IGNORED

Tommy Conway Baby

REDOXO

30 minutes ago, hinsleburg said:

Out of interest, what do people think we need to do to get the best out of Conway?

For me, he looks best suited in a Counter Attacking team playing on the break, last season he was asked to hold the ball up for long periods of times and that's clearly not his game. I actually think he's better at it though than people give him credit for but there's only so much he can do and last season the ask was too much. Think he went from being able to run in behind and run at players for the first half of the season to needing to play with his back to goal a lot more during the second part.

The brief given publicly seems to be we want a physical number 9 but other than take Conway's place I don't see what value that would add to him. We were desperate last season to get people playing a lot closer to him and even though we tried with the weird lopsided one winger wide, one tucking in he was far too isolated. I actually think last year I'd have given Cornick a run centrally with Conway. Think having two 'busy bee's' would have been much more effective and think Cornick does have something to offer in a front two partnership. (Rather than playing as a lone striker like we've seen previous from when he's played centrally).

Would like to see us lining up more with two up front and think we're a much better team with Conway in it than we would be without it. 

⬇️⬇️⬇️

22 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Create a system that provides him with crosses, cut backs and plays him in behind 

Definitely part of the solution, and something LM said he’d try to do after his first game v QPR (a), then reneged on in a later interview when he said (paraphrased) “Tommy is going to have get used to different chances”.

The other answer, to reference @hinsleburg is that he’s not involved in open play very much.  When he does come short to join-in, nobody runs the other way, so we don’t either bring markers out of position or create opportunity for losing markers in handing-off.  That’s easy to defend if you know in 10 seconds time TC will be back where he was prior to coming short.  That isn’t TC’s fault.  And as you say, and I agree, he is actually pretty neat and tidy in his link-up.  So, there’s little point in him joining-in, because then there’s nobody left up-front.  Which is why TC is more effective with players close to him - however you decide play those other players (not formation per se).  That isn’t to say he’s a one trip pony, ie he can’t play as a lone striker, we must play two strikers, imho, that cat can be skinned multiple ways.  

Its often why teams end up passing it in front of the opposition defence, going nowhere, especially when it’s taken so long to get the ball forward and the defence is set.

I think most strikers would struggle playing the way we played (predominantly) under LM.

So I can see why Tinnion is now suggesting the “new no9” needs to be able to:

• run in behind
  • stretch the opposition defence

Which funnily enough is part of TC’s skillset.  

I think he’s rowed back a bit on the physical / presence bit of the requirement, possibly in the face of there not being any / many really good all-rounders in our recruitment pool.

But how the revised profile no9 fits in with how LM wants to play feels a bit muddled at this point based on the historical evidence.

All I can do is wait for preseason / season to see if we overcome some of the issues we had last season, and see if that’s personnel related or system / intent related or a bit of both.

53 minutes ago, Robbored said:

You’ll have to remind me Marksy.

I messaged you privately a few years and we had a chat over the phone on a Sunday morning. I was struggling a bit and your lined of work came in handy. Doing fine now though. Gave the forum  a miss for a while after getting a ban for slagging of some left wing politician. Login back on took me to my first user name. 

Thought I’d come back on because of getting to know someone who’s in the know and is very reliable. 
It was him who told me we’re signing a very good Japanese winger. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

I have a different opinion on Conway - personally I think he’s seriously overrated by many City fans and I’m not convinced that he’d be first choice at any other top Championship club.

I get that he was City’s top goalscorer last season with 12 league goals including penalties but  he’s never struck me as reliable especially with one on ones nor is he a poacher as Tony ‘tap in’ Thorpe was - a player who scored over 50 goals for City.

For Conway to get called up into the senior Scotland squad just shows how thin they are up top.

Tbh - it wouldn’t bother me one iota if he doesn’t sign a new deal. The drawback is obviously the financial hit City would take when he leaves on a free but putting that aside he could leave tomorrow as far as I’m concerned.

On the official site they say he’s gurt ace so you are wrong. 
:cool2:

• Haha 1

The fact that Manning has rarely, if ever played two up top impacts on Conways performances. He’s not built to be a lone CF and why City need a ‘traditional’ CF who’s game encompasses all the attributes to be effective in that role - according to BT one is in the pipeline.

I don’t see Conway as a ‘natural born goalscorer’ at all. His game about pace, getting in behind trying to create opportunities but he lacks that ‘right place, right time’ instinct. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

I don’t see Conway as a ‘natural born goalscorer’ at all. His game about pace, getting in behind trying to create opportunities but he lacks that ‘right place, right time’ instinct. 

Whilst he is a willing runner and has enough pace to play off the shoulder without being outright rapid, i still think his main attributes are movement, finishing and the variety of those finishes.

Take his 2 goals at Rotherham as an example. Both different, both excellent finishes in their own way. First one he drops the shoulder and works the space for an excellent bending finish, the other about as natural, right time right place a finish as you are going to get, lovely deft touch.

15 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I don’t see Conway as a ‘natural born goalscorer’ at all. His game about pace, getting in behind trying to create opportunities but he lacks that ‘right place, right time’ instinct

That is perhaps your worst ever take 

• Like 3
  • Flames 4

56 minutes ago, Robbored said:

The fact that Manning has rarely, if ever played two up top impacts on Conways performances. He’s not built to be a lone CF and why City need a ‘traditional’ CF who’s game encompasses all the attributes to be effective in that role - according to BT one is in the pipeline.

How can a traditional centre encompass all the attributes to be effective in that role.  By its nature the traditional CF is limited in his own way! 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

If you don’t see Conway as a finisher, well…

39 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

That is perhaps your worst ever take 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Hes very much a natural goal scorer . How you can’t see that I don’t know . 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

It’s my opinion Stevie. We’ve seen plenty of natural goalscorers over the years, Bob Taylor, Baldock, Lita, Tony Thorpe and even Maynard and to me Conway isn’t as a natural finisher as these guys were.

As I posted earlier Conway doesn’t have that ‘right place, right time’ instinct - how many tap ins did he get? ……:dunno:

I accept that he’s been limited under Manning who played with either TC or Wells, never as a two iirc. It was normally one up top and we all know that that was a problem when getting wide with just one City shirt in the box - that happened numerous time last season.

A traditional CF similar to Chris Wood needs to have  the physical qualities that Conway doesn’t have but TC would definitely benefit from having a strike partner, maybe then he’d get more tap ins.

1 hour ago, steviestevieneville said:

He’s pretty good at taking penalties, I’ll give him that. 
When he goes he’ll either develop into a decent striker or eventually end up in league1. 
I’ve seen some class goal scorers play for City over the years and he’s not one of them. 
Shame he won’t stay with us really!

4 minutes ago, marksy said:

I’ve seen some class goal scorers play for City over the years and he’s not one of them. 

In fairness to Tommy, how many of those were 21 when they played for us? Not many i'd guess and where were they at a similar age, experience?

We don't have a long list of top goal scorers at this level. He's at least good enough for a mid table Championship side and still has time to develop further. He might not fulfil his potential but its certainly there.

14 minutes ago, marksy said:

Indeed. Another one to fly the nest :sad26:

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Back to back double figure goal tally’s in a relatively unprolific team is not exactly bad is it? 

Shown real moments of quality as well, rotherham game etc. 

Is he the next Harry Kane? Probably not. 

But no clue how someone can write him off as not being a good goal scorer at his age with his current accomplishments.

Edited by George Rs
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, marksy said:

He’s pretty good at taking penalties, I’ll give him that. 
When he goes he’ll either develop into a decent striker or eventually end up in league1. 

I’m not so sure . He was starved of service last season. What makes me think he’s a natural finisher his goal v Cardiff at home . The movement across his marker & the glanced header The finish at West Ham . There have been plenty of others as well . Finishing like the two above I believe are natural , instinctive . He’s no Andy cole but I think he’s a natural goal scorer . 

• Like 2

It’s not possible to call someone overrated because it’s subjective.

Nobody knows how someone else rates a player, particularly in relation to another player or in what context.

I don’t think anyone can argue that Conway isn’t a good player though. If we’re going to succeed then we need good players. We could do with keeping hold of him but if he wants to leave then it’s  all about getting the best deal we can. 

Right now though, I’m pleased that one of our players is competing at an international tournament and I’ll be hoping he does well. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tim Monaghan said:

I see City have removed the video they posted earlier 😂

The video asked RM, JW and Tommy who are going to be the top 3 teams at the Euros.

RM said Scotland, France and Germany 

JW - Spain, France and England 

Then Tommy - France, England and Germany 

He didn’t even mention Scotland 😂😂😂

What was Tommy thinking! And even worse, why would the media team not pick him up on it and then post it.

Cut him open and he bleeds tartan 😂

11 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Neither City starting, was going to watch it, but now might just watch last 20 minutes .

As soon as Southgate starts making subs 2nd half i'll probably switch.

• Like 2

Just now, Lanterne Rouge said:

Got it on mute on the tv with the Kent v Somerset T20 on the laptop.

Bloody sports addict! I would never do such a thing😂

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Got it on mute on the tv with the Kent v Somerset T20 on the laptop.

I debated that but object to Kent being the only ones in county cricket who charge for a stream. Robbing bar stewards.

• Like 1

Considering he received very little service....I thought TC did well, hopefully he will get a chance in Germany, he's a natural goalscorer.   The worry for Scotland is at the back, they're'  gonna   concede a few goals

3 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

I’m not so sure . He was starved of service last season. What makes me think he’s a natural finisher his goal v Cardiff at home . The movement across his marker & the glanced header The finish at West Ham . There have been plenty of others as well . Finishing like the two above I believe are natural , instinctive . He’s no Andy cole but I think he’s a natural goal scorer . 

Rotherham?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

The comms. were glowing about him tonight .

O Tommy boy, the comms the comms are glowing ...

Fun fact: words to Danny Boy were actually written by a chap from Portishead, birth registered in Bedminster! 

Edited by The Original OTIB
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Tim Monaghan said:

I see City have removed the video they posted earlier 😂

The video asked RM, JW and Tommy who are going to be the top 3 teams at the Euros.

RM said Scotland, France and Germany 

JW - Spain, France and England 

Then Tommy - France, England and Germany 

He didn’t even mention Scotland 😂😂😂

What was Tommy thinking! And even worse, why would the media team not pick him up on it and then post it.

Because he’s English and thinks as an Englishmen. 

1 hour ago, The Original OTIB said:

Fun fact: words to Danny Boy were actually written by a chap from Portishead, birth registered in Bedminster! 

I walk past his blue plaque quite regularly. A nice Victorian property looking across the channel.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Original OTIB said:

According to Wikipedia , he lived in the next road to me in Bath.

The 1911 census shows him aged 62 living at 12 Penn Lea Road, Lower Weston, Bath in Somerset with a Maude Eugenie Beatrice Weatherly, aged 53 from Esher in Surrey (who is recorded as his wife of nine years' standing), and their two servants. In fact Weatherly and his wife Minnie never divorced: Maude Francfort used the name Weatherly while they lived together as husband and wife in Bath. Minnie lived on in seclusion in Portishead, financially supported by her husband until her death in 1920. The children remained loyal to her. Some time after 1911, Frederic and Maude moved to Grosvenor Lodge (now St Christopher's) in Belmont Road, Combe Down, just outside Bath.[5]

I might pop round there this morning and see if the present residents realise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Robbored said:

There's none so blind that cannot see....

2 hours ago, The Original OTIB said:

His original words started:

O Danny boy, the pipes, the pipes are gurt lush

From Ashton Gate and down the harbourside

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Flames 1

Just now, downendcity said:

His original words started:

O Danny boy, the pipes, the pipes are gurt lush

From Ashton Gate and down the harbourside

He must have gone through a few iterations then, the first lines I saw were

"'Ark at they gurt pipes, Danny me babber

From 'artcliffe to the 'Meader"

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

According to Wikipedia , he lived in the next road to me in Bath.

The 1911 census shows him aged 62 living at 12 Penn Lea Road, Lower Weston, Bath in Somerset with a Maude Eugenie Beatrice Weatherly, aged 53 from Esher in Surrey (who is recorded as his wife of nine years' standing), and their two servants. In fact Weatherly and his wife Minnie never divorced: Maude Francfort used the name Weatherly while they lived together as husband and wife in Bath. Minnie lived on in seclusion in Portishead, financially supported by her husband until her death in 1920. The children remained loyal to her. Some time after 1911, Frederic and Maude moved to Grosvenor Lodge (now St Christopher's) in Belmont Road, Combe Down, just outside Bath.[5]

I might pop round there this morning and see if the present residents realise.

O Dolman P, that might be seen as stalking ...

• Haha 1

I am pleased for Tommy, however you have to laugh when a bloke born in the west country with a west country accent talks about the joy of playing for his country and he is referring to Scotland. 

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

6 hours ago, BS3_RED said:

I am pleased for Tommy, however you have to laugh when a bloke born in the west country with a west country accent talks about the joy of playing for his country and he is referring to Scotland. 

I am 50 percent Glaswegian , by dna, and for centuries it seems  . I do not sound or speak like that would be the case . I feel more English , but I always love to see Scotland doing well . These things are complex . Most of the England team will have a very interesting DNA . 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BS3_RED said:

Anyone remember Tony Cascarino playing for Ireland with absolutely no Irish heritage whatsoever? At least Conway has little bit of Scottish in him.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

When and who was the last City player to play for the Jocks first team, even Gow never managed that .

Paul Hartley was the only player to ever play a full international for Scotland whilst with us prior to last week.

Jamie McAllister was on the bench at least once as a City player but never got on.

We have trebled our Scottish internationals in a week.

• Thanks 2

On 08/06/2024 at 07:20, The Original OTIB said:

And the music is called the Londonderry Air. The tune was written in Limavady not too far from us. In fact, the roadsign welcoming you to Limavady says the home of Danny Boy.

Limavady is in County Londonderry.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 09/06/2024 at 23:04, Norn Iron said:

And the music is called the Londonderry Air. The tune was written in Limavady not too far from us. In fact, the roadsign welcoming you to Limavady says the home of Danny Boy.

Limavady is in County Londonderry.

Hi,

You indicate that you live in Londonderry, and I am intrigued as to whether you might have ever watched the series ‘Derry Girls’.

I have, and thoroughly enjoyed it, but am curious as to how it was received in Northern Ireland.

42 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Hi,

You indicate that you live in Londonderry, and I am intrigued as to whether you might have ever watched the series ‘Derry Girls’.

I have, and thoroughly enjoyed it, but am curious as to how it was received in Northern Ireland.

Hi Phil,

Very well indeed.

It was written by a Derry girl. There is even a muriel (mural) recently painted.

What is great is that anyone under 30 won't have any memory of 'The Troubles' so they won't want to be part of any new plan to join any terror unit. There will always be one or two who might be coerced etc, but basically it is a joy now to go into Belfast by train for a gig or whatever. It has a great atmosphere and is well worth a visit. 

Just like the Titanic with museums and places to visit because of that ship, there are tours to explain 'the troubles' both in Derry (95% of people call it that as it's easier) and Belfast.

Our son went to uni in Derry only a few years ago. In his first week, he went drinking in the town with his new student friends. A couple of Derry girls also at Uni said how much they liked his English accent!

Weirdly, he has been here since he was 4. Never lost his accent.

People would never have said  20 years ago,that they liked his accent in a Derry pub. Times are changing. I love going to Derry. 

If anyone needs a weekend break, Belfast or Derry/Londonderry (as the BBC etc call it) should be high on your list....in fact make it top of your list. If you're a golfer, let me know. The courses are that good.

• Thanks 1

Part of me thinks we've done 3 years of hard graft in respect of the finances so keep and go for it a little.

Take chances on compensation next summer or even a significant rise to the playoffs. Of course there are strong arguments to sell as well, primarily financial.

• Hmmm 1

Not a shock but think it’s good move from the club to cash in rather than the risk of running out the contract potential injury risk too and receive small compo. 

Guess it all depends on the asking price, Euro impact may change that. I’m guessing 2-3 million rather than the 5-8 mil stated in article. 

Cant blame the club here, done all they can, hopefully it works for TC but the grass isn’t always greener, won’t be a starter in a prem team that for sure. 

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

Just now, HengroveReds said:

Not a shock but think it’s good move from the club to cash in rather than the risk of running out the contract potential injury risk too and receive small compo. 

Guess it all depends on the asking price, Euro impact may change that. I’m guessing 2-3 million rather than the 5-8 mil stated in article. 

Cant blame the club here, done all they can, hopefully it works for TC but the grass isn’t always greener, won’t be a starter in a prem team that for sure. 

Agree on the last paragraph, he won't be a starter. The rest I'm less sure on.

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

Agree on the last paragraph, he won't be a starter. The rest I'm less sure on.

Guess it’s all dependent on replacements and who they can get in.  Big character and big boots to fill, scored some important goals for us. 

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Part of me thinks we've done 3 years of hard graft in respect of the finances so keep and go for it a little.

Take chances on compensation next summer or even a significant rise to the playoffs. Of course there are strong arguments to sell as well, primarily financial.

Then we keep a demotivated player who wants to be elsewhere & decreases in value every day.

I like Tommy a lot but he doesn’t want to play for us anymore.

Sell him & find someone who does.

• Like 10
  • Flames 1