IGNORED

Tommy Conway Baby

REDOXO

3 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

Why would he? We're looking at it as club supporters wanting the best for our club, whereas he is merely an employee.

Removing the football element, if you can make yourself attractive to another employer that you want to work for by having a skill set they want and making it easier for you to transition over to them by having a shorter notice period, then you would do it without a second thought. Loyalty counts for nothing in business, especially in football. 

I think it's a bit naive in this day and world for a player to sign a new contract with a club simply for the purposes of maximising that club's asset whilst at the same time making him less attractive as a commercial proposition to the interested party, especially if there is a chunky signing on fee on offer by having no contract (or a rapidly diminishing contract term in place).

Now if he were to refuse to play whilst still in contract then that would be a very different topic.

This ⬆️⬆️⬆️

31 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

Exactly why we should fight to keep him , to show to Tommy and others , our ambition is real and not just words

What if we've made him our top offer? There obviously is a point when he wants more than we can (or are prepared) to offer him. Yes, this has some flexibility, and that's where the leadership need to be clear on what they want and their decision making.

If we aren't going to increase our current offer  (or are already resigned to losing TC for 'footballing reasons' i.e. he wants to play in a higher league/for a better club) then we need to try and shift Tommy post euros.

• Like 1

I don't see he has done anything wrong. He holds all the cards it's entirely up to him if he wants to sign a contract and up to the club if they want to sell him now or let him wind down the contract. I don't get the impression that he'll down tools if he is still with us next season.

• Like 2

We all look at this as fans and want our best players to be loyal and true. Nobody thinks of this when they talk in derogatory terms about Harry Cornick for example. Any loyalty then is quickly forgotten.

I really feel that TC under the previous manager and set up stays. With Manning, he plays as a lone striker and has to do a lot of hard running, so can't be enjoying the football as much.

His stock is high, he has the media attention, he's in the shop window. Wisely, he will use the Euros as a springboard to getting a potential big move to a Rangers or a Celtic. Then he's playing in front of larger crowds every other week, playing in European competitions and a better chance of winning silverware and medals playing in Scotland, irrespective of the standard.

If anybody realistically thinks after all of the aforementioned that he will come back to a provincial mid table second tier football team and be happy with his lot then you seriously need to wake up and smell the coffee. 

He has an opportunity, his contract as such makes him even more of an acquirable asset. Good luck to him whichever way he decides to choose.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

15 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Yes. Tinnions body language was very telling whilst discussing Tommy. 

Last summer Scott went with our best wishes but there seems to be a different feel to Tommys situation. 

I also think that the no 9 we want to bring in, is Tommys replacement. We will of course be happy for Tommy to stay but I don't think we'll bring bring in the no 9 + another striker if Tommy goes. 

I have no insight but I get the feeling Tommy didnt like the management changes.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

11 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Or they could just change it so that only actual countries can have a national team.

:laugh: - wiping out Scotland, Wales and N.Ireland in one swoop. 

Anyhoo, back to Conway.

I’ve no energy for speculation of this or that or the other (but here i go anyways) - we might sell him or keep him. He might get injured at the Euros and never kick a ball again. Who knows!

Well done to him for getting selected. And hopefully he does well.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

My point exactly.... 

You would presumably go further, and must think it's preposterous that Conway can play for Scotland. Or does it only apply to Wales players? 🤔

Are you Welsh or something? Sorry if using them as an example offended you

• Hmmm 1

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

We will obviously have our opinions on Conway the player, but the hardest bit to opine on is the mind of a pro footballer…because it’s just not like a normal job.  We try to get inside their heads and “if I were him I’d do this or that”, but it’s so hard because we don’t know what’s actually gone on, what’s been offered, who’s interested, etc.

But whilst he’s still a City player I will congratulate him on his call up to the Scotland Senior squad.

And until he shows signs of not putting it in on the pitch for City he will get my support at AG.  He’s not failed to do that during 23/24 having not signed the contract.  Where has the disloyalty come from?  What’s changed?  Apart from the time left on his current deal, nothing.  And all that does is change the pros and cons of a decision that needs to be made by LM and those above him.

Claims of disloyalty make me laugh. He signed a 3 year contract. He's so far 2 years through that. He's under no obligation to sign a new contract.

When we gave him a new contract we should have done the 3+1. Or renegotiated his contract as soon as he cemented his place in the 1st team. 

If Tommy is sold this summer then that will be a club decision. Yes influenced by the fact his contract is expiring and our desire to not see him leave for compensation. 

There has been no signs on the pitch that Tommys head is elsewhere. 

Personally Mannings comments regarding Tommy didn't sit too well with me. Didn't he say something along the lines of "sometimes a player outgrows the club but this hasn't happened with Tommy"? A month later and Tommy is off to the Euros 🤣🤣

Where this fits into Manning demanding a quick resolution now Tommy is off to the Euros I do not know. Tommy won't be back for pre season now until mid July ish.

4 hours ago, headhunter said:

I actually recall him saying they are signing a striker even if he says. Different type of striker and, let's be honest, has Tommy "enjoyed" the role he's being asked to play under Manning?

I also remember him saying something like "if he stays he'll have to compete with this new striker" so if you're Tommy Conway the deal on the table is less than you'd get elsewhere and you won't be considered as the preferred striker at a mid table club. It must be such a difficult decision for Tommy to make 🤣

I've spoken about this a lot. But Manning came in and basically told Tommy to stop being Tommy Conway. Manning wanted to reshape Tommy to fit into Mannings system. Is that the right thing for Tommy Conway or for Liam Manning? 

To be fair to Tommy he was fully on board with this. He withdrew from the Scotland training camp to have that on the grass coaching time with Manning. 

Tommy did everything Manning asked and then looked a shadow of his former self. 

I do have questions why Manning would rather reshape Tommy rather than play to his strengths but maybe that's a conversation for another day. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Claims of disloyalty make me laugh. He signed a 3 year contract. He's so far 2 years through that. He's under no obligation to sign a new contract.

When we gave him a new contract we should have done the 3+1. Or renegotiated his contract as soon as he cemented his place in the 1st team. 

If Tommy is sold this summer then that will be a club decision. Yes influenced by the fact his contract is expiring and our desire to not see him leave for compensation. 

There has been no signs on the pitch that Tommys head is elsewhere. 

Personally Mannings comments regarding Tommy didn't sit too well with me. Didn't he say something along the lines of "sometimes a player outgrows the club but this hasn't happened with Tommy"? A month later and Tommy is off to the Euros 🤣🤣

Where this fits into Manning demanding a quick resolution now Tommy is off to the Euros I do not know. Tommy won't be back for pre season now until mid July ish.

I also remember him saying something like "if he stays he'll have to compete with this new striker" so if you're Tommy Conway the deal on the table is less than you'd get elsewhere and you won't be considered as the preferred striker at a mid table club. It must be such a difficult decision for Tommy to make 🤣

I've spoken about this a lot. But Manning came in and basically told Tommy to stop being Tommy Conway. Manning wanted to reshape Tommy to fit into Mannings system. Is that the right thing for Tommy Conway or for Liam Manning? 

To be fair to Tommy he was fully on board with this. He withdrew from the Scotland training camp to have that on the grass coaching time with Manning. 

Tommy did everything Manning asked and then looked a shadow of his former self. 

I do have questions why Manning would rather reshape Tommy rather than play to his strengths but maybe that's a conversation for another day. 

He would 100% have signed a new contract if NP had not been replaced!

* I'm just being a bit childish because I'm bored at work. Apologies.

1 minute ago, supercidered said:

He would 100% have signed a new contract if NP had not been replaced!

* I'm just being a bit childish because I'm bored at work. Apologies.

I'm not totally sure he would have. 

However I think his close relationship with Nige would have been a big tick in the box and the fact Nigel has turned players into household names.

I do think he'd have got more goals too had Nige stayed. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Grey Fox said:

Exactly why we should fight to keep him , to show to Tommy and others , our ambition is real and not just words

Once again the horse has bolted. If we showed some ambition him & others before him may have stayed & we may have been in the prem by now. There's a pattern & they can see it so can't blame them for saying "sod it, my club isn't ambitious but I am so I'm not hanging around to tread water"

It's good that we get a brief association with his rise to stardom but also demoralising from a club point of view as we realise we probably won't see him in a city shirt again.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, REDOXO said:

Thought he should have his own thread rather than a few posts in The Scotland Thread

For anyone living on the moon or Horefield Conway had just been called up for Scotland!

Heard from a good source that it looks like he’ll be off. Had his head turned?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Let’s be real here, gents - if he wanted to stay he would’ve signed by now. The kid seen his best pal move to the prem and he wants a taste of higher level football too. Who can blame him? Good luck to him.

Edited by RedEyez
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Grey Fox said:

Agent in his ear telling him that he can triple his wages. 
what would you do?

Personally I don’t think he’s as good as he thinks he is. Most of his goals last season were penalties. He should stay and develop his game. 

• Facepalm 2

21 minutes ago, marksy said:

Heard from a good source that it looks like he’ll be off. Had his head turned?

I think that’s inevitable really. It probably didn’t take too much to turn his head after he talks to his mate. 

Hopefully he will get a goal and a couple of games and attracts multiple clubs. Ipswich would be one that you might think. But probably Bournemouth!!

Your source speculate on where?

If there was any chance at all of him signing a deal then the Scotland call-up has just ended that. I wish him well and hope he has a good tournament so we can get a better price and then it’s on to the next. Sam Bells injury should mean we get another 12 months out of him but realistically there is little a club like ours can do once a young players profile rises. The annual ‘sign a new deal’ scenario followed by an exit shows no sign of easing off. I don’t think that he will be the only player leaving in the window either so I’m hoping our recruitment is spot on.

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

I think that’s inevitable really. It probably didn’t take too much to turn his head after he talks to his mate. 

Hopefully he will get a goal and a couple of games and attracts multiple clubs. Ipswich would be one that you might think. But probably Bournemouth!!

Your source speculate on where?

Really good source but said he thinks he’ll be off? Don’t know where but thinks he’s had his head turned. 
I asked how much for and he recons about £5 million. 
Personally I don’t think he’s Worth that. 

like I said, a really good source but not set in stone. 

On a side note he also told me Cavalho on loan at Hull from Liverpool was on £50 Grand a week. 
no wonder Rosenior got the sack when they didn’t make the playoffs 

Edited by marksy
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, marksy said:

Really good source but said he thinks he’ll be off? Don’t know where but thinks he’s had his head turned. 

On a side note he also told me Cavalho on loan at Hull from Liverpool was on £50 Grand a week. 

Hopefully Roseniors termination letter was appropriately stamped. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, maxjak said:

Austin Powers reference...........?   It is a bit lame?

Am I the only one who sings Tommy Conway Baby to the tune of don’t you want me??

Blimey! 😂 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, REDOXO said:

Am I the only one who sings Tommy Conway Baby to the tune of don’t you want me??

Blimey! 😂 

The saddest of ironies being that he doesn’t want us 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 1

• Admin
On 04/06/2024 at 20:25, REDOXO said:

Thought he should have his own thread rather than a few posts in The Scotland Thread

For anyone living on the moon or Horefield Conway had just been called up for Scotland!

I'm sure there are those that will be interested to know that the Scotland game against Finland (Friday night) is live on BBC Scotland - channel 187 on Sky

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, phantom said:

I'm sure there are those that will be interested to know that the Scotland game against Finland (Friday night) is live on BBC Scotland - channel 187 on Sky

I’m currently in Scotland but will be at Murrayfield then for the Taylor Swift concert 👍 one of the joys of having two teenage daughters! https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/tommy-conway-needs-one-scotland-32969025

• Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, 2015 said:

The most overrated striker we've ever had

He's come through our academy and has over 80 championship appearances and 20 goals at age 21. I'd say that's not half bad...

• Like 12

4 minutes ago, Nathandao said:

He's come through our academy and has over 80 championship appearances and 20 goals at age 21. I'd say that's not half bad...

How many were penalties..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

So in 80 games he's scored 15 non penalty goals which is around 1 goal every 5 games from open play. That's not the best and a far cry from Scotland strikers of the very distant past now.

Don't get me wrong he's ok, but he isn't anywhere near what some on OTIB make him out to be when compared to plenty of other strikers i've seen down at City over the years. 

I think it's best for both he doesn't sign a new contract.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 2015 said:

So in 80 games he's scored 15 non penalty goals which is around 1 goal every 5 games from open play. That's not the best and a far cry from Scotland strikers of the very distant past now.

Don't get me wrong he's ok, but he isn't anywhere near what some on OTIB make him out to be when compared to plenty of other strikers i've seen down at City over the years. 

And yet he’s been named by EFL experts NTT20 above as one of the very best youngsters in the EFL for the second season in a row 

• Like 3

Just now, And Its Smith said:

And yet he’s been named by EFL experts NTT20 above as one of the very best youngsters in the EFL for the second season in a row 

Football is a game of opinions my friend. That's fine they think that, but I don't think he's that good. He is ok.

23 minutes ago, 2015 said:

:rofl2br:

• Like 1

18 hours ago, marksy said:

I like Tommy but clearly he's going and not sure we can blame club that much. We are a championship club, it is what it is, and chances to force a move to a higher league on better pay don't come around every year so he's taking his chance. We expect the same when it comes to our previous targets in leagues below (Rudoni, Currie etc).  

If we can get 6m quid and a decent sell on if he fulfils potential, that's not a terrible deal for club.

Would love us to take a risk on Max Dean, even if we get a 'proven' striker as well. And that would seem doable with a reasonable financial return from Tommy. (I would say, I have absolutely no reason to think that is who we would go after).

4 hours ago, phantom said:

Ooooh. For those of us in the colonies can someone post a dodgy stream please!?

1 hour ago, 2015 said:

Football is a game of opinions my friend. That's fine they think that, but I don't think he's that good. He is ok.

It is and some people are more qualified to opine than others.  NTT20 know a lot more about football and the EFL than me and you! 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

It is and some people are more qualified to opine than others.  NTT20 know a lot more about football and the EFL than me and you! 

And how many games of Tommy Conway have they watched? Or just seen highlights 

3 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

And how many games of other players have you watched to compare Conway to others his age?

For CITY:

Tammy Abraham who was younger whilst with us and far more prolific.

Leroy Lita who was also younger and a far better all round striker.

I'd go as far as saying Semenyo at 21/22 was also an all round better forward.

Just now, MarcusX said:

Not a chance 😂

I remember arguing all the time about how atrocious Steven Davies was

Was Davies ever rated that highly? But yeah he was a bit of a donkey.

Conway has been quoted being worth over 5 million numerous times and I honestly am astonished anyone watches him and thinks he's worth anywhere near that.

It's a game of opinions.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 2015 said:

For CITY:

Tammy Abraham who was younger whilst with us and far more prolific.

Leroy Lita who was also younger and a far better all round striker.

I'd go as far as saying Semenyo at 21/22 was also an all round better forward.

See I think this is where memory plays tricks. Lita never played for us at this level so comparing the two is somewhat naive.  Semenyo and Abraham were obviously better but then they are now playing top flight football so that’s hardly surprising. That’s not to say that Conway isn’t very good, just because he’s not as good as those two.  Some odd comparisons.  

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 1

Lewis Morgan's been called up as well know who has bagged a lot of goals in MLS.

Maybe Clarke thought Tommy was honking in training and got someone else in straight away? 🤣

Bloke called up for Scotland who has been at our club since he was aged seven. 

Blokes on here saying said player despite being called into a squad playing in the European championship is a bit crap and or has no loyalty. 

I love free speech! 

For the record our worst forward in my over sixty years was probably Steve Jones, closely followed by quite a few utterly awful football players  none of whom got near a cap in a major tournament! 

4 hours ago, 2015 said:

Was Davies ever rated that highly? But yeah he was a bit of a donkey.

Conway has been quoted being worth over 5 million numerous times and I honestly am astonished anyone watches him and thinks he's worth anywhere near that.

It's a game of opinions.

I seem to recall always arguing that Davies was continuously looking uninterested and did very little off the ball, was like playing with 10 men while others thought he was brilliant. Never went on to much else after us either. There’s probably a few others we could debate but that sprang to my mind immediately.

I’d agree I’m not sure he’s worth that after this season, certainly showed promise before injury though. I also think our way of playing has stifled him personally but as you say that’s an opinion.

8 hours ago, 2015 said:

If we had had a quality ball playing midfielder providing decent service I believe he would have scored more goals?

• Like 3

Just now, maxjak said:

If we had had a quality ball playing midfielder providing decent service I believe he would have scored more goals?

In Mannings early games I seem to remember him missing quite a few opportunities. 

I’m off the opinion I’d rather have him than not, however if we received a good fee and reinvested it ( we won’t) then I wouldn’t lose any sleep. I do think he is over rated by some.

I do think the system doesn’t suit him. 

• Like 1

This is Conways shop window to gain some suitors. Still can't see him signing a new contract so this call up can only benefit us from a sale perspective should he perform well.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

See I think this is where memory plays tricks. Lita never played for us at this level so comparing the two is somewhat naive.  Semenyo and Abraham were obviously better but then they are now playing top flight football so that’s hardly surprising. That’s not to say that Conway isn’t very good, just because he’s not as good as those two.  Some odd comparisons.  

I have to agree with you, I think this is why we're talking about £5m not £10-20m.

But that being said Conway had a bad run this season because the team had a bad run.  He also thrives off combining with other players that's been missing this season, certainly the Scott element.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

But that being said Conway had a bad run this season because the team had a bad run.  He also thrives off combining with other players that's been missing this season, certainly the Scott element.

If he was playing in a set-up / style more suited to his skills, and had another 4-5 goals (not unrealistic), and had 16-17 to his name, it would be a different style.

I got laughed at for saying LM’s style in those dull months was devaluing Conway (ditto Pring imho), but that’s what’s happened.  Plus it’s not given him much incentive to want to extend his contract either.  Our most saleable asset in the squad and imho we’ve lost “some” millions off of his price tag.

• Like 9
  • Flames 2

Out of interest, what do people think we need to do to get the best out of Conway?

For me, he looks best suited in a Counter Attacking team playing on the break, last season he was asked to hold the ball up for long periods of times and that's clearly not his game. I actually think he's better at it though than people give him credit for but there's only so much he can do and last season the ask was too much. Think he went from being able to run in behind and run at players for the first half of the season to needing to play with his back to goal a lot more during the second part.

The brief given publicly seems to be we want a physical number 9 but other than take Conway's place I don't see what value that would add to him. We were desperate last season to get people playing a lot closer to him and even though we tried with the weird lopsided one winger wide, one tucking in he was far too isolated. I actually think last year I'd have given Cornick a run centrally with Conway. Think having two 'busy bee's' would have been much more effective and think Cornick does have something to offer in a front two partnership. (Rather than playing as a lone striker like we've seen previous from when he's played centrally).

Would like to see us lining up more with two up front and think we're a much better team with Conway in it than we would be without it. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hinsleburg said:

Out of interest, what do people think we need to do to get the best out of Conway?

Create a system that provides him with crosses, cut backs and plays him in behind 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

I have a different opinion on Conway - personally I think he’s seriously overrated by many City fans and I’m not convinced that he’d be first choice at any other top Championship club.

I get that he was City’s top goalscorer last season with 12 league goals including penalties but  he’s never struck me as reliable especially with one on ones nor is he a poacher as Tony ‘tap in’ Thorpe was - a player who scored over 50 goals for City.

For Conway to get called up into the senior Scotland squad just shows how thin they are up top.

Tbh - it wouldn’t bother me one iota if he doesn’t sign a new deal. The drawback is obviously the financial hit City would take when he leaves on a free but putting that aside he could leave tomorrow as far as I’m concerned.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

I have a different opinion on Conway - personally I think he’s seriously overrated by many City fans and I’m not convinced that he’d be first choice at any other top Championship club.

I get that he was City’s top goalscorer last season with 12 league goals including penalties but  he’s never struck me as reliable especially with one on ones nor is he a poacher as Tony ‘tap in’ Thorpe was - a player who scored over 50 goals for City.

For Conway to get called up into the senior Scotland squad just shows how thin they are up top.

Tbh - it wouldn’t bother me one iota if he doesn’t sign a new deal. The drawback is obviously the financial hit City would take when he leaves on a free but putting that aside he could leave tomorrow as far as I’m concerned.

How you doing mate? Haven’t been on here for a while and using an old user name. 
Thanks for that chat a few years ago👍

Think if you take away he’s been at our club since the year blah and he and his family are city fans blah blah blah you would lose a lot of the enthusiasm that you have for Tommy , he’s ok can be pretty decent at times bit still very much a work in progress , personally I think there is a player in there somewhere but needs coaching and developing the problem is I think he and his agent and people around him thinks he is better than he is to me there lies the problem and this Scotland call up is only going to inflate that , 

if he signs a contract gets his head down and keeps learning I’m happy with that 

if not sell asap and hopefully the jock call up will inflate his price 

28 minutes ago, marksy said:

How you doing mate? Haven’t been on here for a while and using an old user name. 
Thanks for that chat a few years ago👍

You’ll have to remind me Marksy.