IGNORED

Guardiola coaches in demand

Yesterday's Telegraph had an article about all the coaches who have been schooled by Pep Guardiola including Mikel Arteta, Enzo Maresca, Erik Ten Hag, Thierry Henry etc>

manning1.thumb.jpg.7cf1586013d710c7113fc7a3106d8a4a.jpg

Can you spot someone familiar in the bottom row?

With each passing year, Guardiola’s web of influence grows larger. The Manchester City manager has transformed the world of football and, across the game, his disciples are now beginning to have their own impact.

The web of Guardiola, and that wider web of the City Football Group, is increasingly hard to ignore. It says much about the effectiveness of the City organisation, and the brilliance of Guardiola himself, that so many clubs now want one of his disciples for their own.

• Like 2

Maybe I’m showing a bit of wider footballing naivety here, but have his disciples generally really been successful, or have they rode on the back of his coat tails. The likes of Maresca now at Chelsea, I mean has he really earned it on the back of getting that Leicester squad promoted? I don’t think so - bookies were all but paying out during the winter and they still threatened to balls it up. Arteta stands out clearly, but he’s also played under a lot of very good managers. 

seems odd to have manning as schooled by pep too. That’s a very tenuous link. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 38MC said:

As far as I’m aware, Liam went from West Ham academy to running the City Groups New York academy, then to manager of Lommel. I’m not sure he ever worked in the same country as Pep when working for the City Group, and it’s unlikely Pep would be engaging much with the academy head at New York. In fact, it’s not a stretch to suggest that Lee Johnson in his post match glass of wine has had more conversations with Pep than Liam.

(That’s not having a go at him, it’s just confirming that the link is bollocks)

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

It’s creating inferior versions imho!  Attempting to copy-cat Pep without the best players!

As I think we’ve discussed on many occasions!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It's also produced some extremely boring football in the past 10 years. I love an inverted full back as much as the next Madri drinking, beanie wearing Mundial reader, but Dycheball (read Charles Reep ball) reigns supreme for me.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, ashton_fan said:

Yesterday's Telegraph had an article about all the coaches who have been schooled by Pep Guardiola including Mikel Arteta, Enzo Maresca, Erik Ten Hag, Thierry Henry etc>

manning1.thumb.jpg.7cf1586013d710c7113fc7a3106d8a4a.jpg

Can you spot someone familiar in the bottom row?

With each passing year, Guardiola’s web of influence grows larger. The Manchester City manager has transformed the world of football and, across the game, his disciples are now beginning to have their own impact.

The web of Guardiola, and that wider web of the City Football Group, is increasingly hard to ignore. It says much about the effectiveness of the City organisation, and the brilliance of Guardiola himself, that so many clubs now want one of his disciples for their own.

who schooled Pep?

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

It’s creating inferior versions imho!  Attempting to copy-cat Pep without the best players!

Correct

The only teams who win much playing that style of football is Man City 

and Barca of old

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

How would Liam Manning be attempting to copy cat Pep Guardiola? 

4 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Johan Cruyff. Though Pep stole the idea of playing 4 centre backs from Tony Pulis. 😉

I thought that was LJ in 2017/18 when he had his coaching tete-a-tete with Pep… 😜

• Haha 4

24 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

How would Liam Manning be attempting to copy cat Pep Guardiola? 

Manning is in the article because he's part of the City Football Group as are the other managers in the bottom row of the picture, ie Andoni Iraola (Bournemouth), Ange Postecoglou (Spurs), Patrick Vieira (Strasbourg), Manning and Harry Kewell (Yokohama F.Marinos)

2 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

As far as I’m aware, Liam went from West Ham academy to running the City Groups New York academy, then to manager of Lommel. I’m not sure he ever worked in the same country as Pep when working for the City Group, and it’s unlikely Pep would be engaging much with the academy head at New York. In fact, it’s not a stretch to suggest that Lee Johnson in his post match glass of wine has had more conversations with Pep than Liam.

(That’s not having a go at him, it’s just confirming that the link is bollocks)

As I think we’ve discussed on many occasions!

Isn't it a downward sectional thing. Pep worked directly with the top lot, who worked with the next lot, etc.

Rather than Pep worked directly with them all. It's a sphere of influence type thing, no?

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

Manning is in the article because he's part of the City Football Group as are the other managers in the bottom row of the picture, ie Andoni Iraola (Bournemouth), Ange Postecoglou (Spurs), Patrick Vieira (Strasbourg), Manning and Harry Kewell (Yokohama F.Marinos)

Yes I know.

And the coaches featured teams play in differing manners, their own. There is not one football identity across the City group. New York City don't play the formations of Guardiola's Barcelona in a 4-3-3 or Guardiola's current Man City morphing 3-6-1 etc. 

Edited by Cowshed
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

I’m not sure Ange Postecoglou plays football anything like Pep

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Cruyff, Robson, van Gaal, Capello.

Pretty illustrious lineage tbf.

And those first three - their teams at Barca played nothing like Man City do.

5 hours ago, 38MC said:

Maybe I’m showing a bit of wider footballing naivety here, but have his disciples generally really been successful, or have they rode on the back of his coat tails. The likes of Maresca now at Chelsea, I mean has he really earned it on the back of getting that Leicester squad promoted? I don’t think so - bookies were all but paying out during the winter and they still threatened to balls it up. Arteta stands out clearly, but he’s also played under a lot of very good managers. 

I’d say they have yes. At least the ones in the article picture, Xavi and Alonso have been more successful than Arteta. I also, Think Ange has been fantastic everywhere he’s been and will be at Spurs eventually too.

It’s frustrating to see clubs all copycat each other, but I think the idea that his disciples haven’t been successful just isn’t true.  They also, haven’t needed “the best players” either Girona and Leverkusen are examples of that.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, MythikRobins said:

I’d say they have yes. At least the ones in the article picture, Xavi and Alonso have been more successful than Arteta. I also, Think Ange has been fantastic everywhere he’s been and will be at Spurs eventually too.

It’s frustrating to see clubs all copycat each other, but I think the idea that his disciples haven’t been successful just isn’t true.  They also, haven’t needed “the best players” either Girona and Leverkusen are examples of that.

The more I look the more I realise the article is a waste of words anyway. I saw you refer to Ange so tried to find how they have worked together in the past.

Spoiler they haven’t. This Man City article says they had met just once before 2023. 

https://www.mancity.com/news/mens/pep-guardiola-tottenham-hotspur-preview-63837030

Edited by 38MC

7 hours ago, MythikRobins said:

Leverkusen frequently play like Liverpool in the final third in and out of possession. Girona play with a remarkable asymmetric shape, remarkable because its so unusual and hard to define using formations, its a lopsided right sided shape where players occupy positions that defy normal positional definition.

Point being these teams are not copycats of each other, or Guardiola.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, 38MC said:

The more I look the more I realise the article is a waste of words anyway. I saw you refer to Ange so tried to find how they have worked together in the past.

Spoiler they haven’t. This Man City article says they had met just once before 2023. 

https://www.mancity.com/news/mens/pep-guardiola-tottenham-hotspur-preview-63837030

Yeah, I was honestly just using the picture here many of these links are very dubious.

• Like 1

On 05/06/2024 at 19:06, Davefevs said:

I think the ones that have been successful have taken a little bit of pep and added their own style.  There are more failures than successful manager's from this crop.