IGNORED

EURO 2024

phantom

1 hour ago, Curr Avon said:

Broken nose for the talisman. Have France blown it?

At the very least he is going to have to wear a mask for a bit you would think. A turtle in a mask…it writes itself.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

His nose is not broken , just damaged, according to French media. 

- ‘Tis but a scratch.”
- A scratch?!?  Your arm’s off.
- No, it isn’t.
- Well, what’s that then?”
- I’ve had worse.

• Haha 5

8 hours ago, Super said:

Wonder if there will be a similar meltdown in France to a 1-0 victory.

Nope. They accept that they weren’t at their best but that the win was important against a limited but fit and well organised team. 
Mbappe quoted as being able to play on with a mask being made for him. 
Having had a broken nose myself ( reports are mixed for KM , some say broken others not ! ) it’s difficult to breathe normally until the swelling has gone down. 
Not great for the lad. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Super said:

It's a wholly different situation, I mean, they have other things, what with having called a snap election and...oh, hang on...

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Fair.

But….even if one team France is better than us (and most of us agree France are) that means an expectation of winning the tournament is not reasonable.  Getting the final (assuming the draw allow that’s, I haven’t checked) is met expectations?

It’s not as black and white as that - if we played France I’d expect us to win at least 35%-40% of the time so in a one off game anything is possible. Predicted ‘route to the final’ aside, my expectation for this team would be to make the final. 

Edited by Phileas Fogg

3 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

His nose is not broken , just damaged, according to French media. 

Now the media have the nose story you know it will run and run.

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

3 hours ago, TV Tom said:

Haha, what a rib-tickler, you should be on the stage

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

It leaves in twenty minutes. 

Deadwood obviously!

15 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Exactly my point. The question was does the advantage play a part in the decision. It’s the biggest part of the decision 

Of course it is, he gained an advantage by it. I dont know if you just made your point badly but quite obviously it wouldn't be reviewed if he didn't go on to score - because there would be no goal to review 🤣

13 hours ago, Jose said:

Probably not as they’ve shown they can go on and win it regardless…….either way an enjoyable watch. 

That is literally the only mitigating factor between reactions to France and England's results.

In some ways it's a fair one, Deschamps has won them a tournament - he's also failed in two finals (but I guess in credit for getting there).

He's also crashed them out of Euro 2020 poorly in the last 16 after a slow start (something Southgate hasn't done) so could go either way for them from here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

That is literally the only mitigating factor between reactions to France and England's results.

In some ways it's a fair one, Deschamps has won them a tournament - he's also failed in two finals (but I guess in credit for getting there).

He's also crashed them out of Euro 2020 poorly in the last 16 after a slow start (something Southgate hasn't done) so could go either way for them from here.

Deschamps is not in any sort of credit with most French fans! The same is labelled at him as with Southgate

Boring dull football, take the hand brake off!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Super said:

It’s simple. Germany and Spain hammered their opposition in their first game, everyone else goes home (no point being there) and they play the final three weeks early on Saturday……..that’s the mental thinking on  social media and football forums for you despite every previous tournament suggesting differently. It’s likely that one of the semi finalists will literally be on nobodies radar in reality (think Wales).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, frenchred said:

Deschamps is not in any sort of credit with most French fans! The same is labelled at him as with Southgate

They mentioned that on ITV last night. It all sounded very familiar.

11 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

It’s simple. Germany and Spain hammered their opposition in their first game, everyone else goes home (no point being there) and they play the final three weeks early on Saturday……..that’s the mental thinking on  social media and football forums for you despite every previous tournament suggesting differently. It’s likely that one of the semi finalists will literally be on nobodies radar in reality (think Wales).

I well remember the Germans stinking out a tournament and going on to win it . As have the Italians. 
The Greeks won the Euros being very ordinary and having no stars in their side. 
There will be as many twists and turns as a twisty turny thing at a Twister tournament hosted by Chubby Checker. 
The beauty of sport ( and I’m not talking about Irene ! ) 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, frenchred said:

There's definitely a lot of similarities, almost like International football isn't about just going all out attack even when you have the best squad!

19 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I'm certain Wales is definitely not on anyone's radar 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Can we afford some of these Georgian players? Please? 

if there were any in our price range pre tourney, there'll be less in our price range at the end.

And what a goal that was.

Edited by Sleepy1968
  • Like 2

Just now, W-S-M Seagull said:

Game of the tournament so far for me. 

Refreshing to watch two games actually going for it. 

You'd never have picked it but it's a cracker.

Currently in Berlin. Travelling around. Got no tickets but came anyway. Fan Zones a great experience. England match was epic here in Berlin. Tonight would have been great. Sadly the weather is truly biblically appalling and the Fan Zone closed. But for folk who fancy coming out but have no tickets the Fan Zones are excellent…in better weather!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

if there were any in our price range pre tourney, there'll be less in our price range at the end.

And what a goal that was.

The guy who went off  about 5 minutes ago is ours - brought for 2.5 million.

Scored v you in the 1-4 game.

Good technical player with a bit of pace but not much end product.

Mind you with our strikers Messi and KDB would struggle tbh!

Some cracking strikes already.

Teams not afraid to have a go.

Edited by Markthehorn

9 minutes ago, Gazred said:

You'd never have picked it but it's a cracker.

Got to admit I'm a bit of a football snob and wouldn't usually watch a game like this. So glad I did tho. 

24 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Can we afford some of these Georgian players? Please? 

Or the manager 🤣

7 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

Do you think they would give as much in a City shirt as they do for their country?

I’m sure it is the dream of every Georgian schoolboy….

• Haha 1