IGNORED

EURO 2024

phantom

1 minute ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Does help when you only qualify once in a blue moon of course 

Both Rangers but particularly Celtic go to games around Europe in the 10s of thousands with barely any problems. 

5 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Germany could make the final I reckon

Don’t be fooled by playing Scotland off the park. The Jocks are about the weakest team in the tournament.

2 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Can’t judge them on that tonight tbf. We’ll find out when they face someone decent.

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

Don’t be fooled by playing Scotland off the park. The Jocks are about the weakest team in the tournament.

Yeah both fair points. They do have some quality players though

10 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Germany could make the final I reckon

I predicted them to win it but way too early and much tougher opposition lay ahead.

After looking forward to the tournament this result just reiterates how shite 24 teams and top 3 through is

Bring back 16 teams ffs

Maybe a pre qualifier for 12 teams at the start of June with 4 going through to group stages 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, 1team said:

Both Rangers but particularly Celtic go to games around Europe in the 10s of thousands with barely any problems. 

Absolute rubbish, Rangers fans trashed Manchester when they got to the Europa League final, and Celtic and Rangers aren’t even allowed to take away fans when they play each other because they can’t behave.

Celtic fans were getting banged out when they went looking for trouble before an away game to Sunderland, a pre-season friendly 😂

and Scotland fans were getting nicked the other night for fighting in Germany.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

Just now, cidercity1987 said:

After looking forward to the tournament this result just reiterates how shite 24 teams and top 3 through is

Bring back 16 teams ffs

Maybe a pre qualifier for 12 teams at the start of June with 4 going through to group stages 

Or go full fat and have 64. 

Scotland might qualify then.

1 minute ago, Bris Red said:

Is what it is for Scotland, a small country of only 4 million just qualifying is a success for them i guess..

Ummm...you might want to look at some of the other qualifiers' populations...

1 minute ago, Super said:

I predicted them to win it but way too early and much tougher opposition lay ahead.

True. I was opposite to you - I didn't fancy them particularly until I looked at their squad and realised there's a lot of talent there. I think they would definitely cause problems for England, especially at home

Scotland managed one shot (off target) all match according to the BBC stats, so scoring one was…efficient?

Scotland outclassed at this level, but Germany looking pretty hot in truth.

5 minutes ago, Bris Red said:

Is what it is for Scotland, a small country of only 4 million just qualifying is a success for them i guess..

Wikipedia 

Scotland had a population of 5,463,300 in 2019

2 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

True. I was opposite to you - I didn't fancy them particularly until I looked at their squad and realised there's a lot of talent there. I think they would definitely cause problems for England, especially at home

England will cause problems for them too. We won’t be 24% possession and no shots. That’s when you find out who’s who. Englands issue is can we stop a good side scoring against us with what we have at the back.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Scotland managed one shot (off target) all match according to the BBC stats, so scoring one was…efficient?

Scotland outclassed at this level, but Germany looking pretty hot in truth.

Roy Keane and the rest are going way over the top in the criticism on itv, the truth is Germany were outstanding all over the pitch, incredible movement and some great finishes. 

3 minutes ago, luke_bristol said:

Roy Keane and the rest are going way over the top in the criticism on itv, the truth is Germany were outstanding all over the pitch, incredible movement and some great finishes. 

Disagree. Scotland were terrible and you won’t be seeing Germany doing that to everyone.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, luke_bristol said:

2 questionable bits of keeping and a moment of madness for the sending off amongst a terrible overall performance - i think the criticism is justified 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, David Brent said:

Yes..but they are probably better than both of those.

Scotland are firmly in pole position for worst performance of the tournament. So called worse teams are unlikely to be rollered like that.

19 minutes ago, luke_bristol said:

Against a shit side. Who didn’t get near them . They were allowed to play 

34 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

And there is numerous trouble when Man City fans or Brighton travel abroad is there 

I Imagine if we somehow managed to fluke our way into Europe that there would be absolute carnage in the poor city that hosted us, good job Lee Johnson wasn't Nostradamus!!!

1 hour ago, 1team said:

Sadly this is a reflection of how the game has dumbed down both for the people playing and watching.

Gerry Gow would've been off in the 1st 5 mins of most games nowadays.

Don't get the Scottish hating.  

It's called tit for tat, and I will give you one guess who started it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1team said:

If you're a minority who has historically been abused by your bigger more  controlling neighbour I think a bit of anger is to be expected. I'm not Scottish by the way. 

If you mean having free education at universities, free bus travel at 60, and free prescriptions eye tests and hospital parking, then that's a funny definition of abuse, don't you agree?

Edited by pillred
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Bris Red said:

Last time I looked Croatia had less than that. And Scotland has a population of over 5 million.

Edited by pillred

Trouble for Scotland is any defensive game plan went out of the window after 10 minutes and they didn't know how to respond.

Depends how much this dents their confidence too.

I mean obviously the next 2 games shouldn't be as one sided but be up to Scotland to improve greatly. 

The problem with Scotland was they played for the draw, the tactics were so wrong and they had no plan B when Germany scored early...

I do feel for Scotland fans, with that goal difference they need at least 4 points now to even get best 3rd place

For me, Scotland were never gonna get a result playing their current way, playing out from goal-kicks, building through possession.  Germany swarmed them.

A tactical masterclass from Nagelsman?  Not really.  Just poor from Clarke.

Early on (opening 5 mins) the 3 German forwards played on the shoulder of the 3 Scotland CBs forcing Robertson to cover Tierney inside, although Ralston still played high.  But that early ball over the top where Wirtz almost lobbed Gunn petrified them.  So they then dropped deeper, which then allowed Havertz to occupy all 3 CBs whilst Musiala and Wirtz positioned themselves cleverly in space.  What they also did was play close the McTominay and McGregor, so any time they got on the ball they weren’t necessarily worried about Andrich and Gundogan ahead of them but the two no10 sniping at their heels.

Ive never seen McGregor looked so rushed.

So a couple of long balls in the opening 5 minutes dragged Scotland deep and set up Germany to overload them thereafter.

With the ball, Scotland could t gain territory.  Adams doing shuttle runs between Kroos, Rudiger and Tah, had no energy when the ball found him, and being isolated he then lost it.

2-0 down and avoiding a third from a VAR changed pen…Clarke reacted.  He switched from 541 to 532, putting Christie alongside Adams to share the shuttle run burden.  For 10 mins it was better.  A few loose headers from balls hit up to Adams and Christie found Scotland shirts, and they earned a few set-pieces.

But then Porteous ruined it all.  I don’t think Scotland were combing back from 2-0 by any stretch, but any chance of getting some credit then disappeared.

For me, it was a simple failure of approach initially, and then failure to react at 1-0, let alone 2-0.  They should’ve started by playing direct, get the ball deep into German territory and squeeze up, get players attached to Adams.  Make Germany think this is gonna be a tough night.  The reality was it couldn’t have been easier.

In a way I’m glad McCrorie and Conway weren’t exposed.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

For me, Scotland were never gonna get a result playing their current way, playing out from goal-kicks, building through possession.  Germany swarmed them.

Early on (opening 5 mins) the 3 German forwards played on the shoulder of the 3 Scotland CBs forcing Robertson to cover Tierney inside, although Ralston still played high.  But that early ball over the top where Wirtz almost lobbed Gunn petrified them.  So they then dropped deeper, which then allowed Havertz to occupy all 3 CBs whilst Musiala and Wirtz positioned themselves cleverly in space.  What they also did was play close the McTominay and McGregor, so any time they got on the ball they weren’t necessarily worried about Andrich and Gundogan ahead of them but the two no10 sniping at their heels.

So a couple of long balls in the opening 5 minutes dragged Scotland deep and set up Germany to overload them thereafter.

With the ball, Scotland could t gain territory.  Adams doing shuttle runs between Kroos, Rudiger and Tah, had no energy when the ball found him, and being isolated he then lost it.

2-0 down and avoiding a third from a VAR changed pen…Clarke reacted.  He switched from 541 to 532, putting Christie alongside Adams to share the shuttle run burden.  For 10 mins it was better.  A few loose headers from balls hit up to Adams and Christie found Scotland shirts, and they earned a few set-pieces.

But then Porteous ruined it all.  I don’t think Scotland were combing back from 2-0 by any stretch, but any chance of getting some credit then disappeared.

For me, it was a simple failure of approach initially, and then failure to react at 1-0, let alone 2-0.  They should’ve started by playing direct, get the ball deep into German territory and squeeze up, get players attached to Adams.  Make Germany think this is gonna be a tough night.  The reality was it couldn’t have been easier.

Fantastic post Dave 

Great review @Davefevs 

I think Dykes was a big miss, specially in being able to go direct .
Adams had 7 touches in the German's half and none in the final 3rd, speaks volumes.

McCoist flagged the distance between the lines at half time , but Clark should have been screaming for the back 5 to push up much earlier . They sat so deep and made it easy for the Germans to dominate. 
It can be hard to change that need/want to sit deeper from on the pitch , I don't think you alway notice you are doing it. We have seen it with City often enough , retreating deeper when under pressure, but the coaches should have been going mad at them trying to sit on the edge on their own box so early on . 
Easy for me to say though.
Just looked at the heatmaps , Robertson looks like he got forward a bit but Ralston looks like he was forced to stay level with his own box. While the German FBs look like they played more like wingers. 

Probably need to beat the Swiss & Hungarians to qualify, getting battered means best 3rd place is unlikely . Then, on that performance beating the other two is unlikely . 

10 hours ago, luke_bristol said:

Maybe they should all pack up and go home from the tournament like he did.

Edited by Super

35 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Great review @Davefevs 

I think Dykes was a big miss, specially in being able to go direct .
Adams had 7 touches in the German's half and none in the final 3rd, speaks volumes.

McCoist flagged the distance between the lines at half time , but Clark should have been screaming for the back 5 to push up much earlier . They sat so deep and made it easy for the Germans to dominate. 
It can be hard to change that need/want to sit deeper from on the pitch , I don't think you alway notice you are doing it. We have seen it with City often enough , retreating deeper when under pressure, but the coaches should have been going mad at them trying to sit on the edge on their own box so early on . 
Easy for me to say though.
Just looked at the heatmaps , Robertson looks like he got forward a bit but Ralston looks like he was forced to stay level with his own box. While the German FBs look like they played more like wingers. 

Probably need to beat the Swiss & Hungarians to qualify, getting battered means best 3rd place is unlikely . Then, on that performance beating the other two is unlikely . 

A win and a draw should do it for the Scots, every team with 4 points has gone through since the format changed in 2016

Can't see them picking up any win though against underrated Hungary and perennial overachievers Switzerland

10 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

A win and a draw should do it for the Scots, every team with 4 points has gone through since the format changed in 2016

Can't see them picking up any win though against underrated Hungary and perennial overachievers Switzerland

I think last nights hammering might stop them being one of the best 3rd place teams. 

But I agree, I can see them finishing with nil points .

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Thanks Dave.

You rightly make the case that it wasn’t a hard game for Germany, and that Nagelsman didn’t need some tactical masterplan for that game.

But at the same time, have to say I was impressed with Germany. They have some great players, and they do use them well. I’m looking forward to seeing them against tougher opposition.

McCrorie and Conway: just demonstrates what happens if you leave your best players on the bench all game……..😂😂

• Like 1

Hungary have improved significantly in the last decade or so. They may oddly get some joy from Switzerland only because as always, Switzerland do lack a high calibre striker. Perennial weakness of theirs but they can score goals regardless.

Scotland getting 1 point at best wouldn't surprise me.