IGNORED

EURO 2024

phantom

Just now, ORANGE500 said:

Walker and Stones nothing special 

You said average yet they play at the highest levels of the game, have medals galore and have had top players in their back pockets during games. Plenty of managers at top clubs all over Europe would take them. What do you define as average? If this England team was the sum of its parts they would turn Denmark over every day.

Our problems tonight all stemmed from the middle of the park, put someone like Kante in that side and it’s completely different but as we don’t have that player Gareth has got to do a lot better than try a right back in the middle. Daft experiment that thankfully we will have seen the last of.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Doesn’t have enough pace around him - He’s played at his best with players like Son/Sane/Musiala - Saka/Foden aren’t particularly quick and it seems Bellingham/Foden/Kane don’t blend well.

Terrible performance, ridiculous sub to bring on Gallagher and just baffling Palmer hasn’t got a second of game time. 

Exactly. What did he think Gallagher would add. I'm mystified. Should have dropped Bellingham in alongside Rice, put Foden at 10 and brought Gordon on the left. 

Or play with 2 10's instead of 2 8's.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

10 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I think thats the plan. 

Players had a long season. Didn't play them in the warm up games so they can rest. These group games are the warm up games in Southgates mind. 

I agree but the problem is I’m not sure you can turn form on and off like a tap. It’s obvious he’s trying to get us to do the bare minimum (and succeeding!!). Another risk is you can end up finishing second or third and facing a tricky “loseable” last 16 game.

7 minutes ago, petehinton said:

I think even if we won it, this is his last ever tournament as England manager. I think he’s gone by august no matter what happens tbh

Probably a good reason why both Poctch and Potter have been reluctant to take new jobs this summer.

23 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Yes. That was freaking me out. Particularly as they seemed to argue about it. Weird. You remember The Jocko keeper in the last tournament 

Agreed. Was Saka injured as it seemed that right side with those two was our only threatening outlet? 

Truth. 

Corrr didn’t it remind you of another team. But it wasn’t just that. It was the isolation of the forward (Kane) the inability to get around the back, particularly on the left and the walking around in midfield look lost with no ability to win second ball. Is a certain championship manager out there advising? 

Exactly. We didn’t  get around them and were too slow to play through them. It was like an entire midfield trying to find a killer pass in slow motion and not putting in the work. 

The only positive is we couldn’t be worse. Could we?

We won't need to be to lose against one of the best sides

2 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Exactly. What did he think Gallagher would add. I'm mystified. Should have dropped Bellingham in alongside Rice, put Foden at 10 and brought Gordon on the left. 

spot on imo

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

Ah, didn’t see that as I never watch the expert analysis 

I can't believe anyone would knowingly miss out on Mica Richards's devastating insight.

30 minutes ago, Jose said:

Point well made 😂

🤣🤣 I couldn't delete the quote.. had to post it as was. 

I checked the temp and it was 25/26° so probably felt hotter. heavy pitch as well... didn't seem to bother Denmark tho

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

I’m sure many will disagree but I think Kane is part of the problem and the way he is playing 

Kane doesn’t press. We are not pressing effectively as a team because of it. 

The rest of the players play in teams that press efficiently. So we play a hybrid football trying to suit a goalscorer. 

We need more energy from all of them particularly from Kane. 

Walker and Saka did well at times, but we had nothing on the left. When we passed out we inevitably, eventually humped it as Denmark hunted down the player in possession in packs. 

Denmark played the football Mr Manning would like to play, England played the football we actually play 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

You said average yet they play at the highest levels of the game, have medals galore and have had top players in their back pockets during games. Plenty of managers at top clubs all over Europe would take them. What do you define as average? If this England team was the sum of its parts they would turn Denmark over every day.

Our problems tonight all stemmed from the middle of the park, put someone like Kante in that side and it’s completely different but as we don’t have that player Gareth has got to do a lot better than try a right back in the middle. Daft experiment that thankfully we will have seen the last of.

David May and Nicky Butt both won League titles FA cups  and the Champions league with Man Utd neither were exactly world class were they many players have won medals whilst being pretty average.

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

7 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

I’m sure many will disagree but I think Kane is part of the problem and the way he is playing 

Depends how you want the team to play.

He can hold the ball , go past players , has a good touch and a good range of passing. Get the players bombing on when he drops a little deep and it will work. 

What he isn't good for is a press , this was a bit of a problem today, but it wasn't just him.

I think he is part of the problem when he drops deep into a midfield low block . There were times we needed to be able to hit a target, to force their defence back or give them something to worry about.
We defended with 10, so if we won the ball and they were pressing, it was incredibly hard to play out and no option to go longer. 

I would love us to be growing into the Tournament , there is little sign so far

6 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

We won't need to be to lose against one of the best sides

Teams improve and we have very good players. Argentina lost to Saudi Arabia and won the World Cup so I’m not worried yet…..Just effing annoyed. 

• Like 1

Just now, SecretSam said:

More energy in the first 3 mins of Spain v Italy than in all of the Eng game

Was just about to type the same thing. England are infuriating. We've been involved in the only two turgid games of the tournament so far. 

• Like 1

Just now, REDOXO said:

Teams improve and we have very good players. Argentina lost to Saudi Arabia and won the World Cup so I’m not worried yet…..Just effing annoyed. 

Exactly this. Still think we will let ourselves down defensively later in the tournament but Southgate has got to sort the middle of the park out. Whether that’s Bellingham dropping back and Foden going 10 or Gallagher/Mainoo/Wharton coming in. What he can’t do is play a right back in there who was so shot he stopped showing for the ball.

Just now, SecretSam said:

More energy in the first 3 mins of Spain v Italy than in all of the Eng game

Spain manager does not have a clue

Why would you play a LEFT footed wide man on the LEFT

and a RIGHT footed player on the RIGHT side

14 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Should’ve taken Bellingham off. He was pony. 

Gallagher improved us last game when coming on for Trent. It wasn’t that crazy for him to make that change.

We’ve had one of these stinking games in the group stage the last 3 tournaments now, (USA, Scotland) I’m hoping we follow it up with a good win to go in to the knockouts with a bit of confidence.

Hmmm what to say? I dozed off second half. It was turgid shite and no clue what the plan was. Even our best player Jude looked disinterested.

We have a lot of work to do. Also wtf was the pitch all about? Never seen one rip up so easily. A crap evening all round and Cole Palmer must be seething. What does he have to do to get some gametime? Even Mr Reliable Declan Rice had a bad game, which rarely happens.

Fair play to Guehi though. The one sparkle 

Meh.

Edited by TonyTonyTony
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

Spain manager does not have a clue

Why would you play a LEFT footed wide man on the LEFT

and a RIGHT footed player on the RIGHT side

Bloody Brexit 

• Like 1

I only got home in time to see the last 15mins or so - having followed comments on OTIB on the way home (always the source of truth!).

Got home sat down and in the space of two minutes saw four passing errors that caused us problems and was already raising my voice at the TV.  Also, what was Pickford doing coming up to the half way line to take a free kick only to pass it sideways and run back?

Anyway, rapidly got annoyed and started to think about @exAtyeoMax comment about Demarks quality shirt. Not that I am one to buy current shirts but....would it be acceptable to buy one and stick a BCFC robin logo on it :)

• Robin 1

Turgid poor and tactically off it totally agree , but also doesn’t help that even when playing poorly we can’t ( fans included ) look at the bigger picture we are still in a very strong position to get out of the group yet rather than just try and control they game and get the point we needed we seemed to be over desperate to try to win it as if it was a knock out game by doing this we were gifting Denmark to much ball and subsequently chances , 

pitch was a shocker ( for both ) mind 

1 minute ago, Super said:

Spain look so good.

They do, and should be ahead, but the energy and commitment from both sides is on another scale to us earlier. And we looked knackered at the end!

4 minutes ago, redkev said:

Turgid poor and tactically off it totally agree , but also doesn’t help that even when playing poorly we can’t ( fans included ) look at the bigger picture we are still in a very strong position to get out of the group yet rather than just try and control they game and get the point we needed we seemed to be over desperate to try to win it as if it was a knock out game by doing this we were gifting Denmark to much ball and subsequently chances , 

pitch was a shocker ( for both ) mind 

Get what you’re saying, but for me putting performances like that in won’t do the players confidence or belief any good for future games.

That isn’t a confidence building performance to look forward to the next game 

• Like 1

I can't comprehend how poor the press was from England today. 

It strikes me that currently we need teams to sit off against us as we are unable to move the ball quickly enough. As soon as a team presses we panic and cannot retain posession, don't press and then sit deeper and deeper.

All the attacking play is going down the right. We need balance.

The full backs are sitting too deep.

Rice and TAA are unable to dictate the tempo. 

Kane does not seem fit

The players seem massively undercooked

9 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Hmmm what to say? I dozed off second half. It was turgid shite and no clue what the plan was. Even our best player Jude looked disinterested.

We have a lot of work to do. Also wtf was the pitch all about? Never seen one rip up so easily. A crap evening all round and Cole Palmer must be seething. What does he have to do to get some gametime? Even Mr Reliable Declan Rice had a bad game, which rarely happens.

Fair play to Guehi though. The one sparkle 

Meh.

I remember last Euro when England lost in the final  on penalties to Italy. The group games were exactly the same as this time around - slow, turgid, boring and dull especially 0-0 against Scotland at Wembley……….:sleeping: but England reached the final……….:cool2:

Its obviously Southgate modus operandi in major tournaments to get thru the group stage and this time England are almost certainly thru.

Once into the last 16 he takes of the shackles.

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

I remember last Euro when England lost in the final  on penalties to Italy. The group games were exactly the same as this time around - slow, turgid, boring and dull especially 0-0 against Scotland at Wembley……….:sleeping: but England reached the final……….:cool2:

Its obviously Southgate modus operandi in major tournaments to get thru the group stage and this time England are almost certainly thru.

I think you're being a bit hopeful there RR

1 minute ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Just checked and Ivory Coast sacked manager in group stages of AFCON finals and went on to win them.

I think it's because they thought they hadn't qualified from the group stage so sacked him when infact they had? 

20 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Not quite sure i remember that, but i do agree that the tournament doesnt really start until the knockouts. However our form is poor

• Like 1

Collectively we were very poor and got worse as the game went on. Denmark looked much more hungry for it and we stood off them. Their goal was great strike but I would have expected our players to be busting a gut to close him down to make it more difficult. 

After watching today's England game, tonight's Italy / Spain is a complete antidote. Players with ball running t the oppos. Those without the ball moving around to provide options to whoever has the ball.Hopefully the England team are watching this and seeing how football should be played. A good game to watch for neutrals.

Speaking of which; the flags of Portugal, Scotland, Hungary and Germany all visible tonight.Is POTD available to fill the stadia?

Has he seriously come out and said we are struggling as we don’t have a natural replacement for Kalvin ******* Phillips? 

I was enjoying the Euros. Watching us has taken any enjoyment from it and I’ve sacked off tonight’s game. Only the second I’ve missed. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 22A said:

After watching today's England game, tonight's Italy / Spain is a complete antidote. Players with ball running t the oppos. Those without the ball moving around to provide options to whoever has the ball.Hopefully the England team are watching this and seeing how football should be played. A good game to watch for neutrals.

Speaking of which; the flags of Portugal, Scotland, Hungary and Germany all visible tonight.Is POTD available to fill the stadia?

A large portion of the tickets are sold in a ballot before the draw is even made. Most of the games are sold out but there are a few tickets available to certain games on the Euro 2024 website now mainly in the 400euro bracket

6 minutes ago, 22A said:

They’re making so much more use of the whole pitch tonight…..both sides. Far more open, far less congested, and playing into spaces.

Sadly, amongst the flags, the one I keep seeing is that effing Bristol R####s one!!

23 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

Player ratings in for England game on BBC.

Spoiler alert: no England player over 6

TAA got more than 3, which is astonishing. I gave him 1/10.

Eze … did he actually contribute anything after he came on? 

Certainly would be challenging Trent for that 1 ‘tying up his boot laces correctly’ rating for me. 

19 minutes ago, Jose said:

Has he seriously come out and said we are struggling as we don’t have a natural replacement for Kalvin ******* Phillips? 

I was enjoying the Euros. Watching us has taken any enjoyment from it and I’ve sacked off tonight’s game. Only the second I’ve missed. 

Yep, of all the midfielders we've got he thinks Phillips is the key one! 

In his world Phillips and Henderson would be a world beating duo. 

Edited by Fpcity

4 minutes ago, Fpcity said:

Yep, of all the midfielders we've got he thinks Phillips is the key one! 

In his world Phillips and Henderson would be a world beating duo. 

Tonight might be his defining interview.

+++++

Rumours that Potter turned down Leicester because he’ll be England Manager next.

• Like 3