IGNORED

Tommy Conway Baby

REDOXO

How long was Conway injured for?. He got a couple off the bench at Rovrum in his come back game did he not?  

After Mr Pearson was terminated The “style” Mr Manning wanted to play needed adaption from everyone and we were a bit (awful at times) crap as a side while people adapted. Several still haven’t fully adapted Sykes being the obvious one to me.

Tommy Conway is a very good forward who is a full international at a major tournament and has a year left on his contract. He has suitors for his obvious talent and is at a club that is obsessed with telling us all about a different type of striker. It’s little wonder the contract remains unsigned  

On the flip side Palmer Holden will get a run in preseason and hopefully TC will make the club some money. 

His value is going to be determined by the type of clubs looking at him and the possibility of more than one club wanting his services. So we will see! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Major Isewater said:

I well remember the ‘ Semenyo’s not a striker ‘ thread . Antoine wasn’t the finished article and neither is TC. What  any club will be looking at is potential growth and young Tommy Jock MacConway has loads. He scores goals and that is what every team needs. We mustn’t forget that he was injured this season but still managed double figures . 
I back him to push on if he is willing to learn. 

As do I, but there was also a very clear rawness to Semenyo, he needed polishing

Conway got 10 in the league in 39 games this season, 5 were penalties.

Even with the injury he played in the majority of the games and scored just 5 non penalty goals. I don't have a starts/subs rate or minutes played, but I'd wager he played in at least 2/3s of the minutes over the season.

2 of those goals were the (very good) sub appearance against Rotherham, leaving just 3 non penalty goals in 38 games which is a very concerning rate.

I will add that him converting well from the spot is a bonus in his favour.

I don't dislike Conway or think he's not good, but £5m for him is beyond optimistic and, putting aside knowledge we have from him being one of our players, if we were signing the equivalent player from another Championship club I'd be skeptical at £2m (but willing to give a chance, as I am for every signing).

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, marksy said:

I thought about £2 Million but was told City value him at £5 by someone who works at the club. 

Valued by the club at 5 million is laughable

There is no one out there that would pay anything near that 

Whatever happens if he goes it will be undisclosed 

City won’t want him to go for nothing next summer so will cash in 

46 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

If a young up and coming international striker was up for sale at one of our fellow Championship clubs 5 million quid wouldn’t seem excessive.

I would say that TC is on a par with Semenyo whilst being different types of player. 

Major 

Semenyo is/was a far better player than Conway 

That’s why Bournemouth paid so much for him. 

• Like 1

He doesn't want to be here from before Nige left, he's a good player who needs to adapt to our system as most clubs now play with a lone striker.

No surprise the club is hawking him around as he is at the Euro's, try and get as much return on him as possible.

How does that leave City? bad if we don't get recruitment right and replace him and improve the squad.

6 minutes ago, Graham76 said:

As much as I find Conway a bit arrogant at times, I do admire his self-belief.   

I know what you mean. He's got a young boxers attitude. Will probably take him a bit further than some.

It's how bad you want it sometimes and he's certainly driven to succeed.

Whilst this situation isn't ideal it feels a pretty natural parting of ways for me. Shame it's not 2 years on his contract but it is what it is.

All that's left is to hope he has a good Euros and his price goes up.

12 minutes ago, Dolman Block B said:

Major 

Semenyo is/was a far better player than Conway 

That’s why Bournemouth paid so much for him. 

Semenyo has a better all-round game (IMO). Play wider or through the middle, also strong pace and power.

However age and relevant experience is a factor too. Conway doesn't turn 22 until early August, Semenyo was 21 when he really started to shine in 2021-22 and turned 22 in early January 2022..was 23 and a few weeks when he made the move so there are a few ways of measuring it.

30 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

...in comparison to Scott and Semenyo, is all I'm seeing. 

Which is hilarious, seeing as the “he’s not that great” posts came flying in for Semenyo as he was too “raw” 18 months  ago and he’s gone on to have a brilliant season. 

Don’t believe he will be a starter for any prem teams barring maybe the newly promoted ones. But I feel he’s certainly got more potential then some of the backups in the bottom half prem clubs. Good luck to him, will be interesting to see where he goes. 

(Hopefully a load of clubs come knocking and we get a bidding war situation similar to Alex to drive the price up to our valuation!) 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HengroveReds said:

odd how tinnion said in recent Ian Gay interview they are willing to let his contract run down and get compo and about the number 7 due in 2 days - talk about providing us with false info! 

Either that or the top brass are less than competent individually and collectively or- surely not- not properly aligned!

As in all ultimately want the same thing but quite different ideas on how to achieve it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I don't think Conway is PL ready fwiw. Does anyone?

Semenyo and Scott plus varied  others who went before he isn't, feels like a move too soon from a footballing perspective for him IMO.

Which 3 midfielders do you mean.

Pre-season?? I think it'll be later than that, we may end up scrambling in July and August. 

James and King are the midfielders. Weimann was such a good pro and so versatile but a front line midfielder he isn't.

Absolutely no way is Conway PL ready, he’s waay short of the necessary quality to play there. However he’d do well in Scottish PL being up against average opposition pretty much every week.

The three missing are indeed James, King and Weimann.

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Semenyo has a better all-round game (IMO). Play wider or through the middle, also strong pace and power.

However age and relevant experience is a factor too. Conway doesn't turn 22 until early August, Semenyo was 21 when he really started to shine in 2021-22 and turned 22 in early January 2022..was 23 and a few weeks when he made the move so there are a few ways of measuring it.

I think people forget Conway is only 21. 

21 years old, 20 Championship goals under his belt. Goals against West Ham and off to the Euros and I'm reading stuff like he's only worth 2 million? 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

Absolutely no way is Conway PL ready, he’s waay short of the necessary quality to play there. However he’d do well in Scottish PL being up against average opposition pretty much every week.

I was thinking more from the development perspective tbh however yes at this time, either way he isn't ready.

Just now, W-S-M Seagull said:

21 years old, 20 Championship goals under his belt. Goals against West Ham and off to the Euros and I'm reading stuff like he's only worth 2 million? 🤣🤣🤣

Under Contract Tommy Conway is probably worth 5 million + 

1 year left on deal TC is worth most probably 3 mil max! 

I can see this as city’s way of getting the max money out of the player, sell for couple million with big sell on clause, in the hope he takes off and sells for millions further down the line and city getting another payout. 

Just now, W-S-M Seagull said:

Just a year left could play a role however £2m is too low for sure.

Players develop at different speeds but Piercy makes a strong point in his article.

Screenshot_20240611-163816_Chrome.thumb.jpg.f4098ff42fb3c726c3580962d32c56c2.jpg

"Rare for a talent of his age and experience to become available on the market". Good way of putting it.

It feels like a retrograde step, if we get an acceptable fee and can reinvest properly well maybe but not exactly enthusiastic about it.

4 minutes ago, HengroveReds said:

I can see this as city’s way of getting the max money out of the player, sell for couple million with big sell on clause, in the hope he takes off and sells for millions further down the line and city getting another payout. 

It hasn't worked for us so well of late.

Look at Kelly, look at Brownhill unless he is sold this summer for a decent fee. Any chat of Webster going for a big move, that's a long time ago.

Scott has a long way to go in his career, Semenyo too. However the former let's see how it goes this coming season- has been in and out at Bournemouth.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

• Admin
1 hour ago, petehinton said:

I think the Post of old & more general faceless national journos would definitely fit your first point, but certainly not the current team at the Post. The most legitimate and quality operators we’ve had at a local level imo. 

I get your point, but at the end of the day a reporter is only judged on the number of clicks they generate and essentially how much money that gets them vis their advertisements 

Shareholders aren't interested in facts, just money

1 hour ago, marksy said:

Don’t play a way that suits him and he’s a decent finisher?

Take his penalty’s out and his record last season wasn’t that good.He should have scored more with the chances he had. 

Hope I’m proved wrong but I don’t think he’s as good as he thinks he is. Apparently City will be looking for £5 Million with add ons. 

The data (yeah, yeah, I know people don’t like it) says different.  He gets a small amount of chances, that he does well with.

IMG_0812.jpeg.9039fcf62aaec0e402030ca01245e3b2.jpeg

He is top 10% of Championship forwards for Shots on target (56% on target)

He is top 20% of Championship forwards for Converting chances (19% of shots end in a goal)

He is well down the rankings for shots in total, because we don’t service him.

People will pick on a few 1v1s missed, and base it on that. 

1 hour ago, maxjak said:

It's obvious that since his best mate left, and text's him regularly about all the dosh he is pouring into his Bournemouth bank account, that TC's head has been turned?   If he wants to leave the club that has nurtured his career since he was 7, and not repay just a little of what they have added to his career, and so seemingly have no wish    to  continue to wear the  City shirt, then let him go to the highest bidder..  I hope he has a fantastic Euro's, so we can get the maximum fee for him, and  so we can use that money to then recruit someone who WANTS to play for us?

Why wouldn’t your head be turned?  He didn’t stop putting in 100% on the pitch, so why not be ambitious when there’s interest from other clubs / scouts regularly watching him and your own club isn’t matching yours?

Not saying you, but since it’s looked less likely he’s been staying there a lot of “jilted lovers” now saying he’s shit, who were saying very different things after West Ham.

• Like 8
  • Flames 3

To be honest take away the penalties and what does he bring? He’s nowhere near good enough for the PL! Ian G says on X that TC believes he will get a PL move and agent keeps telling him that too. 

28 minutes ago, HengroveReds said:

odd how tinnion said in recent Ian Gay interview they are willing to let his contract run down and get compo and about the number 7 due in 2 days - talk about providing us with false info! 

That interview……I mean seriously! Imagine Edu doing that at Arsenal with two season ticket holders……

Edited by Shauntaylor85

I think this is a real shame but it’s felt inevitable for a long time now. Having had a tenuous glimpse into what the football world is like, I never begrudge a player a move these days. It’s a short career and, as a percentage, very few players ever get to the point where they’re in demand and in control of their career choices like Conway is now. He’s ambitious and fair play to him for that.

I do find this one particularly frustrating though. When Scott and Semenyo went, it really felt like they’d outgrown us and they were destined for bigger and better things, annoying though that was. I’m just not sure Conway has reached that point yet. Clearly he has interest from other clubs and he’ll get his move, but it will be interesting to see whether he turns out to be as good as him and his agent believe him to be. Either way, I wish him well. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Just a year left could play a role however £2m is too low for sure.

Players develop at different speeds but Piercy makes a strong point in his article.

Screenshot_20240611-163816_Chrome.thumb.jpg.f4098ff42fb3c726c3580962d32c56c2.jpg

"Rare for a talent of his age and experience to become available on the market". Good way of putting it.

It feels like a retrograde step, if we get an acceptable fee and can reinvest properly well maybe but not exactly enthusiastic about it.

Gyokeres had 12 months left on his contract and went for 25 million I believe? 

Of course Tommy isn't yet in Gyokeres league but he has the potential to be. 

But what that shows is 12 months left on the contract may not have an impact on the fee. Tommy has potential and clubs will be paying to secure that. 

3 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

But what that shows is 12 months left on the contract may not have an impact on the fee

Agree.

Once we get beyond 31st Aug, then yes, but not until such.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

What went wrong was us not realising we were employing a head coach that didn't fit with the players we have/had and his style not being the style we were looking for. 

We are now having to make the most of it by going all in on Manning. 

If you're Tommy Conway you're not going to want to stay and play for a manager that doesn't really see you as part of his system. 

Why has Tommy been given terrible advice? If we were neutral we'd say that Tommy has done the exact right thing for Tommy Conway. He's now off to the Euros where he has a chance to put himself in the shop window. I'd say he's actually recieved excellent advice based on that. 

We can't sit here and say "Tommy has been badly advised" just because we desire him to sign a new contract with us. 

I think most rational people can see why Tommy won't sign a new contract.

Manning has started him in almost every game even though Wells is arguably as good of a player currently. Anyone who’s watched him will know he’s nowhere near ready for the next level yet and although we’re looking to bring a new striker in it’s clearly a move to try and add competition to try and push on his levels. If you don’t like Manning that’s fine, but this stinks of a clear agenda for me

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Said at the time but Manning summarised it perfectly re Tommy & his development. He’s still being challenged at this level. You can’t be ready for the step up, if you’ve not even clearly outgrown the level you’re are. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Charlie BCFC said:

Manning has started him in almost every game even though Wells is arguably as good of a player currently. Anyone who’s watched him will know he’s nowhere near ready for the next level yet and although we’re looking to bring a new striker in it’s clearly a move to try and add competition to try and push on his levels. If you don’t like Manning that’s fine, but this stinks of a clear agenda for me

I mean there is enough evidence out there which shows Tommy isn't quite suited to Mannings system, including from Manning himself, but yea, 100% an agenda. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

6 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Said at the time but Manning summarised it perfectly re Tommy & his development. He’s still being challenged at this level. You can’t be ready for the step up, if you’ve not even clearly outgrown the level you’re are. 

And a month after saying that, Tommy is off to the Euros. 

17 minutes ago, Charlie BCFC said:

Anyone who’s watched him will know he’s nowhere near ready for the next level yet

What is next level?

A Championship promotion / playoff side, relegated PL side, bottom 6 PL side?

I think he’s capable.  I’ve watched him a lot.  Some of us have a different view of his ability / capability.  Just imagine those cut backs he’d get for a better team / more attacking team than us??? 👀 

• Like 4

Likely true so let’s hope he has a great Euros to maximise the price tag and competition for him so he benefits and so do we

Can’t blame him, short career and earning window so good luck to him I say

If we bring in a 20+ goal striker as a replacement we’ll be calling him Tony Conway in no time

He’s indebted to the luck of the injuries gods on that one!

Maybe so but I also think Mannings system stifled him and cost him the chance of getting in the initial squad. So it's just evened itself out. 

As I've said many times on here, put Conway in a team like Coventry and he gets 15-20 goals easily. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

What is next level?

A Championship promotion / playoff side, relegated PL side, bottom 6 PL side?

I think he’s capable.  I’ve watched him a lot.  Some of us have a different view of his ability / capability.  Just imagine those cut backs he’d get for a better team / more attacking team than us??? 👀 

More talking Premier League or even a Celtic or Rangers. Potentially I think he can be capable but at the moment? He needs to be scoring a lot more and playing regularly, at the moment he’s not going to get that. 

1 minute ago, Tim Monaghan said:

Honestly, our fans are like bloody Goldilocks…

Ashton was a “suit”. Someone that couldn’t connect with the fans as he was too corporate. A snake oil salesman.

Tinnion, too casual, too unprofessional. 

Any wonder why SL isn’t interested anymore. 

What does that even mean? Fans broadly liked Richard Gould, and he was fairly corporate. Interesting omission.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

The data (yeah, yeah, I know people don’t like it) says different.  He gets a small amount of chances, that he does well with.

IMG_0812.jpeg.9039fcf62aaec0e402030ca01245e3b2.jpeg

He is top 10% of Championship forwards for Shots on target (56% on target)

He is top 20% of Championship forwards for Converting chances (19% of shots end in a goal)

He is well down the rankings for shots in total, because we don’t service him.

People will pick on a few 1v1s missed, and base it on that. 

Why wouldn’t your head be turned?  He didn’t stop putting in 100% on the pitch, so why not be ambitious when there’s interest from other clubs / scouts regularly watching him and your own club isn’t matching yours?

Not saying you, but since it’s looked less likely he’s been staying there a lot of “jilted lovers” now saying he’s shit, who were saying very different things after West Ham.

David stop being so sensible!! It’s bringing the tone of the tread down!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Charlie BCFC said:

More talking Premier League or even a Celtic or Rangers. Potentially I think he can be capable but at the moment? He needs to be scoring a lot more and playing regularly, at the moment he’s not going to get that. 

How can he score if he's not being provided with chances? Daves data literally backs that up.

8 minutes ago, Charlie BCFC said:

I guess we will find out.

I can see one all of the three relegated PL clubs being interested, Leeds too. I could also see some PL clubs being interested too, Wolves, Fulham type clubs.  He might not be first choice, but it’s a squad game anyway.

He might be even better with better players servicing him.  You got a glimpse of McGinn picking out his run the other night, but over hit the chipped pass.  Our players probably don’t even see the run.

For £5-8m (Piercy article) it’s a snip.  I think it might be at the low end of that, if not lower, but better than next summer.

• Like 5
  • Flames 2

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I can see one all of the three relegated PL clubs being interested, Leeds too. I could also see some PL clubs being interested too, Wolves, Fulham type clubs.  He might not be first choice, but it’s a squad game anyway.

He might be even better with better players servicing him.  You got a glimpse of McGinn picking out his run the other night, but over hit the chipped pass.  Our players probably don’t even see the run.

For £5-8m (Piercy article) it’s a snip.  I think it might be at the low end of that, if not lower, but better than next summer.

Yep, 

Another thing to our benefit is his profile is growing; back to back 21under21's, 24 goals at this level, international recognition for a Home Nation. None of those things has a huge individual impact on fee, but tallied together they help us. I'd say Alex Scott being the most signed player on last years FM probably helped his "stock" rise too, Tottenham fans still flood every one of his instagram or X posts with "come to spurs" off the back of that. 

marginal impacts, competition for signature = bigger fee.

• Like 1

Tricky one. Never like seeing a talented player leave (obviously!) and even more so when they’re one of our own.

On the other hand, he doesn’t want to be here which isn’t something we want from one of our players and by all accounts the club want a different kind of 9 leading the line. So even if he were to stay, he probably wouldn’t get the minutes he wanted. 

Think it’s a win for all parties if we move him along this summer (preferably not to a rival) and reinvested that money on our new 9, and maybe a young prospect too. Then head into next season with said 2 strikers + Wells. I assume Pamer-Houlden isn’t viewed as ‘ready’ quite yet but happy to be corrected. 

A few goals from Tommy at the Euros would help a sale and earn us a few extra quid, so I’ll be rooting for him in Germany. 

• Like 3

Who, Tommy? Very much so, just saying he wouldn’t have made the euros squad if it wasn’t for Dykes getting crocked. 

I wonder how much of that was a stylistic decision over an ability one. Scotland likely anticipate needing to hold the ball up and score from set plays so Dykes is better suited to that.

Conway, who to be fair is pretty decent in the air, is more of front foot forward who needs balls in behind. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

What does that even mean? Fans broadly liked Richard Gould, and he was fairly corporate. Interesting omission.

Plus Ashton is now a PL CEO. Personally had no issue with him, wasn’t unprofessional. 

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1
  • Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

And Semenyo is tearing it up in the premier league and is being watched by some big clubs.

I honestly would be surprised if he ever starts a prem game 

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, marksy said:

And Semenyo is tearing it up in the premier league and is being watched by some big clubs.

I honestly would be surprised if he ever starts a prem game 

Big fan of Semenyo, just saying I don't see it as a straight comparison due to age and experience.

A good question to ask although again different type of player in both cases to an extent, what was Semenyo doing at Conway's age?

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

A good question to ask although again different type of player in both cases to an extent, what was Semenyo doing at Conway's age?

Being picked apart in here for not being a striker as they score goals. In the identical way some are picking Conway apart. 

This place is depressing sometimes. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Being picked apart in here for not being a striker as they score goals. In the identical way some are picking Conway apart. 

This place is depressing sometimes. 

Oh yes I remember that thread!

Stylistic differences aside, Conway is ahead by certain metrics of Semenyo at the same age. Doubters on here should consider that fact.

Conway isn't IMO PL ready but we have to also try and protect our financial position.

36 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Plus Ashton is now a PL CEO. Personally had no issue with him, wasn’t unprofessional. 

He was!!!

Just not in the way he communicated with fans, which although smarmy, he was professional.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think he could do well at a team at the top end of the division. I also think Celtic would be a good place for him in regards to goals, but a Wolves and Fulham type? He doesn’t come near their starting 11s

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Oh yes I remember that thread!

Stylistic differences aside, Conway is ahead by certain metrics of Semenyo at the same age. Doubters on here should consider that fact.

Conway isn't IMO PL ready but we have to also try and protect our financial position.

Yes you can go back n forth about his readiness, but who knows. The only guide as to if he is ready is that he scored and played well against two premier league teams. 

If he can come on in an international play very well by the standards of many who watched him and has a place in a squad at the Euros some think he’s ready for a lot. 

My thought is an appearance or two and god forbid for one or two here, score, he’s going to be considered as ready as you are gonna get for a championship forward and make us some money. 

Im sure the forum could talk his value down mind you. 😂 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

This summer theoretically.

The experience of King and Weimann gone.

The still relevant talent of James as well as his vast experience.

Conway, sold?

Yep another Championship season it is. Summer 2025 still in the Championship. A solid base but...

Bird in is good and age wise can still grow along with a lot of players 25 and under. 

Don't think we will be inspired this summer.

Did you honestly expect anything else Pops? 

5 minutes ago, Charlie BCFC said:

I think he could do well at a team at the top end of the division. I also think Celtic would be a good place for him in regards to goals, but a Wolves and Fulham type? He doesn’t come near their starting 11s

Depends how those teams create.

We are just gonna have to watch this space.

6 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Yes you can go back n forth about his readiness, but who knows. The only guide as to if he is ready is that he scored and played well against two premier league teams. 

If he can come on in an international play very well by the standards of many who watched him and has a place in a squad at the Euros some think he’s ready for a lot. 

My thought is an appearance or two and god forbid for one or two here, score, he’s going to be considered as ready as you are gonna get for a championship forward and make us some money. 

Im sure the forum could talk his value down mind you. 😂 

He is in a tricky group so if he does that will only enhance!

Germany are the host nation and recent gsmes have seen a revival, Hungary have improved a lot in the last few years and Switzerland are fairly watchable tournament regulars, albeit trouble finishing chances. All tough opposition in their own way.

Not a Group of Death but tricky all the same.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JAWS said:

Did you honestly expect anything else Pops? 

The optimist in me wonders whether now the FFP sorted we can either take the hit on compensation next summer while hoping we maybe reach or win the playoffs.

Or if we sell him, for a decent fee the whole lot of fee and wage savings goes back into the side this summer.

A suitable 7, Twine or equivalent, a Front line striker and a first reserve striker. As in the whole Conway dividend added to the present budget.

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Depends how those teams create.

We are just gonna have to watch this space.

I think it depends what game time he’ll get aswell, think most of the teams mentioned probably have a better striker at the club

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dolman Block B said:

No one will pay 5 million for him with only a short time left on his contract 

Lucky to get 1.5 million 

He’s not actually a proven striker just a young lad who’s done ok 

Lot better than him about 

Not at 21 and at that price there ain’t. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dolman Block B said:

No one will pay 5 million for him with only a short time left on his contract 

Lucky to get 1.5 million 

He’s not actually a proven striker just a young lad who’s done ok 

Lot better than him about 

1.5 million 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1

I rate Conway very highly , but his last season was disappointing partly due to Mannings structure.

However out of all the words I have read on here and elsewhere about Conway, Manning's resonate big time , as quoted again by Piercy.

“I totally understand if someone's journey is going miles quicker than the team's then I understand the move,” he told the BBC. "At the minute he's at the level where he's still being challenged. I think he's put in some good performances, I still think he's got a huge amount to do and improve which I'm sure he'd agree with."

Scott and Semenyo were better than us, Conway is not yet and if he moves to be third choice in the Prem then he might come to regret not signing the contract and staying one season more to hone his game

• Like 10

16 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

I rate Conway very highly , but his last season was disappointing partly due to Mannings structure.

However out of all the words I have read on here and elsewhere about Conway, Manning's resonate big time , as quoted again by Piercy.

“I totally understand if someone's journey is going miles quicker than the team's then I understand the move,” he told the BBC. "At the minute he's at the level where he's still being challenged. I think he's put in some good performances, I still think he's got a huge amount to do and improve which I'm sure he'd agree with."

Scott and Semenyo were better than us, Conway is not yet and if he moves to be third choice in the Prem then he might come to regret not signing the contract and staying one season more to hone his game

Totally agree, but the Euros could change all that.  If he makes an impact then everyone will be after him, and he might…

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Pretty much how I feel, good luck to the kid, but if he ends up stuck on the bench somewhere, admittedly on more money, that's the choice he is making. Personally, once he's gone, I don't care as I support City.

A little too soon IMHO.

Edited by Ska Junkie
  • Like 1

Good luck to him. If he can get a move that doubles his wage if not more, why not? 

Is he worth it? Who knows.  Bobby Reid didn’t exactly set the world alight when he got his prem move, but has subsequently done very well at that level with Fulham. 

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The optimist in me wonders whether now the FFP sorted we can either take the hit on compensation next summer while hoping we maybe reach or win the playoffs.

Or if we sell him, for a decent fee the whole lot of fee and wage savings goes back into the side this summer.

A suitable 7, Twine or equivalent, a Front line striker and a first reserve striker. As in the whole Conway dividend added to the present budget.

I admire ur optimism Pops but sadly can't see lansdown reinvesting the whole amount. Maybe half if we're lucky. Think it's sad how we default to selling so we don't 'lose' out! More foresight is required with contracts. Extending earlier for longer. At that time a lot of these promising youngsters wouldn't be on mega money so wouldn't break the bank