decide to just run his contract down, that's his right.

It's absolutely his right, I'm not arguing that at all I'm just offering my opinion on why he might see the path that his best mate is on and want a piece of that. Not signing the contract is as good as a transfer request as the club have made it clear they will cash in on players rather than let them go for free. You seem to be suggesting that it's the club driving the situation when the power has been in Conways hands until this point.

I'm not sure his value is reduced as much if at all as people make out. Bobby Reid left here for 10 million with 12 months left on his contract. 

I'd be astonished if we got more than 6m for him, and that's being wildly optimistic.  He'd have to lead a Scottish run to the quarters at least for us to be looking at any more than that (and if it means more money for us then I hope he does)